Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Winford used to be a place where things were made, its factories were renowned across America and helped build the country. Then the economy changed and one by one those great factories closed and people began to follow if they could leaving the town a run-down slum as everyone with ambition or a way out followed.

That is until Howard Phillips stepped in, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur with half a dozen successful start-ups behind him and a big dream. He announced that his new start up Prometheus was going to revolutionise the tech industry and that its new headquarters was going to be based right here in Winford.

This triggered a wave of investment as for the first time in living memory new people began moving in, the town’s schools are being refurbished and the main street has seen more business in the last year than in the last ten combined. It’s an exciting time in Winford whether you’re an old hand whose family have been here for generations or a new arrival.

For the teens of the town it’s an exciting and hectic time navigating the strange new world they find themselves in and making new friends and connections and dealing with the traditional teenage problems of dates and acne. But those are not your only problem are they? You’re something different from the kids. A monster...

What is this?

This is a Monsterhearts 2e game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet.

All core and second skins are acceptable except the Heir and the Disciple. Also the optional skins below are available.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for around four-five characters, which means I'll probably end up taking six.

Submissions will probably be open until about 5pm GMT, Saturday 09/10/2021. That said i'll be fairly liberal with extensions if people need more time. Check out the discord for the game here for help, questions, or just to chat. Or the much better populated general Monsterhearts Swampthing discord filled with cool and helpful people.

Reference Pictures are not required, but they'll help me remember your character better, so I'd recommend doing it.

Reference Sheet and Core Skins
Cerberus
Chosen
Serpentine

Town Creation

The only idea of the town I have right now is that it’s a small and was kind of forgotten town. Now it’s facing issues of gentrification and confrontation between people who’ve lived there for generations and newcomers. Still exactly what the town is like and how you interact with it is up to you. If your Selkie needs a beach it’s by the beach if your Fae likes to walk in the forests it has trees around it etc. etc.

General Considerations:

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to Rauri / godfish / AdjectiveNoun / gazetter for most of this OP. In true slacker fashion, most of it is copied and pasted from them.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Luke Aston, the Neighbor

I've lived in Winford my entire life. Things were going okay, until my dad got laid off from his job at one of the factories. He's an accountant, and it turns out less businesses in Winford meant less need for people with his skills. My mom's job at the library was barely keeping us afloat, until Phillips came in and started a big business here. Now my dad is back at work and we're back to where we were. My older brother Desmond should be able to move out if he gets accepted to any of the colleges he applied to, and Mary is starting her freshman year.

Me? That's....well, I think I'm figuring that out. Desmond might be leaving Winford if he gets into the right school and part of me wants to follow in his footsteps. But everyone I know is here, and maybe with Prometheus coming to town things might get better. Hell maybe I can get a job there as well - even see if I have my dad's knack of money management.

I guess I got 2 years of school to go through and see where I want to end up. How hard can it be?

quote:

Name: Luke Aston

Look: Easy-going, hopeful eyes

Origin: Boy next door

Stats

Hot 2 , Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves:

Lucky I Guess

When you remain oblivious to troubling or supernatural occurrences, take 1 Forward.

Precarious

Offer someone a String on you in exchange for a favour, gift, or second chance. (Or third, etc)

Nap Fan

As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two for the MC to detail when you wake:
  • something was left for you,
  • someone’s there,
  • someone’s been trying to contact you,
  • something’s been broken,
  • you had a nice dream.

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, tell them something you don’t want them to know.

Darkest Self:

You feel... you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they’ll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn’t supernatural, but you’re gonna take it right to the line. You become that Darkest Self.

Your Backstory:

You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face each other. You leave your blinds up. Each gain 2 Strings on one another.

You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 3, 2021

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes, The Mortal

Hello, my name is Lola Reyes! I am :siren:THE NEW KID:siren: in Winford, so I'm kind of a big deal I guess! Well okay maybe I'm not THE new kid, but I do feel like I get singled out for just being here.

Dad got some fancy telecommunications job with Prometheus, so he moved the family over here from Utica. He seems to be settling in fine, but Mom and me? Not so much.

