Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The framework laptop is cool. The inside is totally user-serviceable, even has QR codes so that a normie could look up how to do it. Every laptop oughta be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Did Linus say LTT wouldn't review laptops, or that he wouldn't review laptops?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He said he personally would not and that he would recuse himself from the entire process

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VostokProgram posted:

He said he personally would not and that he would recuse himself from the entire process

He never said this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

Nope! He led off with that as a hypothetical though!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Neither. Transcript d/l from youtube, sic:

quote:

The cleanest way to handle this, is to recuse myself from all decisions related to our editorial coverage of notebooks books. With the size and talent of our team. That's a legitimate option these days, frankly, I've had very little to do with it for a long time. Since there's been so little in the space, that's excited me, but my only issue with that is that means I'll be giving up the opportunity to talk to you guys about truly incredible machines that I am excited about. Like the ASUS RG flow X 13, that I've been daily driving for the last few months. Aside from some, yeah, we sent you a prototype, bugginess, I absolutely love that thing. It is so cool. So for that reason, I'm reluctant to completely bud out when there's still going to be stuff that I'm going to think is cool. And I'm going to want to talk about, what I know for sure is that even though I'm not ready to make a firm commitment to covering or not covering notebooks in the future, I will make a firm commitment to maintain the same level of honesty and transparency that you guys have come to expect from me. I will never say that I like something I don't, I won't hold back from anything I love. And I will keep you guys 100% apprised of the situation.

Basically, he's gonna keep reviewing laptops, he's cool, you can trust your good pal Linus.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Ethical Speech and Correct Speech means abstention from telling lies, from backbiting and slander and talk that may bring about hatred, enmity, disunity, and disharmony among individuals or groups of people, from harsh, rude, impolite, malicious, and abusive language, and from idle, useless, and foolish babble and gossip. When one abstains from these forms of wrong and harmful speech one naturally has to speak the truth, has to use words that are friendly and benevolent, pleasant and gentle, meaningful, and useful. One should not speak carelessly: speech should be at the right time and place. If one cannot say something useful, one should remain silent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is it a conflict of interest if say, MKBHD or Gruber have a fuckload of Apple shares?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

well why not posted:

Is it a conflict of interest if say, MKBHD or Gruber have a fuckload of Apple shares?

Yes. 100%. Unless it is explicitly disclosed, within the video, by the individual themselves.

Shipon posted:

Comparing "he roughed up a laptop" to people spouting race war poo poo is a pretty flippant attitude to have toward the latter

It’s not comparable. But it’s the same style of bullshit.

There’s a reason there are so many legal regulations regarding marketing. Because it’s too easy to abuse celebrity trust to make a quick buck.

I can’t say that I find it acceptable for any media member to pretend to be impartial when they are obviously not.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

well why not posted:

Gruber specifically has always been very upfront that he refuses to buy individual stocks for exactly this reason.

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1305933710068416519?s=20

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/1306117172528324608?s=20

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yes. 100%. Unless it is explicitly disclosed, within the video, by the individual themselves.

The conflict of interest still exists even after you disclose it. The disclosure is just the bare minimum you need to do (particularly with stocks, where you might get in actual legal trouble over non-disclosure).

The thing is, a conflict of interest in and of itself isn't a terrible violation. It's only bad if you let it influence you... or appear to influence you. And subconscious influence is a thing!

Society Of Professional Journalists posted:

Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. Disclose unavoidable conflicts.
...avoid political and other outside activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility.
It's not just about disclosure, it's about recognizing and reminding yourself about the conflict, and giving an extra critical look at it / an extra fair shake to the other side.

(Now, do tons of actual journalists and like 99.9% of youtube completely fail these and other guidelines? Sure. Do better. Linus dove headfirst into a completely avoidable situation, he should be bending over backwards for other laptops.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Linus roughing up a review sample is expected and normal

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

The conflict of interest still exists even after you disclose it. The disclosure is just the bare minimum you need to do (particularly with stocks, where you might get in actual legal trouble over non-disclosure).

