Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

As someone who did the whole long distance thing, The falling asleep on whatsapp/facetime was pretty common. Waking up with a headset on and full body presence with a loved one or w/e would be neat

plus you can make your SO's boobies as big as you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lacrosse posted:

There's people who do this in VRChat and I have no idea why

An anime body pillow can only do so much.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

EbolaIvory posted:

Its the best game in VR hands down. Yeah, I'm serious about that. Its a real experience, not a fuckin poo poo game with VR mechanics. Also the developer is anal as hell. You should see the things hes done to "make it nicer" or "fix things" that needed no upgrades or fixing.

Been playing it a couple years. No locomotion, use your body. Requires like 2.5m square. You can kinda squeeze in a little smaller but expect to cling to walls.

How well does that play with corded VR? Seems like it really needs to be a native quest app to have that much movement

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nukelear v.2 posted:

How well does that play with corded VR? Seems like it really needs to be a native quest app to have that much movement

I've been playing it on and off on wired headsets for a while now.

Its fine. There isn't "fast movement" so even if you do "tangle" you can stand in place and fix it so whatever. You just need to make sure the cable reaches to the far corners of your playspace and you're good.

Wireless is nice, don't get me wrong. And if you have a quest, setup VD for sure. But its not needed at all imo.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there actually anything to do but admire the a m b i a n c e? So far, I sat through some Japanese pop song, unable to do anything except change the EQ by moving bits around, and couldn't even move myself until a monster handed me a gem. What's the actual gameplay? Is there any? So far it's just been, as I say, babby's-first-VR-excursion level stuff.

Yeah, there’s a ton of actually complex systems when you get to the actual ‘paper beasts’, but if you already hate it this much then you won’t make it far enough to get to the stuff that’s really impressive from a technical/game systems perspective.

Paper Beast rules, it’s one of my favorite VR games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought maybe the Flow's spec sheet would provides answers to questions like "is this compatible with eyeglasses" (the adjustable lenses only work for the most trivial of vision corrections, e.g. no astigmatism) or "what apps is this compatible with, exactly", but now I know better I guess.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

pretentious

lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

I laughed out loud when I hit the part of the article where they explain that it only comes with enough battery to go for a few seconds and you have to buy the $79 battery pack.

HTC's done it again!

This is performance art at this point.

I also love that it's a device who's only purpose is media viewing and it comes with 64 gigs of storage (non upgradeable).

And we still haven't mentioned how it isn't compatible with iPhones, making the whole thing a nonstarter is USA.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

And we still haven't mentioned how it isn't compatible with iPhones, making the whole thing a nonstarter is USA.

What is this loving headset, why are they doing this? :psyduck:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah, there’s a ton of actually complex systems when you get to the actual ‘paper beasts’, but if you already hate it this much then you won’t make it far enough to get to the stuff that’s really impressive from a technical/game systems perspective.

Paper Beast rules, it’s one of my favorite VR games.

I'll give it another go, then.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

This right here baffles me. There has to be an iOS app coming. I only own an android phone at this point because HTC gave it to me. And its so slow at this point using it for anything other than a camera and text/social media is a pain.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is this loving headset, why are they doing this? :psyduck:

Hey I know let's use a TOUCHSCREEN for the controller on a device where you CAN'T SEE YOUR HANDS WHILE USING IT

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lacrosse posted:

Hey I know let's use a TOUCHSCREEN for the controller on a device where you CAN'T SEE YOUR HANDS WHILE USING IT

According to starcade (nice guys, honest people) the phone works really well even if it is an android requirement. Word is, works better than the controller you can buy or w/e

I have no idea how personally. I need buttons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EbolaIvory posted:

This right here baffles me. There has to be an iOS app coming. I only own an android phone at this point because HTC gave it to me. And its so slow at this point using it for anything other than a camera and text/social media is a pain.