For me I'm always stuck between choosing to crawl into a hole to disappear or struggling to make (and keep) friends. The hole usually wins. Mom thinks I should play my guitar and sing in school and that can help me make friends. Unless they think I suck and I lose them anyway. Dad thinks...well, he doesn't really give a poo poo about what I should do.

Look, don't think I'm some moody, gloomy teenager (despite all the songs I'm writing tend to lean in that direction). I know what I want in life, it's just hard for me to get there! Real hard! I mean, a lot of people have it hard but they always have someone close to help them. I just have me and I don't know why. It's not like I'm hosed up or anything...I think.

But it's not going to last. I'll find someone to walk down this road with me...even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming along the way.

quote:

Name: Lola Reyes
Skin: Mortal
Look: Awkward, Doe Eyes
Origin: New Kid In Town

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Moves

True Love
You always have exactly one Lover. The first is chosen during your Backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new Lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your Lover’s heart or fancy.

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, gain a String on them.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your Lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it awakens something sinister within. The next time you take your eyes off them, they become their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you. Nobody even tries. You do so much for the people you love, and they walk all over you. Enough is enough! Betray them. Show them what its like to be uncared for. Reveal their monstrosity and yours. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your Lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Backstory
Declare your backstory last.

Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 2, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Shankar "Shan" Estrada, the Infernal

Look, buddy, I'm not going to lie to your face and tell you that we "had it good" in Winford before the start-up came around. Winford isn't really the sort of place where people "have it good". You're lucky if you have it slightly less bad then your neighbor. But things had reached an equilibrium of sorts. Which suited me, if not my boss, just fine.
Still, it's not impossible to deal with his type if you can figure out how they think. Let me walk you through it.

As far as the Baron is concerned, what he did for me, between the powers and keeping Baba's shop afloat, that was an investment. He's a stingy cheapskate through and through and he will go on a tirade on how there's no such thing as a free meal in this world or the next, which means I've gotta pony up some dividends. The investment has to be repaid, in full, with interest, within a reasonable timeframe given the circumstances I find myself in.

Catch that? That last part's important. Because if, say, I'm in a dying town where business is dying and people who can are leaving, and people who can't are desperately holding onto what they can't, I can chip away at my debt bit by bit, so long as I keep sending off to the Baron the occasional truly desperate person, willing to give him what he wants.
What does the Baron want? He's a deeply materialistic creature, but he doesn't take hard cash. His favorite thing in the whole world seem to be items that people have a lot of personal attachment to. A love letter from their first love, the rugby trophy they won in their glory days... stuff like that. And sometimes he has "special requests" for me that, if they have a common thread between them, I haven't been able to find.

Of course, people tend to be pretty attached to things like "their car" or "their house", so this rear end in a top hat got pretty stinking rich pursuing his hobby.

In any case, I had him pretty much convinced that the best we could shoot for was wait for people to get desperate and sell off their precious belongings and syphon them off ourselves, when in walks Howards loving Philips, all ties and cologne, to blow the winds of change in Winford and rile the Baron up something fierce. He's been clacking his jaw nonstop about opportunities and keeping up with the modern world and how sharks who don't swim end up dead.

And here's the thing. I'm probably going to have to take the hint.

Because that "investment" thing? If it turns out that I'm not repaying him in a timely manner "given the circumstances I find myself in", then I'm the one defaulting him on his investment.

And, very important keep in mind for this, you do not want to default the Baron on his investment. Even if it means leading people to ruin, instead of just picking up the pieces after they ruin themselves.

quote:

Name: Shankar "Shan" Estrada, the Infernal
Look: Venomous, empty eyes
Origin: Lackey

Stats

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Harm: 0/4

Experience: 0/5

Moves:

Soul Debt

You owe a debt to a Dark Power. Name it, and choose two Bargains it has made with you. The Dark Power can gain Strings. If ever it has 5 Strings on you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the Dark Power, mark experience.

Bargains:

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the Dark Power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll.

Elsewise Power

You can give the Dark Power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any Skin.

Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the Dark Power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Darkest Self
You find yourself shivering, needy, and alone. The Dark Power will make some daunting, open-ended demands. Every demand fulfilled brings you closer to feeling whole again, and removes one of the Dark Power’s Strings on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the Dark Power is out of Strings, or you make a bargain with an even more dangerous entity.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 14, 2021

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions! Lovely questions.

