Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Grabbed some tickets for the IMAX showing next week. I figured we should go all out for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I just saw a YouTube ad with Timothy Chalamet and Zendaya shamelessly telling me to risk my life with this film in a movie theater during COVID.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eblKqTZ-0Q

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Nolan did the same thing with that awful movie he released last year. They literally want you to die for their personal enrichment.

Watch this on HBOmax instead. Don’t be fools.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I give filmmakers slightly more of a pass now than when Nolan did it in the loving height of the first wave of the pandemic. At least around these parts you have to show proof of vaccination to walk through the door of a cinema and also mask the entire time.

Last summer when it was literal carnage in most areas? gently caress yourself Christopher Nolan. I was already a huge fan of Benson/Moorehead but their stance on this made me even bigger fans of them, while I went out of my way to watch Tenet via nefarious means.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah I feel way more comfortable about going to a movie now here in Ontario

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Nolan really really loves movie theatres. Like, more than he loves human life.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

MLSM posted:

Nolan did the same thing with that awful movie he released last year. They literally want you to die for their personal enrichment.

i miss seeing movies in theaters and Dune is an Event film.

Ill see it once i see reserved seats arent being filled up (so early December), at the back, in the corner...

or just hbo max gently caress it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'll see this on HBO Max next Friday and then I'll watch it on 35mm at my local art theater when they play it every year.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1448746473869529092

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1449103769027940368
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1448989587154485249

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Saw it today.

Liked it a lot. Stuck pretty close to the book from what I recall. Will say more in the morning

(double vaxxed, had to show proof, and distance was kept)

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

that's a v. sketchy reading of what kojima is saying.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Denis seems like a tough guy to be friends with. But I think he and kojima should be friends

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Denis seems like a tough guy to be friends with. But I think he and kojima should be friends

I don't think you're friends with Kojima until he puts your hologram into Death Stranding.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

MLSM posted:

Have you left the house in the past 6 months? Because reading a post like this leads me to believe maybe you haven't. You're not gonna fuckin die if you go to a movie theater. 80+% of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the covid vaccine. Leave your mask on and sit 6 feet away from other people. It's riskier to ride the bus.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My sister got a breakthrough covid case at a restaurant despite being fully vaxxed and then despite quarantining passed it on to her 6 year old (obviously unvaccinated) daughter who thankfully ended up not dying. Got pretty close though!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AwkwardKnob posted:

Have you left the house in the past 6 months? Because reading a post like this leads me to believe maybe you haven't. You're not gonna fuckin die if you go to a movie theater. 80+% of Americans have gotten at least one dose of the covid vaccine. Leave your mask on and sit 6 feet away from other people. It's riskier to ride the bus.

who’s gonna tell him

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you still want reviews, I saw it two or three weeks back.

I'm not a huge fan of Villeneuve, and Dune shares what I don't like about all of his films that I've seen (only going back to Sicario): What Villeneuve has to say is not nearly deep or profound enough to warrant how ponderous and long-winded he tends to get in saying it. If that's exactly what you like about his style, that's fine, you'll probably love Dune too. I'm not opposed to a slow and measured build-up, if it works. And that could have been achieved as a centerpiece of this first film, increasingly rising dread as Leto is getting caught deeper and deeper in the inevitable Harkonnen trap. But it never comes together. And all it builds up to is a generic sci-fi battle scene of mobs of people screaming and running at each other with swords, with explosions in the background. Or maybe this example is better: Despite this film only covering half the book, and Lynch's the whole, characters that only appear in this half, like Yueh and Piter, are much better fleshed out and more interesting and memorable in Lynch's version. Villeneuve doesn't appear interested in them at all. And not just these two. There's little time spent on the Harkonnen, none on the Emperor and his court, very little on the negotiations and politics and minor characters in Arrakeen.

Another thing that I really didn't like was how monochromatic and colorless the entire film is. I don't know, maybe that's due to the 3D glasses, but there was practically no visual distinction between Caladan and Arrakis, for example. Everything looked equally washed out. The Atreides are dressed in generic sci-fi grey, the Harkonnen in generic sci-fi black, and the Sardaukar in generic sci-fi white. And all the sets are huge nearly featureless slabs of stone, as if everything takes place inside an Egyptian pyramid or Cyclopean tomb that was never intended for human habitation. It's a huge difference to the elaborate Italian-made sets of the Lynch Dune. There's little contrast between the stern, spartan Atreides and the stern, spartan Fremen. And there's not enough Harkonnen in the film for them to be much of a visual contrast either.

