Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Metroid Dread is the 2021 installment in the world famous Metroid series of games. Metroid Dread, technically also Metroid 5 is the sequel to the 2002 game, Metroid Fusion and represents what is said to be the end of the Metroid saga as well as the first new Metroid game in its signature 2D style in nearly two decades.

Samus must wander into the depths of the planet ZDR as she uncovers the mysteries of the civilization that lay there and pursued by the menacing E.M.M.I set of robots.

Following our forays through all forms of Metroivanias, starting with Symphony of the Night but getting to Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Hollow Knight, Tea and I are incredibly excited to be able to tackle this on release and I will attempt to bring my own brand of (high?) skill and complete idiocy to this new Metroid installment.

To what extent does Dread learn from its predecessors. How much has it taken on from the imitations and kings of the past decade's Metroidvania revival? Will it stick to the linearity of Fusion? Will it lean into the freedom of Super? Can it indeed evoke its titular dread in us as we play through? All these questions and more will hopefully be answered as we lend our ever critical eye to this hopefully excellent new game.

From the Desk of Yorkshire Tea

I’m sure Nat was expecting some lengthy essay here, painstakingly scribed out into the small hours of the morning, wherein I would seek to establish the significance of this LP and what it represents by delving into all manner of topics – the weight of time that’s come and gone since the release of Fusion in 2002, the evolution of the genre since then, the emotional resonance the Metroid series has for us, that kind of thing. All to explain our hopefulness, our expectations, our apprehension and worry at whether Metroid itself still has a place in the world of metroidvanias.

This is not that kind of introduction. For one thing, anybody who’s reading this LP has almost certainly mused on those matters enough since Dread’s unveiling earlier this year. More importantly, poor timekeeping necessity compels me to write something shorter... but maybe that's for the better. That other kind of introduction may have been appropriate for Hollow Knight, where I knew what to expect, where the atmosphere and tone of the game practically demanded that sort of academic precis. I don’t know what to expect with Metroid Dread, and from what little I have allowed myself to see of trailers and screenshots I can tell that its atmosphere is going to be radically different.

Metroid Dread feels like the sort of game where we’re going to be thrown right into it, sink or swim. A game that almost doesn’t want to us to dwell on it beforehand too much, but to go right in and get down to business, to approach it on its own merits and let it speak for itself without the baggage of history. The fact that this is supposedly the end of the Metroid saga shouldn’t be entering into our heads at the moment. It doesn’t even really feel like it’s important right now who made it. I guess what I’m trying to say here is that this game, the story it wants to tell and the feelings it wants to evoke, had to exist. It feels like we’ve been asked to go in and help Samus finish things for good. We’re here to do a job.

Maybe Hollow Knight wasn’t the culmination of our road trip into metroidvania country. Maybe Dread is… or maybe it’s an epilogue where we walk away feeling like anything could happen next. Maybe it’s a new beginning, both for the genre, and for the series. Not an end.

About the LP

This is, by necessity, initially a completely Blind LP but I imagine over time Yorkshire Tea will race ahead of me and thus be able to offer guidance to prevent me from wandering around in circles for too long.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

The LP Beach Cross Post Thread - In case you don't feel comfortable posting on the SA forums or need to view this outside of a paywall.

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Reserved just in case:

Also it's my birthday! :toot:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Happy Birthday and Happy Thread

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Happy Birthday and Happy Dreadday! :v:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Happy birth- and dreadday!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Happy birthday Nat!

...That said, it's going to be at least a little while before I can start following along with the LP. I've managed to remain unspoiled thus far but probably won't get my hands on the game for a week or so yet. I'll be back once I've finished it, though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Happy birthday!

Also + is the map button. The Switch doesn't have a D-pad, after all, just separate directional buttons.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Having finished the video, I am already very very confused, but also interested.

It looks like the E.M.M.Is are going to be puzzle bosses encountered throughout the game that you are going to have to get past to get to a temporary buff to be able to kill them?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Very excited for this

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Happy birthday, Nat! I've spent most of today playing Dread, and it is very much a sink or swim experience; sad to say I've been doing a lot more sinking than swimming. Hoping you and Tea have a better go of it than I've been having.

