Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

My job had a virtual meeting this morning to go over the layoffs we had yesterday. At the end of the meeting, the architect of the layoffs told us that we all "need to heal now". Do CEOs go to a special school to learn how to be a tone deaf rear end in a top hat, or is it just a special talent they innately have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lamb posted:

My job had a virtual meeting this morning to go over the layoffs we had yesterday. At the end of the meeting, the architect of the layoffs told us that we all "need to heal now". Do CEOs go to a special school to learn how to be a tone deaf rear end in a top hat, or is it just a special talent they innately have?

its just the natural result of the latest movement to try to make companies socially-conscious as a method of avoiding regulation and taxation and to try to inspire easily-exploitable company loyalty instead of just being upfront that their only purpose is to make money.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
We need to heal now (because your melancholy reduces profits)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we just forget about the lives i may have just ruined and focus on keeping me happy so I don't do it again?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

we need to heal from this lest the remainder of you are become unhappy enough to realize that this is the best environment to move to a different job/company in living memory.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Heal your resume and go somewhere else for more money

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RC Cola posted:

Keep these coming

We have 11 SmartPac machines. 3 on one line that have already been converted, 8 on another line that have yet to be converted. We thought they were only gonna convert those 3, but then we noticed how low on pallets of film we are. It turns out management is just waiting until we run out of the old puffy film to convert all the machines to polybag.

As for that manager, he was actually good other than his one bad habit of "I must always defend/kiss up to the company if one of my workers complains about it." Just some brown-nosing reflex that overcame every other part of his brain when triggered. It also came with an "I'm a manager so I have a better view of this building and how it works than someone who's on the ground floor but has been here 3+ years to my 3 months." Seeing him just be utterly broken was one of the best moments working with him. One of the worst moments it flared up was during a holiday season he shut down the gift-wrap line early: we'd cleared (or missed) all of our deadlines for the night and wanted us all on any other pack process to get pure numbers up. Giftwrap is so slow (only about 20-30 shipments/hour per person) but is ever so slightly important during December.

Me: "We miss horribly the first few deadlines of the night every night because we keep doing this poo poo. If we keep 2-3 people here we can actually maybe get ahead a bit and help set days up for success so we miss less giftwrap deadlines tomorrow night."

Him: "No, no, see actually when we miss shipments it just goes to other buildings in the FC network that aren't just as busy."

I just stood there and stared at him, unable to believe he'd said something so stupid that it stripped the ability for me to form words and properly tear him a new one for that. He was wrong for 1 major reason:

THIS IS loving HOLIDAY PEAK YOU DUMBASS: THERE ISN'T ANY SUCH THING AS A "LESS BUSY FULFILLMENT CENTER" IN THE NETWORK! 95% of those shipments we missed were just going to boomerang right back to our queue, only as priority shipments that would cost more if (when) we missed them again. I really wish I'd torn into him then and there but the statement was so wrong it took me 20-30 minutes for the statement to fully parse, and by that point what was done was done and it would take working against inertia to try to get him to re-open the pack process for the night.

Shame about him being halfway decent. Then again managers generally last 6-9 months before they're promoted on to the next department/step in their career so I've really stopped caring about them. The only manager I paid enough attention to him to consider him outright "bad" got his rear end fired when he transferred to outbound dock and started a plan with 2 other managers that can best be summed up as "Improve productivity by actively angering everyone in your department." It takes a lot to fire a manager. Turns out "pissing off a department until 2/3 of a department's workers walks out mid-shift in a hasty strike to protest you and your other manager buddies" is an excellent way to get your employment terminated in less than 48 hours. It only took so long because HR had to properly research everything to figure out what they'd put in the paperwork.

"Well Actually" manager was a decent manager and actual human being with one horrible/unfortunate reflex. "I triggered an impromptu strike on my rear end" manager was was an rear end that gave me such wonderful conversations:

Him: "Do you watch Game of Thrones?"

Me: "No."

Him: "Oh. Well do you know who you remind me of?"

Me: "I know enough from osmosis, especially when my college room mates were reading the books, that whatever you say cannot possibly end well."

Him: "You're Hodor."

Me: "..."

Him: "You're the strong, silent type and..."

Me: "Silent because he can only say his name, died horribly because he was a half-decent person. So you think I'm of limited utility and someone to be backstabbed at your convenience."

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

we need to heal from this lest the remainder of you are become unhappy enough to realize that this is the best environment to move to a different job/company in living memory.

I'm 10 months in. I wasn't rich but I made about $90k/year at my last job. All I've received from job searching for those 10 months afterward have been offers to be a delivery driver, continue working in software for $12/hr, offers to be cashiers at weed dispensaries, openings to make minimum wage at a convenience store, etc.

Yeah, there are jobs. Jobs for teenagers who still live at home and don't have rent, mortgages, car payments, groceries, internet, phone, etc bills to pay. Yeah. There are jobs. If you're 15. If you're an unemployed 41 year old software QA analyst, there are only abusive, insulting wages from companies taking advantage of the current situation and they pay less than what I made in my late teens in Wisconsin. It's absolutely crushing.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

And I'll follow up by talking not about something dumb my job in my late teens did but something dumb that happened there.

It was a computer sales and repair shop and my uncle was my manager. One day, someone brought in a PC saying it was acting strange and wanted us to figure it out. Taking off the side panel of the case, cockroaches just started raining out of the inside of it. My uncle put the side back in place and carried it out of the store but there were roaches scurrying out of it all over the floor on the way out. He put it on the curb and called the guy who dropped it off to let him know we would be unable to work on it. He drove up, picked it up from the curb, threw it violently into the back seat of his car, and left angrily.

Hey, wasn't OUR fault you're a disgusting slob living in squalor, idiot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Alkydere posted:

Him: "You're Hodor."

Lmao, you wouldn't tell Hodor he reminded me of Hodor. How dumb can a person be?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Markets select the most sociopathic people at each rung of the ladder to advance upwards so by the time you get to the top the people there are really quite sociopathic.

Humans are socially expected to demonstrate empathy or compassion in certain circumstances but sociopaths of course completely lack both of these mental functions, so they perform the motions of what they think these hoo-mons call empathy or compassion in an attempt to satisfy said social expectations. Some Silicon Valley executives in particular are really quite comically inept at these performances, but this sort of thing occurs in other industries too of course.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Outrail posted:

Lmao, you wouldn't tell Hodor he reminded me of Hodor. How dumb can a person be?

I did everything I could to warn him off with body language and tone of my voice from answering the question but he continued.

I knew that no matter what, comparing me to a GoT character would be bad because when my college roomies were reading Song of Ice and Fire I learned that every character was (Chose all that apply):
-Killed because they were a halfway decent person
-Killed because they were a horrible person
-Killed because they were unlucky
-Killed because their death amused someone
-Alive only due to a mixture of dumb luck and being an exceptionally horrible person.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

lamb posted:

Once at a big evil company I was working at, immediately after a big layoff was announced and the victims had left the building, the big boss of our office called the survivors in for an all-hands meeting. He started with an appeal to reality, saying (truthfully) that the industry had taken a downturn, and we were far from the only company cutting staff. He then immediately switched to happy mode and assured us that our ex-coworkers wouldn't be out of a job for long, since companies all over the industry were hiring like mad.

It was the clearest way he could possibly have communicated the message "Not only do I have no loyalty to you, not only will I lie to you, I also think you're all stupid enough that I don't even need to come up with plausible lies."

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
A long time ago, I worked for an unremittingly lovely management consulting firm (but I repeat myself).  I'd been working there for a while when a new person joined the team during what was possibly the worst week* that company ever had:

Monday:  New hire gets introduced to everyone at the office, seems nice and eager.  A big storm front blows through the area that afternoon, killing the power to the entire block.  Rather than let us go, they kept us there for the balance of the day, in pitch darkness and increasing heat/odors, trying to make cold calls using phone books and flashlights.  (Because of course the phones still worked.)
Tuesday:  We get in to discover that yesterday's storm not only knocked out our power, but had also caused some flooding in the basement--where the staff restrooms were located.  The water was still there and about 8 inches deep, and didn't get pumped out until after lunch.
Wednesday:  Someone calls a bomb threat in to the building.  We find out about this from our department manager, who looks very sympathetic but also tired and helpless, telling us that we "can leave the building if you like, but it'll get counted against your lunch hour."  The biggest disappointment of the day is that no bomb is found on the premises.
Thursday:  New hire doesn't show up, has located a different job but thanks for the experience!

* I would imagine the week they finally shut the doors for good might have been a touch worse, but whatever.  Their location was razed to the ground and replaced by some very nice condos I'll never be able to afford; good riddance.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I hesitate to say some of the most egregious negative points about my last company out of fear of a retaliatory libel suit but remembered that their entire business model is endlessly recording communications forever and has every bit that would back up my claims carefully archived.

And, if they don't, they're in even worse trouble.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Catastrophe posted:

continue working in software for $12/hr

I don't think I've seen a job in software making $12/hr ever. While lots of job markets are hosed up right now, software development is a particularly good job market to be in.

What stack are you working with/have experience with that this is what you're left with? Are you looking in some very middle of nowhere market? Have you explored remote jobs?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Catastrophe posted:

I hesitate to say some of the most egregious negative points about my last company out of fear of a retaliatory libel suit but remembered that their entire business model is endlessly recording communications forever and has every bit that would back up my claims carefully archived.

And, if they don't, they're in even worse trouble.

To be honest I'd never expect you to be a stenographer.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think I've seen a job in software making $12/hr ever. While lots of job markets are hosed up right now, software development is a particularly good job market to be in.

What stack are you working with/have experience with that this is what you're left with? Are you looking in some very middle of nowhere market? Have you explored remote jobs?

If you're not in the trendy part, with some well known brand on your resume, it's brutal. Getting a job with a well known multinational nearly doubled my salary and more importantly, switched my job applications from "send out 20 applications, get one reply" to "check email to see who is inviting me to interviews this week"

And I'm not even talking about a FAANG company. Those guys get a new contact every day. At least, the ones I know do.