Shankar the Infernal

What's the oddest thing the Baron has asked you to steal?

What happened to the last person you sent onto the Baron? Do you feel guilty?

Where do you go when you want to be alone for a while?

Lola the Mortal
What's the biggest thing you wish you could change about yourself?

What happened between you and the last person that you thought was the "one". Why didn't it work out?

What do you miss most from your time in Utica?

Luke the Neighbour

So you're not sure what you want to do with your life. Relax you've got time. Is there anything you definitely don't want to do?

Do you get compared to your siblings a lot? What do you do to try and stand out from them?

What's your favourite place to hang out at in Winford?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes, The Mortal

quote:

What's the biggest thing you wish you could change about yourself?

My heart, haha...

Not really joking, though. I wish I could make it not hurt, y'know? Feels like whenever I open myself up to someone, like REALLY open up, it just sets me on a path of inevitable disappointment and misery. I know everyone's got that problem but I'm just sick of dealing with it. Sick of trying over and over to get better and improve only for it to end up being a waste of time.

And the worst part of it all? It's me. Just me. I'm doing something wrong, or something is just built into me that I can't fix and I just end up tearing myself down. For no reason. Like I can't let myself be happy, or let other people in my life be happy because I'm just flat out not comfortable with it.

Do you think that's possible? To open your heart to people, but be strong enough to endure when they try to hurt it?

I guess all I can do is keep trying until I find out.

quote:

What happened between you and the last person that you thought was the "one". Why didn't it work out?

Oh, okay, let's just move on to this loving bright and sunny chapter of my life.

I told him "I love you". He said "I love you too". And that should have been it. But it wasn't. At some point he stopped loving me, and just started saying that because he knew I like hearing it.

"I love you but I'm not in love with you" was the last thing he said when we broke up. Why not?! What the gently caress does that even mean?!

What did I do wrong? We went to the movies, we ate out, we gave each other gifts, we talk to each other for long hours into the night (although it was mostly me talking and him listening). Was I a terrible kisser? Was I just not pleasant to be around? What was the loving roadblock or hurdle that stopped you from being "in love" with me?!

He never gave me an answer and he never will. But I know what it is. See my answer to your first stupid question. It's just me, isn't it?

quote:

What do you miss most from your time in Utica?

...What? Why are we suddenly talking about Utica? I...ok, whatever. There was some fun stuff to do in Utica, but it was overall mostly boring. Just did not compare to other cities, ESPECIALLY New York City.

But y'know what? I kinda miss how boring it was. Here in Winford everything and everyone seems to be moving fast and plowing on ahead, and running you over if they think you're slowing them down. I feel like I'm out of my element here.

Dad says I'll get used to it, Mom says I should just throw myself out there in the world and sink or swim, so to speak. I guess I'm just not used to change, especially when it feels like I'm entering a whole different world. Maybe at some point things'll start getting boring for me here as well.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

So you're not sure what you want to do with your life. Relax you've got time. Is there anything you definitely don't want to do?

I don't want to waste my time. I don't want regrets. I want to look back at the time here with happiness and as a stepping stone to...whatever I do. I don't want to lament about missed opportunities, but I don't want it to be the best thing that will ever happen - I'll have my whole life ahead of me after graduation.

Most of all, I can't disappoint my family. With how we had to work together when my dad lost his job, I know they're done a lot of us. I just want them to feel it's worth it.

Ferrosol posted:

Do you get compared to your siblings a lot? What do you do to try and stand out from them?

I guess Desmond would be the one I get compared to the most - I think Mary is probably getting compared to me and Desmond. He's pretty smart and is looking at good schools for law. I get decent grades, but when I stumble on tough tests or projects...well my parents aren't slow on telling me how Desmond got through his rough patches.

Mary is a bit more introverted. She spends a lot of her time on the computer/phone. But she knows a lot about how those things work. I use them, but when things get too complicated I'll ask for her help.