There's things that are great: Chalamet is the best Paul we've ever had, and Oscar Isaac and he are perfectly cast as father and son. And to be fair, a lot of time is also spent on Paul and Duncan's relationship, and Jason Momoa is as charismatic and watchable as always. I found the fight choreography disappointing, but the Sardaukar get a very effective introduction. I also loved the ornithopter design.

Full disclosure: I saw the Lynch Dune as a kid, years before I read the book, and found it extremely memorable, and his Harkonnen definitely left a deep impression. I still love that film, despite its flaws and I don't remember ever being confused about the plot. Well, maybe the heart plugs and the cat-milking. I do hope we get D U N C 2, because this film left me feeling like it stopped just as things were about to get interesting, and without a sequel, Lynch's Dune will still be plugged unchallenged in my heart.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AwkwardKnob posted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For the record you can watch a movie in a theater safely if:

1) You use a KF94, KN95, FFP2, N95 or higher rated mask (cloth masks and surgical masks are better than nothing but not by much)

2) you wear eye protection such as glasses or goggles

3) don’t take off your mask for any reason at the theater, not to eat, not in the restroom

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, I think going to a movie theater is probably pretty benign if you're willing to correctly wear a respirator. For me it's basically a tradeoff of comfort of not having to do that and not having to deal with other people's obnoxious theater habits vs not getting imax and having to watch it with hbo's lovely compression. I lean on the side of watching it at home but I understand other people's preferences lining up differently. Thanks for reading my nuanced view

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Breakthrough COVID happens but your chances personally of getting it if you're vaccinated are 1 in 5,000

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw No Time to Die in IMAX and god drat it felt good to be totally engulfed like that again, looking forward to feel like I'm getting consumed by a sandworm during DUNC (don't kinkshame)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hodgepodge posted:

i'll save myself the trouble of looking it up and assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

D U N C: assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Saw it this evening in theaters. My wife, who has not read the books, didn't really care for it. She liked the cinematography and the fact she could understand it, but didn't feel attached to any of the characters or the monochromatic world at all, and absolutely hated how it ended just as it seems we're about to get some character development. I really don't know how this gets received as a stand-alone movie.

As a companion to the books, I thought it was great. The visuals are excellent, the casting is great, the mood is perfect. They did a fantastic job of showing the scale of everything going on, and the pacing felt right on. I just wish they focused more on less characters - there's still a lot of characters coming and going, and none of them really felt fleshed out. I wanted a bit more intrigue, suspense and drama, something to build more to the action scenes (that were really well done).

One bummer is, I wish it was a little more weird? It was pretty straightforward. I have fond memories of Lynch's version with wonderful sets, costumes, and all kinds of memorable scenes that this one didn't have. But then again, I am also probably completely misremembering Lynch's version because I haven't seen it in a looong time

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is there a cat antidote with a rat taped to it?

Also how many pugs?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
there was more screen time dedicated to looking over shoulder visions than there was to the betrayal plot

suks to be yueh indeed

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/uDEW06u.mp4

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I've only just now clicked this thread having no clue what in the world "DUNC" was and finally becoming curious after realizing it has 80 pages so it's gotta be about something significant :v:

I don't have much to add except I once made a really earnest attempt to get into the 1984 film and really just couldn't, and given its reputation I figured it was mostly the film's fault. So I'm surprised from what I've seen of this new one that it doesn't seem to have fixed anything? It really seems like the same movie with a bump in effects and camera work. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch another 2 hours of the sky being barely a different shade of brown or gray from the sand and people running around with that black tube up their nostrils.

At this point I can only imagine the book is so popular because people don't actually have to see it.

On a different note, Oscar Isaac always struck me as being pretty young so it surprises me to see him playing middle-aged here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Saw the movie and it was very good in my opinion. The 2.5 hours felt a lot shorter than I expected.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

On a different note, Oscar Isaac always struck me as being pretty young so it surprises me to see him playing middle-aged here.

Oscar Isaac was pretty young 15 years ago.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

So I'm surprised from what I've seen of this new one that it doesn't seem to have fixed anything?

