Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

No DC I don't want an nft please gently caress off with this poo poo

Nft are those ridiculous poo poo were there is a code or something on it saying you own it even though anyone can share it and post it wherever?

bad snipe: have this:

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

This Superman and the Authority thing is so loving weird! Like it started off clearly, openly an Elseworlds story -- it starts in 1963! Superman is talking with John loving Kennedy! -- but now it's supposed to lead straight into the next main universe Superman arc, Lois is suddenly here looking completely her current age, except Superman still looks old what with his greying temples and Kingdom Come logo.......what is happening here???? I haven't been this confused about continuity since...I can't even remember!

it's pretty obvious that it was originally written and conceived as a 5G book (though for what it's worth, the leaked 5G timeline didn't have Superman debuting until 1965, but it probably went through quite a few iterations). as to why it was published with seemingly minimal alterations, at least to the first issue, that probably comes down to Morrison's clout within DC

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

No DC I don't want an nft please gently caress off with this poo poo

What is even the point of giving them away? Like the only point of these things is a scam to make money by selling them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Lois was a brainiac at first because she was green in the first few panels of her appearance, made sense to me in a "she'd be part brainiac to live as long as Clark."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

What is even the point of giving them away?

The first hit's free, everyone knows that. Same reason for Free Comic Book Day and free #1s in comic apps.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chip writing a Batman origin story in Batman: The Knight, and Tini Howard is taking over Catwoman.

Also, Mark Waid is supposedly doing a Batman and Superman back up in Detective Comics with Bryan Hitch?

Don’t know what’s going on, but I’ve been getting pulled back into the Bat books because of stuff like this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think Waid is confirmed for a World's Finest book

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I fell off of Superman just because of the pandemic limiting my spending but I like Jon Kent and the fact he's coming out is cool and good. Obviously gonna pick that up because I'm an easy mark for queer superheroes.

Quick question, the last Superman books I read were the Rebirth runs of Superman and Super Sons. Should I just dive into Son of Kal-El or is there anything good featuring Jon worth picking up before grabbing that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
He was in Bendis' Legion of Superheroes so depending on how much you like the Legion and/or Bendis you may enjoy that.

The only thing you really need to know from it is if you were reading Action Comics or Superman there was a whole B-plot for a bit where Jon was dealing with knowing that history says that soon Kal-El would be leaving Earth and would never be seen again.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 15, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like John but I kind of don’t like how desperate they are to age him up

The kid dynamic was fun

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like John but I kind of don’t like how desperate they are to age him up

The kid dynamic was fun

This is correct!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They were wrong to age him up, but making him bi was correct.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xelkelvos posted:

They were wrong to age him up, but making him bi was correct.

They can do one! They don’t have to do both!

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Meh they aged up Bart Allen and Superby Prime in the 00s and then reverted them back.

If sales slow they will probably do same with Jon.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/screenrant/status/1449039019115941889

Gotta love the powerlessness of it.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2021

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The people of DC Earth are aware of the multiverse and Earth just joined the United Planets.

There are in fact planets B through ZZ in their context.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

There's no planet B, but there is an Earth 2...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This reads just like when a writer decides to do a "there is no such thing as the Afterlife. We should just be good to everyone right now :smuggo: " and puts it into a universe where the gods are very real and show up on the regular.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Man who could probably instantly solve global warming sits in powerless crowd of nobodies with a sign" is a good look. Between this and dating a hacktivist I'm beginning to think Superman might be a bigger rear end in a top hat than the one who made Jimmy Olsen marry a gorilla or whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Question IRL posted:

This reads just like when a writer decides to do a "there is no such thing as the Afterlife. We should just be good to everyone right now :smuggo: " and puts it into a universe where the gods are very real and show up on the regular.
The analogy is not difficult to extend, but you do actually have to extend it a smidge.

You also have the issue in the DC universe that direct monkeywrenching would be easy. You even have Black Adam, who absolutely would go smash up every coal power plant on Earth if he felt like it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Nessus posted:

The analogy is not difficult to extend, but you do actually have to extend it a smidge.

You also have the issue in the DC universe that direct monkeywrenching would be easy. You even have Black Adam, who absolutely would go smash up every coal power plant on Earth if he felt like it.

Aquaman and the Flash could probably clean up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in less than a day and Superman could then just chuck it all into the sun.

There is something about Superman, even if he’s not Clark Kent, deciding that card board signs and student walkouts are the right track to take that’s almost ideological.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 16, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Next up the heroes of the DCU come together to sing Imagine.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

Aquaman and the Flash could probably clean up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in less than a day and Superman could then just chuck it all into the sun.

There is something about Superman, even if he’s not Clark Kent, deciding that card board signs and student walkouts are the right track to take that’s almost ideological.
"I can't use my powers to make the world a better place! They are clearly only for making sure it stays the SAME place. All deviations from the norm are to be avoided forever, preserving it like a tiny perfect city in a bottle, forever threatened and forever saved."

