Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Neither. Great-great-grandson. Pan was over a hundred by the time of the GT special.

Ah ok. Though regardless I seem to remember that special actually being one of the better things to come out of GT and a nice little cap off to the series besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Maybe it's because as far as I can remember I only watched it once, but what's what bugged people off in the first arc in GT? All I can recall is that maybe it was a bit slow during the first few episodes when it was trying to evoke the Dragon Ball feeling and ended up falling into Monster of the Week territory, but after the Baby plot kicks off I remember it being good save the cop out ending

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 12, 2021

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I doubt it, ROF looks like poo poo but people moved on pretty fast.

There have been a lot of lovely Dragonball movies as well. If it ends up being bad, what's one more on the pile?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Asuron posted:

There have been a lot of lovely Dragonball movies as well. If it ends up being bad, what's one more on the pile?

This. You'd have to drop the ball really hard to beat Bio Broly for the title of worst DB movie

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Maybe it's because as far as I can remember I only watched it once, but what's what bugged people off in the first arc in GT? All I can recall is that maybe it was a bit slow during the first few episodes when it was trying to evoke the Dragon Ball feeling and ended up falling into Monster of the Week territory, but after the Baby plot kicks off I remember it being good save the cop out ending

There was one stupid nonsensical thing that I still still remember:
Oh I can't use Instant Transmission because I'm a kid and I didn't know IT when I was a kid. *proceeds to fly away* *also turns Super Saiyan*

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

lezard_valeth posted:

Maybe it's because as far as I can remember I only watched it once, but what's what bugged people off in the first arc in GT?

It's boring, op. I love Dragon Ball, I like it when the series tries to recapture the comedic adventure of Dragon Ball, but GT's attempt at it is just dull

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mmkay posted:

There was one stupid nonsensical thing that I still still remember:
Oh I can't use Instant Transmission because I'm a kid and I didn't know IT when I was a kid. *proceeds to fly away* *also turns Super Saiyan*

I mean, it might make sense considering he's relearning from scratch and Super Saiyan is easy to do once you have the trick down, but Instant Transmission you really don't want to gently caress up because you never know how many pieces you might end up in or where. But still lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also I wouldn’t day it’s just the ending of baby. They have a premise that they abandoned pretty quickly just so Baby can be more evil

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

lezard_valeth posted:

This. You'd have to drop the ball really hard to beat Bio Broly for the title of worst DB movie

You'd think Android 13 would've done it. That movie was dull as hell unless you watched the English dub.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

android 13 owns because it's basically a wrestling ppv

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Android 13 punching Goku in the dick makes it an instant classic.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Android 13 punching Goku in the dick makes it an instant classic.

That's the only good part unless you watched Funimation ham it up with the trucker-bot voice.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Rudoku posted:

That's the only good part unless you watched Funimation ham it up with the trucker-bot voice.

I see your funimation and raise you TFS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJHEQ8g1Yms

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Android 13 says States' Rights

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

android 13 is a resounding Okay

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Android 13 gave us this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwj91-uHDa8

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol I had no idea that bit in Abridged was from an older parody. Or at least, an older parody of that movie…

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Android 13 movie is funny by itself. Everyone is hiding under the ice for some reason. The Androids have silly hats, habits and accents. The saiyans spend an eternity getting beat up becase :shrug:
Goku gets punched in the dick.
Goky is mildly alarmed that a computer is trying to kill him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku being mildly alarmed is his default state

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku being mildly alarmed is his default state

I'd say he's usually more waku waku about new threats than mildly alarmed.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Last Celebration posted:

Lol I had no idea that bit in Abridged was from an older parody. Or at least, an older parody of that movie…

and the guy who did the older parody is Kami in the Abridged version

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

They put in a lot of different tidbits (like when Krillin mentioned he forgot Korin's name and called him Whiskers the Wonder Cat; it was actually from this dub).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

speaking of TFS, i'm sure most of you know they've been doing stuff like this recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ9aG7Tsgc

which is perfectly fine and entertaining, but i thought they were dropping dragonball entirely? because they kept getting into copyright issues with Toei and eventually got tired of fighting them on it. so what's the deal with this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Interweb posted:

speaking of TFS, i'm sure most of you know they've been doing stuff like this recently:

which is perfectly fine and entertaining, but i thought they were dropping dragonball entirely? because they kept getting into copyright issues with Toei and eventually got tired of fighting them on it. so what's the deal with this?

the copyright issues matter a lot less when you're not literally using the footage