The thing is, a conflict of interest in and of itself isn't a terrible violation. It's only bad if you let it influence you... or appear to influence you. And subconscious influence is a thing!

It's not just about disclosure, it's about recognizing and reminding yourself about the conflict, and giving an extra critical look at it / an extra fair shake to the other side.

(Now, do tons of actual journalists and like 99.9% of youtube completely fail these and other guidelines? Sure. Do better. Linus dove headfirst into a completely avoidable situation, he should be bending over backwards for other laptops.)

This is pretty perfectly stated. Avoid conflicts, and go out of your way when you can’t avoid it to be ridiculously clear that you may be biased.

GN did a video recently, I forget which one, but I think it was the one where they explained when thermal cameras were appropriate for benchmarks. In the video every single time GN disagreed with someone else or said someone could be wrong, Steve repeated over and over that there was a conflict of interest, and that they could easily be biased in their opinion, and they may not be right because of it.

It’s about as close to the gold standard you can get when there’s a conflict outside of avoiding it outright.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, so if you want to be told how to use your hardware and software with virtually no customization options exposed, then Apple makes stuff for you. You'd also be right to observe that they sell a ton of devices.

I like it when my devices let me do things though, and 'detrimental customization' is only detrimental when you prefer being told what you can do, and how you can do it. The idea of modular IO is honestly enough for me to seriously consider a Framework device.

lmao the condescension dripping off this post. You really hate it when people have different preferences than you, don't you?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

I like it when my devices let me do things though, and 'detrimental customization' is only detrimental when you prefer being told what you can do, and how you can do it. The idea of modular IO is honestly enough for me to seriously consider a Framework device.

Yes, the groundbreaking achievement of making USB C ports take up more space in the laptop case.

Laptop expansion bays are NOT NEW, they have basically invented PCMCIA-ExpressCard, which consumers already said they don't want.

edit: Did everyone forget about PCMCIA? I'm 40 and had a Novatel Merlin CDPD modem in whatever weird compact Sony laptop I had in with a wheel built into it in high school.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 13, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Someone in the YOSPOS Apple thread said well done you’ve invented the dongle.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

njsykora posted:

Someone in the YOSPOS Apple thread said well done you’ve invented the dongle.

It's this. The big innovation is moving the USB C ports further into the computer so the dongle sits flush with the case? Okay.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean that does solve my main complaint about dongles.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uOzNt-xwY

Person makes his own expansion cards. One is making a magsafe connector while the other is a hide away for his mouse rf transmitter.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

JuffoWup posted:

Also can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_uOzNt-xwY

Person makes his own expansion cards. One is making a magsafe connector while the other is a hide away for his mouse rf transmitter.

So he invented Bluetooth and this:

?

I mean, I guess also this if Bluetooth existed at the time, the mouse actually fit into the computer.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 13, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if framework didn’t have the internal dongles it’d still be interesting

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Linus yapping about his new cable tester, also pointing out that there's a whole lot of esoteric bullshit in the cable world, which made me remember LTT's few contributions to audiophoolery in regards to headphones and receivers in the past, which is kind of ironic.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This is the cringiest LTT video I've seen in a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVxNAYPzWo

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Remember when Hasan Piker said America deserved 9/11 and got fired from The Young Turks?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you can get fired for being correct?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mr.Radar posted:

This is the cringiest LTT video I've seen in a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVxNAYPzWo

I think it's pretty funny

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

well why not posted:

let us know how you manage to be so edgy and cool

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Former Human posted:

let us know how you manage to be so edgy and cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyrFuAydD4

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Former Human posted:

Remember when Hasan Piker said America deserved 9/11 and got fired from The Young Turks?

