Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Penisface posted:

you ever considered getting a 2nd hand server blade and sticking it where it can make noise and running your heavy audio lifting on that? audio over network is fast these days

not quite at that point yet... tho I am going to put the i7 in my old case and prob distribute some load to it because why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

got the new cpu and mobo installed, cpu useage on the piece im working on dropped from 100% usage with pops and cracks starting to happen to 7%. insane how good they are at multithreaded tasks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ryzens are some broken rear end chips. absolute hacks. glad it's humming for you

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

yeah it's pretty insane. i think this beast should last for some time now. also got the new ram in, tested it overnight and it's all good, so i'm done with rebuilding this thing.

also made the decision and picked up dorico pro since it's on sale and with the competitive crossgrade I was able to get it for about ~$200. now i need to make a sound set for it which is going to take way too long. probably look at getting nuendo or something at some point but i've spent enough this last 2 months on stuff. still less than a base mac pro would cost for way worse hardware :v:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

and another track finished :justpost:

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/gathering-storm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh you peeps probably follow this dude anyway but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHdqu55FMc

ive time stamped it where hes using a super old commodore and a tracker

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

heh you peeps probably follow this dude anyway but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHdqu55FMc

ive time stamped it where hes using a super old commodore and a tracker

timestamp didn't work but that's cool

thinking about making my own midi controller with lots of knobs and a fader for each channel. i also want to put a small screen for each knob that tells you what CC channel it's set to and for the faders that show you which channel it is.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

timestamp didn't work but that's cool

thinking about making my own midi controller with lots of knobs and a fader for each channel. i also want to put a small screen for each knob that tells you what CC channel it's set to and for the faders that show you which channel it is.

http://faderfox.de/ec4.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would suggest one larger screen that mimics the knob/button layout with the labels. the individual tiny oled display idea is super trick, but will be an absolute wiring nightmare and you'll hate the thing before it's even completed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about making a midi driven visualiser thing

thankfully, looks like receiving midi into an arduino is trivial, and powering leds or small displays or arrays of leds is also trivial from an arduino

just gotta have some fun using some c to make this do that.

and i probably have half the equipment already. years ago ordered heaps of those mini/micro arduinos. never used them.

my musical venture is giving me meaning in life. a goal to work towards. when I reach the goal or give up trying things will be average again, but until them.. dream ahoy

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I really want a few more than that per channel + faders, and making my own stuff is fun

Jonny 290 posted:

i would suggest one larger screen that mimics the knob/button layout with the labels. the individual tiny oled display idea is super trick, but will be an absolute wiring nightmare and you'll hate the thing before it's even completed

plan is to use smd or through-hole displays. i have a ton of experience with pcb layout so that's not a problem, nor is the controller and a windows/mac front end to change settings how I want.

friend has a sick wood cutting/engraving setup so I may get him to make a face plate for it for ~aesthetic~

edit: oh yeah I completely reworked my desk last night so I could fit more stuff on it

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 25, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

you could get a streamdeck and have it display all of that on its buttons, but the knobs wouldn’t be by the display

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you could get a streamdeck and have it display all of that on its buttons, but the knobs wouldn’t be by the display

not a bad idea, but I think I want to go all out with this, more as a challenge than anything else. and I don't care about doing it on the cheap so I'm looking in to motorized pots and faders... probably use an fpga for control since I've been looking to do something with one for a while and I think I'm going to need a lot of input/outputs for this.

yes I am insane

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
This combines some of the stuff talked about recently - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LPAV9yzno

c64 with midi cart, lcd screen and a bank of knobs built by lookmumnocomputer being put into a wooden box.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

that's really cool. I like that people just take stuff and throw it together to make unique one-offs

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

so i thought I was done with my computer, but with all the upgrades my psu has decided that it won't supply enough power for the cpu and gpu despite being a 750 W which should be more than enough. it's crapping out at around 400-450 w, so i ordered a phantek 1 kW supply that is the same as the seasonic prime ultra platinum but $100 cheaper because it doesn't say seasonic on it. same 12 year warranty and everything.

still working on getting dorico set up, it's a bit of a bear, but it can do really cool things. for example, this part below:

is completely automated to use the correct samples for the correct articulations based on the notation. the dynamic markers change the expression and modulation, the note length changes between sustain and shorts, the staccato and staccatissimo change the tonguing technique, accents add the accent attack, marcato as well, the slur in that case switches between short slur and short accent slur, and it correctly slurs between the octaves at the end like a trumpet in this case would (no key change, all embouchure), then plays the vibrato sample. to do this in sibelius I would have had to add a CC command for every single one of those things to happen.

that's all controlled through dorico's expression maps

I've finished the strings and am working through the brass now, then woodwinds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hehehe saw wave go brrrrrr

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Can anyone recommend a decent sample editor for macs? One that can import MP3's, easily chop them up and export to WAV etc.

