Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Interesting. Wonder if there was a problem with the tour bus company or the road crew or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

You can put money on they wanted to enforce the Vaccine mandate and FL were being dickheads about it

Good, gently caress Florida. No jams for you.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Kvlt! posted:

Interesting. Wonder if there was a problem with the tour bus company or the road crew or something?

I think it's a polite way of talking about the vaccine stuff. Rumour was they were trying to find a way around getting fined just for trying to keep people safe which is why the cancellation is last minute.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah they're cancelling shows without vax standards.

Speaking of, if anybody has extras for 10/20 red rocks please hit my PMs

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Time to celebrate

https://twitter.com/GratefulDead/status/1443283050838691840?s=19

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Gonna be a tour bus and road crew shortage in Texas too, I'm guessing.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wonder if Phil gave his donor rap to the kids

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Phil was definitely bogarting the manischewitz

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Smashing back Heinekens and telling the kids he needs a new liver.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

check out the 12/10/71 release, there is some absolute fantastic stuff in here and the mix is great, even if I could use a little more Billy.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Been listening to tons of ‘68 tapes and they’re great for reading. Love the Dead when they’re doing spacey and it’s almost 100% that.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
5/14/74 has been nagging me on feed for a few days so I gave it a listen. Really solid stuff. The Weather Report is silky smooth

https://youtu.be/D_RiiRe2sns

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I saw Phil & Friends at the Capitol Theater this week. I found it far more satisfying than the DeadCo shows I saw in August. If you need to scratch that itch, go see Phil!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Septic Knothead posted:

I saw Phil & Friends at the Capitol Theater this week. I found it far more satisfying than the DeadCo shows I saw in August. If you need to scratch that itch, go see Phil!

Who’s in Phil’s band?

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

BigFactory posted:

Who’s in Phil’s band?

Warren Haynes, John Molo, Rob Barraco, JImmy Herring

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Septic Knothead posted:

Warren Haynes, John Molo, Rob Barraco, JImmy Herring

That’s a good band.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Ungratek posted:

Been listening to tons of ‘68 tapes and they’re great for reading. Love the Dead when they’re doing spacey and it’s almost 100% that.

Any particular shows you'd recommend along these lines?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's a small but nice touch, but the Dead & Co show in Texas was themed around women. From the first set:

Man Smart, Woman Smarter
Bertha
Queen Jane Approximately
Brown Eyed Women
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Sugaree

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1444392724560498689?t=Ils-Snkn1OYFLP_y8N99BQ&s=19

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

It's a small but nice touch, but the Dead & Co show in Texas was themed around women. From the first set:

Man Smart, Woman Smarter
Bertha
Queen Jane Approximately
Brown Eyed Women
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Sugaree

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1444392724560498689?t=Ils-Snkn1OYFLP_y8N99BQ&s=19

Isn’t cassidy about jack Cassidy

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Yeah but the name can go either way. Listen, it was either going to be that or Loose Lucy.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 16, 2021

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah but the name cash go either way. Listen, it was either going to be that or Loose Lucy.

Or Never Trust A Woman. Yeesh!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Did a double take there and I asked a homie and was clued in that it was originally about a newborn girl named Cassidy and then sort of became a Jack Casady tribute.

Jack-A-Roe woulda been a nice touch too (but probably similarly confusing)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JamesKPolk posted:

Did a double take there and I asked a homie and was clued in that it was originally about a newborn girl named Cassidy and then sort of became a Jack Casady tribute.

Jack-A-Roe woulda been a nice touch too (but probably similarly confusing)

Better than good morning little schoolgirl

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Better than good morning little schoolgirl

I was waiting for & Delilah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey thread. I don't know what feelings are about Billy Strings in here, but I think this is really cool.

Billy Strings posted:

I was blown out of the atmosphere when Billy Kreutzmann said he wanted me to take a crack at writing the music to these lyrics by the late great Robert Hunter. I cried like a baby for like an hour after I hung up the phone. I can’t recall a time being so overcome with joyful emotion. This happened on a day when I was really doubting myself as well. Thank you Billy K for trusting me with this.. it is seriously such an honor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5bUipLGds

I think he did a pretty good job at giving the lyrics a Dead sound.

Also thanks to whoever first posted headyversion back in the thread. I've been doing the "listen to one song through the years" method for a while but it never occurred to me that there would be a resource like this out there.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Looks like Billy won't be at N1 of Red Rocks tonight due to "Non-COVID Related Illness". Jay Lane will be sitting in tonight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Looks like Billy won't be at N1 of Red Rocks tonight due to "Non-COVID Related Illness". Jay Lane will be sitting in tonight.

