Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Welp got my credit card stolen some dirtbags in Europe got me for around $1400 while I was out at the bar. Super fun phone call from the better half this morning:

"Uhh, theres a lot of money gone from the account", what did you guys get up to last night?

Thankfully the money is coming back so no major dramas, but it doesn't feel good to be pwned.

A while back I had a metroPCS piece of poo poo phone. They reassigned the number after I let the account expire. The person they reassigned it to was a meth-head in Cleveland OH who got access to my Facebook and started telling my sister to suck her cock and other fun poo poo. I obviously remembered the number so I called her and told her to knock it off. The call didn't go well, lol.

Any computer touchers want to elaborate on how to stop this kind of thing? I've called the hotel they racked up the charges at, but I doubt they actually stayed there. There were charges for a car rental place in Ireland as well

Anyone else had their id or card info stolen before? what was the experience like? did you have to start a new life... under the sea?

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
If someone wants to steal my identity I say God bless them. It ain’t doing me any good! 😂

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My husband had one of those shittly wisely pay cards from work and one time it went like 1k negative from a 'purchase' at a BJ's Wholesale. There's not even one in this state. I don't understand how it wouldn't have just gotten declined, it's essential a pre-paid debit.

Anyway we just had to call the company and a few days later it was back to normal. Probably just got skimmed from a card reader but we never really got a concrete answer.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Joke's on them, my identity is based on nerd media

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never let my cards out of my hands especially when paying at a restaurant since I assume a waiter can memorize the 12 digit number and name on the front of a card and the 3 digit cvm on the back if they really wanted to.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

timely thread, it didn't happen to me, but someone i know had a medical appointment this afternoon as a new patient, and had trouble because their SSN was already in use in whatever prescription ordering system the office used, but with someone else's name. they're gonna have to go back with their social security card next week.

i had my credit card get stolen once many years ago, and the stuff the person bought was pretty boring. i end up getting some gift certificates in the mail for a spa somewhere in south florida after it happened. the bank reversed everything and i didn't have to do anything except notify them.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

timely thread, it didn't happen to me, but someone i know had a medical appointment this afternoon as a new patient, and had trouble because their SSN was already in use in whatever prescription ordering system the office used, but with someone else's name. they're gonna have to go back with their social security card next week.

i had my credit card get stolen once many years ago, and the stuff the person bought was pretty boring. i end up getting some gift certificates in the mail for a spa somewhere in south florida after it happened. the bank reversed everything and i didn't have to do anything except notify them.

This sounds like a real hassle. I had my passport lifted off of me in West Africa 2 days before flying back to the US, the embassy was able to fast track it and get me a new one right away which was nice but I don't think they just do that for Social Security Cards.

Also, what the gently caress is with social security cards?! Why the hell are the putting something so important on flimsy PAPER?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Never happened to me but I have a feeling it will soon. I'm extremely careless. An idiot, really

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

my friend took a picture of my penis and is showing it to people saying it's his penis.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

my friend took a picture of my penis and is showing it to people saying it's his penis.

Stolen valor

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hell Yeah posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's struggle with their humiliation fetish.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

OP I've had my cards skimmed a few times, and honestly, there's basically nothing you can do about it other than not use the card. You could use one time use virtual card numbers for sketchy stuff, but that doesn't help as much for in person transactions. Basically, people are gonna people. Sorry. Sucks a lot.

My bank recently got hit with a massive fraud issue and about 50,000 of us were affected. It took them over three weeks to get me a new debit card, because they suck. I'm pretty sure the only reason they overnighted it at no charge and waived a year of fees was because they knew they hosed up. I'm still moving to a different bank (the one I previously used for over a decade) at the end of the month. gently caress em.

If they get your IDs too, it can vary wildly based on locality, but I've had my ID changed within a day in some places, and it's taken months in others.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Vakal posted:

I never let my cards out of my hands especially when paying at a restaurant since I assume a waiter can memorize the 12 digit number and name on the front of a card and the 3 digit cvm on the back if they really wanted to.

A couple quick photos or even apps that just scan cards into the wallet. Area codes help though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Vakal posted:

It's completely normal to me to just call up a store and give the person on the other end of the line all this information. It's a million to one anyone scams me but I hope they do, they're just scamming the bank really.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hell Yeah posted:

Hey everyone look how hilariously tiny my penis is! Its like a cashew!

Mormon Nailer posted:

OP I've had my cards skimmed a few times, and honestly, there's basically nothing you can do about it other than not use the card. You could use one time use virtual card numbers for sketchy stuff, but that doesn't help as much for in person transactions. Basically, people are gonna people. Sorry. Sucks a lot.

My bank recently got hit with a massive fraud issue and about 50,000 of us were affected. It took them over three weeks to get me a new debit card, because they suck. I'm pretty sure the only reason they overnighted it at no charge and waived a year of fees was because they knew they hosed up. I'm still moving to a different bank (the one I previously used for over a decade) at the end of the month. gently caress em.

If they get your IDs too, it can vary wildly based on locality, but I've had my ID changed within a day in some places, and it's taken months in others.

