Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The biggest bummer in BF4 right now is the attachment unlocks through battle packs. I'm level 41 and only have the Kobra scope for the AEK-971. Very annoying how the RNG can screw you. Hopefully 2042 will go the COD route (scandalous I know) and just stick to account level and maybe weapon or weapon category level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ZeusCannon posted:

The AA mines in BF4 were useless 90% of the time and very funny the rest of the 10%.
They went back and forth in usefulness due to aggressive nerfing, generally they were most useful for making the pilots use their flares first then you could IGLA them, but the severe range nerf really hurt.

Still fun for creating fortress rooftops with squadmates when you all go airmines and IGLA plus one support with ammo and MAPS.

DrBox posted:

The biggest bummer in BF4 right now is the attachment unlocks through battle packs.
Yeah the big thing is EA no longer running double XP weekends so you can't double them up with some boosts for 400% XP (and thus a decent rate of progression).

I still have not unlocked all the BF2 or 2142 guns after all these years.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You guys are probably grossly underestimating the things you can do with low skill in 2042 if you’re opinions are based on the beta alone. For example, a glaring omission from the beta is smoke grenades. Clearly they will exist, the tanks have the functionality, and they’ve been in prior games. That will let you get off some cheeky revives.

We’ve only seen 2 out of probably 8 grenade types. We’ve only seen very few of the vehicles, and like half of the gadgets, plus what is hopefully the worst map.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrBox posted:

The biggest bummer in BF4 right now is the attachment unlocks through battle packs. I'm level 41 and only have the Kobra scope for the AEK-971. Very annoying how the RNG can screw you. Hopefully 2042 will go the COD route (scandalous I know) and just stick to account level and maybe weapon or weapon category level.

The attachments for the faction the weapon “belongs” to and the first set of attachments unlock through kills. The battle pack attachments do the same thing as the ones kill unlocks but it is slightly annoying when it comes to sights and scopes because the Chinese ones are just better.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

We’ve only seen 2 out of probably 8 grenade types. We’ve only seen very few of the vehicles, and like half of the gadgets, plus what is hopefully the worst map.

According to dice they picked this map because of how much work was put into it and how proud they were of it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sedisp posted:

According to dice they picked this map because of how much work was put into it and how proud they were of it.

How would you rate it against Hamada?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

How would you rate it against Hamada?

That's like rating matter against anti matter

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

VulgarandStupid posted:

You guys are probably grossly underestimating the things you can do with low skill in 2042 if you’re opinions are based on the beta alone. For example, a glaring omission from the beta is smoke grenades. Clearly they will exist, the tanks have the functionality, and they’ve been in prior games. That will let you get off some cheeky revives.

Not saying you're wrong but when has that ever stopped DICE?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DICE will include smoke grenades and said smoke grenades will suddenly do nothing at ranges greater than 50m

If enough players use smoke grenades the server will crash

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Not saying you're wrong but when has that ever stopped DICE?

fwiw i did see bots in the beta using both smoke grenades and incendiary grenades so those will almost certainly be in the game

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Same though I'm sure it would be a mess that turns away people who have barely flown even if they knew the controls; new pilots would get stomped by statistically better handling, higher flight ceiling, or more damage and then just never touch the mode again.

Battle of Britain was my favourite map in 1942 and it had fun ground gameplay too, it wasn’t a strict Air Superiority map like in BF 3/4/1 where players just circled flags which I never really enjoyed.

Battlefield badly needs more unique asymmetric objective-based maps like BoB that don’t just funnel players into 2 objectives per sector. The setup of BoB had Axis forces taking off from one side of the English Channel, while Allied forces defended a factory and 4 radar towers from bombing with AA guns, planes and halftracks/jeeps on the other side:

Coral Sea is another favourite map DICE could learn from; the 1943 version was miserable though, they removed the carrier bombing objective (???), 2-seater planes, island defguns, sneaking aboard the enemy carrier then on top of that there was a new 10-second death timer out of aircraft. It was so bad.

psyman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 16, 2021

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Was looking through my liked videos on youtube and found this and had a laugh: https://youtu.be/PwzF2AO2v-c

Didn’t someone here make it?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there was like a 4 month period where the only video game i played was a bf1942 24/7 coral sea server

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

On the first day when servers weren't full all the time, I got killed by a bot that tossed an incendiary grenade on me. I deleted my beta install so I don't have the files to look around but if you still have it on your drive, I think it was My Documents/BF2042 some cache folder had all the equipment from the beta in there, including EMP grenades.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
When I finally got a tank, some rear end in a top hat kept following me around with one of those drones that did the EMP attack thing . I couldn't see poo poo, it was so annoying

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Still itll be nice to having homing ground based AA again to gently caress skygod days up.

