Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ronin was my first DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My first blu rays were The Dark Knight and A Clockwork Orange because Costco used to have a good movie section.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The day after I got my PS2, I went to Suncoast and splurged on Caddyshack, Batman 89, Rushmore and Dawn of the Dead. I still had that copy of Rushmore up until I digitized all my DVDs last year.

I’m pretty sure my first blu-ray was Doomsday, lol.

First UHD was Crank, the movie famously shot on early-00s consumer digital video, double lol.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blu-rays I’ve almost exclusively bought online. I went into a Best Buy once for one because Heavy Metal was an exclusive there when it first came out. I’ve gotten steel books from them a few times as well but I’ve either shipped them or picked them up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Casimir Radon posted:

Seeing FMV on a computer back in the early to mid 90s was novel enough that your brain usually fooled you into not noticing how horribly compressed it was. At least that’s my experience with it as a kid, and coming back years later to see that it was full of artifacts and screen tearing.

I once heard a tale of someone playing Buddy Holly full screen smoothly but I didn’t believe it; like anybody had a computer that fast

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
More importantly it’s not like you could get any video on your computer that wasn’t horribly compressed. That was how it was.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The worst video compression I’ve ever seen is on TekWar the FPS. For the intro they just took the intro from the show and compressed the gently caress out of it and probably just took the first attempt and put it on the disc. You can’t tell what’s going on for the majority of the video. The rest of the game isn’t good either. I was intrigued after seeing it on Moby Games years ago but I had enough after a couple attempts at the first level.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Casimir Radon posted:

The worst video compression I’ve ever seen is on TekWar the FPS. For the intro they just took the intro from the show and compressed the gently caress out of it and probably just took the first attempt and put it on the disc. You can’t tell what’s going on for the majority of the video. The rest of the game isn’t good either. I was intrigued after seeing it on Moby Games years ago but I had enough after a couple attempts at the first level.

It’s a notoriously awful game released in an unfinished state by the infamous Capstone Software (The Pinnacle of Entertainment Software).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Remember Realplayer?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Maxwell Lord posted:

More importantly it’s not like you could get any video on your computer that wasn’t horribly compressed. That was how it was.

At least, not without special hardware. Even then...

I can't find the video, but someone compared the 3DO version of Forest Gump with the VHS, and the VHS looked better. The digital wasn't unwatchable, but it was lower quality. And it required an MPEG card.

I think CDI also had similar video quality, if I remember correctly.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Remember Realplayer?

do we even have a video codec today that would work decently enough under 56k?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

At least, not without special hardware. Even then...

I can't find the video, but someone compared the 3DO version of Forest Gump with the VHS, and the VHS looked better. The digital wasn't unwatchable, but it was lower quality. And it required an MPEG card.

I think CDI also had similar video quality, if I remember correctly.
I didn’t realize the released movies on the 3DO. I thought it was just FMV games of slightly better quality than the CDI.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Halloween UHD trip report: Aww yeah, that looked and sounded real nice.

Also I'm pretty sure my first Blu-Ray was Cloverfield. It was my first ever Amazon order, that's for sure. I have no idea what my first DVD was. Maybe the first season of The Simpsons?

And according to Amazon, Mad Max Fury Road was my first UHD, which I ordered 7 months before I had a UHD player. And come to think of it, I still have yet to watch that UHD.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think my first DVD was The Phantom Menace and my first blu-ray was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm not entirely sure but I think my first blu-ray was House (1977).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I don't remember my first dvd, probably Scooby Doo (2002) or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990). I do remember the first season of Futurama being among the first.

I got the Prometheus bluray/dvd bundle years before I got a bluray player.
I suppose Birds of Prey is my first UHD, but, likely not going to be able to play that anytime soon.
Though that, with Six String Samurai and the upcoming Flesh For Frankenstein my collection is oddly growing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My first DVD was the McTiernan remake of The Thomas Crown Affair. As a DVD, pretty barebones, but it's a good movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My first DVD was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and my first Blu Ray was The Fall starring Lee Pace

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

first dvd is fuzzy but I think it was Aqua Teen Hunger Force Season 1. First blu-ray was Talladega Nights that came with the launch PS3.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

First DVD I bought while my family was picking up our first DVD player at Best Buy in 1998 was Ghost In The Shell. While there we also picked up 2 rolls of Monster speaker cable and both of those came with a 1 month free trial for this brand new DVD rental service called Netflix. They were so new and site so poorly designed that I used the same trial codes over and over and over for close to a year and probably rented every single anime DVD they had available at the time, some of which was wildly inappropriate for 13yo me lol.

Finally upgraded that GitS disc with the UHD last month. :shobon:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm pretty sure my first DVD was Amelie. If not the first, then it's the first DVD I remember buying.