Why would they make an app for a phone they don't make? Every other decision about this thing is so stupid I can totally believe they haven't thought about an iOS app.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

Why would they make an app for a phone they don't make? Every other decision about this thing is so stupid I can totally believe they haven't thought about an iOS app.

Because they don't really make phones anymore. U12+ was the last one I think they really made, which is what they gave me back then. Has HTC really done anything mobile in a while?

If we don't see an iOS app later I'll honestly be shocked.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Because they don't really make phones anymore. U12+ was the last one I think they really made, which is what they gave me back then.

I knew someone who worked for HTC around 2015, they weren't there for long before getting laid off because they shut down their phone division. Shame too, they made really good phone hardware in my opinion.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lacrosse posted:

I knew someone who worked for HTC around 2015, they weren't there for long before getting laid off because they shut down their phone division. Shame too, they made really good phone hardware in my opinion.

Biggest complaint with my U12+? The interface. Whatever bastard version of sense they slapped on this was awful. For its time though hardware was pretty great. Cameras really good. Screens super clear. Feels nice in the hand. Very premium packaging.

Does still get updates tho! So thats neat.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I believe HTC sold off their mobile division and are VR-only now. I wanna say Google bought it but I can't remember for sure.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Hyperlynx posted:

I'll give it another go, then.

Maybe it didn't do this for you, but the game defaulted to the lowest settings and since it chucks you into the game from the get go, I hadn't bothered checking them until I'd almost beat the game. I recommend turning up the graphics settings if you have the hardware because some of the :catdrugs: look way crazier on (and while) high.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

EbolaIvory posted:

Because they don't really make phones anymore. U12+ was the last one I think they really made, which is what they gave me back then. Has HTC really done anything mobile in a while?

HTC sold their entire phone business to Google. The Pixel line is modern day HTCs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to guess how this could be dumber, and I want to say... hmm...

*Puts the envelope to his forehead*

What is... a limited selection of compatible phones, that doesn't include the most common models in use?

Goddamn I was trying to guess the dumbest most-avoidable fuckup possible as a joke, I didn't think I'd nail it right on the head. :lol:

Why would you ignore the iPhone users when they're going to be a major chunk of your potential consumer base for this thing? :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 15, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bloodplay it again posted:

Maybe it didn't do this for you, but the game defaulted to the lowest settings and since it chucks you into the game from the get go, I hadn't bothered checking them until I'd almost beat the game. I recommend turning up the graphics settings if you have the hardware because some of the :catdrugs: look way crazier on (and while) high.

That makes sense too. It did look very underwhelming.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
New trailer for Iron Rebellion early access dropped today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDGqp4cg4s

From the dev's post elsewhere:

quote:

anyone interested in our plans after Early access.

Link to the roadmap

https://coda.io/@gameir/iron-rebellion-road-map

want to be part of the conversation?

https://discord.gg/WJKSETT

Want to play the free alpha and wish list the game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1192900/IRON%5C_REBELLION/

I've found it quite fun, the motion controller joystick scheme is not janky and works intuitively. The pivot is at the elbow not under the wrist so your whole forearm swings side to side/up/down 1:1 with the mech/s arms, which steer it left/right at the far reaches. I liked the scheme enough I'm making a controller holder thing for it and even the bullshit one I cobbled together for it works great. It uses the same NiteIze ball/magnet mount thing but the pivot located at the elbow.

https://imgur.com/a/tQw13PL

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Thoatse posted:

New trailer for Iron Rebellion early access dropped today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDGqp4cg4s

From the dev's post elsewhere:

I've found it quite fun, the motion controller joystick scheme is not janky and works intuitively. The pivot is at the elbow not under the wrist so your whole forearm swings side to side/up/down 1:1 with the mech/s arms, which steer it left/right at the far reaches. I liked the scheme enough I'm making a controller holder thing for it and even the bullshit one I cobbled together for it works great. It uses the same NiteIze ball/magnet mount thing but the pivot located at the elbow.

https://imgur.com/a/tQw13PL

If i don't like the motion controls is there a HOTAS option? Because this looks fantastic

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If i don't like the motion controls is there a HOTAS option? Because this looks fantastic

Currently it's only motion controls but there's hotas support on the horizon in their roadmap and the better news is that the way they've implemented the scheme there should be good parity between them even kbm when the time comes.