Me? I'm....hmm. I guess I'm a bit more outgoing and approachable. I get invited to parties around school and I really like socializing with everyone there. Maybe I'd make a good salesman?

Ferrosol posted:

What's your favourite place to hang out at in Winford?

There have been a couple attempts of outsiders trying to set things up in our town, but either they pass or it dies over time and they bail. There was a film being made here - they bought some empty land and set up a movie theater that the film would take place in. As far as I can tell things were going well.

And then they weren't.

The people just left. The police shut the fake theater down and investigated it. Later, we heard there was a death on set, some accident. But...it's kind of weird you know? It just doesn't feel like the right answer. But no one really knows what went on down there. And it's got a bit of a reputation.

So that's where I go. It's not an actual theater of course, but I like going to the one room for movies they set up and watching something on my phone. Like I'm going to the theaters to watch LetsPlays or people picking locks really quickly or reviewing fast food. Something kind of nice about having your own place, you know?

That's not too weird, is it?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

bump

We still got room for more goons n' goblins if y'all are feeling the Halloween spirit

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

What's the oddest thing the Baron has asked you to steal?
Heh. The Baron'd freak out if he heard you say that. He doesn't ask me to 'steal', he asks me to 'acquire'. He doesn't care how I get stuff, so long as I do get it. And he doesn't ask questions. But apparently it's important to him that he never told me to steal anything.

To answer your question... apparently he needed a child's baby tooth. Creepy, right? Let me tell you, I felt plenty creepy finding out who, in my class, had a little sibling young enough to still be losing baby teeth, figuring out where their mom kept them and snatching one when I dropped by for some homework after I pretended to be sick.
Plen-ty creepy. [clicks tongue, stares off into space] Yeah.

The lucky winner, in case you're curious, was Tabitha Barnes. Age eleven. Her brother's Liam is kind of a nobody who spends most of his lunches alone, and nobody would even remember his name if not for rumors that he's seeing a shrink. Just a matter of time until people start wondering what for... and there I am dropping by his house. Ah well. Needs must.

quote:

What happened to the last person you sent onto the Baron? Do you feel guilty?

That... was Christian Barragan. Owner of Barragan Corner Store. Nice guy. Nice bodega. Has a fat cat hanging out there.

He's in the Baron's debt now. Same as me.

I've learned to not think about it too much. To focus on the positive side. It was either this, or bankruptcy for him. Business wasn't great, and the poor guy was barely keeping his head above water.

...I'm not welcome in the corner store anymore.

quote:

Where do you go when you want to be alone for a while?

There's a bridge that overlooks the road that crosses through town. I like sitting there, look over it, watch the occasional car leave Winford and go beyond. Sometimes I allow myself to imagine doing the same, after I've balanced my books.

Heh.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Right recruitment is closed. Shockingly you all made it in. Please sort out your backstory strings.

Also

Your homeroom class is History taught by Mr Greene a barely functional alcoholic in his late 50s who appears to be counting down the days till he retires. He'll forgive pretty much anything as long as you don't make extra work for him.

[Mr. Greene]

[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []

Decide where you're sitting and then I'll ask you questions about your fellow students.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Serina Kiliç

You bore me. That's okay. Most people bore me these days. To have lived a millenia, only to end up here. It wasn't always like this. I used to be someone. Royalty. In an eternal kingdom. But alas, the hunters came. And went. And blood was just everywhere. So when the opportunity to escape presented itself, I took it. Off to the New World. Much better than off with her head.

So now I live a much different kind of life. Less elegance but... so much more interesting. Adults are so boring and dull and tired all the time. But teenagers are... well they have all the energy in the world. So I live among them. And when the fun ends, I leave.

Winford is up-and-coming and there's a thrill in the air as businesses flock to the town. A perfect playground for me to have some fun.

quote:

Name: Serina Kiliç
Skin: Vampire
Look: Smoldering, thirsty eyes
Origin: Many ages old

Stats
Hot 1
Cold 2
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood, direct from the source. If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
* you heal 1 Harm,
* you take 1 Forward,
* they definitely don’t die.

Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one:
* they realize exactly what you’ve done to them,
* they gently caress up your commands,
* their sanity is unhinged.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport -- like a cat does with a mouse. Maybe you’ll even drain them dry, though you’ll certainly take your time first. You escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Backstory
You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.
Lola doesn't know how much of a solid she did me when she drove me to the hospital that day after class. Stupid sun peeked out from behind a cloud and drove me into a tree!

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 12, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
[Mr. Greene]

[] [] [] []
[] [Serina] [] []
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

[] [] [] []
[] [Serina] [] []
[] [] [Shankar] []
[] [] [] []

Shankar's right in the middle of things.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
[] [] [] []
[] [Serina] [Luke] []
[] [] [Shankar] []
[] [] [] []

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

[] [] [] []
[] [Serina] [Luke] []
[Lola] [] [Shankar] []
[] [] [] []

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

Backstory
Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Okay so you know that whole speech I gave earlier about how I miss the boredom back in Utica? That's still true BUT when it comes to relationships? I need someone to light my fire, y'know what I mean?

And boy does Serina do that for me. She's breathtakingly beautiful and cool and so mysterious at the same time. And then there was that time that I friggin' saved her life after she parked her car into a tree. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating the "saved her life" bit but she seemed really grateful I got her to the hospital.

So that's like destiny, right? Yeah I think that's destiny.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Boy has life gotten a lot more complicated. A minor thing - my new neighbor Lola keeps looking through my blinds. I know it's my fault for leaving them up and it's not like I haven't seen a bit of her either but still. I think we just don't talk about what we see.

But the bigger thing is....how do I put this? I was at a party, had some drinks, and talked to Shankar. Don't know too much about him, but he's a local as well. We leaned against each other because we were tired

and then one of us

not saying who (Shankar) leaned in and

well

we kissed. It was shocking, it made me frightened, it felt so nice I never wanted to stop. And then we did. And then we walked away from each other and haven't talked to each other since. I want to get this situation under control, figure out....where we are. Who we are. I don't even know anymore man. But he's shutting me out. I think he has his own problems. Well, I dunno. Maybe he'll be more willing to sit down and listen if I help him out there.

gently caress.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 15, 2021

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

[Mr. Greene]

[Sam] [Lilly] [David] [Hannah]
[Eden] [Serina] [Luke] [Lewis]
[Lola] [Alex] [Shankar] [Mike]
[Jake] [Ashley] [Eve] [Cassie]

Serina

Cassie Walsh seems to really have it in for you. What did you do that so upset her?

What is it about Sam Wallace that you find so amusing?

Eden Carmichael keeps trying to recruit you for one of the sports teams. Which one is it and why does she think you’d be good at it?

Luke

Why does David Mason keep trying to make friends with you? Why have you turned him down so far?

Hannah Pope has been absent for a while. Why have people been saying she’s been absent from school and how do you know it’s not true?

Alex Marsh used to bully you right? How did you get him to stop?

Shankar

Why do you think the Baron warned you to stay away from Mike Woodward?

How did you get Lewis Green into trouble? Was it deliberate?

Lilly Ward did something nice for you. What was it and do you still feel you owe her for it?

Lola

What did Ashley Stone ask you to keep a secret? Have you kept it?

What is it that creeps you out about Eve O’Connor?

Jake Robinson is obsessed with something, What is it and why does he keep talking about it with you?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Serina

quote:

Cassie Walsh seems to really have it in for you. What did you do that so upset her?

Ugh, that burnout? She's just upset because I told everyone where I saw her working. What? Somebody has to pick up the trash other people leave in the movie theater. It's not like it's my fault that my soda ended up all over her shirt!

quote:

What is it about Sam Wallace that you find so amusing?

You know, I almost feel bad for Sam. It's like he wanted to sit in front of me, to feel my eyes constantly upon his back. He's terrified of me, but can't help himself from acting out to get my attention. Tripping while walking into the classroom. Waving awkwardly from across the hall. Of course, I've never said a word to him. He reminds me of the worshippers from long ago. Only so much... younger...

quote:

Eden Carmichael keeps trying to recruit you for one of the sports teams. Which one is it and why does she think you’d be good at it?