I won't go far as to say who deserved what, but America is the world champion of committing and enabling 9/11s across the world

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Former Human posted:

Given the horrors you have unleashed in the decades after you deserved so much worse.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

well why not posted:

He made a career out of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hm hm lets see what's going on in the YouTube Tech Idiots thread.

:yikes:

Right to repair is something for poo poo-idiots like me who are comfortable working with microelectronics to be able to get the relevant documentation needed to service poo poo, order the parts, and install said parts without sending the product to the manufacturer. It's not about assuming away engineering compromises or whatever strawman people were throwing out on the last page. If that is what people think it is, then that is a social problem (much like people treating Top Gear, Fox News, and Linus Tech Tips as trusted authorities).

Framework is not some flagship right to repair device, because it isn't solving the problem RTR wants to solve: the systemic opacity surrounding proprietary devices that creates untold amounts of e-waste (and other forms of waste see John Deere).

Yeah, so if you want to be told how to use your hardware and software with virtually no customization options exposed, then Apple makes stuff for you. You'd also be right to observe that they sell a ton of devices.

I prefer to spend my time customizing things other than my phone. My phone has a handful of jobs none of which I feel like compromising in the name of customization. For the same reason you don't overclock a production server, I don't jailbreak my phone--or even want to install things outside the Apple walled garden. It still boggles my mind that people don't understand this philosophy.

The only convincing argument has been that the type of reporting LTT, and many other tech YouTubers, does is misleading to the average viewer and that allowing it is a social problem. I agree with that one, because the Fox News/Breitbart/Top Gear argument correctly points out that people don't seem to have a good critical eye for separating entertainment from journalism. See also everyone who thinks right to repair = modular laptops.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You're sort of right and sort of wrong. The biggest problem right to repair has is a lack of any consistent definition. There are a whole bunch of potential issues that may or may not be part of the topic in any given person's mind and "right to repair" gets used as a blanket term for all of them :

OEMs refusing to sell parts.
OEMs suing third parties who manufacture parts.
OEMs suing third parties who repair OEM parts.
The federal government assailing third parties who repair or manufacture replacement parts.
OEMs suing users who repair their own loving property.
Government assailing users who repair their own loving property.

OEMs using custom/obfuscated/modified versions of OTS parts simply to break parts compatibility.

OEMs refusing to make schematics freely available.
OEMs refusing to sell schematics.
OEMs suing anyone who makes their own schematics.
Government assailing anyone who distributes any schematics of any sort.

OEMs refusing to provide diagnostic services.
OEMs refusing to provide info on diagnostic protocols.
OEMs putting DRM on diagnostic protocols.
OEMs suing anyone who provides info on diagnostic protocols.
Government assailing anyone who provides info on diagnostic protocols.

OEMs refusing to provide repair services.
OEMs suing anyone who provides repair services.
Government assailing anyone who provides repair services.

Parts having DRM and requiring programming to work for no goddamn reason.
OEMs refusing to provide said programming.
OEMs refusing to provide information on said programming.
OEMs using the DMCA to stop other people from providing reverse engineered information on said programming.
Government assailing people who provide information or services for said programming.

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

And then you get into loony poo poo where people think everything should be modular no matter what, every IC should be socketed, every single board should always be designed to have every component be hand-solder-replaceable by end users, every internal connector should be designed to withstand at least 10,000 plug/unplug cycles, and all kinds of other impractical/undesirable poo poo.

I could go on and on and on. When you say "right to repair", someone else doesn't necessarily have any idea what you're talking about, because there isn't a definitive definition of what exactly "right to repair" legislation should cover. That's why it's such a shitfest and IMO doomed until there's a serious attempt to discuss and settle on a single definition using a new terminology, popularize it in the public mind, and then once people understand it and can support it, push legislation based on that.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 18, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
For right to repair stuff I really like this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Tronicsfix

He buys broken electronics from ebay and then tries to fix them and sell them. He often talks about how "I don't have the schematics so I can't effectively troubleshoot this device." He also talks about things like "I can't buy this component directly from the manufacturer". I think his channel is pretty interesting in that regard. It makes me wish I had paid way more attention during my Basic Electronics class I took in the military.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I could go on and on and on. There isn't a definitive definition of what exactly "right to repair" legislation should cover, which is why it's such a shitfest and IMO doomed until there's a serious attempt to discuss and settle on a single definition using a new terminology, popularize it in the public mind, and then once people understand it and can support it, push legislation based on that.

