Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well for now I like the new mode. As long as they keep adding content for it it seems decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I played Mercenaries for about 3 hours today, I am fairly frustrated about some aspects of the game.. as others have pointed out some of the factions are not actually identified on the cards (Horde and Alliance are the ones I've run into so far with my Mercenaries) which makes selecting a bonus difficult to place into a proper context.

Furthermore, when you are selecting a bonus after a fight you can't see any of your other mercenaries or their abilities. This is very frustrating because it makes selecting a skill that synergizes between Mercenaries unnecessarily dependent on memorization of the details of each character's abilities (for example, which mercenaries have spells with the arcane or holy type and what those skills are).

Along the same line, I would like to be able to actually view the abilities of the main enemy I'm fighting prior to the selection of the characters so I can make a better decision as to how to order my mercenaries. I don't think i should be punished for putting the blue character instead of the green dude next to the red character with taunt when I had no way of knowing that the enemy in this encounter's primary attack / skill has a swipe effect... maybe that's part of the intended challenge of the game, but it feels lovely. having side enemies to pad out the fights with un-forecasted abilities is fine, but some information is appreciated on the main threats that you will be faced with going in.

**and I mean, I guess the swipe example is a bad one because in theory you have enough information from controlling the position of your taunt minion and knowing the class of the enemy to play around that, but there are skills with no counterplay without advanced warning such as spells that target your lowest attack / highest health minion. You end up in a lost game state and conceding the run, and then the next time you fight the boss you know the gimmick to play around and have a free win.

I tried leveling up some of the additional mercenaries I discovered but I found their skills to be so mis-matched or unsuited to the encounters I had available. The fun went out of the game and it became a matter of grinding levels on otherwise pointless cards that I don't have any reason to use in the present so that when the time comes at some unknowable point in the future they'll be useful. I'm not really a fan of that kind of gameplay.

I'll check back in on it daily for the next week or two and do the quests that pop up, but I doubt I will get much out of this game mode.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 13, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You can stick a low level goon or two in your squad and they level up while your main characters do all the actual fighting. I don't think you're supposed to take a bunch of low level schmucks into the easiest quest as it takes a while to level them that way vs taking them along for the ride in a hard dungeon where they'll gain multiple levels each encounter at the start.

Edit: Also I randomly opened Diablo and the Lich King so nuh huh pre-orders, didn't need you anyway

Flayer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 13, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Does anyone know if a 3-merc party gets different per-merc experience than a 6-merc party for clearing the same encounter?

Basically I'm wondering, if I want to level up 3 particular heros fast, whether it would be more efficient to have other much-weaker dudes along for the ride or not.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
PvP does not boost up your mercenaries, so make sure you're bringing your leveled dudes and not the squad with some runts, because your opponent will definitely be bringing their high level dudes.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I played quite a bit yesterday and really like the new mode. There's plenty to figure out, squad building is fun, working for quests or "tasks" to boost up characters is a good driver for replay, the pvp feels really deep but also fair. and the collecting aspect is good. The single player is also a decent challenge.

I was reading some people worried that it would be a gatcha style game where the highest rarity wipes out all the other rarities. This isn't the case here.

Overall I am happy with the game and look forward to putting some time into it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What I like most about it is that the battles are fast. No half hour drawn out grind down priest games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

Yeah they really assume you know WoW lore. Basically Human, Night Elf, Draenei, Gnome, and Dwarf are Alliance(mostly the “pretty” races) and Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead, and Blood Elf are Horde(The “ugly” races). Most of the monsters should be neither. Of course there are exceptions(Valeera is an Alliance Blood Elf, and Lich King is a non-aligned Human) but that’s the general rule.

It feels like while it may have been playtested, it wasn't blind tested. Blind testing is where you give the game to someone who knows nothing about it and then monitor how the player experiences the game. It totally seems like whoever was playing this had played it a thousand times and the stuff that's tripping us beginners up was already baked into the playtesters.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
There’s quite a discrepancy in the play styles of single player vs pvp. Single player is like “ok here are the possibilities, do some math and you kind of can’t lose.” PVP is like “oh you didn’t memorize every possible combo and ability they could have used? Ok, well get hosed then!”

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

What’s the point of the pvp in Mercenaries?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
What is the point of making us build a bunch of buildings for free that are just menu options that can't be upgraded.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mr Beens posted:

What is the point of making us build a bunch of buildings for free that are just menu options that can't be upgraded.

To ease you into paying gold for later upgrades. Like candy cigarettes or whatever.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I assume the mysterious stranger only give you a bonus task the first time it's picked and replaying the bounty won't give you any more tasks later?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Elysium posted:

There’s quite a discrepancy in the play styles of single player vs pvp. Single player is like “ok here are the possibilities, do some math and you kind of can’t lose.” PVP is like “oh you didn’t memorize every possible combo and ability they could have used? Ok, well get hosed then!”

Pvp in HS also relies on you knowing the meta decks right? I just don't see a difference. There will be meta parties relatively soon, we just don't know what they are yet. What I'm concerned about is if you can build those parties without paying just like you can build HS meta decks without paying.

In other news, I and a lot of other players can't open our packs because we can't build the merchant cart. SIGH.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

I assume the mysterious stranger only give you a bonus task the first time it's picked and replaying the bounty won't give you any more tasks later?