That said, I normally despise motion controls but the way they implemented pitch/yaw of the arms to be 1:1 with the mech's that pivot from the elbow they're more precise and intuitive than anticipated.. I recommend checking out the free demo to see how you like them. I say this as the idiot that played over 9000 matches in a cockpit with hotas in mwo. https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/111003-mechpit-ii-a-practical-approach/ There are also some interactive controls in the cockpit that can be operated.

So far I'm finding it quite fun... spent an hour yesterday playing 'Mechball'... it's a ball of cars katamari'd together that has rad physics in a test arena.. you can shoot the ball and do slices and chips like pool shots plus you can ram it with the mech and there are goals. It's definitely early access but the play and physics feel pretty tight and I hope it gains the traction it deserves

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

There's people who do this in VRChat and I have no idea why

Comfort isn't at the point where it'd be possible for me, but I do want to experience specifically waking up in a VR environment.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Comfort isn't at the point where it'd be possible for me, but I do want to experience specifically waking up in a VR environment.

I imagine your avatar is the exact reaction one would have when waking up in VR

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The SteamVR game First Person Tennis
https://store.steampowered.com/app/454140/First_Person_Tennis__The_Real_Tennis_Simulator_VR/
is now on AppLab, and well, it's being very well rated
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/6119989094742166/

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I can't imagine I would be so tired that I could fall asleep in any of current VR headset, aside from just sort of nodding my head at the desk maybe and instantly waking back up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

They're a little busy trying to sell their tech to the military so they can kill people better

Speaking of!
https://uploadvr.com/army-shifts-testing-of-hololens-based-ar-gear-to-2022/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pimax announcement on Oct 20
Varjo announcement on Oct 21

So you know, there could be still hope for good news this month for non-Oculus products

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless Pimax announces a headset that doesnt cost $5k and isnt filled with insane compromises, that ones DOA too

Varjo, who knows :iiam:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unless Pimax announces a headset that doesnt cost $5k and isnt filled with insane compromises, that ones DOA too

Varjo, who knows :iiam:

I'd wager best-case it's probably something in the Pimax price range for consumers that's only slightly less dodgy than a Pimax.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Varjo is the only player in the game when it comes to high-end enterprise stuff that's worth a poo poo so they can basically name their price, nobody is seriously cross shopping a Varjo with a Pimax

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Varjo is the only player in the game when it comes to high-end enterprise stuff that's worth a poo poo so they can basically name their price, nobody is seriously cross shopping a Varjo with a Pimax

They are saying
"Join us for a live event on Thursday October 21st, and witness the unveiling of our most highly anticipated product release yet."

So who knows, maybe this will be their first "prosumer" product. I imagine something expensive, like close to $2000, but still way cheaper that their current professional offerings.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is Vader Immortal worth $15?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I can't imagine I would be so tired that I could fall asleep in any of current VR headset, aside from just sort of nodding my head at the desk maybe and instantly waking back up.

My friend is a DJ at some VRChat clubs and I wanted to be there to support them and watch their set but I was so tired so I just put my avatar into a dance animation and leaned back in my chair to rest my eyes. It felt like napping in the middle of a house party.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

Is Vader Immortal worth $15?

Only if you really like star wars. All three episodes collectively still makes for a short game. I also personally didn't find any replay value in the gallery shooter modes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Lister posted:

Only if you really like star wars. All three episodes collectively still makes for a short game. I also personally didn't find any replay value in the gallery shooter modes.

Good to know, thanks! Since I just got my Quest, any must-haves in the sale? All I have is Beat Saber and Path of the Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tetris Effect.