I dunno, once you got good with the fliegerfaust, IE the explosive skyshotgun, pilots that over extended were easily dealt with

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zzulu posted:

When I finally got a tank, some rear end in a top hat kept following me around with one of those drones that did the EMP attack thing . I couldn't see poo poo, it was so annoying

Lol. The emp drone was surprisingly useful and could lock down an afv pretty well. Managed to lock down an AA vehicle while a couple engineers slowly plinked away at it.

The drone was pretty fun and I liked spotting for my team, especially around the D flags, seemed helpful around the tunnel entrances. The drones are pretty easy to shoot down though. I only ever shot down a couple drones that were either just super low, or being shot at by robodog since they're kinda small and not easy to spot. I suspect once the game comes out people will start to gravitate towards roles of sorts and there will be some more effort to shoot down the drones.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The drone was good, it just needed a return to player button

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Drones are good in this. I had way too much fun taking out tanks with them. They need to fix spotting, and once they do drones are going to be everywhere.

Also, if you fly the drone to 250m away, it will start to lose signal. If you keep flying to somewhere between 270-300, the drone will explode. But! If you leave the drone in the air, it will hover indefinitely until you move farther away. So you can constantly move up and see whats ahead of you, or leave it up above to peek at quickly to see how a fire fight is going. Once spotting works, these things will be absolutely indispensable in Hazard Zone.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ethanol posted:

there was like a 4 month period where the only video game i played was a bf1942 24/7 coral sea server

Same but Lost Village in Desert Combat for me.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

psyman posted:

Battle of Britain was my favourite map in 1942 and it had fun ground gameplay too, it wasn’t a strict Air Superiority map like in BF 3/4/1 where players just circled flags which I never really enjoyed.

Battlefield badly needs more unique asymmetric objective-based maps like BoB that don’t just funnel players into 2 objectives per sector. The setup of BoB had Axis forces taking off from one side of the English Channel, while Allied forces defended a factory and 4 radar towers from bombing with AA guns, planes and halftracks/jeeps on the other side:

Coral Sea is another favourite map DICE could learn from; the 1943 version was miserable though, they removed the carrier bombing objective (???), 2-seater planes, island defguns, sneaking aboard the enemy carrier then on top of that there was a new 10-second death timer out of aircraft. It was so bad.

Yes, the thing I loved about 1942 was a bold map design where they gleefully messed with ideas like "what if it's a carrier group vs. a carrier group" or "what if it's an air assault," and you'd see it echo through fan made maps. They seem to have lost the will to create maps like that. I wonder why, "blow this thing up" could be a more spectacular objective as destruction came into the picture.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Yes, the thing I loved about 1942 was a bold map design where they gleefully messed with ideas like "what if it's a carrier group vs. a carrier group" or "what if it's an air assault," and you'd see it echo through fan made maps. They seem to have lost the will to create maps like that. I wonder why, "blow this thing up" could be a more spectacular objective as destruction came into the picture.

Part of it is the changing of the development team overtime but a large part of it (coupled with people leaving) is that Frostbite is a mess to develop on and doesn't really allow for game modes like that.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
It is pretty crazy that the core group of Battlefield goons have been playing together in some way shape or form for over a decade now. It's a great little community.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ethanol posted:

Yep me too. Hard to beat it

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

toggle posted:

Yep me too. Hard to beat it

There was no point in playing other games when perfection was right there

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Duck_King posted:

It is pretty crazy that the core group of Battlefield goons have been playing together in some way shape or form for over a decade now. It's a great little community.

Part of me misses getting drunk and playing BC2 to the dulcet tones of Fist of Allah ranting about social anarchism

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

i miss the log blog

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Eastbound Spider posted:

i miss the log blog

Rip

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Giving all these posts a Hooah

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Hot Diggity! posted:

Giving all these posts a Hooah

IM GIVING IT ALL THE HOOAH I CAN - I CAN'T HOOAH ANY HARDER!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do recall downloading and installing an auto hooah browser plug-in

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm actually bummed to see that the big stat tracking thing is gone. I was the best stealth jet pilot in the county.

Would've been the state if I didn't have one of the biggest cities in the world as part of my state, which tips the odds a bit

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I do recall downloading and installing an auto hooah browser plug-in

:hooah:

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
tell me how this game wont kill the franchise

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The stench of John Riccitiello and his taint on the BF franchise/frostbite engine will outlast you, the game will live on through the goodwill of bf1942/2/2142/bfbc2 players for another decade, rendering the franchise virile

Cheers, please cut off your balls

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If BFV can somehow have a healthy playerbase still, then this game will probably live forever

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
there are no good alternatives. don't say squad/HLL

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
oh dang, I thought the full release was this month's 19th, not November's.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's because it was iirc. Then they delayed it to November about a month ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the lesson is that a Battlefield style game is a lot harder to make than we would think, see WW3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCTE6CeNyNE

"It's too late"