Yeah switching banks seems like a good look if they have bad customer service. I agree though, this kind of thing just seems like a common enough nuisance that everyone goes through or will go through.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm more intrigues on the concept of "sharing" an account that your partner accesses and looks at every day

why not just keep seperate finances for your inevitable divorse, lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm more intrigues on the concept of "sharing" an account that your partner accesses and looks at every day

why not just keep seperate finances for your inevitable divorse, lol

Uhh, go gently caress yourself?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When I buy things online using my card I gotta do a thing on my phone to confirm the purchase. Unfortunately it seems to be entirely optional for sites to implement it, particularly foreign sites. Would be great if it was mandatory for all sales, but if you can get something like this then you can avoid using sites that don't support it. Even more unfortunately though they never state beforehand what's gonna happen when you push Buy. Sometimes they even say they stored your card number and everything in their definitely secure database that for sure won't get leaked any second now, "for your convenience". :thanks:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

my penis is at least the size of a brazil nut.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's also the same shape

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ever since Experian was hacked and literally every single person in the USA's SSN was leaked, ssns became completely useless in terms of security in my opinion.

I simply put a free, permanent lock on my SSN with all three credit bureaus. It's a pain in the rear end when you actually need to open up a line of credit but I'm in my 30s and don't see myself needing any new credit cards or home loans in the near future so it's pretty much a guaranteed way to never have my identity stolen.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It’s roughly 15+ years since my credit card last got done. The fraud team contacted me immediately because they refused to believe I would spend $3300 on an artisan bathtub.

..I mean, maybe I would have if it was a really nice one and I wasn’t, y’know, dirt poor at the time. But it would have to be one really fuckin’ charming bathtub.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im surprised the purchases in NL and IE werent flagged.

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
I can't say the last time I even seen a card, credit or otherwise. Here in Europe its all Apple Pay this or Google pay that. I hardly see cash anymore.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My identity has been stolen a few times. The first time was through a fake clothing website (i think, i ordered a shirt and never received it) and they spent a few hundred from my checking at a Panera bread and staples a few hours away. I never got it back, but I also didn't try that hard.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

danjal posted:

I can't say the last time I even seen a card, credit or otherwise. Here in Europe its all Apple Pay this or Google pay that. I hardly see cash anymore.

I use cash and see cash only stores all the time, but I live in a remote part of California where half the economy is still the illegal cannabis industry

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

when i was 14 someone tricked me into getting my SIN from me for a job and stole my identity and started a cel phone plan and 4 years later they tried to get me to pay the 5k he had wracked up and i was like lol no i dont think so and now the government has to contact me any time my SIN is used to make sure its me

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Obligatory gently caress equifax.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Poohs Packin posted:

Uhh, go gently caress yourself?

well with your pending divorce, I'm open for a relationship baby

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The first month i moved out of my parents house my account got wiped out so it was really cool panicking about rent literally days after moving out. My bank took care of it before rent was due though so it was all good but still made me suepr paranoid

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Sid Vicious posted:

when i was 14 someone tricked me into getting my SIN from me for a job and stole my identity and started a cel phone plan and 4 years later they tried to get me to pay the 5k he had wracked up and i was like lol no i dont think so and now the government has to contact me any time my SIN is used to make sure its me

I got hit with a number port-out-scam. They managed to call Verizon and change all of my verification details to almost lock me out permanently. Calling the phone support system would redirect you to their online system, which would require you to enter your number matched with the account.

The first time I called support, somehow I managed to get a rep immediately. She was completely unhelpful. Just sat in silence when I'd ask her any question and just repeated that I'd need to wait 30 before anything could be done. That obviously sounded fishy and after some Googling, I found that 30 days was actually the cut-off for someone being able to reclaim their number.

After finally figuring out a way to consistently hack my way through the call stack, without getting shitted out their online support link and hanging up on me, or being made to wait on hold forever only to get a recording then telling me that I need to call back during working hours, I finally managed to talk to a person who I managed to make a case to. That this was all totally absurd. I wasn't the first person this has happened to. They couldn't just give me that kind of bullshit excuse for an answer. They had prior records of my identity, and could verify against that. I managed to get my number back.

fcc compliant bob fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 17, 2021

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My social security card was stolen in Las Vegas. I haven’t had any problems though and it’s been 10 years so idk.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can't prove I'm not stealing my identity at this moment :smugbert:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Several years ago someone stole my wife’s debit card number. They spent $400 at the University of Colorado online bookstore and then bought dog food and a knock off Chinese cell phone, both of which actually got delivered to our house. That phone was some funny poo poo, it was aSamDung, not Samsung and it had icons on the screen when you powered it on but they didn’t do anything.

I still fail to understand the purpose of any of that.

Also, my company got ransomedwared last week. That’s a new experience.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm sorry that happened to you! Identify theft sucks rear end. To help take your mind off your recent troubles let's play a fun game where maybe we can also learn a little about each other!

What year were you born?

What street did you grow up on?

Who was your third grade teacher?

What was the name of your first pet?

Where did you meet your spouse?

Who is your favorite athlete?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I have neither a favorite athlete nor a pet, I'm unhackable!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
hut. hut hut. hut. hike

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

OnlyBans posted:

I'm sorry that happened to you! Identify theft sucks rear end. To help take your mind off your recent troubles let's play a fun game where maybe we can also learn a little about each other!

What year were you born?

What street did you grow up on?

Who was your third grade teacher?

What was the name of your first pet?

Where did you meet your spouse?

Who is your favorite athlete?

Chicago Blvd

Mrs. Redtree

Blue

MTG Tournament

Tanya Harding

Cool now you go.