I was a latecomer to blu ray, and the first blu ray I remember buying was Green Room. It came out on blu ray like the year after I got a used PS3 (I didn't skip that generation of consoles, I just had a 360).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

First VHS: Jurassic Park*
First DVD: The Sixth Sense
First Blu-ray: Once Upon a Time in the West
First UHD: Blade Runner 2049

*My family owned lots of VHS tapes before this, but JP was the first one which was mine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Revenant was the first UHD I bought.
It didn’t work.
I’ve still got it.
Still haven’t seen it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I remember when Ghostbusters came out on VHS, it was a major novelty and they were charging like $80 for it along with obviously the player being pretty expensive as well. We didn't have that mind of money to be throwing around but we did have friends who bought it so we went over to their house one night to watch it. Two families sitting around what was probably like a 32 inch t.v. watching Ghostbusters on VHS and it felt like a huge luxury to be doing that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

First VHS: Home Alone
First VCD: Air Force One
First DVD: The Thomas Crown Affair
First LaserDisc: Lethal Weapon 2
First HDDVD: Goodfellas
First BluRay: The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift
First UMD: Predator
First UHD: Back to the Future

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
First DVDs: Phantom Menace/Monty Python's Holy Grail on X-Mas 2001
First Blu-Ray's: Alien Legacy
First UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 apparently. That happened because I started doing the "Well, I'm gonna get a UHD player some day anyway."

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My first tape was ET with the green guard panel, when it first hit consumer VHS in the late 80s. Still got it.

First DVD was the original Anchor Bay releases of Hellraiser and Hellbound in '98. It didn't look great, but it was still early days for the format. Anchor Bay really stepped up their game in '99. I couldn't believe how much of an improvement a well done transfer was over VHS.

First Blu-ray was 2001 A Space Odyssey. I didn't even have a player yet. Watched it on my roommate's PS3 on a cheap 720p tv and thought it looked great. It was the first time I could really see the grain structure of a movie at home.

First UHDs were last week, Blade Runner and Halloween 3. Each step seems like a smaller leap forward than the last, in terms of perceived clarity/fidelity, especially since players can upscale blurays to 4K, so it's hard to have a true comparison. HDR can be pretty cool, though.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
First DVD: All the Goals of World Cup 98 (:laffo:).

First Blu-ray: Day of the Dead (Arrow version).

First UHD: Dial Code Santa Claus.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rascar Capac posted:

:hmmyes:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

First VHS was Pinocchio. My gram brought me it and I’ve been a collector since. Thanks for enabling my crippling debt, gram! The first DVD I remember was The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle, though I may have had more before. First Blu I think was Talledega Nights because it was a pack in with the PS3. It may have also been Dr No or Men in Black, because I removed those were my dads when we got our first standalone Blu Ray player. First 4k was Labyrinth with the steelbook. That was a Christmas gift.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, can we make this is mandatory purchase please?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What I'm currently baffled by after these posts is, why Talledega Nights was a pack in with the PS3. Was there a lot of details missed in a Will Farrell fronted comedy that would blow the socks off of gamers world wide in 1080p?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

What I'm currently baffled by after these posts is, why Talledega Nights was a pack in with the PS3. Was there a lot of details missed in a Will Farrell fronted comedy that would blow the socks off of gamers world wide in 1080p?

It was a big Sony release in the summer of 06 and a lot of people got PS3s for Christmas that year. It's also a surprisingly well done NASCAR movie.

My roommate got his PS3 in the fall of 07 and Sony would give you a list of blurays to pick 3 from. He got Walk Hard Unrated, Stealth, and one other one I can't remember. I keep meaning to get my own copy of Walk Hard Unrated because the theatrical cut moves way too fast and is a fair bit less good, yet that's the one on Netflix and the Play Store.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Technically my first DVD was a collection of music videos that came with our Gateway PC w/ DVD drive. It had a Madonna video that I liked to watch a lot.

First film on DVD was The Matrix in one of those weird old gatefold type cases.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

CRAYON posted:

First film on DVD was The Matrix in one of those weird old gatefold type cases.

This was a very early title for me too, along with Blade. Either way they were Region 1 imports because hardly any DVD titles had made it to the UK at the time. I played them back on my PC with an MPEG2 decoder card.

The first DVD I saw was Armageddon which a friend and I watched in 15 minute chunks, because we only had a trial version of PowerDVD. The image quality was astounding.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

It was a big Sony release in the summer of 06 and a lot of people got PS3s for Christmas that year. It's also a surprisingly well done NASCAR movie.

My roommate got his PS3 in the fall of 07 and Sony would give you a list of blurays to pick 3 from. He got Walk Hard Unrated, Stealth, and one other one I can't remember. I keep meaning to get my own copy of Walk Hard Unrated because the theatrical cut moves way too fast and is a fair bit less good, yet that's the one on Netflix and the Play Store.

I don't know man, I would be really pissed if my first Blu-ray was a Will Farrel movie

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know man, I would be really pissed if my first Blu-ray was a Will Farrel movie

I would be elated

Step Brothers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

While I think Will Ferrel has been in a lot of trash I really do love Step Brothers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

In the mid 2000s that dude was a Movie Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

First DVD was Ghostbusters
First Blu-Ray was Toy Story 3
First UHD was Star Trek Beyond