Edit: that's not to say I haven't been having fun, I have, it's just the game can be a bit brutally unforgiving at points, and I just haven't been playing a lot of Metroidvanias recently, so I've got a lot of rust that needs to be shaken off on top of getting used to the controls.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Congrats Nat on learning to jump on his birthday

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1446653995808866306

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Nat you're going to have to learn to use the analog stick to aim or else you're going to be in for a rough time.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I really want to read this thread but this game is gonna be my entertainment next week on my vacation flights. Ugh! Oh well, I'll be back in the thread in a few weeks to see how you guys progress!

KaizerRyu
Mar 17, 2009

Happy birthday, Natural20!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Birthday, enjoy Dread. I too am getting my rear end kicked but have made some good progress.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Happy birthday. Now if you could tell us your mother’s maiden name, your elementary school, the last four digits of your Social Security Number….

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

here we go here we go here we go :dance:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I will also be back for this once I finish the game myself.

Echoing the happy birthdays!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Nat you're going to have to learn to use the analog stick to aim or else you're going to be in for a rough time.

I will aim up over my dead body. If jump fire was good enough for Fusion it's good enough for this.

Also thank you everyone for the wonderful Birthday wishes!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

I will aim up over my dead body. If jump fire was good enough for Fusion it's good enough for this.

Also thank you everyone for the wonderful Birthday wishes!
[Narrator voice] It won't be good enough for this.

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yas Queen (of Metroids).

Let's start with the important questions, is Space Jump in the game and will Nat curse its existence again?

E: actually watched the episode, that was not a Chozo, that was a Chozo in a power suit. Reminder that Samus' Fusion suit (even after absorbing the SA-X) is weaker than Chozo-tech.
I'm fairly sure the tutorial for opening the full map told you to use the plus button, not the d-pad.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 12, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Omobono posted:

I'm fairly sure the tutorial for opening the full map told you to use the plus button, not the d-pad.

To be fair to Nat, this got me too. I was extremely confused until I figured it out. And yes it is the plus button.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
your panicked screams are exactly what I felt

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

drat, I didn't expect you to successfully pull off a counter on an E.M.M.I so soon.

Also whoever designed the map fill in system here is a war criminal and deserves a special place in hell.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm just grateful that Nat doesn't feel compelled to jump around filling in every pixel of map like the other people I've watched play the game. I swear one of them spent a good 25% of their total playtime just filling in the map. Frustrating to watch.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Marluxia posted:

drat, I didn't expect you to successfully pull off a counter on an E.M.M.I so soon.

Also whoever designed the map fill in system here is a war criminal and deserves a special place in hell.

On the other hand oh man speedrun planning can like just say "here's the path"

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I love the map design, but I can imagine it'd be hell for people compelled to fill out literally every pixel, yeah.
The advantage is that it literally shows you 'You haven't been in this part of the room' which was a problem for Nat in Hollow Knight because he peeked in a room and later thought he'd explored it already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zurai posted:

I swear one of them spent a good 25% of their total playtime just filling in the map.
Don't doxx me.

Marluxia posted:

My first playthrough, I pulled it off once in my first hour and then never again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 14, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Hollow Knight has improved Nats parry skills at least.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd say cutscene Samus seems quite on the ball for now.
Meeting an EMMI? Couple cannon blasts right in the weak spot followed by a missile without hesitation. When that clearly didn't work, time to make like a Geococcyx Californianus* and burn the road, her current armor even has the vaguely correct coloration for that.

^^^This guy's actual real world species

Thinking back on the first video, did she Metroid drain that Not_Hyper_Beam_can't_remember_actual_designation from the remains of that Brain? Because it made me think on how she gained her abilities back from X-cores in fusion.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the brain gives the omega cannon, yes

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's two separate parry windows when the EMMI shows up: once when it's about to pin Samus, and the second time when it's about to spike her.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Quackles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's two separate parry windows when the EMMI shows up: once when it's about to pin Samus, and the second time when it's about to spike her.

That is indeed the case. However, the timing on both of them are extremely tight (3-5 frames apparently) and the timing isn't consistent, meaning that you essentially have to predict it rather than react to it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the brain gives the omega cannon, yes

No, I meant, instead of how she normally gains abilities she drained the omega cannon out of the brain through her new-ish* Metroid biology, but the brain didn't look X-infected.