Eden keeps trying to recruit me for the volleyball team. Please, been there, done that. And in this case I mean quite literally - about a dozen years ago I was the team captain of a girl's volleyball tournament that won State (not this state, mind you). She probably can tell I've got some physical prowess and wouldn't mind having my body on the squad. That, or maybe she wants my body in her bed. It can be so hard to tell nowadays...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola

quote:

What did Ashley Stone ask you to keep a secret? Have you kept it?

Soooooo...Ashley's my girl, right? She's one of the first people in class--actually all of Winford now that I think about it--to make me feel comfortable since I started here. Well, tried to anyway.

Soooooo when she confided to me that a guy she was seeing got her pregnant and she had to get an abortion, you bet your rear end I kept that a secret. Hell, even if we weren't friends I'd keep it a secret anyway because that's the kind of person I am. Especially since it would have been a HUGE problem with her parents.

I never knew who it was she was seeing, and she never told me. But she seemed to be on friendly terms with a lot of the boys in class...

quote:

What is it that creeps you out about Eve O’Connor?

Eve is, like, your typical goth slash Wiccan chick who is in touch with nature, and spirits, and um Satan sometimes? Which by itself doesn't creep me out since I had my own little phase not too long ago when I listened to Meliora by Ghost that one time (that counts as goth music right?).

What does creep me out is when she talks about how she can actually see spirits and demons and stuff and gets extremely upset when we don't take her seriously. She also draws what she sees and, honestly, I think she's too good of an artist. Some of the things she draws can be...terrifying. The kind of stuff you can only see in nightmares.

Lately she seems focused on drawing this goofy looking skeleton in a top hat. So I guess that's a step up?

quote:

Jake Robinson is obsessed with something, What is it and why does he keep talking about it with you?

Jake is a really big fan of supernatural and horror drama shows like The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Supernatural and so on right? And he likes talking about them, and all the monsters they have, and all his fan theories like why the vampires in one show are different than in another show or what would happen if Rick Grimes was a werewolf...

I do not care. I REALLY do not care. I used to like monsters and horror stuff but Jake is quickly turning me off it all because he simply will not shut up about it.

I think I'm the only one whose ear he talks off about it. Which leaves me with this weird feeling like he's talking to me because he's trying to get my attention. Like he's trying to ask me out, I think? I don't know...it's just a weird feeling. But he's going about it the wrong way if that's the case.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Backstory

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the Dark Power and the other characters.
2 to the Baron, 1 to Serina.
I've been chipping away at my debt to the big guy, but it's been a long and tough road, let me tell you. And not without bumps.

It's almost like the system is rigged or something. Heh.

So the Baron tells me this huge, ornate bronze lamp is on sale, right? Groundskeeper Rico was selling it online, presumably with the help of his grandson.And he wants it. Okay then, I tell him, I'll get it for you boss. Big mistake.

I made an honest effort at bidding for it, you know? But no way I was going to match the sort of money that was being thrown around. And as for stealing it? Old man was watching that thing like an hawk, even called in sick at work to make sure no one would get a crack at it while he was out.

(Did someone warn him? Hmm. Something to think about.)

The Baron was on my rear end the whole time about it, and the anxiety was eating me alive. The gently caress was I supposed to do? I could only watch the bidding war rise higher and higher as the opportunity slipped through my fingers. I was going to pay for that later, I knew that for sure.

And then someone with a brand spanking new account outbids everyone else by five hundred bucks, gets the lamp, and the very next night Serina hands it over to me right as I was about to report my failure to the Baron, lording it over me, all smiles and self-satisfaction and assurances that it was nothing, really.

Can you imagine having that kind of cash to throw around? Good God but do I hate rich people.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
Luke, come on, man. We kissed once, while both tipsy at a party. There's no need to come around asking me if I'm okay and poo poo. You're making a fool of yourself, people are going to think you're dying for some action or something.

Don't get me wrong, it's flattering that you liked it so much, but it's not really necessary, okay? It's fine. I'm fine. Leave me alone, you've got your own poo poo to deal with, I'm sure.

Answers

quote:

How did you get Lewis Green into trouble? Was it deliberate?

Lewis can say whatever he wants, what happened to him was his fault and his fault alone.

