Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Here you can see the content slide, it's indeed Quest stuff.
https://twitter.com/GAMERTAGVR/status/1448181840725020672/photo/4

The earring removal is pretty bizarre (click on the tweet and see replies)

It'll be one of those stupid marketing decisions of "it presents the wrong image for our product", for some stupid nebulous idea of "wrong image" that probably doesn't actually exist and would probably appeal to a broader market anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's also not Quest stuff, there doesn't seem to be any games being slated to run on it. So it's a Go. For $500.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

It's also not Quest stuff, there doesn't seem to be any games being slated to run on it. So it's a Go. For $500.

Color Connect, Retropolis, Squingle, Space Slurpies, Color space, Jigsaw 360 are all games that are on Quest.

That said, it doesn't have any 'big' Quest games on that list. Even ignoring Oculus associated games. No Blaston, No Eleven TT, no Walkabout Golf, no Demeo, no Red Matter or Arizona Sunshine, no Job Simulator, no I Expect you to Die, no Superhot... you get the idea. I'm imagining here that if they would have those games, which have a more renowned name, they would have put it on that slide.
It may be because it isn't powerful enough. edit: or now that I think about, its could be because lack of proper controllers!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 13, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
One interesting thing about that Vive is adjustable focus like GearVR.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

They also seem to be going for a really specific image of this thing as an almost new age headset you wear while doing yoga and meditating and drinking organic water. They may be specifically going for thoughtful, meditative games for their launch marketing and avoiding anything with action, also because there are no controllers and the thing will fall off your head.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Using a touchscreen for a VR headset controller is the stupidest loving thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a market for VR headsets like that or is this thing a DOA HMD

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s dead before official announcement

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DBOA (Dead Before Official Announcement)

It doesn't roll off the tongue, exactly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

explosivo posted:

Not when a Quest 2 does the same thing, and far more besides, for far cheaper.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's possible that no-one that will be able to offer a headset for the price of the Quest 2, but its feature set is now the bare minimum that has to be met. If you can offer a better screen, a lighter headset, proper AR functionality, etc, then you've got yourself a viable product. Less product for more money is so mind bendingly stupid that I'm at a loss as to what they were thinking here.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Turin Turambar posted:

DBOA (Dead Before Official Announcement)

It doesn't roll off the tongue, exactly.

Can't wait for DBOAXBV

Dead Before Official Announcement Xtreme Beach Volleyball

This looks like something you'd see in a Sharper Image 20 years ago and go "hah yeah maybe if these sweet TV glasses don't pan out, I'll check it ou--oh never mind $500."

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 13, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's possible that no-one that will be able to offer a headset for the price of the Quest 2, but its feature set is now the bare minimum that has to be met. If you can offer a better screen, a lighter headset, proper AR functionality, etc, then you've got yourself a viable product. Less product for more money is so mind bendingly stupid that I'm at a loss as to what they were thinking here.

Yeah the Quest 2 really is the baseline now. An Index Deckard could at least compete as an X86 standalone VR even at a higher price point. Plus scalability with lighthouses.

I THINK what they've done is they based this on just their own hardware lines, with this being the cheap one, then the Focus, and lastly the Pro Eye and Pro 2 for high-end.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Less product for more money is so mind bendingly stupid that I'm at a loss as to what they were thinking here.

Same product but more money (with no Facebook integration) I would probably shell out for, that's a premium imo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

explosivo posted:

I guess we'll find out, they seen to be aiming this at an entirely different market which is not people like this thread.

Super light 6dof VR you put on like glasses is new (even if it's tethered) but I guess by itself that's not as compelling as you'd think.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/boztank/status/1448336606360838145?s=21

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, and from teh Zuck
https://uploadvr.com/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-retina-resolution-vr-headset/

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I tried the hand tracking out again yesterday and was surprised to find that it was basically flawless. If you really shake your hands around then it gets lost, so it isn't ready for shooters or anything, but for general navigation and stuff they genuinely seen to have cracked it.

I feel it's got better over the last couple of releases - I used it the other day and it was way better than I remember, even a few months ago

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus has a 1 year anniversary sale. The most striking deal is Tetris Effect, 46% off
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3386618894743567/

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Last I tried it was a few months ago and while it can track every finger individually it completely loses its tracking for pinky/ring fingers if your hand is sideways instead of palms out or in. I tried playing Hand Physics Lab and had to switch to controller for some tasks that required grabbing something with all four fingers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

https://twitter.com/AGraylin/status/1448338649272107014?s=20

The exchange is great. (click the thread)

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
HTC really should've aimed for the Quest MSRP but at least there's a portable alternative to Facebook now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Oculus has a 1 year anniversary sale. The most striking deal is Tetris Effect, 46% off
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3386618894743567/

Dang I can’t pass at that price

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

HTC really should've aimed for the Quest MSRP but at least there's a portable alternative to Facebook now

is it really an alternative to a quest though?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Guess we'll find out in a couple days

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I lust for VR contents.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
There already was an alternative to the Quest, its the Pico Neo 3

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 14, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

There already was an alternative to the Q2, its the Pico Neo

Don't give your information to Facebook guys, give it to TikTok and China instead! :pseudo:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
eh, i think if we're going to apply this thread's hate for FB to other entities then good luck using any commercial "free" software created in the last 15 years

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't give your information to Facebook guys, give it to TikTok and China instead! :pseudo:

OK

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ROFLBOT posted:

eh, i think if we're going to apply this thread's hate for FB to other entities then good luck using any commercial "free" software created in the last 15 years

I'm having a hard time imagining that Steam is harvesting my biometrics and selling them to advertisers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, everyone knows that Steam harvests your biometrics so that gaben knows what kind of knife is most effective against you when the time comes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Valve popularized loot boxes, yeah Facebook is definitely worse but selling gambling to children is also extremely bad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

Valve popularized loot boxes, yeah Facebook is definitely worse but selling gambling to children is also extremely bad

loot boxes or vaccine denial, full-blown fascism and racism out in the open.

Hard choice.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Hard choice.

I hate children gambling, but I think the company that has literally facilitated genocides might be worse, yeah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Hard choice.

You have racism and fascism in the poorly moderated Steam forums and groups, too! You don't have to choose!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

loving Christ, Paper Beasts is pretentious, babby's-first-vr-excursion garbage, and I'm actually angry I spent 15 minutes enduring it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

loving Christ, Paper Beasts is pretentious, babby's-first-vr-excursion garbage, and I'm actually angry I spent 15 minutes enduring it.

Lol, you haven't seen anything if you only have played 15 minutes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Turin Turambar posted:

You have racism and fascism in the poorly moderated Steam forums and groups, too! You don't have to choose!

I can acknowledge that valve isn't a paragon of virtue while at the same time highlighting how so stupid it is to play that card when the opposing team is facebook. Valve isn't so great, alyx isn't all that cracked up to be, but facebook has done, and continues to do, so much damage to the fabric of America's psyche while faciliting the deaths of hundreds of thousands through misinformation during a global pandemic let alone actual real genocide the world over. I can also understand that lots of people don't give a poo poo and just want a cheap way to play videogames in VR but I can't let that go, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, you haven't seen anything if you only have played 15 minutes.

Is there actually anything to do but admire the a m b i a n c e? So far, I sat through some Japanese pop song, unable to do anything except change the EQ by moving bits around, and couldn't even move myself until a monster handed me a gem. What's the actual gameplay? Is there any? So far it's just been, as I say, babby's-first-VR-excursion level stuff.