At least when Swamp Thing touched on this with Alan Moore he decided not to help by considering the benefits and concluding 'well, if I fix their messes they'll just triple down on making them even bigger.' That alone is a step farther than Superman dares consider the problem, lest he start reflexively forming dictatorships and lasereyeing people to death.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think you all are overthinking this

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
As anticipated, the current Black Manta and Jackson Hyde minis are apparently leading into a new (ongoing?) series:

https://twitter.com/AquamanUniverse/status/1449184174397661185?t=1KYfzjvxGjwZ08kogs9qCw&s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think you all are overthinking this

I mean almost definitely, the question of "why doesn't [x superhero] fix [problem with the world] with their [powers/vast wealth/super science]?" is done to death and we all know the answer is because then the world wouldn't resemble ours. But those are almost always hypothetical questions that only fans talk about.

When the comic (or the press release in this case) directly brings up that Superman's gonna fight climate change, by necessity it invites the question "why hasn't Superman been doing that for years?" And for a character like Superman* there is no good answer.

*even if you want to say I guess Clark Kent's an rear end in a top hat and Jon Kent is a new kind of Superman, Jon Kent isn't a brand new character who just appeared, he's been living on the planet, it's not like he just learned about climate change. poo poo, he's been to the future, if anything he should know more about climate change than anyone on Earth.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 16, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I mean almost definitely, the question of "why doesn't [x superhero] fix [problem with the world] with their [powers/vast wealth/super science]?" is done to death and we all know the answer is because then the world wouldn't resemble ours. But those are almost always hypothetical questions that fans talk about.

And often when they answer the question - like Wakanda having the cure for cancer but not sharing it with anyone else - it's never a really good look.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Gonna be hilarious when it turns out Lex Luthor is responsible for all climate change in the DCU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TwoPair posted:

I mean almost definitely, the question of "why doesn't [x superhero] fix [problem with the world] with their [powers/vast wealth/super science]?" is done to death and we all know the answer is because then the world wouldn't resemble ours. But those are almost always hypothetical questions that only fans talk about.

When the comic (or the press release in this case) directly brings up that Superman's gonna fight climate change, by necessity it invites the question "why hasn't Superman been doing that for years?" And for a character like Superman* there is no good answer.

*even if you want to say I guess Clark Kent's an rear end in a top hat and Jon Kent is a new kind of Superman, Jon Kent isn't a brand new character who just appeared, he's been living on the planet, it's not like he just learned about climate change. poo poo, he's been to the future, if anything he should know more about climate change than anyone on Earth.
I think the sliding timescale idea in Marvel could handle this easily - a robust cure for cancer, or for many cancers, and Tony Stark's Patented Wonder-Sauce Clean Nuclear Reactor (Just Add Palladium) would change the trajectory but would not end the problem, and you can still have dramatic challenges arise from these. However, these flaws are rooted heavily in the fact that these are ongoing serial narratives dating back decades.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1449471698089115648

Any WW event triggers my fight or flight response thanks to memories of Amazons Attack, but from the articles this might have a more "space Wakanda" vibe. Looking forward either way; I've always said...to myself, privately...that DC should take more advantage of the Amazons concept for big diverse casts of characters.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Madkal posted:

Gonna be hilarious when it turns out Lex Luthor is responsible for all climate change in the DCU

I mean, yeah, if superman starts loving with climate change one of two things will happen:
Either Lex Luthor will fix the climate, then privatize the climate with a dead man's switch that will revert it if he dies or is sacked to spite superman.
OR
Lex Luthor would ruin the climate forever to spite superman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

It was due to him stealing 40 cakes

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1449471698089115648

Any WW event triggers my fight or flight response thanks to memories of Amazons Attack, but from the articles this might have a more "space Wakanda" vibe. Looking forward either way; I've always said...to myself, privately...that DC should take more advantage of the Amazons concept for big diverse casts of characters.

Amazons Attack! was my first thought as well. Hoping for the best, though!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In vaguely non-related WW news, I hope everyone is as excited for Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons to come out next month as I am, as I have it under good authority that this book is going to change my loving life

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Never has a comic term struck fear into my heart more than "The Aquaverse" has. Please don't let that be a thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

X-O posted:

Never has a comic term struck fear into my heart more than "The Aquaverse" has. Please don't let that be a thing.

Qwsp is the Joker we all deserve

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Pretty sure that's just a fan run twitter that compiles every last bit of Aquaman news.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Come on Artie, let's go party.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

Eh, every other JL member gets to do high concept space multiverse stuff. Why not let Aquaman do some -verse stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They've already done some dabbling into the Many Oceans thing which started in Death Metal iirc and idk, It seems a bit too out there in concept and what they've shown of it so far was not all that compelling really. It feel like a weird mashup of The Green/Red/Rot and more general multiversal stuff. I'd rather they go more mythological like WW has been dabbling in and that one arc where Arthur lost his memories. Tie it back closer to Magic rather than Cosmic stuff.