Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That should have been "half the book" not "half the movie" but the point stands

Elsewhere, Netflix continues to be cool and good

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728337/netflix-fires-organizer-trans-employee-walkout-dave-chappelle

They sure are trying their best to handle this as bad as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There ain't gonna be a part 2 if y'all don't watch part 1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Looks like he's got big dreams of opening a distillery

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A reference to Red Dwarf in another thread reminded me of how weird the start of season 3 was where they ditched like all the previous plotlines and do a rapid Star Wars crawl to explain them away.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Lower Decks has turned out to be really good. Last episode of the season was really fun and I am continually surprised by all the deep cuts and visual references.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

A reference to Red Dwarf in another thread reminded me of how weird the start of season 3 was where they ditched like all the previous plotlines and do a rapid Star Wars crawl to explain them away.

Ah there was an actual reason for this I’m sure, I vaguely recall it coming up on that 3 part Dwarf doc from last year but memory sucks and I can’t remember what it was :(

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

with red dwarf probably one or more of the cast or production was in the tower for a Victorian crime

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was like there was an entire season's worth of stories that just happened off screen. Although I can understand wanting to just get the pregnancy stuff over with since it was a fun joke but would kind of mess with the basic make up of the show a little too much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

Lower Decks has turned out to be really good. Last episode of the season was really fun and I am continually surprised by all the deep cuts and visual references.

Very impressive show and much to look forward to when you realize that season 3 is the season in which star trek serieses traditionally get real good

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Very impressive show and much to look forward to when you realize that season 3 is the season in which star trek serieses traditionally get real good

this really only happened once, with TNG. it doesn't apply to any other star trek show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ds9

Ent? I wouldn’t say real good but better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FX has a show called Cake which is a grab bag of shorts. Like everything FX it is on Hulu but something that's kind of weird is that the individual segments are also broken out into their own listings so if you just wanted to watch Swan Boy you can.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
DS9 had the advantage in that its pilot episode is probably the strongest in all of Star Trek. It was a much better benchmark for what the series would be than either TNG or Voyager's.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm rewatching the old CSI Vegas seasons. I mean, it's a TV series and therefore added drama, but christ most of them are sure some judgmental fucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ending of season 3 of You owns. Instead of a gimmicky cliffhanger like last time we got an honest to god send-off to all the characters left behind.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

FX has a show called Cake which is a grab bag of shorts. Like everything FX it is on Hulu but something that's kind of weird is that the individual segments are also broken out into their own listings so if you just wanted to watch Swan Boy you can.

I'm a big fan of Cake because it tingles my GenX glandular memories of Liquid TV and Spike & Mike festivals. Only real bummer is that covid hit at some point with season 4 as they started to repeat shorts at the end of the season, and that trend continues in episode 1 of this season (plus the new stuff seemed much less funny).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For people who don't read the show thread Doom Patrol got renewed for season 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a really good home theater setup but Wonder Woman 1984 and Snyder Cut just didn’t hit the same as a theater. I would’ve watched Dune on HBO Mac but I was talking to a friend and now we have IMAX tickets for 10pm Thursday.

That’s the real draw of theaters these days imo, going out with friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

What is this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

What is this?

Potential plague vectors. An artifact of The Long Long Ago. The Before Times.

unless you live in a non-shithole country

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cojawfee posted:

What is this?

You know, friends. “How YOU doin?” “MISS Chanandler Bong”, “Could I BE wearing any more clothes?”

Friends.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Watching the Oats Studios shorts on Netflix and the first two shorts feel like they ended before the third act.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I binged Sharp Objects over a few days. Took me a while to get into it because a lot of the characters are crappy people. Ended up liking it by the last few episodes though.

I think my favourite part was how memories/thoughts/flashbacks were edited in. Mostly quick and unobtrusive, spliced into 'present day' scenes, and from my own perspective much more naturalistic. I've only seen memories shown like that in a few other things but it should be the standard approach.

I don't usually like Amy Adams and while I wasn't blown away by anything she did pretty good. Her character on the surface is SUPER EDGY but she made her feel pretty normal and nuanced.

prob. gonna watch You next.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't doxx me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Started watching "What We Do In the Shadows" and Goddamn Collin Robinson (Mark Proksch) is absolutely killing it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started watching "What We Do In the Shadows" and Goddamn Collin Robinson (Mark Proksch) is absolutely killing it.

He's by design a very one-note character but yes, Proksch consistently nails it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

He's by design a very one-note character but yes, Proksch consistently nails it

A one note character that does a loving lot with that one note. He is so good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Metropolis posted:

I binged Sharp Objects over a few days. Took me a while to get into it because a lot of the characters are crappy people. Ended up liking it by the last few episodes though.

I think my favourite part was how memories/thoughts/flashbacks were edited in. Mostly quick and unobtrusive, spliced into 'present day' scenes, and from my own perspective much more naturalistic. I've only seen memories shown like that in a few other things but it should be the standard approach.

I don't usually like Amy Adams and while I wasn't blown away by anything she did pretty good. Her character on the surface is SUPER EDGY but she made her feel pretty normal and nuanced.

prob. gonna watch You next.

Just to check... You stuck around thru the final episode's credits right? Cause there is a doozy in there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

A one note character that does a loving lot with that one note. He is so good.

I think the stuff they're trying to do with the energy vampire ~*lore this season is them scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as the character goes. But maybe that's by design.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Just to check... You stuck around thru the final episode's credits right? Cause there is a doozy in there.

Sharp Objects spoiler: Yup though I had to read about it elsewhere and go back to see it lol. I hope there is a youtube video of all the hints about the ending because I don't want to actually rewatch the show to see them. Generally I watch mysteries not to try to solve it but just enjoy the ride but I kinda was with this one. I knew there would be some kinda twist at the end but it took me quite a while to figure out, main thing that tipped me off was just that the show was still going even though the supposed killer was caught and the pool of potential remaining suspects was basically one. Thanks for the reminded though I wouldn't have wanted to miss that scene just because it explains a crucial detail. How the 'a girl couldn't pull somebody's teeth so it totally had to be a dude' thing is explained is that her rollerblading friends were in on it too which I would not have expected at all.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I watched the first three episodes of Dopesick, I wasn't familiar with the events that the show covers but is is super compelling so far.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm rewatching the old CSI Vegas seasons. I mean, it's a TV series and therefore added drama, but christ most of them are sure some judgmental fucks.

Absolutely, which always made me think it was doubly surprising how well the show treated Lady Heather (at least at first).

Nitrousoxide posted:

Be sure to watch some of his local news appearances as Kenny "K-Strass" Strasser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9VF7LyffU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even though I know it will be funny, I still can't watch those videos because of how cringe they are.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

In one of the first episodes Grissom calls people who committs suicide for cowards.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

I watched the first three episodes of Dopesick, I wasn't familiar with the events that the show covers but is is super compelling so far.

Have them done the awesome rap yet? I still use that to pump me up sometimes when I need to get some $$$ and am not feeling it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mark Proksch is also really great on just about everything. He's a total weirdo creep on Dream Corp LLC and is really funny as Dakota's dad on Ten Year Old Tom.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1449837989006356489?s=20

It wasn’t good so this isn’t surprising

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like it, but that’s too bad. It’s probably also very expensive. Huge cast, lots of extras and locations spanning within the show across the country. If the walking dead is estimated 3mill per episode I can only imagine Y was a big initial investment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh well. I was excited about it when it first went into production with all that talent attached, but then they left one by one. Then the previews looked too dour and reviews were middling at best, especially because I'm weary of any apocalypse stuff from pandemic fatigue. No big loss, especially with Creamerie around as a lighthearted replacement when I'm in that headspace. Would've been nice to see the ending pulled off in live action, though. Parts of the comic may not have aged well, but that ending is still great. The astronaut reveal could've been cool to see realized well, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Man, what a long journey just to fizzle out. Reminds me of my disappointment with how The Dark Tower franchise plan ended up.