Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

flashpoll, which one would you rather see in a script:

(1) cat butt | grep fart | cut -d' ' -f1

or

(2) cat butt | awk '/fart/ { print $1 }'

?

full pipe or no pipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

or

?

i like 2 but I know a lot of people either hate or don’t understand awk so i would write 2 but don’t mind seeing 1

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

animist posted:

unless you're running on kooberneetus and only have a few hundred mb of headspace

treating streaming data as streams isn't bad advice lol

(although if you're running make in kubernetes you have other problems)

it's more likely than you think, openshift pipelines for instance

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

or

?

2 is a nice use of awk

force people to learn awk, its useful

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know, I find it a bit you know

animist
Aug 28, 2018
for the birds?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

NihilCredo posted:

or

?

Both are fine. cut is nice when specifically working with delimited text, which I do a lot, so I have a slightly stronger preference for it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

either you use the cool hidden options of the application and have a comment above it or you break it out to have explicit steps

shell/code golfing is a terrible path so either breaking it down into chunks or carefully documenting what's happening at the code path is the way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way if this is something where style (readability, maintainability) matters enough to ask you might want to shy away from doing it in shell anyway. might be a tiny simple thing today, but if it looks like it'll live for some time it is kind of dangerous.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

or

?

I like #2, but I would not expect programmers or sysadmins to have a strong grasp of awk so I would go with #1. This is because I would expect them to crib off of existing scripts and it's bad enough to try to teach them regular expressions that if you squeeze awk or sed then something else might fall out.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

or

?

Cut is a really poo poo tool, and should be avoided - so I say #2. What happens if you get data that's \t separated, or maybe has justified columns with non-uniform number of spaces? Also awk is cool and good, and I'm trying hard to use it more.

NOW: onto the real spicy question:

(1)
code:
 cat butt | sed s/rear end/goatman/g 
or

(2)
code:
 sed s/rear end/goatman/g butt 
shellcheck gets up my rear end about this one all the time

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I replaced my work stevebook with a ThinkPad T14 running NixOS and it is v. needs suiting so far. Even the docking station just works, and it was super easy to set up behaviour for the external monitor in sway. Really good to be back in a sane OS.

Meanwhile those of my students who have an M1 with macOS can run neither valgrind or leaksanitizer. How does Apple debug their own C code on those machines?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Athas posted:

How does Apple debug their own C code on those machines?

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Athas posted:

I replaced my work stevebook with a ThinkPad T14 running NixOS and it is v. needs suiting so far. Even the docking station just works, and it was super easy to set up behaviour for the external monitor in sway. Really good to be back in a sane OS.

Meanwhile those of my students who have an M1 with macOS can run neither valgrind or leaksanitizer. How does Apple debug their own C code on those machines?

clang address sanitizer

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Athas posted:

does nix have rank-n types yet

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
*reading haskell language specs, eyes widening in horror and incomprehension* ...rank-n types monster

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Hey this is another fun comment read:

https://lwn.net/Articles/872639/#Comments

Lots of references to obscure, bespoke android spin offs that try to block Google tracking and stuff (which I don’t have a problem with).

LineageOS, e (??), CalyxOS, PostmarketOS, blah…

My favorite comment is the smug dude who says:

quote:

This is why I'm keeping my cyanogenmod/AOSP6 phone until it physically stops working. It can't talk to Google and there isn't even a developer to send telemetry to.

The first response on his comment is to let him know his phone is probably not secure and spewing data. :lol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the name /e/OS makes me think of an android fork catered to 4chan users

instead of notifications for google products and services, it pushes you a free racist meme every 20 minutes

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

ESR got banned from the AlternateHistory.com forums for being racist

Funnily enough, when he first started posting in 2019 he immediately got into a squabble with the locals for pedantic reasons

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

and to think that I actually tried to understand what he was writing (primarily his at-the-time lauded Cathedral and Bazaar) in my college days in the late 90s. I should have focused less on that free software evangelizing stuff and more on learning how bison worked and playing video games and watching anime

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

RocketLunatic posted:

Hey this is another fun comment read:

https://lwn.net/Articles/872639/#Comments

Lots of references to obscure, bespoke android spin offs that try to block Google tracking and stuff (which I don’t have a problem with).

