Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
:unsmith: then I’ll work on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
do it now

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what about the bathroom OP it smells like piss

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Clean clean clean your room
Drain the jugs of piss
Make it barely habitable
How do you live like this?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok whatever. :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

and then do it again, every week, for the rest of your life

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Purchase posted:

and then do it again, every week, for the rest of your life

The experience of doing it once is enough to last a lifetime. :smug:

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I cleaned up a tiny bit

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

clean some more imo

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I suffer from brain problems

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you can do it, OP. i believe in you and the power of cleaning

it takes energy for the brain to ignore something. if you have a nice clean space your brain naturally feels better

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Just try to do a little bit each day. It's way more overwhelming when you have to do the whole place after a week or so of ignoring it.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i love derek jeterson

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

epic 2012 username posted:

:unsmith: then I’ll work on things

Good. Start with the back of your house and work your way to the front door. Do pushups while doing so.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Break things down in accomplishable goals. Don't "clean the entire house" at once. Start with "clean the kitchen top". Then "organise the garage shelves and toss crap" and keep going. It's like when you're at school or work and it's dragging but you keep going "I just need to make it to 1:30." At 1:30 it's now 1:45, etc. Just keep going.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

syntaxfunction posted:

Break things down in accomplishable goals. Don't "clean the entire house" at once. Start with "clean the kitchen top". Then "organise the garage shelves and toss crap" and keep going. It's like when you're at school or work and it's dragging but you keep going "I just need to make it to 1:30." At 1:30 it's now 1:45, etc. Just keep going.

This guy thinks I have a house

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
No lie buddy I've been in some rough brain spots myself in the past and let poo poo get really out of control. I got the broom and swept it all into a big pile, plopped my rear end down next it it and started stuffing it all into garbage bags. Figured if I didn't care enough about it to keep it off the ground I just didn't need it. Dishes, old clothes, cans, boom. Taken care of.

It worked for me but ymmv depending on what exactly you got laying around.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They should make a vacuum cleaner you can drive. Like a bumper car that you just ricochet in around the apartment

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Icochet posted:

They should make a vacuum cleaner you can drive. Like a bumper car that you just ricochet in around the apartment

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
As long as you're not doing it because Jordan Peterson told you to.
Literally any other motivation, go hog wild.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just burn it down OP.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm in the process of moving and I'm really feeling the pain of not having been tidier over the years. Get your room clean OP and follow all the advice in here to make a routine of it, there's no way you'll regret it.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
You gotta choose one thing per day

Theres usually 3 things:

1) Floors
2) Benchtops/Tables. including stovetop, microwave, bathroom
3) Stuff - things you haven't put away

There is a 4) and that's The Dishes. Dishes always have to be done first. Doing these as you go - on a per meal basis - makes the other 3 the only ongoing problems you have to deal with each week.

Start this on a Friday after work and your next week will start off well.

None of these things should take over an hour each. Maybe even 30 minutes. And do them in the morning, so its over and done with.

The best order is:

Friday
1) Stuff, just put all the poo poo lying around away. Clothes on chairs (into the washing machine), sauce bottles on bench tops etc. Clear everything away then stop for the day.

Saturday
2) Benchtops/tables/cooker/bathroom. Wipe all the surfaces down, dust shelves, clean the sinks, doesn't matter if it gets on the floor, thats fixed tomorrow.

Sunday
3)Clean the floors. Vacuum every floor surface first, carpets and tiles/wood, then do any mopping.

If you're not completely hosed you only need to do all that every second weekend (except the dishes, do that every loving meal)

Now you don't live like poo poo.

Boner M fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 16, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hot tip: if you have a free second and see something that needs to be done (like wiping a table quickly) just do it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Treecko posted:

No lie buddy I've been in some rough brain spots myself in the past and let poo poo get really out of control. I got the broom and swept it all into a big pile, plopped my rear end down next it it and started stuffing it all into garbage bags. Figured if I didn't care enough about it to keep it off the ground I just didn't need it. Dishes, old clothes, cans, boom. Taken care of.

It worked for me but ymmv depending on what exactly you got laying around.

Why do you have dishes mixed up with clothes lol? :downs:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i like to say "clean room, clean brain" because it definitely has an effect on your overall frame of mind

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

i like to say "clean room, clean brain" because it definitely has an effect on your overall frame of mind

100%

my place was never really gross, just never vacuumed or dusted and never put anything away so there was no free space anywhere. maybe a month ago i started just doing 30 minutes of cleaning/general 'stuff i could put off but probably shouldn't' a day and it's so much better now, it's like i moved into a free new house

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OP are you a Jordan Peterson fan

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Boner M posted:

You gotta choose one thing per day

Theres usually 3 things:

1) Floors
2) Benchtops/Tables. including stovetop, microwave, bathroom
3) Stuff - things you haven't put away

There is a 4) and that's The Dishes. Dishes always have to be done first. Doing these as you go - on a per meal basis - makes the other 3 the only ongoing problems you have to deal with each week.

Start this on a Friday after work and your next week will start off well.

None of these things should take over an hour each. Maybe even 30 minutes. And do them in the morning, so its over and done with.

The best order is:

Friday
1) Stuff, just put all the poo poo lying around away. Clothes on chairs (into the washing machine), sauce bottles on bench tops etc. Clear everything away then stop for the day.

Saturday
2) Benchtops/tables/cooker/bathroom. Wipe all the surfaces down, dust shelves, clean the sinks, doesn't matter if it gets on the floor, thats fixed tomorrow.

Sunday
3)Clean the floors. Vacuum every floor surface first, carpets and tiles/wood, then do any mopping.

If you're not completely hosed you only need to do all that every second weekend (except the dishes, do that every loving meal)

Now you don't live like poo poo.

What if I also have 3.5 acres of lawn to care for, a detached garage that needs cleaning, and a long rear end driveway to snowblow in the winter, and a large garden?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
whats the point, nothing matters

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lascivious Sloth posted:

whats the point, nothing matters

Whats with all the nihilism posting? Are you ok? Pm if you want.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

OP are you a Jordan Peterson fan

i guess my mum is a jordan peterson fan because she told me to clean my room constantly growing up

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

She cleaned my room and made me a ham sandwich, after SEX

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why do it tomorrow? Nothing will happen if you don't do it.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Are you cleaning yet OP? Do it!

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
I picked up quite a bit and I’m waiting for the vacuum to charge thanks for your support folks

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Big Beef City posted:

What if I also have 3.5 acres of lawn to care for, a detached garage that needs cleaning, and a long rear end driveway to snowblow in the winter, and a large garden?

https://youtu.be/MHJ5lebOKoE

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Look who's baaaaaack

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Big Beef City posted:

how about you use some of those bags of lucre to hire some help there mr. monopoly man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Only chuds clean up their room op, all hail the chaos dragon