It was him who asked to come along when I was dealing with the gangsters that hang around the tattoo parlor at the edge of town ("gangsters" is the term he used; Winford is too small to sustain a real gang, they're wannabes and riffraff, but enough to impress a white-collar dyed-in-the-wool boy like), it was him who kept interjecting and trying to pose like them until they got pissed, it was him that got caught when we made a run for it, and it was him who got busted by his parents with a bloody nose and a bloody hoodie.

What, did he expect I was going to fight like four people for him? gently caress off.

quote:

Lilly Ward did something nice for you. What was it and do you still feel you owe her for it?

With all this running around dealing with the Baron and Prometheus and the rest of the class' drama that I inevitably get caught on, it's been hard keeping up with school. Lilly noticed I was slipping lately and volunteered to tutor me. Free of charge.

I mean, she said "study together" but let's be real, she's like the second or third best student in class, she doesn't need help from my ignorant rear end.

Do I feel like I owe her? Well... she volunteered, I hardly asked for her help, and... oh who am I kidding, yes I owe her. I'll see what I can do.

quote:

Why do you think the Baron warned you to stay away from Mike Woodward?

It's very interesting that he did that! Usually he's all for me trying to befriend people. He figures that's more targets I can eventually deliver into his bony arms.

But not Mike. Not ol' Woodward. Not Mr. Cinnamon Bun, as some of the girls call him.

Fun fact: this one time I was trying to get a bead on a target's taste with the weird powers that the Baron gave me, and then Mikey passed by me on his bike, and my power went completely awire. It was like someone was playing a violin with a saw inside my skull. It sucked at the time, but still...

Isn't it interesting, that this happens only with dear old Mike? Very very interesting.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 16, 2021

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Why does David Mason keep trying to make friends with you? Why have you turned him down so far?

David...he means well, I think. He'll talk about injustices in America and social justice and all that...but it feels like he wants me around to balance out his friend group. All of them are white (and maybe straight? I still don't know if I'm something else) and seem to tolerate him. The last time he tried to bring me around, he brought up Black Lives Matter and asked about my views on it and one of his friends started going on about how Not All Police are bad and wanted to debate me and I just...left.

Maybe you understand where I'm coming from? I dunno, I think David could be a good person with the right knowledge - it's just that right now I have too much going on in my own life to be his hip black friend who teaches him about racism or whatever.

Ferrosol posted:

Hannah Pope has been absent for a while. Why have people been saying she’s been absent from school and how do you know it’s not true?

Hannah...I don't know what's she's up to. Or rather, I can guess and it's not good. Most people think she's getting ready to drop out and has stopped caring about showing up. But I know more about what's going on.

See, we were meeting together to work on a recent group project. And when heading to her house, I noticed her car trunk was open and there was something inside covered with tarp. I wish I could say the wind blew it off, or I noticed something off, but an open trunk with something being hidden away? I got curious. And I found drugs. There was weed, of course, but I think there may have been cocaine as well. Some pills of various colors in bags, some other powders...I don't know and I didn't take a good look. I put the tarp back and slammed the door shut in panic.

If she's been picking this up, that would explain absences. Selling it maybe, although I don't believe anyone goes to her for that. Part of me wonders if I should do or say something, and another part of me wants to pretend I didn't see it.

Ferrosol posted:

Alex Marsh used to bully you right? How did you get him to stop?

I broke his nose.

Okay, it's a bit more complicated then that. See, I figured he might give up if I didn't let it get to me. But it did, and and he didn't stop when I pretended it didn't. I shoved him once, and we both got detention. So I sat there, and I thought. I didn't want to fight back, because who knows what would happen...and what trouble I might get into if I fought back. But he continued to bully me and so I just got fed up and socked him in the stomach. He wasn't expected that, and puked all over the classroom.

We both got detention again, and my parents were called in. I think Alex thought I wouldn't do it again. So the next time he started shoving me around I punched him in the face. While he was screaming in pain I told him, "If I'm going to have to decide between letting you ruin my life and getting punished for hurting you, I'll take hurting you every god drat time."

He realized I was serious and has backed off for now. Who knows what he'll do in the future though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982595