Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah i never got the impression that nate is being hyped by anyone as the biggest soccer genius in the world or anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure there will be some sort of scene where Rupert brags about snatching up Nate and then it hopefully backfires when Nate isn't actually all that great of a coach. I'm guessing Nate starts out ok, then eventually gets in over his head, the team starts sucking, Rupert hires an actual coach who belittles Nate, then Nate realizes what he's lost and attempts to redeem himself by helping out Richmond at the end of the season or something dumb like that.

I'm sure Nate is great when it comes to strategy but he obviously lacks any sort of interpersonal skills. He's not too far removed from the guy who couldnt get a table for his parents at a restaurant. I'm going to bet he decides to run his team like its the military to be completely opposite of how Ted does it. Which might work if the team was some low level or some high school team but its not going to fly at that kind of level and he lacks the personality to make it even slightly work. You cant go into the bathroom and spit at the mirror every time a player has an issue with how you're doing things. There will probably be a player revolt at some point mid season which results in Nate getting sacked.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 13, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah i never got the impression that nate is being hyped by anyone as the biggest soccer genius in the world or anything like that

Honestly can't tell if it's meant to be "keep it simple for people who don't care about soccer but he's actually pretty insightful" or "keep it simple because he's really only a couple rungs up from Ted on the soccer tech tree", and I flip back and forth depending on the episode.

Like when Nate speaks up, is Beard thinking "drat, I wouldn’t have come up with that" or is Beard thinking "yeah I read that book too".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

pokeyman posted:

Honestly can't tell if it's meant to be "keep it simple for people who don't care about soccer but he's actually pretty insightful" or "keep it simple because he's really only a couple rungs up from Ted on the soccer tech tree", and I flip back and forth depending on the episode.

Like when Nate speaks up, is Beard thinking "drat, I wouldn’t have come up with that" or is Beard thinking "yeah I read that book too".

Yeah, like I don’t know about a false nine, but parking the bus is a pretty standard thing to protect a tie or a lead late in the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pokeyman posted:

Honestly can't tell if it's meant to be "keep it simple for people who don't care about soccer"

I suspect it's this, just tossing in some football jargon so it sounds good. The "False 9" isn't exactly a tactic that a team switches to, it's just an alteration to how a center forward plays- namely they hang out farther back to pick up passes before rushing forward. Messi played as a false 9 for a while.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

I'm sure Nate is great when it comes to strategy but he obviously lacks any sort of interpersonal skills. He's not too far removed from the guy who couldnt get a table for his parents at a restaurant.

On that note, was I the only one bothered by that entire plotline? I thought it would be some kind of spiel about how sometimes you're simply not in control but instead it turns out that the employee really was being a dick for no reason and the audience gets some validation that being a dick to service staff is the right thing to do and will get you respect from your peers.

It fits into Nate being a built up as an insecure dick, but the episode doesn't frame it as anything wrong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

On that note, was I the only one bothered by that entire plotline? I thought it would be some kind of spiel about how sometimes you're simply not in control but instead it turns out that the employee really was being a dick for no reason and the audience gets some validation that being a dick to service staff is the right thing to do and will get you respect from your peers.

It fits into Nate being a built up as an insecure dick, but the episode doesn't frame it as anything wrong.

There was another subplot this season that involved rude staff, wasn't there? I feel like that happened.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DurosKlav posted:

I'm sure Nate is great when it comes to strategy but he obviously lacks any sort of interpersonal skills. He's not too far removed from the guy who couldnt get a table for his parents at a restaurant. I'm going to bet he decides to run his team like its the military to be completely opposite of how Ted does it. Which might work if the team was some low level or some high school team but its not going to fly at that kind of level and he lacks the personality to make it even slightly work. You cant go into the bathroom and spit at the mirror every time a player has an issue with how you're doing things. There will probably be a player revolt at some point mid season which results in Nate getting sacked.

I think its like when a really good college coach goes to the NFL. In college you can basically be a dictator with the players but in the NFL there is a CBA which prevents that, players actually have rights and dont have to do poo poo like running laps if they are late or something. You see it a lot with even the best college coaches like Saban, Spurrier, and even real time right now with Urban Meyer. Ted earns the respect of the players. I am reminded of the very first episode and his interaction with Roy and afterwards "you think he's pissed now, just wait until we win him over" or something along those lines. Nate won't try to win players over, he is just going to try and be the dictator coach which at the professional level is always a failure.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
In football terms, Felix Magath https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/felix-magath-something-give-english-football-fulham is probably the most recent 'make them run up sand dunes, dictatorship breeds a good footballer' types to manage in the Premier League.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was another subplot this season that involved rude staff, wasn't there? I feel like that happened.

No idea what you're thinking of haha.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1448355499494322176?s=21

I wish this was a spinoff for Dr. Sharon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm enjoying Ted so far (not finished season 2 yet) but they definitely need a couple more script consultants to point out lines that sound wrong coming out of a Londoner's mouth.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Enjoying Acapulco so far. Love the setting.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Tangential to Ted Lasso talk, but people all over were very excited to see Sam Richardson and I'm trying to figure out what the hype is I've missed? He was great in that final scene, and I vaguely remember him as the Little Buff Boys guy, but what's he done that has people so excited to see him?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Someone didn't see movie of the year Tomorrow War.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Holy poo poo For All Mankind is amazing and goes from strength to strength.
I'm really sad it's on a service that nobody (at least here in the UK) has, or often has even heard of! It feels loving WASTED there.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Tangential to Ted Lasso talk, but people all over were very excited to see Sam Richardson and I'm trying to figure out what the hype is I've missed? He was great in that final scene, and I vaguely remember him as the Little Buff Boys guy, but what's he done that has people so excited to see him?