This isn't close to accurate lol

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

It really seems like the same movie with a bump in effects and camera work.

The problem with Dune 1984 was not the way it looked.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I unironically think if you put both movies on mute so you couldn’t hear the names you would not know they were adapting the same book

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I've only just now clicked this thread having no clue what in the world "DUNC" was and finally becoming curious after realizing it has 80 pages so it's gotta be about something significant :v:

I don't have much to add except I once made a really earnest attempt to get into the 1984 film and really just couldn't, and given its reputation I figured it was mostly the film's fault. So I'm surprised from what I've seen of this new one that it doesn't seem to have fixed anything? It really seems like the same movie with a bump in effects and camera work. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch another 2 hours of the sky being barely a different shade of brown or gray from the sand and people running around with that black tube up their nostrils.

At this point I can only imagine the book is so popular because people don't actually have to see it.

Have you made any effort to educate yourself about the new movie and the people behind it? Or the reception it has received so far or the reasons why the 1984 turned out as it did, before you made this turd of a post?

Did you watch it muted on your phone since your only take away was the color of the sky?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a magnificent post in the venerable old style of "are they trolling, or just a dingus"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

greetings from c-spam

Filthy Hans posted:

Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Baron Harkonnen to another name."

Bene Jesserit: "Baron Harkonnen and Duke Leto Atreides are not the same."

Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV: "Duke Leto was a spice miner. Was Duke Leto a spice miner? So will Duke Leto now lose his status? Are we going to take down -- excuse me, are we going to take down statues to Duke Leto? How about Beast Rabban? What do you think of Beast Rabban? You like him?"

Bene Jesserit: "I do love Beast Rabban."

Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV: "Okay, good. Are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue?

"So you know what, it’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing culture. And you had people -- and I’m not talking about the Harkonnen and the Sardaukar -- because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than Harkonnen and Sardaukar. Okay? And the Navigator's Guild has treated them absolutely unfairly.

"Now, in the Fremen group also, you had some fine people. But you also had troublemakers, and you see them come with the stillsuits and with the thumpers, and with the worm hooks. You had a lot of bad people in the Fremen group."

Filthy Hans posted:

BARON HARKONNEN: Our trade house is in serious trouble. We don't have jihads anymore. We used to have jihads, but we don't have them. When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let's say, the Navigator's Guild in a trade deal? They kill us. I beat the Navigator's Guild all the time. All the time.

(APPLAUSE)

twink sex slave: We want Baron Harkonnen. We want Baron Harkonnen.

BARON HARKONNEN: When did we beat House Atreides at anything? They send their ornithopters over by the millions, and what do we do? When was the last time you saw a Sardaukar on Caladan? It doesn't exist, folks. They beat us all the time.

When do we beat the Fremen at the shield wall? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they're killing us economically.

Giedi Prime has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems.

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you. It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Arakis sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending Fremen that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing spice. They're bringing worms. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

But I speak to Saudaukar and they tell us what we're getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They're sending us not the right people.

It's coming from more than Dune. It's coming from all over House Atreides, and it's coming probably — probably — from House Corrino. But we don't know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don't know what's happening. And it's got to stop and it's got to stop fast.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Movie was great. I do get the criticism people had about some locations looking kinda similar. The muted colors didn't really help in that regard either. Shame too since there was a ton of detail in the sets.

e: I think the Sardaukar needed a scene to establish how badass they were. Their intro scene on their planet was neat, but they didn't really seem like elite soldiers. Certainly not moreso than the Harkonnen or Atreides. Maybe change the scene where the Atreides are fighting on the stairs to have them hold off a huge amount of Harkonnen footsoldiers while taking minimal losses, only to have a handful of Sardaukar breakthrough their defensive line with ease. The movie kinda had this, but they ambushed the Atreides from behind and outnumbered them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Trump posted:

Have you made any effort to educate yourself about the new movie and the people behind it? Or the reception it has received so far or the reasons why the 1984 turned out as it did, before you made this turd of a post?

Did you watch it muted on your phone since your only take away was the color of the sky?

I probably should have noted that I was indeed making an immediate initial impression from only looking at the trailer on my phone.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade! When I'm really into a new release and want to see it do well I'm often interested in how it's being perceived by someone who isn't really paying attention and thought I'd offer that "unwashed masses" perspective here.