Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Remember when they had that picture of Steve made up from Twitter posts about his death, except they didn't bother to vet any of the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i installed 15 on my 6s a half week ago and it seems OK despite some goofiness that seems like new ram limitations. not quite to the level of an ipad 2 reaching the end of its useful life, because at a point that thing prolly didnt have enough memory to load a modern awful javascript fueled website, but clearly some new barrier.

but drat I dont know if its still running some post-upgrade process days later and because its a 6s its incredibly slow but i continue to find it getting hot while plugged in while the usually dumpy battery gets randomly laid flat in a blink while its sitting unused in a pocket

tim....please. what're you doing to my garbage phone???

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 14, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
iOS15 works great on my 1st gen iPhone SE. I replaced the battery about half a year ago. It’s still a great phone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

mac os x server/rhapsody DR was nexstep based and supported x86

around 1997 would have been rhapsody dr/dr2 which definitely had an x86 port

:negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
imagine what could have been

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

silence_kit posted:

iOS15 works great on my 1st gen iPhone SE. I replaced the battery about half a year ago. It’s still a great phone.

the 6s was never great on battery life from the beginning. this things like six years old (jfc!!)

and the phone’s on its second battery thanks to apple having a recall program for the originals but there’s no denying it’s mushy skull moments becoming more and more frequent.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

silence_kit posted:

how much did the battery replacement cost vs the actual worth of the phone?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah, i've been rolling with a 1st gen SE since launch but my 13 mini comes today. i hate giving up the formfactor but won't miss the slowness, crappy camera, and pathetic battery life. it was a great phone in 2016 but i guess it's time to say goodbye :/

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The_Franz posted:

idk

it was worth it though. the 1st gen iPhone SE is a great design

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

probably like 10% the cost of a new phone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

in my case, 1/3rd. t-mobile gave me $400 for my 1st gen SE (under "sprint select".) an official battery replacement is $100 iirc and the phones themselves were going for about that much last i checked.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can buy new iphone SEs for $400 still?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The_Franz posted:

supposedly my spare 7 (and all touch id models) is $49 through apple, which would be worth it for a spare work-only device

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

you can buy new iphone SEs for $400 still?
iphone 13 mini = $700
tmobile trade in credit for 1st gen SE = $400
amount left over for me to pay: $300

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i still have an SE1 lying around and I even got a new battery for it a while back but it's totally buggered. home button is stuck and if you try to turn it on it just boot loops. it costs $379 to resurrect it but that's a bit steep. i'd consider paying $150 for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

iphone 13 mini = $700

looks like the current SE is actually $400 so thats not bad. new battery still probably way more worth it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i'm guessing this is the last chance I have to get four hundred united states dollars out of this phone, so especially considering its likely to lose ios support soon, it actually seems to be a better financial decision to trade it in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that seems wierdly high trade in value. u should do it

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I think they are trying to get older phones traded in. They'll give me 300 for my 11 pro but will give 800 for an X

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the end of an era

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

iphone 13 mini = $700

how do you get this deal? they offer me nothing for my 1st gen se

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh you have to say you turned off find my iphone. then they offer $200. probably still worth it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in shows the max for an iphone X is 200, where are these insane high numbers coming from?

if i can get a fat stack for my 8 i'm ok upgrading - i'd do it for 200, not for 600

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're in a couple different places, you have to shop around

Best Buy is (was?) doing $100 discount on the 13 Pro plus $100 trade in credit bump so going from a 12 Pro to 13 Pro was like $80 and that's owning the phone outright, no bill credits.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

drat he was one day away

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rip. slower than upgraded-webkit-safari but a lot more stable

hopefully the last release continues to work for a while

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in shows the max for an iphone X is 200, where are these insane high numbers coming from?

if i can get a fat stack for my 8 i'm ok upgrading - i'd do it for 200, not for 600
it is/was carriers, not apple, in the form of bill credits (so a contract, basically). i think best buy was offering some good discounts at launch.

verizon gave me $800 for my iphone x that was sitting in the basement

e: just looking, verizon is offering up to $1000 on trade-ins (if nothing has changed it was $800 for 8 and newer, $1000 for 11 and newer), and an additional $500 to pay off a balance with another carrier if you're switching. t-mobile is up to $1000 and at&t is up to $800. this usually requires being on an unlimited plan, as well

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 15, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the carriers used to subsidize your new phone and now we give them an old phone that they have probably figured out how to make a profit from. What the gently caress.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KidDynamite posted:

the carriers used to subsidize your new phone and now we give them an old phone that they have probably figured out how to make a profit from. What the gently caress.

if they were more repairable (note that I AM NOT BITCHING ABOUT THIS i love my hoard of apple gadgets) i'd care, but that's about the best deal going. Trade it in to a company that has a battery/screen shop set up to mass refurb them rather than blowing a bunch of money on ifixit kits and getting pissed when a 2mm long screw inevitably flies off your kitchen table into the ether

I wonder if the trade in rates will drop much going forward now that the 13 has serial'd batteries and whatnot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

i honestly don't know how they're making up $800 on a four year old phone, but i suppose that's not really the point since they're actually making money from keeping me on the service for another two years (not that i had any intention of switching)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

i honestly don't know how they're making up $800 on a four year old phone, but i suppose that's not really the point since they're actually making money from keeping me on the service for another two years (not that i had any intention of switching)

i'm sure it's not costing them $800, whether it's discounts from apple and/or selling that phone to another user that keeps them on their service for longer

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Endless Mike posted:

yeah this was my thinking. i stream music 12+ hours a day and i wasnt about to go anywhere especially because i have an ancient grandfathered unlimited plan for $30/mo that ive had for like 8 years. so here i am with the extremely needs suiting 13 pro max

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1448686889158983681?s=20

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

jokes on you if you stole my notes - it's just the first draft of my chrono trigger gamefaqs guide

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lmao if you think stealing notes over shoulders was invented in 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

do people really get mad about stealing notes? they notes, not the answers to a test. don't most lecturers just put their slides online now anyways?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i copyright my thoughts. dont steal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if they were more repairable (note that I AM NOT BITCHING ABOUT THIS

why not? its stupid they arent more repairable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we all xeroxed our notes and traded them to each other anyway esp for ochem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

how do you get this deal? they offer me nothing for my 1st gen se
i think part of it was "switching" from t mobile to sprint. but the key is to find someone competent. over the phone, t mobile told me my SE was worth nothing. the first crapass store i went to also told me it was worthless (and also that they couldnt switch me from sprint "because our manager isn't here".) the second store i went to, I got a guy who actually knew what he was doing, and thats when they offered me 400 for my first gen SE. this is advertised nowhere as far as I can see