Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Kirios posted:

An 88 win team having home field over a 106 win team win never stop being hilarious to me.

I agree. It's time to make the All-Star Game count again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
If the Dodgers wanted home field advantage they should have beaten the Giants more often and won their division. It's not complicated!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Probably they should’ve just not moved out of Brooklyn to start with.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:eyepop:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

same bud, same

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How fans of the other 26 teams feel about these matchups.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kiké

:discourse:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Brantley gets a hit in game 2 he ties the longest postseason hitting streak record with Jeter, Manny and Hank Bauer

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Yeah I didn't watch the postseason today and it felt good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If I'm being brutally honest I don't blame anyone who isn't a fan of these teams to avoid watching the rest of the postseason. It's four pretty unlikeable teams.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I ignored the first 5 innings, tuned in for the last 4, and regret it. Ah well. There's always next year.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
personally i like baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

on the other hand we have successfully gotten through another season without a yankees championship

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

edit: That they like some remix of the Calum Scott version is disappointing to me, I thought it was the Robyn version they liked

The Calum Scott cover being the one everyone knows now makes me crazy. Robyn’s version has such a strong feeling of being alone at a club in the middle of everyone having fun. I don’t hate Calum’s, but it misses a lot.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

thehoodie posted:

personally i like baseball

:mods:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

on the other hand we have successfully gotten through another season without a yankees championship

and successfully stopped St. Louis devil magic

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

After sleeping on that game, I feel like there were actually, well... a LOT of questionable in-game decisions made by Alex Cora over the course of the night. Which is pretty unusual, to be honest... Normally even when he makes moves I disagree with I can see where he's coming from, but there were a few moves tonight where I just did not get it.

Let's start from the top, I guess.

#1 - Choosing to start Sale over Eovaldi - this is understandable and I actually agree with it in principle, but the truth is that it was a fairly unexpected gamble that really turned out to not have paid off at all. Now it looks like wishful thinking on the part of Cora and Sox, rather than actual confidence that Sale had fixed whatever was wrong. He still barely threw his changeup and his fastball was all over the place, plus he was hanging sliders left and right. So *clearly* he did not figure out or fix whatever was wrong.

#2 - Not letting Ottavino pitch the fifth - Ottavino had looked fantastic in 1.1 innings, bailing Sale out in the 3rd inning and then throwing a 1-2-3 4th inning all on 16 total pitches. I definitely understand lifting him for Brasier there, but on a night like this when your starter is knocked out in the third inning and you have a slim lead, I think it's really important to ride the guys who look especially good on a given night (like Ottavino) because every time you go to the bullpen you're rolling the dice as to whether or not this next guy is also going to be handle this chunk of the Astros lineup. If you get a reliever who looks good and is effective, I really think you need to let them throw more than 16 pitches in a game like this.

#3 - Pinch-hitting Danny Santana for Hunter Renfroe late in the game - This is a real head-scratcher to me. As far as I'm concerned, Cora should NEVER be pinch-hitting Danny Santana for ANYONE in the lineup, since each and every other guy on the team has proven that they're a better hitter than him. "Matchups" is not an acceptable answer here, and that's the one Cora gave - that he felt like Santana had a better shot of hitting against Graveman there, because he was so dominant against righties and Renfroe has historically struggled against pitchers like that. And Santana DID put together a decent AB working the count to 3-2 before predictably making an out. But IMO it's just not worth it to take out your #6 hitter in a close game like that which could go extras. Frankly, I was expecting to ONLY see Santana used as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement, and I'm concerned that the guy who hit .181 with a .597 OPS is getting offensive opportunities in late/close situations in this series.

#4 - Pitching Sawamura in the 8th - This was another questionable one. Sawamura had pitched ONCE over the last 22 days (against the Nats) and it seems almost cruel to just toss him into a 1-run-game on the road in the 8th inning of the ALCS, even if it was against the bottom of the order. Just didn't seem like Cora managed the pen well at all in this game if he had to turn to Sawamura there, and I really think that was the case here. The only guys left in the pen were Darwinzon, Whitlock, and Sawamura - Whitlock was obviously being saved for a tie or a lead since we were on the road, and Darwinzon is in the same place as Sawamura in terms of pitching once in the last three weeks, but he's not as good a pitcher. So I get why he did it, but I feel like if he had managed the use of the other five pitchers he'd used out of the pen better he wouldn't have been in that situation.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kirios posted:

If I'm being brutally honest I don't blame anyone who isn't a fan of these teams to avoid watching the rest of the postseason. It's four pretty unlikeable teams.

what's unlikable about a scrappy group of young upstarts, the real America's Team since the mid 80s, the Atlanta Braves? (honest question)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Tatsuta Age posted:

what's unlikable about a scrappy group of young upstarts, the real America's Team since the mid 80s, the Atlanta Braves? (honest question)

All the racism is pretty off putting imho

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are opening with Knebel again tonight, but this is likely a more typical bullpen game and they’ll start Scherzer tomorrow.

Presumably Gonsolin will get a couple innings tonight too

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Dodgers are opening with Knebel again tonight, but this is likely a more typical bullpen game and they’ll start Scherzer tomorrow.

Presumably Gonsolin will get a couple innings tonight too

I know Dodgers are heavily favored and all but if they win Game 1 it's pretty much over for the Braves.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Chop and HOTLANTA MAN's posts. The team on the field is extremely cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

The way they took advantage of Albies and Acuna

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

That they white-flighted from a nice downtown ballpark that was just 20 years old

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anytime I watch a Braves home game and the chop starts it's just so embarrassing to see a stadium full of mostly white people having zero self awareness or just not caring.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

:perfect:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm guessing every neutral fan's problem with the remaining teams is:

B - Front office and manager
LA - Front office and Bauer
A - Fanbase
H - On-field players

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

A - Fanbase
H - On-field players

Do forget the braves ran crying from a perfectly good stadium because there are terrified of black people.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s not that complicated, the remaining 4 teams feature 3 of the last 4 WS winners plus a direct rematch in the NLCS. If you’re not a fan of any of those teams then that’s not particularly compelling.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

none of the teams have Frank Schwindel is another issue.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

A - Fanbase
H - On-field players

B - Rafael Devers looks like he plays with a literal wad of poo poo in his mouth. Wretched city.
LA - Relentless overexposure and favoritism. Insane, galaxy-sized ego. Yankees/Patriots of the West Coast.
A - Boring team. Still doing the stupid "chop".
H - Arrogant cheaters. Houston.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How dare Dodgers fans be high on their team in the midst of the most successful run of seasons in their 130 year franchise history

lmao at deciding “fanbase ego” is a top reason to hate on a team that produced crimes.xls, signed Trevor Bauer, and has won more games than anyone the past 5 years

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

I have never, not once, claimed to be a rational man

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

How dare Dodgers fans be high on their team in the midst of the most successful run of seasons in their 130 year franchise history

lmao at deciding “fanbase ego” is a top reason to hate on a team that produced crimes.xls, signed Trevor Bauer, and has won more games than anyone the past 5 years

Huh, I assumed it was Houston based upon recent success. How close are they?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kirios posted:

Huh, I assumed it was Houston based upon recent success. How close are they?

Finishing below .500 last year certainly didn't help. But even if we won the same number of games as LA that year we'd be two behind.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

I don't have anything against the players but the stupid racist chant is intolerable.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah a bunch of white flight suburbanites doing an extremely racist chant while being unaware of how bad the optics look is peak Braves fandom. I almost want the Dodgers to win because of it despite them being a horrible matchup for the Astros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I like how 2/3 points get ignored in favour of a rant