Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Made a few changes including a 3rd monitor for auxiliary stuff which involved one monitor swap and hacking together a mounting solution.

"When Mae got back to her desk, a new screen, her fifth, had been set up just to the right of her newbie-question screen. She had a few minutes before one o’clock, so she tested the system. The first bell rang, and she nodded. A woman’s voice, sounding like a newscaster’s, asked her, 'For vacations, are you inclined toward one of relaxation, like a beach or luxury hotel, or are you inclined toward adventure, like a white-water rafting trip?'"

It’s a crap book, but it’s all I can think of whenever I see this office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Granite Octopus posted:

Receiver: Denon RCD-M41DAB
I wanted a little mini receiver with DAB + CD that didn't look hideous or come with crap speakers. Yamaha have some nice retro-looking models but they're sold out everywhere, so this was the runner-up. Works really well. My only complaint is the CD transport is a bit noisy.

I really like the idea of this, and would love to have a mini CD player/receiver on my desk that isn't just a USB drive for a PC. I don't want to pay Denon prices. Are there any units that occupy the middle between this Denon and a $50 Magnavox? The key attraction is the super-compact footprint, otherwise I'd just get a $30 Blu Ray player.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

I really like the idea of this, and would love to have a mini CD player/receiver on my desk that isn't just a USB drive for a PC. I don't want to pay Denon prices. Are there any units that occupy the middle between this Denon and a $50 Magnavox? The key attraction is the super-compact footprint, otherwise I'd just get a $30 Blu Ray player.

I've bought two of these on the used market for $50 or less, they're out there and generally cheap. I've had one each, Onkyo and Denon.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've bought two of these on the used market for $50 or less, they're out there and generally cheap. I've had one each, Onkyo and Denon.

Thanks- do you happen to remember the Onkyo model?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I have this 8 foot long Ikea butcher block table which I initially setup with 4 legs, 2 at each end. Initially it sagged in the middle so I moved one of the legs to the rear center directly under my 34" monitor to support the weight and I now have a filing cabinet supporting the side I stole the leg from.

Older pics of the table but not in the current setup:

Right now I have 3 PC towers, my monitor, and some bookshelf speakers on the desk. Are there motorized legs I could attach to each side to adequately support the entire thing so I can convert it to a stand-up desk? If I were to guess I'd say it probably weighs 220-240 pounds. Would I need three legs with motors, or two strong legs positioned more inwards to support the weight? Are there even legs I can get to accomplish this or should I look into a different desk if I want to stand?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Look for 3 motor desk legs. They make corner desk frames that seem to be easily modified to your specific ask, middle leg included. You would just have to mount the parts in line.

There are dual motor ones that could be used without a center leg, so there's some potential for sag, but lots of satisfied reviews with similar 96" desktop owners.

For for thought, you could cheaply eliminate a lot of sag by bolting a length of slotted steel channel along the whole bottom.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wasabi the J posted:

For for thought, you could cheaply eliminate a lot of sag by bolting a length of slotted steel channel along the whole bottom.

either channel or 90 round-angle. The latter gives you a convenient place to hang your cable ties from

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
90 round over has a thin single edge. Unistrut is folded several times making it much less prone to losing rigidity after a knock or two over the years.

Also, they make clamps that fit in struts to hold conduit and wires already that bolt to unistrut. You could even use the channel itself the conduit for smaller wires by just tucking it and putting a piece of cardstock over it.

That stuff makes my kneecaps wince, which was not something I knew they could do.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Bolting a metal bar under the table to support it would make a ton of sense and I should have thought of that! I'll check things out and report back with progress.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks- do you happen to remember the Onkyo model?

Denon UD-M30
Onkyo CR-325

When I've wanted to buy one of these, I've trolled CL and FB for "Onkyo CD Receiver" and "Denon CD Receiver" or just "CD Receiver". Doubt those terms will catch them all, but I've been able to buy one within a week or two of wanting one this way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Three Olives posted:

Made a few changes including a 3rd monitor for auxiliary stuff which involved one monitor swap and hacking together a mounting solution.

What are you using to run that there weather screen?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big one or little one? The little one is an Ambient Weather console for our weather station:

Big one is an Android TV running Dakboard, it integrates into a lot of my other stuff for things other than weather (News, Calendar, Traffic, Spotify), it's just shown in not doing anything mode which is just clock, weather and the NYT RSS newsfeed pulling background images from some image feed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Professor Wayne posted:

Just finished overhauling my desk with a new computer build, monitor, and docking station for my work laptop since I've been working from my kitchen table for a year and a half. During the workday, I use the wide monitor for work and the TV for my personal computer, mostly for music or streaming. Pretty happy with it so far, but I feel like I need a plant or something.

How useful is it having a much larger display above your main setup? I keep seeing this trend and I am thinking about joining the bandwagon.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How useful is it having a much larger display above your main setup? I keep seeing this trend and I am thinking about joining the bandwagon.

Works a treat for ruining your neck.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SEKCobra posted:

Works a treat for ruining your neck.

I've had a monitor above the main monitor for a long time and it has been a non-isue. When the top of the main monitor is at eye level, which seems to be the ergonomy recommendation, it takes minimum effort to glance above and if you want to look at it longer it's easy to lean back on the chair. The side monitor is bigger strain on the neck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saukkis posted:

I've had a monitor above the main monitor for a long time and it has been a non-isue. When the top of the main monitor is at eye level, which seems to be the ergonomy recommendation, it takes minimum effort to glance above and if you want to look at it longer it's easy to lean back on the chair. The side monitor is bigger strain on the neck.