It likes most heros have a task chain to unlock stuff, you get 1 or 2 randomly each day, that stranger makes more appear, so it looks like the intention is that you have a lot of them

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Adregan posted:

What’s the point of the pvp in Mercenaries?

I think I saw a post that said you get more experience (or coins?) from PvP. But also, theoretically people might find it fun.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Context posted:

I think I saw a post that said you get more experience (or coins?) from PvP. But also, theoretically people might find it fun.

It's my favourite thing in the app right now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Blasmeister posted:

Ok I got a second one on the Kodakbane bounty so this can’t be it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Beyond the bugfixes and the stalemates which desperately need solutions, I hope that they let you craft portraits at some point. I hate having my Thrall look like dog water lol

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I got to the Xyrella task 5 that says I need to use her to finish a bounty at level 30. Has anyone else gotten that one yet, because I think it's bugged. I have finished bounties with her alive and dead, and even ones that recommend level 30 but it hasn't completed yet.

edit: ok, a blue post about known patch issues says it's a known bug. That really halts my task progression so that sucks.

Lister fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 13, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't even understand how to get a Task 2, let alone a Task 5.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Elysium posted:

I don't even understand how to get a Task 2, let alone a Task 5.

so far both of the task 2s I've found were from having a hero visit a mysterious stranger from the Mystery option on a bounty map

mercenaries mode is kinda neat I guess but I don't think I'm gonna keep playing it much, nor spend gold, let alone money

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I get the same vibes from Mercs as I did from the WoW pet fighting thing. It was hard to place exactly what the mode reminded me of at first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like Lich King is considered Horde for some reason. He was Undead in previews so I'm guessing they just tagged every Undead as Horde but forgot to change it when they made him Human instead.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Diablo Horde or Unaffilliated?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The second Gul'dan task is 'deal 155 damage with Gift of Ner'zhul' which I assume is his second ability that got renamed in testing? Great QA, Blizz

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beasteh posted:

The second Gul'dan task is 'deal 155 damage with Gift of Ner'zhul' which I assume is his second ability that got renamed in testing? Great QA, Blizz

Yeah Rokara has a task like that too

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't play Hearthstone basically at all other than single player stuff occasionally when I'm bored, but I tried Mercenaries and basically feel like it's pretty good for free entertainment, but not remotely something that would tempt me to spend money on it. Unless it gets deeper later on, I feel like it's pretty shallow for a big advertised new game mode, though presumably playing against other players (which I'm not interested in) would add more complexity.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
It feels like they gated what could have otherwise been an interesting single player experience (with the additional potential of pvp once you've level capped a team) behind either a huge time grind or a ton of gatcha. I spend $0 on it and it's really clear the power level difference in pvp between having the different tiers of abilities and actually having equipment. As it is, I even feel like I've all but stalled out on the solo content without investing a lot of time leveling up my non-synergistic team of random heroes or money to power boost them.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Mercenaries is a fun time-waster but not as much fun as regular HS or Battlegrounds. I do like the Hs theme of it, but there could probably be better apps to simulate it for a mode that got so much effort. I kind of view it as a Boom Lab puzzle type single player mode mixed with a neat PvP battle system.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The best part about the new mode is there are no quest mages quest warlocks garrote rogues celestial druids.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Feels like they missed a ton of strategic potential by making certain attack orders and targets random instead of showing the player predicted outcomes. And needing to hover over every enemy every turn to see their intentions when 90% of the board space is empty sucks. And man it loves to waste your time with animations; I'd bet I spent 4x longer watching load screens and post game bars move than I spent thinking.

It's like they took the structure of better games but none of the details that make them intuitive and flowy. It's very nu-Blizzard in that way.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Do you get more experience if you play with a smaller party?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Minimalist warband. It sparked joy.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I think they forgot to mark Mercenaries as Early Access or something because there’s no way something this incredibly unpolished and clunky is supposed to be the full release right?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I kinda like mercenaries but man they really need to increase the depth. Like almost all the equipment is just deal more damage. And so far I don't have any team member that really work together in a meaningful way. Like so far it mostly just combo deal double damage.

Right now it just seems like you want to do a DPS race

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just logged in and got 2 Stormwind packs. Not sure why, I already opened my GM youtube packs from the weekend.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Also battlepass xp counts at the end of games is back - and you actually get a decent amount for mercenaries. I mean, they are pretty over pretty quick, so you get like 7 xp, but I walked away for about 5 minutes and got 30 or so, so it'd be over 300 xp an hour just idling in a fight. It'd be lower playing per hour xp because you'd spend so much time not in the fights.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Are the character rarities fixed, or is it possible to upgrade them so that you could eventually make them all legendary?

edit : actually, are the higher rarities more powerful or is it just a flavour thing? Glancing at some of the stats and abilities I can't tell, but then I don't really have a feel for what's good yet.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh anyone beat Emperor Thaurissian? I don't understand how it's even possible to win.

Kalko posted:

Are the character rarities fixed, or is it possible to upgrade them so that you could eventually make them all legendary?

edit : actually, are the higher rarities more powerful or is it just a flavour thing? Glancing at some of the stats and abilities I can't tell, but then I don't really have a feel for what's good yet.

Rarities are set. Legendary mercenaries are like the ones in main Hearthstone: Not necessarily the most powerful but tend to be the backbone of a comp