Low key best character on Veep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also Detroiters

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He is a funny character actor so people will always be happy when people like that pop up.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

VagueRant posted:

Detroiters

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm really sad it's on a service that nobody (at least here in the UK) has, or often has even heard of! It feels loving WASTED there.

That show on a bigger streaming service would have done so much better. Loved both seasons and look forward to future ones.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Taear posted:

I thought so too until they turned Karen into a sociopath in season 2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paddyo posted:

The last few episodes of season 2 were easily my favorite television episodes of the year. The big plots at the end got so crazy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Paddyo posted:

What do you think a sociopath is

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Huh, I did not recognize him at all. It's Splett!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

One thing I thought about is that after Nate complains that Ted would throw him under the bus if their strategy didn't work (which isn't true), I was imagining that during the press conference that Ted would have given him the credit for it. I'm surprised they didn't do that, because it also would have been a natural way to tie into Nate getting the coaching position at West Ham

I just assumed all of that happened offscreen pretty much exactly as described here.

They alluded to other off-screen stuff, like Crimm apparently told other people Nate was the source too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

They alluded to other off-screen stuff, like Crimm apparently told other people Nate was the source too.

He did? I don't remember that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pokeyman posted:

He did? I don't remember that.

He said that he wasn't fired because Ted blabbed, so probably Trent told his editor he told Ted and then got fired.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

swickles posted:

He said that he wasn't fired because Ted blabbed, so probably Trent told his editor he told Ted and then got fired.

Yeah Crimm is absolutely the kind of principled guy who immediately admitted to his superiors that he leaked the source. Really interested to see what they do with his character next year, it will likely just be a "here's what I ended up doing" update mid or late season but it would be cool if it was more, I like his interactions with Ted (I mean, just like I like everyone's interactions with Ted)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's weird to think of Trent as being principled, since he's played by James Lance. Man's made an entire career out of playing sleezeballs, psychopaths, and weird, needy men.

He's great, obviously.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Crimm is absolutely the kind of principled guy who immediately admitted to his superiors that he leaked the source. Really interested to see what they do with his character next year, it will likely just be a "here's what I ended up doing" update mid or late season but it would be cool if it was more, I like his interactions with Ted (I mean, just like I like everyone's interactions with Ted)

I wonder if Trent Crimm will replace Keeley as PR person for Richmond. Journalists and PR flacks share a similar skillset, and he already likes and respects Ted.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think he starts a Youtube channel.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

podcast or blogger surely, probably both

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

He def runs an anti-Nate agenda

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

swickles posted:

Yeah he told Ted he turned himself in. Maybe I misread the op, thought they were saying Trent was spreading it far and wide.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Yeah he told Ted he turned himself in. Maybe I misread the op, thought they were saying Trent was spreading it far and wide.

Rereading it maybe OP thought that Beard heard it from elsewhere, but it's obvious from context that Beard just worked that poo poo out on his own (then immediately started staring down Nate, which loving owned)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Rereading it maybe OP thought that Beard heard it from elsewhere, but it's obvious from context that Beard just worked that poo poo out on his own (then immediately started staring down Nate, which loving owned)

I dunno, a lot of this is on Beard tbh. He really didn't handle Nate very well earlier in the season.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, a lot of this is on Beard tbh. He really didn't handle Nate very well earlier in the season.

That's a good point, I wonder if more exploration of that angle would be interesting. At one point doesn't Ted directly ask "is [a Nate issue, I forget which] something I need to worry about?" and Beard shakes his head? At the time I took it as Beard thinking "Nate's a good guy, he'll sort himself out" but he totally blew that call.

Or maybe it was inevitable and Beard's just being efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been very poorly so took time to watch all of season 2 of Ted Lasso while recuperating and I thought it was ace. It was not content to be more of season 1 and did some interesting and different pathways.

The whole show, both season 1 and 2, is about Fathers and Nuture. That is why Nate's story has been so interesting. Showing how his Dad responds to him gives us all the context for why he did what he did. He never got respect from his Dad, he got it from Ted and it was intoxicating. Ted did not realise Nate was so broken due to the bullying by others and rejection of his own father. That kind of dependency can go toxic very quickly as we saw. (The spitting is disgusting but I get what it symbolises to him.) The sign though :(

The therapy angle was amazing and Dr. Sharon was a great addition. Everyone felt lik they had evolved and grown rather than been written as caricatures. The christmas episode was a bit weirdly placed, but I loved the Coach Beard Alone episode. I actually thought it was all a drunken dream at one point because of the moon on the side of the building when he was talking to the Lady in Red.

James Tartt continues to be awful and seeing Jamie reject his dad and follow his surrogate dad in Ted and be better is excellent and slow enough that it is believable.

Sam's relationship with his Dad is heartwarming and I especially like how Roy is basically a dad to Phoebe. (And he nails that role).

There is so much that is clicking about the importance of a fatherly role model - Roy and Isaac, Elliot and his four boys, Rebecca and her Father, Rupert and his new role as a dad. The whole nuture/nature dichotomy is in full flow this season.

Also Trent Crimm, Independant rocks. :)

My favourite scene in the first season was the dart contest. I rewatched it after finishing season 2. It now has even more of an impact with Ted talking about his Dad this season - which were incredible moments. He did not become overbearing and he still had moments (Even if Led Tasso was a bit odd) of darkness. The therapy stuff really spoke to me as someone who has undergone it as well.

Ted Lasso is easily one of my favourite TV show characters of all time and I am so there on launch day of season 3. :hai: