Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And it gets much worse, some serious anti-vax ultra-libertarians just casually wishing for widespread death, to preserve their freedoms, since "the vaccines don't work against getting infected and spreading COVID anyway".

I'm checking out from HN forever, the fact that they just let this insanity fester is the last straw. Did the same with Reddit years ago, feels good.

E: this is a previous comment in the thread, speaking of Nazis:

quote:

twofornone 6 hours ago [–]

The downvotes on this site have gotten insane. This is a perfectly rational comment. Whether you agree with them or not, just burying your hand and refusing to acknowledge that a nontrivial percentage of workers oppose mandates is just asinine. Boneheaded authoritarianism.

If you ever wondered how horrors like the soviet union and nazi germany are possible, take a look at the religious groupthink that has seemingly consumed multiple first world democracies, over a virus with a 99% survival rate. Suddenly americans are cheering on censorship and authoritarianism and refuse to question their mass hysteria; it's high time you paused and asked yourselves if you're the baddies.

The "perfectly rational" comment he's referring to is someone saying that it's completely fine if people just shut down work if their employers require them to be vaccinated, because they consider the vaccine to be more dangerous than getting COVID. Perfectly rational :shepface:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
kloch 6 minutes ago [–]

I don't think it's reasonable to compare cryptocurrencies to chain letters.
Chain letters' sole purpose is to enrich early adopters at the expense of later participants.

While early adopters of cryptocurrencies frequently do reap windfall gains, it is not necessarily at the expense of later users as it is with chain letters. The early adopter benefits for cryptocurrencies are no different than early investors in a business that goes on to produce a popular and successful product.

Unlike chain letters cryptocurrencies provide a useful utility of a medium of exchange coupled with consensus based algorithmic scarcity. This is an attractive alternative to centrally planned fiat currencies that are persistently and intentionally debased over time.

Whether the power usage is worth the utilitarian benefits to societey is certainly a valid debate and hopefully will lead to more efficient protocols.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

kloch 6 minutes ago [–]

I don't think it's reasonable to compare cryptocurrencies to chain letters.
Chain letters' sole purpose is to enrich early adopters at the expense of later participants.

While early adopters of cryptocurrencies frequently do reap windfall gains, it is not necessarily at the expense of later users as it is with chain letters. The early adopter benefits for cryptocurrencies are no different than early investors in a business that goes on to produce a popular and successful product.

Unlike chain letters cryptocurrencies provide a useful utility of a medium of exchange coupled with consensus based algorithmic scarcity. This is an attractive alternative to centrally planned fiat currencies that are persistently and intentionally debased over time.

Whether the power usage is worth the utilitarian benefits to societey is certainly a valid debate and hopefully will lead to more efficient protocols.

Cryptocurrencies are more like speculating in the stock market than chain letters. No, that's a good thing.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

Cryptocurrencies are more like speculating in the stock market than chain letters. No, that's a good thing.

cryptocurrency gains are at the expense of later users both because the hashing difficulty grows as more people get into it and also because of the limited supply of coins it means it is deflationary

cryptocurrencies provide an useful utility of a medium of exchange in the same way as buying a new work laptop each morning is a useful utilisation of your company's budget

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

should we update the thread title to "now serving a purpose since n-gate stopped" ?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
sgregnt 47 minutes ago |

In my opinion a world is a much better place with people like Zuck.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DuckConference posted:

should we update the thread title to "now serving a purpose since n-gate stopped" ?

did they? well let’s get some more suggestions for thread title going

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

hn thread: pg's (no) funhouse

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hn thread: veni vidi vc

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VC? More like WC.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn thread: concentrated slashdot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
slashdot? more like slandot

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hitlernews

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pcstl 32 minutes ago [–]

I actually think in-game content is one of the most legitimate uses for NFTs. It's also cool that since the on-chain data doesn't go away if the game does, it allows for in-game collectables which are not tied to a specific game. Lots of possibilities there.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

hn thread: concentrated slashdot
I think slashdot was a bit different because during its peak people weren't getting figgies and optimistic about even bigger figgies so they were more about open source and hating their job and less about passive income rent seeking and cryptocurrency grifts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fritz posted:

pcstl 32 minutes ago [–]

I actually think in-game content is one of the most legitimate uses for NFTs. It's also cool that since the on-chain data doesn't go away if the game does, it allows for in-game collectables which are not tied to a specific game. Lots of possibilities there.

lol where do they think the content is exactly??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

I think slashdot was a bit different because during its peak people weren't getting figgies and optimistic about even bigger figgies so they were more about open source and hating their job and less about passive income rent seeking and cryptocurrency grifts.

also posting ascii goatse

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

lol where do they think the content is exactly??

i mean, if i can’t keep using my $30,000 in PoE cosmetics when everybody switches over to PoE 2, it’ll almost be like i wasted a shitload of money

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i do love those people. basically every game with a ton of cosmetics makes most of its money by selling those cosmetics. making cosmetics look good on your game’s character models takes a lot of time. so this entire idea is premised on game developers putting in years of work to wreck their own revenue streams

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's such a fundamental misunderstanding of absolutely everything. cross-game cosmetics only make any sort of financial sense as a specific cross-marketing thing intended to get players of each game to try the other one, and adding nfts to the mix would just undermine that. cross-game functional items make even less sense. the idea of getting gear or a spaceship or whatever in one game and then using it in a different game is something that only someone who has never actually played a video game could think would work or be a good idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

i mean, if i can’t keep using my $30,000 in PoE cosmetics when everybody switches over to PoE 2, it’ll almost be like i wasted a shitload of money

don’t look up 802.3bt-2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

it's such a fundamental misunderstanding of absolutely everything. cross-game cosmetics only make any sort of financial sense as a specific cross-marketing thing intended to get players of each game to try the other one, and adding nfts to the mix would just undermine that. cross-game functional items make even less sense. the idea of getting gear or a spaceship or whatever in one game and then using it in a different game is something that only someone who has never actually played a video game could think would work or be a good idea.

otoh my level 120 wow tank with 500k hitpoints will wreck face in baldur's gate

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rjmccall posted:

otoh my level 120 wow tank with 500k hitpoints will wreck face in baldur's gate

what's his save vs petrification

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

yeah i was mostly thinking of its long community decline over a few years where the sane or interesting people were quietly but steadily falling off, leaving behind a bunch of loud libertarians with the effect accelerating and feeding on itself over time until there wasn't anything left

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah i was mostly thinking of its long community decline over a few years where the sane or interesting people were quietly but steadily falling off, leaving behind a bunch of loud libertarians with the effect accelerating and feeding on itself over time until there wasn't anything left
the classic Grognard Death Spiral: when a community begins to decline, the least intensely committed fall away first, leaving the conversation dominated increasingly by loud cranks, which drives away more non-cranks, and so on until all thats left is a dozen total assholes screaming at each other for all eternity

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

but enough about yospos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

but enough about yospos
weirdly, no. the sa system of escalating probations and bans tends to drive off the most annoying and aggressive posters (as opposed to the typical laissez-faire approach to moderation leading to the loudest and most belligerent posters overwhelming all discussion)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FMguru posted:

weirdly, no. the sa system of escalating probations and bans tends to drive off the most annoying and aggressive posters

is this what goons honestly believe lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hobbesmaster posted:

don’t look up 802.3bt-2018

i lol'd at this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

the idea of getting gear or a spaceship or whatever in one game and then using it in a different game is something that only someone who has never actually played a video game could think would work or be a good idea.

can’t wait til the EU Parliament mandates it

or President Xi

President Xi, please, our DLC yearn for freedom

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

pcstl 32 minutes ago [–]

*looking at an insane man setting a pile of garbage on fire* lots of possibilities there

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

did slashdot have upvotes and downvotes? i can't remember if they did but that seems to accelerate the death spiral everywhere it's used

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

did slashdot have upvotes and downvotes? i can't remember if they did but that seems to accelerate the death spiral everywhere it's used

(Score: 5, Insightful)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember when 9/10 front page posts on Digg were about Ron Paul

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

is this what goons honestly believe lol

where are stymie and fishmech now

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

They did, but it was an extremely weird system. Firstly, only like 1% of the users could vote at any given time (randomly selected on a weekly? basis), and you couldn't just vote up or down, you had to specify the reason why you wanted to up is down vote the comment, with the most-voted reason being displayed with the score on the comment. Votes were also limited to a range of IIRC -1 to +5. Co.ments from anonymous users started at +1 and comments from logged-in users started at +2.

People who were not allowed to vote on the comments directly could instead vote whether they thought a given comment was over- or under-rated. This didn't change the actual comment score but instead acted as a way to rate how good the people who were voting voted which affected how frequently they would be selected to be able to vote. Additionally, participating in this "metamoderation" system increased the odds you would be selected to be able to vote.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Mr.Radar posted:

They did, but it was an extremely weird system. Firstly, only like 1% of the users could vote at any given time (randomly selected on a weekly? basis), and you couldn't just vote up or down, you had to specify the reason why you wanted to up is down vote the comment, with the most-voted reason being displayed with the score on the comment. Votes were also limited to a range of IIRC -1 to +5. Co.ments from anonymous users started at +1 and comments from logged-in users started at +2.

People who were not allowed to vote on the comments directly could instead vote whether they thought a given comment was over- or under-rated. This didn't change the actual comment score but instead acted as a way to rate how good the people who were voting voted which affected how frequently they would be selected to be able to vote. Additionally, participating in this "metamoderation" system increased the odds you would be selected to be able to vote.

This sounds right from what I remember, except I think anonymous started at either 0 or -1 and logged-in started at +1. Their scoring system is goofy in a lot of ways, but to be fair, any attempt at crowdsourcing moderation will probably be at least as goofy

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

DaTroof posted:

This sounds right from what I remember, except I think anonymous started at either 0 or -1 and logged-in started at +1. Their scoring system is goofy in a lot of ways, but to be fair, any attempt at crowdsourcing moderation will probably be at least as goofy

That was all from memory from like 10 years ago so you could be right.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

DaTroof posted:

You could also set custom modifiers. So your account would set -4 funny +2 insightful, +2 interesting, anonymous -1 which would be added to whatever the moderators chose (still within the -1 to +5 range) and make the comments more suited to your wants. So the +5 funny In Soviet Russia joke would automatically get buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DaTroof posted:

yeah, defaults for logged in was +1, and if your karma was high enough, you'd get a +2 as your default starting score.

where they hosed up of course is not taking into account bad actors and "karma whoring", as well as actually displaying people's karma score, which of course lead to an arms race to see how high they could go/who could get the highest score.

some account called Signal11 would do nothing but repost the summary in the comments and invariably get +5 very quickly, which no one bothered modding down. it took a lot of complaints about this "karma whoring" for the slashdot admins to even admit they did something wrong , let alone finally fix it.