I'm trying to get my enormous break library into a state where I can use it with the sampler in my eurorack but the library is in Mp3 and Logic Audio is absolute horrible dogshit when it comes to working with audio files.

VVV cheers for the recommendations all, ill check them out

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 30, 2021

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

toiletbrush posted:

decent sample editor for macs

soundforge is worth a demo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

relatedly, is there anything like audacity for the iPad?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent sample editor for macs? One that can import MP3's, easily chop them up and export to WAV etc.

I'm trying to get my enormous break library into a state where I can use it with the sampler in my eurorack but the library is in Mp3 and Logic Audio is absolute horrible dogshit when it comes to working with audio files.

reaper.fm will work on both intel and m1 macs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ableton s simpler is good enough for me but i use synth stuff much more - like 70% of my sampling is mostly recording little jones and letting him sample it through a bunch of effects

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ive been using reaper and it's really powerful, but it definitely feels sometimes like it was made by engineers and can be somewhat unfriendly. thankfully they have an insane amount of videos that walk you through every single aspect of it.

i may make the leap to nuendo next time it comes around on sale since it's an easier integration with dorico, but for now reaper has been very needs suiting

ableton live very much feels to me first and foremost focused on, well, live performances

speaking of dorico, yesterday i finally finished implementing the expression maps for every symphony instrument. it's taken me around 3 weeks to do this working a couple of hours a day on it. for whatever reason kontakt gets weird sometimes with keyswitches where it won't release them properly, so i'm using CC commands to change articulations, and program changes to switch between articulation banks. opus is perfectly happy with keyswitches

i've been really happy with the sound of the opus hollywood orchestra instruments so far, but their solo instruments are far weaker than others. of course this is comparing one of their solo instruments with something like a sampled stradivari violin/cello, although i prefer the timbre of guarneri violin. little surprise i guess that the four instrument sample sets are $400.

i really wish that some of these companies would offer 'hobbiest' discounts because the barrier to entry is an insane amount of money. but i also understand that it's a very limited appeal product that's staggeringly expensive to produce.

also it's a strange feeling seeing that you're using 110 of 128 gb of ram and being worried that you only have as much left as the vast majority of computers out there. depending on how my job search goes and if/where i end up moving i might put together a small server cluster with decent amounts of ram on each so i can just keep things loaded at all times. something like ~100 gb of ram on each 16ish thread processor, 2 per mobo. and 2 of those. then put them in a custom enclosure where i can liquid cool the entire thing to keep it quiet. no video card needed so power needs won't be as extreme, and the tallest part will be the ram so I can pack them in closer.

oh and my parts started arriving yesterday for my midi controller. once i have all of them in i'll start making cutouts in cardboard to work on physical layout before settling on BOM and then build the schematics/pcbs for them. I am thinking that I will use rosewood for the enclosure sides/bottom, and then brushed steel or aluminum for the top to cut down on fingerprint notice ability. last thing I'm figuring out is what I want to use for buttons. ideally they'll be soft touch, but at the very least quiet, and i want programmable rgb for each of them for customization.

anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk hope you learned something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have DAW angst too. i of course main Renoise these days, but it's not really suitable for live instumentation projects and i wanna gently caress with guitar/bass stuff again. but the last thing i used for that was cubase around like gently caress, 2007. i still have all the muscle memory for that and have tried ableton and <gag> audition* and they just dont work for me

* i like audition for editing single audio files but hate its multitrack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dehumanise etc and face to dawless future

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jonny 290 posted:

* i like audition for editing single audio files but hate its multitrack

same. don't think i've ever used any of its multitrack features

i've been working on a project with some buds in shanghai since the summer and it's mostly done but they have dumb poo poo like jobs and lives so they've been very slow to communicate and finish up, but i did all their mixing and then because i had a bunch of spare time i remixed everything they did so they'll put out a remix EP alongside the main one

anyway i got tired of sitting on a bunch of what i think is really good stuff and want someone else to hear it so here's a preview of the originals and remixes

an untitled chillout EP

an untitled remix EP

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i really wish that some of these companies would offer 'hobbiest' discounts because the barrier to entry is an insane amount of money. but i also understand that it's a very limited appeal product that's staggeringly expensive to produce.
we are very much at hobbyist prices rn, vsl symphonic cube used to cost twelve thousand american dollars

also the hw solo violin can be pretty good if you solo one of the close mics (the L/R channel only options ministry of rock guitars use to switch between DI and amped) so it doesn't jump around so much

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 3, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’d probably pirate it if it was just for my own fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

was sick of poo poo sliding around on stand so used that stuff that’s for making sure poo poo doesn’t slide around on shelves, taped super hard with electrical tape, leaving big sponge exposed 😎

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

is this thing supposed to scare the poo poo into staying put? because it could use some more threatening spikes, maybe a few skulls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
saving up for those

https://gfycat.com/criminalseverehoneyeater

not sure how that’ll come out. anyway got some more cables and now i route one channel from the synth into the drum machine and then the drum machine does some side chain compression/volume, and because you can pan the oscillators individually in the synth ive got one osc going into the drum machine and pumping and other not. it sounds cool when moving thru chords and it’s definitely gonna be something I use often because it gives so much movement and ryhtym to the synth, that lfos don’t quite do.

anyway. i’ve got a week off and having a wee bit of fun

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’d probably pirate it if it was just for my own fun

you wouldn't download an orchestra

echinopsis posted:

https://gfycat.com/criminalseverehoneyeater

not sure how that’ll come out. anyway got some more cables and now i route one channel from the synth into the drum machine and then the drum machine does some side chain compression/volume, and because you can pan the oscillators individually in the synth ive got one osc going into the drum machine and pumping and other not. it sounds cool when moving thru chords and it’s definitely gonna be something I use often because it gives so much movement and ryhtym to the synth, that lfos don’t quite do.

anyway. i’ve got a week off and having a wee bit of fun

nice

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH71AAxXmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lRTGoi9SU8

Woops, apologies, wrong thread.

An cruiscin lan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 16, 2021

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

came to post a track i am happy about finishing properly after 2 years in limbo https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/9421a

click if you like krautrock

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thinking about live performance..

is there anything that is worthwhile putting between the synth and PA system? something like a general reverb or compressor or something?

I recorded some of my playing the other day and it sounded good to me at the time, but when listening back.. kind of empty ish.. I mean this probably means I need another thing in the mix anyway, but one part of music I've never really "got" is compressors, I know they're vital, but know gently caress all. and I'm sure a small amount of reverb on everything would probably fill in the gaps a bit.

thougts?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been getting really frustrated lately when i try to make music because my computer is so old and bad. i'm hoping i can get a new one after the move. it'd be really nice to be able to actually live-play synth over my pads/bass/drums/etc again

idk why it got so bad - might be upgrade to ableton 11, might just be that i started using more cpu-intensive stuff. might just be that i started doing enough live-play type stuff that it mattered. anyway i'm excited to get a new computer and probably a bigger midi controller!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Penisface posted:

came to post a track i am happy about finishing properly after 2 years in limbo https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/9421a

click if you like krautrock

I will check this out, since I like krautrock. Have you ever heard of Cloud 9 and the Vitamin C? A really obscure band from Germany that broke up before doing any proper releases... which was actually sad as gently caress, since their music ruled. One of the members of the band archived a bunch of their stuff (http://homemade-lofi-psychedelic.blogspot.com/search/label/artist%3A%20Cloud%20Nine%20and%20The%20Vitamin%20C%20%28GER%29 and https://homemade-lofi-psychedelic.blogspot.com/search/label/artist%3A%20Cloud%20Nine%20%28GER%29)

Anyways, I did some things too. Hopefully, someone likes them.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/speedrunning-the-permian-triassic-extinction

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/dairy-queen-the-cane-toad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i've been getting really frustrated lately when i try to make music because my computer is so old and bad. i'm hoping i can get a new one after the move. it'd be really nice to be able to actually live-play synth over my pads/bass/drums/etc again

idk why it got so bad - might be upgrade to ableton 11, might just be that i started using more cpu-intensive stuff. might just be that i started doing enough live-play type stuff that it mattered. anyway i'm excited to get a new computer and probably a bigger midi controller!

ryzens are a thing! get one. you can just order it right off the interwebs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so far i have bought three ryzens and still have one. i gave my placeholder chip to a yosposter, and i bought my brother a 5600x and a motherboard for his birthday. Don't get MAD. get AMD