I can very much agree with RTR being Occupy Hardware.

SalTheBard posted:

For right to repair stuff I really like this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Tronicsfix

He buys broken electronics from ebay and then tries to fix them and sell them. He often talks about how "I don't have the schematics so I can't effectively troubleshoot this device." He also talks about things like "I can't buy this component directly from the manufacturer". I think his channel is pretty interesting in that regard. It makes me wish I had paid way more attention during my Basic Electronics class I took in the military.

I flunked my highschool electronics class, but between taking what I could away from it (mostly the practical PCB assembly part) and filling in the blank with a decade of math and random computer gibberish, I've made myself comfortable enough to use a sodering iron on very expensive things. Having the nerves to dive into a project without fearing the cost of failure helps too. The most commonly cited reason I get from people about not wanting to repair/build their own tech is being afraid of breaking something.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 18, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Warmachine posted:

I prefer to spend my time customizing things other than my phone. My phone has a handful of jobs none of which I feel like compromising in the name of customization. For the same reason you don't overclock a production server, I don't jailbreak my phone--or even want to install things outside the Apple walled garden. It still boggles my mind that people don't understand this philosophy.

I mean it's obvious to everyone why Apple devices are good, but people willfully pretend that there's some philosophical hardship inherent in a closed system for the same superiority-complex reasons people on the internet make other empty statements like "gameplay over graphics" - to defend habits and biases that nobody was attacking in the first place. A lot of tech people are very dogmatically function over form, basically.

But yeah, I hear you. I have a PC because I like to tinker, and a Windows laptop because it's easier when I already have a PC. But nobody buying a mac or an iPhone are being decieved. They're beautiful and functional objects that fit into most people's lives tremendously well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
apparently some people got mad at Hardware Unboxed's Steve when he was doing his new-studio tour and walked on the Gamers Nexus modmat, alleging it was some kind of deliberate disrespect to GN

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

apparently some people got mad at Hardware Unboxed's Steve when he was doing his new-studio tour and walked on the Gamers Nexus modmat, alleging it was some kind of deliberate disrespect to GN

I feel like Steve Burke’s response is very predictable: ask for the offending modmat back in exchange for a brand new one, as it now contains valuable real life end user stress testing data.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right to repair also makes products easier to separate for more effective recycling, which means less of them get shredded. The EU is likely going pretty far with this soon, forcing manufacturers to provide updates for a certain amount of years, forcing the availability of replacement components and requiring eco-design, making products easier to repair and recycle.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

K8.0 posted:

And then you get into loony poo poo where people think everything should be modular no matter what, every IC should be socketed, every single board should always be designed to have every component be hand-solder-replaceable by end users, every internal connector should be designed to withstand at least 10,000 plug/unplug cycles, and all kinds of other impractical/undesirable poo poo.

Can people please stop flipping back and forth from extreme to extreme and inventing positions no one holds?

Also no one is wrong or bad for wanting a modular phone or a modular laptop or to tinker with stuff you deem "unusual" to tinker with. This attitude of shaming people for wanting to mess with stuff is super weird and the way it slowly crept in from being nonsense into being consensus is loving creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheCoach posted:

Can people please stop flipping back and forth from extreme to extreme and inventing positions no one holds?

Also no one is wrong or bad for wanting a modular phone or a modular laptop or to tinker with stuff you deem "unusual" to tinker with. This attitude of shaming people for wanting to mess with stuff is super weird and the way it slowly crept in from being nonsense into being consensus is loving creepy.

Not empty quoting