*how much time has passed since Fusion?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Could be Metroid-Drain, could be her Chozo-suit working with other Chozo-tech. It's not unlikely that the Chozo had a larger interstellar empire than previously believed, and the fellow we've just met is the remnant of a hold-out colony.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I just interpreted it as like Prime Series Hyper Beam being tied to sitting in Phazon and running out when the goo drains.

Except this time mercifully the beam only turns off once you kill the jerk rather than after a given number of shots.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I believe the conjecture from Prime is that the Chozo disappeared from Tallon IV because they reached enlightenment and let go of their corporeal forms before the Phazon dragged them back.

It would be interesting if this is the guy who had no interest in being enlightened.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Some general combat tips that might be helpful and not immediately intuitive. I'm putting these in a spoiler block in case you'd rather not read them now, but they're here if you feel you want them:

-Missiles are your primary damage dealers. Regular beam shots are for small fry, charge beam is for backup when you run out of missiles or for jumping through weak enemies.

-No, seriously, I do mean primary. This isn't like Super or Fusion where depending on your point in the game the Charge Beam is as good or better than missiles. You get oodles of tanks and oodles of pickups: shoot missiles like crazy.

-Stuff hurts in this game. You're not expected to facetank damage like you can in other games. You're expected to dodge or parry everything accordingly, with energy just being your margin for screwing up with that.

-Accordingly, the more obvious an attack, the more damage it will deal as punishment for ignoring the windup. Put another way, some enemies will jab, and some enemies will Falcon Punch. The second one will hurt like hell, to a far larger degree than other Metroid games. (For example, Mother Brain's hand beams in Super do 100 damage while the far harder to dodge mouth rings do 20 damage. It's a much more vicious ratio in Dread, with a higher baseline too.)

-Aiming can seem kind of strange. You can freely aim, but you stop when doing so, right? Not quite. You can basically always freely aim while on the ground and jumping. Free aim just stops you from moving (and removes the autocorrection for around ten degrees off the horizontal in case you don't have Monkey Ball-honed precision for keeping an analog stick perfectly straight). Use Free Aim when you need complete precision or you're fine with not moving.

-In short, keep moving and don't stop shooting. Enemies in this game can feel like hard hitting bullet sponges, but that's because you're meant to constantly be doing both.

-I'm serious. Use missiles. You'll be surprised how rarely you'll run out.

-no really i'm not joking on the missiles thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rosalie_A posted:

Some general combat tips that might be helpful and not immediately intuitive. I'm putting these in a spoiler block in case you'd rather not read them now, but they're here if you feel you want them:

-Missiles are your primary damage dealers. Regular beam shots are for small fry, charge beam is for backup when you run out of missiles or for jumping through weak enemies.

-No, seriously, I do mean primary. This isn't like Super or Fusion where depending on your point in the game the Charge Beam is as good or better than missiles. You get oodles of tanks and oodles of pickups: shoot missiles like crazy.

-Stuff hurts in this game. You're not expected to facetank damage like you can in other games. You're expected to dodge or parry everything accordingly, with energy just being your margin for screwing up with that.

-Accordingly, the more obvious an attack, the more damage it will deal as punishment for ignoring the windup. Put another way, some enemies will jab, and some enemies will Falcon Punch. The second one will hurt like hell, to a far larger degree than other Metroid games. (For example, Mother Brain's hand beams in Super do 100 damage while the far harder to dodge mouth rings do 20 damage. It's a much more vicious ratio in Dread, with a higher baseline too.)

-Aiming can seem kind of strange. You can freely aim, but you stop when doing so, right? Not quite. You can basically always freely aim while on the ground and jumping. Free aim just stops you from moving (and removes the autocorrection for around ten degrees off the horizontal in case you don't have Monkey Ball-honed precision for keeping an analog stick perfectly straight). Use Free Aim when you need complete precision or you're fine with not moving.

-In short, keep moving and don't stop shooting. Enemies in this game can feel like hard hitting bullet sponges, but that's because you're meant to constantly be doing both.

-I'm serious. Use missiles. You'll be surprised how rarely you'll run out.

-no really i'm not joking on the missiles thing

TL;DR: Use missiles way more often than you think you should. No, even more often than that.