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
i kind of got the feeling that the buu saga would have been very difficult to parody because it was basically a parody of the series and making jokes about jokes isn't a fun time for anyone. how can they improve perfect moments like buu screaming his way out of the time chamber, jawbreaker vegito or Gohan breaking a mythological sword shortly after acquiring it?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
or the part where the villain that looks like a chewed piece of juicyfruit fights the villain that looks like a dubble bubble

or where Satan and Buu become domestic partners and adopt a puppy

or when two very muscly men beat up a teenage girl in a martial arts tournament

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that, and the buu arc is iirc the longest in the series

I know they had trouble with copyright flags, but I don't think they're the reason they quit doing regular DBZA

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

the copyright issues matter a lot less when you're not literally using the footage

possibly? but you're still using those very same characters. wouldn't something like that not be allowed under copyright law?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

I kinda got the impression from what KaiserNeko said that they were burnt out on full time DBZA stuff and that at the copyright fights were *part* of that, plus stuff like those shorts probably aren’t involved to nearly the same extent as their mainline series which got pretty involved from the looks of those Behind the Scenes videos. They probably still love the series a lot but just don’t want to tackle anything else of the main series cause Cell was a great stopping point and like other people said, how can you do an Abridged Buu/Super besides those little clips of the latter they made?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda got the impression from what KaiserNeko said that they were burnt out on full time DBZA stuff and that at the copyright fights were *part* of that, plus stuff like those shorts probably aren’t involved to nearly the same extent as their mainline series which got pretty involved from the looks of those Behind the Scenes videos. They probably still love the series a lot but just don’t want to tackle anything else of the main series cause Cell was a great stopping point and like other people said, how can you do an Abridged Buu/Super besides those little clips of the latter they made?

Yeah, I was sad when they decided to end it, but looking back at it now, I think it was the right move. Buu would've been a slog for them, and Super wouldn't be nearly as interesting to do outside of maybe the ToP.

At first I wished they at least would have kept doing the movies, just to see what they might've done with Videl and Saiyaman, but like, what could you do with Bio Broly?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

possibly? but you're still using those very same characters. wouldn't something like that not be allowed under copyright law?

But its entirely new footage and in a way that clearly cannot be misconstrued as the original product

Its basically actual parody, instead of Abridged stuff which is arguable at best

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s not really arguable as they won the copyright strike contest basically everytime it came up.

I feel it won’t be long until these enter the same zone.

As you can’t forget they only dealt with copyright issues like four times in a 70 episode plus run.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not really arguable as they won the copyright strike contest basically everytime it came up.

I feel it won’t be long until these enter the same zone.

As you can’t forget they only dealt with copyright issues like four times in a 70 episode plus run.

They got copyright strikes a lot more than 4 times dude.
They still keep getting them every now and then!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they were starting to make entirely new shots for their DBZA stuff and editing sequences so heavily that like, the logical next step was just them making their own dragonball footage to free themselves from the restrictions of the show itself. Cell in a Hell as a whole lil series makes total sense- it solves tons of the problems they were having while still letting them play in a Dragonball themed sandbox. i think it's the best option for them moving forward that's not just "stop doing dragonball stuff entirely"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The next Db cember is going to be their last
because they're running outta ideas. It's better than running it into the ground.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Monaghan posted:

because they're running outta ideas. It's better than running it into the ground.

Switch it up with a new holiday season to keep it fresh, like DBEaster.

"And on the third day did Goku rise again, but he got there kind of late so God's nephew/recovering evil half got merced by a giant dude in armor and bike shorts.."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Monaghan posted:

For the best, honestly. Team Fourstar is not a Dragonball entity anymore. If they're going to grow and change, it's likely in the professional dubbing/editing/misc. production field.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Covok posted:

For the best, honestly. Team Fourstar is not a Dragonball entity anymore. If they're going to grow and change, it's likely in the professional dubbing/editing/misc. production field.

They've only done 1 dub, and it's unclear if they'll get to do anymore because they're apparently not well liked in the dubbing industry. They seem to have moved to just being Twitch streamers.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

They've only done 1 dub, and it's unclear if they'll get to do anymore because they're apparently not well liked in the dubbing industry. They seem to have moved to just being Twitch streamers.

Actually a lot of people in funimation love them. In fact they were gonna have a cameo in DBKai's buu saga but Toei veto'd it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-HiOzcjJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Siegkrow posted:

Actually a lot of people in funimation love them. In fact they were gonna have a cameo in DBKai's buu saga but Toei veto'd it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-HiOzcjJg

Specifically Chris Sabat, who pretty high up in Funi, likes them, but that doesn't translate across the industry.