Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

jisforjosh posted:

It does not.

Dedicated/rental servers are dead in Battlefield. What DICE has said is that there are community servers via portal, ie the same Community Games system thay BFV uses, tweaked a bit to have persistent ban lists but no way to assign moderators.

So with no mods there won't be anyone to ban cheats? That was the great thing about good dedicated servers with active mods. Cheaters were booted quick.

I imagine DICE haven't put even 5 mins of work into anti cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

theyre using easy anticheat but idk how good that generally is

warzone was the most cheater infested fps game I've ever played and I imagine the cheating problem is only going to get worse. it's so bad that it's singlehandedly killing it lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I cannot loving believe they don't have an air superiority mode in BF5

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wanna play this dumb janky shoot shootmans game

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

comedyblissoption posted:

theyre using easy anticheat but idk how good that generally is

warzone was the most cheater infested fps game I've ever played and I imagine the cheating problem is only going to get worse. it's so bad that it's singlehandedly killing it lol

EAC works well enough, it's not perfect but when you lower the punishment to the hassle of creating another free account, you're going to attract so many cheaters

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

jisforjosh posted:

EAC works well enough, it's not perfect but when you lower the punishment to the hassle of creating another free account, you're going to attract so many cheaters

Yeah, that's definitely the major risk you take when going "F2P" and I don't see that new Ricochet they're touting for Warzone will do much to solve it. (Hell there's already stories out today saying hackers are already cracking it it thanks to a leak.) It's the same reason why hacking always seems to get worse the cheaper a Battlefield gets over time.

Cost is the best anti-cheat.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Warad posted:

Yeah, that's definitely the major risk you take when going "F2P" and I don't see that new Ricochet they're touting for Warzone will do much to solve it. (Hell there's already stories out today saying hackers are already cracking it it thanks to a leak.) It's the same reason why hacking always seems to get worse the cheaper a Battlefield gets over time.

Cost is the best anti-cheat.

My personal best care scenario if Hazard Zone ends up being cool is for them to turn in F2P and keep iterating on it, but have a separate queue or toggle for paid players so you can have the pay gate in place to hopefully keep out some cheaters while still hooking more players that might end up buying the game. With 32 player games I don't see this having the Firestorm problem of waiting forever for a game to start so either way should work out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

It does not.

Dedicated/rental servers are dead in Battlefield. What DICE has said is that there are community servers via portal, ie the same Community Games system thay BFV uses, tweaked a bit to have persistent ban lists but no way to assign moderators.

boooo

where is everyone voice chatting now

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrBox posted:

My personal best care scenario if Hazard Zone ends up being cool is for them to turn in F2P and keep iterating on it, but have a separate queue or toggle for paid players so you can have the pay gate in place to hopefully keep out some cheaters while still hooking more players that might end up buying the game. With 32 player games I don't see this having the Firestorm problem of waiting forever for a game to start so either way should work out.

Why would they split the player base? DLC map packs have a horrible history of killing games off. It would be wiser to sell the game modes a la carte, and then sell skins on top.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why would they split the player base? DLC map packs have a horrible history of killing games off. It would be wiser to sell the game modes a la carte, and then sell skins on top.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying put content behind a pay wall like DLC. Only have an opt in queue for Hazard Zone for people who own the full game to be matched with others who own the full game if the F2P version ends up bringing in more cheaters like Warzone. Kind of like how console can opt to play with console only.

It's all a moot point right now though since they say it's not F2P.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cheating is bad but remember that cheaters are pathetic nothings, they are navel lint, and very aware of this fact which is why they resort to cheating. Nice thing about getting away from the BR formula is losing a round isn't such a big deal, so if a cheater results in you taking an L, it doesn't mean all that much in the long run

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I haven't played a BF game since 3 and want to play something again, what's recommended? I'm not interested in playing full price for 2042 and had to refund IV because I couldn't get it working on my machine (fixes were things I wasn't willing to do to my computer). V? 1? Help a guy out :(

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Ledenko posted:

I haven't played a BF game since 3 and want to play something again, what's recommended? I'm not interested in playing full price for 2042 and had to refund IV because I couldn't get it working on my machine (fixes were things I wasn't willing to do to my computer). V? 1? Help a guy out :(

There's a good sale right now, you can get 4, 1, and 5 for very cheap as a combo. I prefer 4 for modern day fun, 1 for atmosphere, and 5 for gunplay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

EA has a really strong incentive to make sure people don't play battlefield games for one second after launch of the last DLC. Residual gamers playing last year's title don't buy Next Year's title, and residual gamers play on Free servers that cost $money to run and patch

PGS used to be a vibrant, lively subforum 8-12 years ago, but it's mostly been choked out by the industry moving away from private server support. Private servers are now what "co-op" used to be - loved by all, and built in to every game, but now suspiciously missing.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Hadlock posted:

boooo

Discord you old man

https://discord.gg/dqCyaKFv

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

codo27 posted:

Cheating is bad but remember that cheaters are pathetic nothings, they are navel lint, and very aware of this fact which is why they resort to cheating. Nice thing about getting away from the BR formula is losing a round isn't such a big deal, so if a cheater results in you taking an L, it doesn't mean all that much in the long run

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat when I ask this but isn't hazard zone just an objective based battle royale?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Came here to post that oh look, Hazard Zone turned out to be a loving BR but two teams survive instead of one lmao

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

explosivo posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat when I ask this but isn't hazard zone just an objective based battle royale?