Thankfully, Billy is fine. He said he had 'cold-like' symptoms but tested negative for Covid. He was advised not to play though because the altitude at Red Rocks can gently caress with you at that age, even when they're huffing on oxygen like a lot of acts do.

Mickey did vanish towards the end of the show though and seemed a little checked out when they were doing 'Morning Dew'. He didn't come back for the encore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

Thankfully, Billy is fine. He said he had 'cold-like' symptoms but tested negative for Covid. He was advised not to play though because the altitude at Red Rocks can gently caress with you at that age, even when they're huffing on oxygen like a lot of acts do.

Mickey did vanish towards the end of the show though and seemed a little checked out when they were doing 'Morning Dew'. He didn't come back for the encore.

Maybe he’s drawing up plans for a mystery box reunion

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hey thread. I don't know what feelings are about Billy Strings in here, but I think this is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5bUipLGds

I think he did a pretty good job at giving the lyrics a Dead sound.

Also thanks to whoever first posted headyversion back in the thread. I've been doing the "listen to one song through the years" method for a while but it never occurred to me that there would be a resource like this out there.

Billy Strings is pretty cool. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him do.

I like Headyversion because it can turn you on to some great shows, but you do get some insufferable types in the comments who want to tell you why the Cornell Scarlet-->Fire isn't that great because Jerry hadn't mastered playing in the Mixolydian scale yet. And there's a pretty heavy anti-Donna bias with a lot of those types.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DrVenkman posted:

Billy Strings is pretty cool. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him do.

I like Headyversion because it can turn you on to some great shows, but you do get some insufferable types in the comments who want to tell you why the Cornell Scarlet-->Fire isn't that great because Jerry hadn't mastered playing in the Mixolydian scale yet. And there's a pretty heavy anti-Donna bias with a lot of those types.

I'm not a fan of Donna but also I'm not a fan of black olives and will always get a supreme/Greek/etc pizza. It'd take too much effort to only listen to non-Donna shows. And it harshes other people's enjoyment, so I don't bring it up unless I know whoever I'm talking to also doesn't care for her.

After a few days playing around in Headyversion, it seems to me like there's a positive feedback effect for the top picks of the favorite standards. Like people look for the best Dark Star, listen to the top one, and then vote for it and move on. There are some great ones within the top 10 or so out of all the songs I've listened to through that site, a bunch I think are quite a bit better than the top pick.

Also, there's been a few I've listened to lately that have some ding dong standing right next to the taper clapping along for the ENTIRE loving SONG. I don't know if more Dead shows have that than I realized, but man when I noticed it, it got in my ear like a loud chewer.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

The Onion

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

A little late on this but 30 Days of the Dead started on November 1st again. Continuing the tradition started in 2010, the Grateful Dead vault is opened up by David Lemieux who releases one unreleased live track each day of November. Don't worry if you missed any days this year, you can scroll down to the bottom of the link to find each days release. Hope everyone enjoys, they've already released some beauties so far.

https://www.dead.net/30daysofdead

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dead Nerve posted:

A little late on this but 30 Days of the Dead started on November 1st again. Continuing the tradition started in 2010, the Grateful Dead vault is opened up by David Lemieux who releases one unreleased live track each day of November. Don't worry if you missed any days this year, you can scroll down to the bottom of the link to find each days release. Hope everyone enjoys, they've already released some beauties so far.

https://www.dead.net/30daysofdead

Yeah that stuff has been great. They just do a poor job of getting the word out about this and I always forget it's happening.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1461380201506607106?s=20

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Huh.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thunk:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HELP! I’m going nuts, does anybody know what Billy is teasing here beginning at 1:48:07 and going to 1:48:35?
https://youtu.be/s7GuAO-9bR4
I’ve heard it a million times before and my brain won’t unlock it. I know it’s both a song and artist I listen to a lot.

Sorry this isn’t really Dead related but I know there are some Billy Strings fans in here. Also it’s a really good show and y’all should listen to it.

edit: GOT IT! It’s Valley of the Rogue from Bela Fleck’s Bluegrass Sessions. Which everyone in here should listen to. Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Gabe Witcher, Brian Sutton, Mark Schatz.
https://youtu.be/E3_rBQWMNao

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 6, 2021