/

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Finally finished my new build, besides switching out my 24" monitor from 2014. Ignore my craptacular cable management system, it's a work in progress. Yes, all the blue RGB makes it run coolder.

South fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

South posted:

Finally finished my new build, besides switching out my 24" monitor from 2014. Ignore my craptacular cable management system, it's a work in progress. Yes, all the blue RGB makes it run coolder.

can’t think of a better way to sum up “goon” than the juxtaposition of the high (Eames chair) with the low (RGB posting rig) on display here

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I couldn’t imagine having all that light shining at my face as I’m trying to play a video game or watch a movie.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

can’t think of a better way to sum up “goon” than the juxtaposition of the high (Eames chair) with the low (RGB posting rig) on display here

It's an actual survivor from the early 70's. It was my grandfathers favorite chair to read in. As I grew up, it became my favorite to read in too. I inherited it after my grandparents passed. It's still my favorite chair to read in and it means the world to me, but I'd much rather have them back instead.

The Lord Bude posted:

I couldn’t imagine having all that light shining at my face as I’m trying to play a video game or watch a movie.

Hence the dark curtains. It's actually not bad at all, it faces directly east, but there is a large sugar gum tree right in front of the window that blocks most of the light. I actually have more light coming in from the south facing window.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

South posted:

Hence the dark curtains. It's actually not bad at all, it faces directly east, but there is a large sugar gum tree right in front of the window that blocks most of the light. I actually have more light coming in from the south facing window.

I was talking about the ridiculous blue light coming from your computer case window that is right next to your face and pointed towards you for some crazy reason. Do you have a curtain for that as well?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ok Comboomer posted:

*sprinkles gamer fuel in my snifter of 20 year old brandy*

Dope eames chair and setup btw

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

South posted:

It's an actual survivor from the early 70's. It was my grandfathers favorite chair to read in. As I grew up, it became my favorite to read in too. I inherited it after my grandparents passed. It's still my favorite chair to read in and it means the world to me, but I'd much rather have them back instead.

id choose a comfy chair over my dead grandparents but they'd be 115 and probably look like the crypt keeper

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inept posted:

id choose a comfy chair over my dead grandparents but they'd be 115 and probably look like the crypt keeper

it’s p difficult to sit comfortably on your grandparents when they’re that old, yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Looks sick man don’t let the haters get you down

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Smythe posted:

Looks sick man don’t let the haters get you down

nobody was hating

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Saukkis posted:

Pretty much what this guy said. Before I got my ultrawide, I used it to mainly show media, apps I don't need to focus on (email, IMs, etc.), or data to reference while I'm working on the main screens at eye level. Now my ultrawide can show so much at once, that I rarely use the top screen for anything practical. But I still really like having it up there for media.

And now I have a plant! And it hasn't died yet!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Your setup is so clean. I love it!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

South posted:

Absolutely love the Eames, I'm a basic bitch so it's my favorite piece of furniture out there, and I'll never be able to afford one. Enjoy it for me. Your grandparents did you well.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Inept posted:

That's true, and unfortunately I'm pretty sure they'd be full on Tmrup supporters. They had all his books and my uncle was a failson who never faced consequences for his actions and ended up destroying the family business.

South fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 15, 2021

South
Apr 9, 2001

Quote != Edit

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

South posted:

Particularly like the industrial looking bench. That's a good green.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inner Light posted:

Absolutely love the Eames, I'm a basic bitch so it's my favorite piece of furniture out there, and I'll never be able to afford one. Enjoy it for me. Your grandparents did you well.

get a knockoff they're fine and no one but internet weirdos will care.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm surprised by how few people itt use standing desks

most of the setups being posted seem pretty bad for your back

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
As soon as I passed 30 dumb little things started working less great so now I make sure not to skimp out on my workspace. A sit to stand is soooo nice to have.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Agreed on the sit/stand desk. I took it tens of thousands of steps further:

I've been averaging about 5 miles a day at a ~2mph pace. It's not cardio, but I do feel far less restless at the end of a long day of computer touching.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
How's typing while bobbing during your walk? Did you get better at stabilizing over use? I've considered getting a treadmill for a few years now to break up the monotony of coding but all low-profile treadmills I've found so far were a bit outside what I'd like to spend on a potentially incompatible investment.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nem posted:

How's typing while bobbing during your walk? Did you get better at stabilizing over use? I've considered getting a treadmill for a few years now to break up the monotony of coding but all low-profile treadmills I've found so far were a bit outside what I'd like to spend on a potentially incompatible investment.

Can you find one with a return policy to assuage your concern?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nem posted:

I adapted to typing while walking fairly quickly, though I was a pretty good touch typist before I got the treadmill. My speed and accuracy don't suffer much at up to 2mph, and I start making errors if I try to type while walking faster than that. I typically crank up the speed a bit if I'm watching a video or in a meeting and don't have to type much.

It was a bit of a pricey investment, but I use it every day so I don't mind having spent the money. My lifestyle was almost completely sedentary before this, and I figured I'd be much more likely to exercise if I could do it while practicing my computer touching. Turns out that was true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I do my exercise at work and prefer to keep my rear end firmly enthroned while at home.