Yeah but that will fade and die fast while most of the regular players will be playing good ol conquest

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Hazard Zone is going to be a half assed mode the will be dead within three months.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

codo27 posted:

Yeah but that will fade and die fast while most of the regular players will be playing good ol conquest

Sedisp posted:

Hazard Zone is going to be a half assed mode the will be dead within three months.

Oh okay glad we all agree on something.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Grondoth posted:

yeah, it's a real crime they didnt remake Battle of Britain.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

explosivo posted:

I guess depending on your definition? To me a Battle Royale is high player count, having one life, and being driven towards the center by a storm/circle/whatever the objective is to be the last team standing.

If for you having an objective and one life is all it takes then maybe Counter-Strike is a BR.

Now let's talk about what is a MOBA!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aside from the (lower) player count, you're still talking about teams all teams being driven towards the center (final extraction) by a storm (sandstorm/environment gets worse as the match progresses) and only one team gets to leave. It definitely feels very BR and I would have prefer something less fixed and more akin to tarkov where the play space is populated by teams as they come and go and the gameplay of finding/extracting drives forces them into conflict.

As it is right now this has the makings of early Blackout where the end of the match was determined not by the team who played/did the most, but by the team that did the least / conserved the most armor/ammo for the final fight. If the final extraction is clearly stated to everyone, then you can just build a team to sweep whoever is left, steal their drives, and bail.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 15, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Philman posted:

yeah, it's a real crime they didnt remake Battle of Britain.

Same though I'm sure it would be a mess that turns away people who have barely flown even if they knew the controls; new pilots would get stomped by statistically better handling, higher flight ceiling, or more damage and then just never touch the mode again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DrBox posted:

I guess depending on your definition? To me a Battle Royale is high player count, having one life, and being driven towards the center by a storm/circle/whatever the objective is to be the last team standing.

If for you having an objective and one life is all it takes then maybe Counter-Strike is a BR.

Now let's talk about what is a MOBA!

I mean you're right, it's a fine line between a BR and a pvp elimination mode but you're describing exactly what this mode sounds like in your own definition of a Battle Royale. It sounds okay, if my friends get this I might play it, but I also have to imagine there's a lot of people out there who heard Tarkov being thrown around and are bummed that it's kinda sorta not really but sorta a battle royale-ish mode in the end.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

explosivo posted:

When people say Hazard Zone isn't a Battle Royal, it's the same as people who say their electronic music genre isn't Techno, or that an automatic weapon isn't a machine gun.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Aside from the (lower) player count, you're still talking about teams all teams being driven towards the center (final extraction) by a storm (sandstorm/environment gets worse as the match progresses) and only one team gets to leave. It definitely feels very BR and I would have prefer something less fixed and more akin to tarkov where the play space is populated by teams as they come and go and the gameplay of finding/extracting drives forces them into conflict.

As it is right now this has the makings of early Blackout where the end of the match was determined not by the team who played/did the most, but by the team that did the least / conserved the most armor/ammo for the final fight. If the final extraction is clearly stated to everyone, then you can just build a team to sweep whoever is left, steal their drives, and bail.

The way I interpreted it was the storm is just the story explanation for the limited extractions. Storm is coming so you have to extract before it arrives and aircraft can't come in. I don't think the storm will actually push you around the map at all but we'll have to see some gameplay.

explosivo posted:

I mean you're right, it's a fine line between a BR and a pvp elimination mode but you're describing exactly what this mode sounds like in your own definition of a Battle Royale. It sounds okay, if my friends get this I might play it, but I also have to imagine there's a lot of people out there who heard Tarkov being thrown around and are bummed that it's kinda sorta not really but sorta a battle royale-ish mode in the end.

I think Tarkov is still an apt comparison. The Hunt Showdown as well. 8 squads travel around the map to secure hard drives and try to extract from the map while fighting AI and human soldiers. I can see why they tried to make the distinction as it wouldn't fit the current mold of Apex/Warzone/Fortnite.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 15, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Whatever HZ is the one thing it isn't to me is a proper Battlefield game.
Nothing wrong with that, but they should have made it a separate game.

I have a feeling between the "main game", Hazard Zone and Portal, focus is getting lost and something will be less good than if they made a game that knows what it wants to be.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
After watching some streamer videos I'm a little confused by the reaction. Everyone seems to be worried about there being no meta progression in Hazard Zone besides the win streak and buying perks for your next match, but do you really need one? I get that Tarkov has the base you can upgrade but the idea that you can't just play for fun and need some extra layer on top to keep you playing is so funny to me. There's no meta game around the regular game mode or portal. You play a match, maybe unlock some guns or cosmetics, but eventually you're just queuing up because you want to play the game. If it's not very compelling on it's own then why would you want some extra layer to give you some fake feeling of progress?

Hopper posted:

I have a feeling between the "main game", Hazard Zone and Portal, focus is getting lost and something will be less good than if they made a game that knows what it wants to be.

I don't think this is pulling too much focus away from the main game. This could be considered a bonus game mode to replace the Campaign. If anything it almost feels as a beefed up version of what can be made using the portal scripting. It uses the same maps.

Previous BFs have had alternate game modes too using parts of the Conquest maps and just adding new UI bits. BF4 had Gun Master, Rush, CTF, Defuse, Domination, Obliteration, Team deathmatch.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 15, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Hadlock posted:

boooo

If you want an actual dedicated BF goon discord: https://discord.gg/xDGu8fBCTZ

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Hopper posted:

It's super clear that the suits at EA have no confidence in Battlefield as a franchise with its own identity and are simply pointing at other games and ordering DICE to copy them, OP. Seems to have probably driven away the most creative people who worked at DICE too. Sad state of affairs

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Same though I'm sure it would be a mess that turns away people who have barely flown even if they knew the controls; new pilots would get stomped by statistically better handling, higher flight ceiling, or more damage and then just never touch the mode again.

Usually those modes suck in all the skylords, yeah. But like... WWII was the peak of dogfighting. Maybe it would've gotten rid of those specializations too, cause it's dumb for there to be straight upgrades like that.

But who knows, I guess. Alas.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Skyarb posted:

If you want an actual dedicated BF goon discord: https://discord.gg/xDGu8fBCTZ

.......Why? We're all on the Marvelous Pro Elite Gamer society discord or on the Chugging the Stairs mumble....There's ZERO reason to make a third discord lmao

Edit: Also stop trying to steal Hadlock, he's an OG Wook wook. He belongs to us.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Discord link is in the OP now

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Usually those modes suck in all the skylords, yeah. But like... WWII was the peak of dogfighting. Maybe it would've gotten rid of those specializations too, cause it's dumb for there to be straight upgrades like that.

But who knows, I guess. Alas.

Finding out that there were upgrades in BFV that just flat made the other planes better was a real sad moment for that game.

Oh that guy yeah he just turns better than you and guess what? that means your hosed.

Still itll be nice to having homing ground based AA again to gently caress skygod days up.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Dead Like Rev posted:

.......Why? We're all on the Marvelous Pro Elite Gamer society discord or on the Chugging the Stairs mumble....There's ZERO reason to make a third discord lmao

Edit: Also stop trying to steal Hadlock, he's an OG Wook wook. He belongs to us.

Probably because it's dedicated just to battlefield, that's a grab bag server.

jisforjosh posted:

Discord link is in the OP now

You should probably throw the other one in there too, there are currently over 40 goons using that exclusively for battlefield stuff.

I made it a while ago when people were asking what discord to use and no one posted one, if we all want to migrate to the other one that's fine too

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 15, 2021

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
There's only like 50 goon discords

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Skyarb posted:

Probably because it's dedicated just to battlefield, that's a grab bag server.

You should probably throw the other one in there too, there are currently over 40 goons using that exclusively for battlefield stuff.

I made it a while ago when people were asking what discord to use and no one posted one, if we all want to migrate to the other one that's fine too

We've been using pro elite gaming society and CTS mumble for uhhh.. Forever, you're not gonna get any of us who've been playing for a long time to migrate off of them. Sorry, and to note, like this isn't me trying to be an rear end or anything it's just honest to gods truth. We've got a tag and calendar setup where we can setup events and we consistently @ each other with the battlefield tag when we want to play. Plus its most of us in the actual "battlefield goons" group who have been playing for literal years. Ya'll can come on over, the moderation is good, and yeah its "grab bag" but its not some secular discord thats fired off designed to Tempus Thales itself off from the community.

quick edit: Also it was in the prior thread op.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Dead Like Rev posted:

We've been using pro elite gaming society and CTS mumble for uhhh.. Forever, you're not gonna get any of us who've been playing for a long time to migrate off of them. Sorry, and to note, like this isn't me trying to be an rear end or anything it's just honest to gods truth. We've got a tag and calendar setup where we can setup events and we consistently @ each other with the battlefield tag when we want to play. Plus its most of us in the actual "battlefield goons" group who have been playing for literal years. Ya'll can come on over, the moderation is good, and yeah its "grab bag" but its not some secular discord thats fired off designed to Tempus Thales itself off from the community.

quick edit: Also it was in the prior thread op.

If it's actually a good discord that isn't full of old world goons dropping slurs and generally thinking being lovely online is the peak of comedy I'm down to migrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Skyarb posted:

If it's actually a good discord that isn't full of old world goons dropping slurs and generally thinking being lovely online is the peak of comedy I'm down to migrate.

I promise - it's not - WeedBabyGoku is banned. 100%. GDN was never allowed to exist on it. Mod team is fair but tough on bullshit like weirdo's spewing slurs.