IT is only slightly less difficult to break into than the music industry. If you're on the right side of the line, jobs are trivial. On the other side, you get doors slammed in your face non-stop.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Background: In Finland, and maybe other nordics, its very common to have power outlets at parking spots for block heaters, cabin heaters, and/or battery tenders. For clearing your windows and prewarming your car in winter. These outlets usually have a 2h timer clock on them to conserve power. Ours doesn't, its 24/7 always on. Because we run out own powerplant, partially hydro, partially wood chips and other biomass.

About half a year ago one of our middle managers decided to randomly ban charging hybrids from parking outlets. He announced this on our Site Intranet, with comments enabled.

Cue shitstorm where employees demanded answers to exactly why and how would they be able to tell if a car was using its charging cable to hear or charge?
How exactly was this an issue when hybrids can regulate their own charging and stop it when full vs. heaters which just blast heat until power is disconnected?
After failing to actually answer any of these and other questions the comments were locked with basically "We just decided so, shut up."

This issue has been forwarded to our Site Manager, highest ranking dude outside of Corp HQ as far as we are concerned, by the employees. The employees argued this is in direct violation with our company's stated goal of minimizing CO2 emissions. This middle-manager is going under a bus and he doesn't even know it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Lmao at the people saying IT and software dev is a hard to break into industry with bad pay. Nah the problem is you. Get over to the resume threads in BFC or YOSPOS and we’ll get you on your way. Lots of hiring managers in there.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

lamb posted:

During the round of layoffs I was caught in last year management kept saying it was for "the good of the company" (i.e. shareholders) but I don't think anything's ever been done for the good of the employees.

Giant corporations are just weird places and weird to work for. Once a company gets above a certain size human rules start to fail and other, strange rules take over.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CarForumPoster posted:

Lmao at the people saying IT and software dev is a hard to break into industry with bad pay. Nah the problem is you. Get over to the resume threads in BFC or YOSPOS and we’ll get you on your way. Lots of hiring managers in there.

The hard part is wading through a sea of cargo culters who insist you know how to do a very specific problem from Cracking the Code Interview despite their main product is being fart apps

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

This is the complain-about-work thread, not the entitled techbro thread.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dongsturm posted:

Oh uhhh

My hand cramps sometimes because my ergonomic mouse broke and now I’m using an unergonomic stylish one.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dongsturm posted:

um yes

i'm not as motivated to do anything while working at home as i am in an office but i don't want to stop working from home

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I hate my job but it's not because of anything happening at the company. I just hate working.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cthulu Carl posted:

I had a job that did that. It was only as I walked out I realized after a year and a half there that THAT's what the tiny conference rooms in the lobby were for.

"Execution chambers" is what I've heard them called.

Theoretically they're for short meetings with venders and whatnot where it's not practical to bring them in past all the security theatre. But, yeah, they for loving over staff and getting them out of the building in the most efficient way possible while still trying to keep it a surprise beforehand.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Every place I've worked has had a multitude of small meeting rooms you'd use if you needed to call someone or have a meeting with just two people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

champagne posting posted:

Every place I've worked has had a multitude of small meeting rooms you'd use if you needed to call someone or have a meeting with just two people.

At one of my jobs we called em Crying Rooms after an employee asked that we put fogged glass over them so they could have a private place to cry.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Barudak posted:

At one of my jobs we called em Crying Rooms after an employee asked that we put fogged glass over them so they could have a private place to cry.

As part of the remodel my office did for "post-Covid", they added these weird phone booth looking things at intervals on the call center floor. They have a single built-in chair and small desk big enough for a laptop.

We Think they're for if a call center person has to make a private call, but we're calling them suicide booths.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I hate my job but it's not because of anything happening at the company. I just hate working.

:same:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the phrase "at a high level" is the most meaningless bullshit

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

20 Blunts posted:

the phrase "at a high level" is the most meaningless bullshit

Its just codeword for "above your paygrade now get back to work you pawn"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
For me 'high level' means 'dumb bullshit that doesn't really make any sense but we still need to take it into account because SOMEONE powerful will make our lives difficult if we dont'.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress a job.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
high level is used in my org to mean a brief overview
e: it makes sense to me but i dont care for it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

stump collector posted:

high level is used in my org to mean a brief overview
e: it makes sense to me but i dont care for it

Same. High level for us is like task descriptions without getting into the specifics of what it takes to complete those tasks.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

:same: I just wanna do poo poo because I like to do it, even if I had unlimited money I could be doing the same thing and enjoy it more because it's only work if I'm doing it to earn a living/pay the bills. I'm confused

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cthulu Carl posted:

As part of the remodel my office did for "post-Covid", they added these weird phone booth looking things at intervals on the call center floor. They have a single built-in chair and small desk big enough for a laptop.

We Think they're for if a call center person has to make a private call, but we're calling them suicide booths.

Oh yeah, those things.

I swear they're scientifically designed to get uncomfortable after about ten minutes, to keep people from camping in them all day. There still aren't nearly enough of them scattered around. (Or weren't, anyway, I haven't seen the office in a year and a half.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I take shits at a high level. Performance shits