LineageOS, e (??), CalyxOS, PostmarketOS, blah…

My favorite comment is the smug dude who says:

The first response on his comment is to let him know his phone is probably not secure and spewing data. :lol:

just lol if don't have a problem with google tracking and also that you can't fathom why anyone else would

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://mobile.twitter.com/caraesten/status/1449129418710937600

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rotor mode and beep mode

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
What did ESR make that we're still talking about him this many years later? I've only ever heard about him in the context of ESR being unpleasant, again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

What did ESR make that we're still talking about him this many years later? I've only ever heard about him in the context of ESR being unpleasant, again.
A lot of people mad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ESR has made nothing, but he’s stolen a few projects out from other people by being a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RokosCockatrice posted:

he has never actually written a program of note but his lovely book made the dot com bros at netscape open source a fork as mozilla so he claims to be a minor deity of open sores

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

he wrote a theorem proving kernel configurator in python that was unusably slow

matti
Mar 31, 2019

supposedly they wrote one good book (supposedly, i am curious and will buy it used later) about writing portable UNIX software, and maintained lot of useful usenet FAQs. after that? gently caress all

matti fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 16, 2021

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
esr’s technical history basically consists of barging in to a handful of projects, making some fairly insignificant technical contributions, and invariably poisoning the community so deeply that it splits itself apart just to get away from him

esr’s leadership history basically consists of having written a single essay laying out an argument for the superiority of the open source development process which has the lamentable misfortune of being a bald series of assertions completely unsupported by evidence; followed by twenty five years of barging in to a million oss community mailing lists and having loud uninformed opinions at them for a few hours until he fucks off back to whatever swamp hole he crawled out of

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pike and kernighan wrote the only paper you need to read about writing unix software in 1984: http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/unix_prog_design.pdf

matti
Mar 31, 2019

rob pike is not a likable person either

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

no but he actually wrote software that mattered, unlike esr, and is several orders of magnitude closer to authoritative on anything worth giving a poo poo about in oss than esr is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the late cat-v person was also a right wing libertarian shitrobot

go to harmful.cat-v.org and take your pick

fortunately nobody cared what they thought then or now, i mean other than the hn swamp i guess

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

the late cat-v person was also a right wing libertarian shitrobot

go to harmful.cat-v.org and take your pick

fortunately nobody cared what they thought then or now, i mean other than the hn swamp i guess

oh yeah that poo poo i refuse to even to even look at

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

rjmccall posted:

esr’s technical history basically consists of barging in to a handful of projects, making some fairly insignificant technical contributions, and invariably poisoning the community so deeply that it splits itself apart just to get away from him

esr’s leadership history basically consists of having written a single essay laying out an argument for the superiority of the open source development process which has the lamentable misfortune of being a bald series of assertions completely unsupported by evidence; followed by twenty five years of barging in to a million oss community mailing lists and having loud uninformed opinions at them for a few hours until he fucks off back to whatever swamp hole he crawled out of

remember when he was going to convert gcc from svn to git but he couldn't do it until he got 128GB+ of ram to run his bespoke program
then some other dude wrote a <300 line bash script that just called svn and git

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-SVN-To-Git-May-2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the 9front people really ought to finish taking over cat-v and purging the last vestiges of chuddery

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

didn't he continue to push the script could, maybe, not be a perfect history, even though the original svn repo would continue to exist for reference? gotta get that ram money

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

cat -v's software rants is sort of fun though, wish there was some other archive of why Your Programming Language Sucks besides there. And YOSPOS, I suppose. And The Daily WTF maybe? I remember it was the first place where I encountered Zed Shaw's Rails is a Ghetto diatribe.

Funny how he was apparently anti-Wikileaks/anti-Assange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

no