Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

They are ridable in the rain but i rrrrrreally prefer not to.

hell i don't even like driving in the rain. that stuff is slick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well there's also the fact that anybody riding a two-wheeled vehicle on us highways has to ride as if everybody around them were actively trying to murder them the moment a shred of plausible deniability presents itself

because a handful of those other people are in fact trying to do this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

riding on highways sucks huge rear end and i try to avoid it as much as possible.

also riding in the city. anywhere you're likely to interact with cars is bad, because car drivers are broadly clueless even when they aren't actively trying to kill you.

the best place for a motorcycle is a two lane winding country road. that is lovely

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

akadajet posted:

people who ride motorcycles are as dumb as people who shoot guns

a gun's primary purpose is to kill other people
a motorcycle's primary purpose is to kill its operator

they're still both cool tho, doesn't mean everyone should own one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

where the nature of the person's work means that nearly all the motorcyclists they interact with are the ones that are badly injured or dead. my grandmother told me that her father, town doctor in the 1950s, forbade any of his family members from getting a motorcycle because "he'd had to put too many young kids back together." which like yeah, absolutely true, but also in 1955 you're riding a 600 pound ww2 surplus harley davidson with spoon brakes and a suicide shifter on dirt roads and the only protective gear available is a leather football helmet and if you wear one people will call you a fairy.

here is a nice frog.

thank you for forg

Also because I am nice I am not going to tell her you said this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

polyester concept posted:

a gun's primary purpose is to kill other people
a motorcycle's primary purpose is to kill its operator

they're still both cool tho, doesn't mean everyone should own one.

they both fulfill libertarian power fantasies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

:rolleyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i can understand people being nervous about the safety of motorcycling. but on the other hand, there is nothing quite like the feeling of stomping a kick starter while cranking the throttle and feeling an engine explode to life between your legs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its probably pretty fun to shoot a gun from a motorcycle. anyone tried it?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i can understand people being nervous about the safety of motorcycling. but on the other hand, there is nothing quite like the feeling of stomping a kick starter while cranking the throttle and feeling an engine explode to life between your legs.

maybe you should buy a sybian

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Okay to be perfectly clear I think she was significantly motivated by the fact that I am a clumsy bitch because my old roommate had a motorcycle and she never got the lecture 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

maybe you should buy a sybian

redundant!! i already have two motorcycles!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

akadajet posted:

lmao i do both, come get me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It's called a Hitachi hth

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Midjack posted:

i don't need to come get you, you're probably going to hurt yourself on your own

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

i don't need to come get you, you're probably going to hurt yourself on your own

hilarious gimmick

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

>:(

Gifs are so stupid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

shoei is good helmets

i have a blue RF-SR and will proably get this one for my next

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the Icon Airframe Statistic is one of the most clever and harley-rider (and half helmet wearer) trolling helmets

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ocean of Milk posted:

>:(

Gifs are so stupid

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if I were dictator I would unironically ban motorcycles

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
If I were just a regular president, I would ironically ban them

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

No ring:

(Couldn't justify keeping an unproductive asset at the expense of my retirement account / horsefucking nest egg)

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

where the nature of the person's work means that nearly all the motorcyclists they interact with are the ones that are badly injured or dead. my grandmother told me that her father, town doctor in the 1950s, forbade any of his family members from getting a motorcycle because "he'd had to put too many young kids back together."
My ma was an ER nurse and said the same thing as that town doctor, except it was the 90s not the 50s. And while I agree ER staff have a sampling bias, it's also true that motorcyclists are likely to come off a lot worse in multi-vehicle crashes. Cagers have airbags and crumple zones and sheer mass to protect them, motorcyclists have (hopefully) a helmet and protective gear, and that's it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I rode for a few years, and probably will ride again at some point when my life has slowed down some, but the thing about motorcycles is that even low-speed crashes have the potential for expensive damage and painful injury.

I agree that if they had never existed before and somebody invented motorcycles in the 1980s or later, they would have been immediately and permanently banned from public roads. That said they are absolutely cool as hell and there's no experience like it, the only thing that I do that recaptures that same feeling is descending hills on a bicycle at 35mph+, which has exactly the same potential for injury or death, and also I'm wearing nothing but lycra and a bicycle helmet, and riding on 28mm tubed tires with cable operated brakes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

just make them all get painted with "this machine kills enthusiasts"

filthy regex posted:

No ring:

(Couldn't justify keeping an unproductive asset at the expense of my retirement account / horsefucking nest egg)

wait is this a type of vibrator?

brains
May 12, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

well there's also the fact that anybody riding a two-wheeled vehicle on us highways has to ride as if everybody around them were actively trying to murder them the moment a shred of plausible deniability presents itself

because a handful of those other people are in fact trying to do this

when i was 18 i wanted to get a bike but i found myself in daytona beach watching on a daily basis people on bikes nearly (and sometimes actually :() get obliterated by some lunatic crossing 10 lanes of traffic.

and that was before smartphones. riding around any populated area in the US now seems like a matter of when, not if. now, out west or in super rural areas where it's all backroads with no traffic? sounds like a great time, but the risk is still there.

minato posted:

My ma was an ER nurse and said the same thing as that town doctor, except it was the 90s not the 50s. And while I agree ER staff have a sampling bias, it's also true that motorcyclists are likely to come off a lot worse in multi-vehicle crashes. Cagers have airbags and crumple zones and sheer mass to protect them, motorcyclists have (hopefully) a helmet and protective gear, and that's it.

i have a family member who's a neurologist in a small country where bikes and motor scooters are super popular, and something like 40% of his case load is MRIs of 18-25yr old men post bike accident.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

sure, why on earth wouldn't you ban automobiles first tho.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

everyone talks about how you can die so easily on motorcycles but don't underestimate the effects of lifetime chronic pain from non life threatening injuries

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

sure, why on earth wouldn't you ban automobiles first tho.

cars are cool

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

akadajet posted:

cars are cool
so are motorbikes. who are we kidding here

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

akadajet posted:

cars are cool
this but actually the exact opposite

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's the world's cleanest CRX on autotrader for 9k right now. that's a cool car.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Jonny 290 posted:

like 90% of "motorcycles are dangerous, i knew a guy who...." stories involve somebody who was either riding drunk/pilled up or not wearing a helmet. Possibly in the rain. They are ridable in the rain but i rrrrrreally prefer not to.

my motorbike story is some rear end in a top hat didn’t see me and didn’t give way, smashed into me. I was in hospital for ages and if it weren’t for a very talented surgeon I would have lost my right arm at the shoulder.

I had my protective gear and it was a sunny morning.

I must be the 10%.

I only ride motorbikes on the farm now (which statistically is far more dangerous…). I have no need or desire to ride on the road anymore.

that’s my motorbike story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3yyndHL8k

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Here's a cool cruiser, nerds

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that looks cool

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

our cabling contractor is also in that 10%. he was going through a 50km/h street when someone pulled out from their driveway and t-boned him, almost severing his foot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bobmarleysghost posted:

our cabling contractor is also in that 10%. he was going through a 50km/h street when someone pulled out from their driveway and t-boned him, almost severing his foot.

from networking to notwalking

Johnny what can you tell me about relational databases
I don't know anythin'...

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 13, 2021