Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i don't see corn syrup in grocery stores in japan, but i've never looked for it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
When people talk about healthy food in Japan, I recall how as a child in Japan, my dad would sneak into the kitchen at night and lick their block of MSG like a horse.

(I know msg's not that bad. Still gross.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A block of MSG? How do you use that?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

A little at a time, I hope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just hanging out in my kitchen grating some MSG into the pot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Like a salt lick apparently

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I would imagine it would be similar to using a block if palm sugar

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

Just hanging out in my kitchen grating some MSG into the pot.

Isn't that basically what grating parmesan into something is?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
That's what I call the hardened ball of Knorr chicken broth powder that forms after the can has been open for a year and you have to carve off chunks with a knife

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
More Korean I think, but is there anyway to get good cheap ramen soup base? I love Shin Black ramen soup base and I want to use it in other things but I can only buy it in packets with instant noodles. I just want bulk soup base.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Maybe buy a Korean army stew base? I don't think I've ever seen ramen seasoning packets sold individually

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Fair. Related but different question, anyone have any suggestions for how to make spicy bomb for ramen (red bomb)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Can't vouch for it as I haven't done it, and I kind of can't believe I'm linking this, but you might try this recipe for a "Akayu Spicy Miso Ball" on page 104 of an insanely comprehensive ramen cookbook by a reddit guy named Ramen_Lord.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

inspired by waffles and mochi, we made lil' pink mochi using Namiko's recipe (https://www.justonecookbook.com/daifuku/). Made the red bean paste in the Instant Pot and it was quite easy, although it needed a bit extra time because the red beans we have are old as hell.

lol at our nori attempt at mochi's face :unsmith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's extremely adorable.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Scythe posted:

Can't vouch for it as I haven't done it, and I kind of can't believe I'm linking this, but you might try this recipe for a "Akayu Spicy Miso Ball" on page 104 of an insanely comprehensive ramen cookbook by a reddit guy named Ramen_Lord.

Thanks!

Also I've been making marinated soy eggs lately for ramen which is like soy sauce, mirin, sugar, sake and water. I take it I can use the left over marinade for oyakodon no problem right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay working on a new okonomiyaki method

Osaka style is too simple and Hiroshima style is too fiddly. This takes the ingredients of Hiroshima but condenses them into two layers

Mix your cabbage and fillings into the batter like Osaka style

Put your pork/bacon on a hot pan, then dump the cabbage on top so that they’ll cook and stick together

Fry, flip, fry, remove to dish.

Fry the noodles, then remove to a bowl. Mix in a beaten egg while the noodles are still hot so they lightly cook like a carbonara.

Dump carbonara noodles on top of the cabbage pancake, put toppings on it

(Use guanciale instead of bacon if you want to pretend it’s italian fusion)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Okay working on a new okonomiyaki method

Osaka style is too simple and Hiroshima style is too fiddly. This takes the ingredients of Hiroshima but condenses them into two layers

Mix your cabbage and fillings into the batter like Osaka style

Put your pork/bacon on a hot pan, then dump the cabbage on top so that they’ll cook and stick together

Fry, flip, fry, remove to dish.

Fry the noodles, then remove to a bowl. Mix in a beaten egg while the noodles are still hot so they lightly cook like a carbonara.

Dump carbonara noodles on top of the cabbage pancake, put toppings on it

(Use guanciale instead of bacon if you want to pretend it’s italian fusion)

Not my cup of tea but it certainly sounds like for you that's what you want, grilled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We can all agree Hiroshima okonomiyaki is superior, I hope.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Osakans are approximately as militant about food purity as YouTube Italians from what I’ve experienced, and get angry when people say this. At least the ones I know

Also scold you if you put anything other than octopus in takoyaki style balls

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Also scold you if you put anything other than octopus in takoyaki style balls

I mean it is the best ingredient though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can one convert regular noodles to alkaline noodles or do they have to be made that way

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kenji has a method on Serious Eats somewhere that involves boiling in a bit of baking soda to make something alkaline-ish.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Kenji has a method on Serious Eats somewhere that involves boiling in a bit of baking soda to make something alkaline-ish.

Looks like this is it. https://www.seriouseats.com/baking-soda-ramen-noodle-spaghetti-hack

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My only problem with getting octopus for takoyaki is that I have to be ready to eat 400 of them because there’s no one nearby that sells in small enough quantity for like “eh I want a dozen takoyaki”

I’m on a takeout wakame salad kick lately so I decided to finally invest in learning how to make it. I have the sauce down pretty much to what I expect but I can’t find the right wakame mixture. All I can get is wakame that rehydrates to small and wide crumbles, not the fun stringy stuff that I’m pulling out from between my teeth for the next hour. Wonder if it has a specific name that I could go looking for, either in Japanese or Chinese since the latter is more common in my immediate area as far as ethnic food shops go.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I lucked into a small fishmonger place that sells individual octopus arms.

But you can also buy pre-cooked frozen octopus (if super lucky packs of all legs) in larger stores usually. Just cut all the legs apart and keep them frozen Individually. Not ideal but it works and if you thaw them in the fridge they are good to go the next day.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

:emptyquote:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwu3pXtbXC0
For whoever it was wondering how to use their takoyaki maker when not making takoyaki.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

can someone tell me what they use their tamagoyaki pan for other than making tamagoyaki?

my goon partner wants one

I already have all kinds of non-rectangular/non-square pans.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

hallo spacedog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwu3pXtbXC0
For whoever it was wondering how to use their takoyaki maker when not making takoyaki.

Why is Adam Buxton doing an offensive Japanese impression?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Is aburaage worth making yourself? Or should I just buy some packaged stuff?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

captkirk posted:

Is aburaage worth making yourself? Or should I just buy some packaged stuff?

Just buy it, I don't think it's going to be easy to replicate the texture.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hallo spacedog posted:

Just buy it, I don't think it's going to be easy to replicate the texture.

I don't have that option here :(

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
You can find canned versions of it too. I haven't tried them, but it might be worth looking into if you're out of range for the fresh stuff. If I were going to make it myself I'd go straight to Tochio aburage (which is really its own food---not usable in inari sushi etc.).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Mongoose posted:

You can find canned versions of it too. I haven't tried them, but it might be worth looking into if you're out of range for the fresh stuff. If I were going to make it myself I'd go straight to Tochio aburage (which is really its own food---not usable in inari sushi etc.).

Some quick googling... is this just thick cut aburaage?

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Just bought some kojikin, about to embark on a winter project of making my own miso and doburoku. (This website seems pretty comprehensive by the way if anyone else is interested!)

I know someone else in this thread was messing around with kojikin a while back but I might still post some how-tos and trip reports if anyone's interested.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

midori-a-gogo posted:

Just bought some kojikin, about to embark on a winter project of making my own miso and doburoku. (This website seems pretty comprehensive by the way if anyone else is interested!)

I know someone else in this thread was messing around with kojikin a while back but I might still post some how-tos and trip reports if anyone's interested.

Trip reports for sure if you can. I am always too intimidated for home fermenting honestly.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

captkirk posted:

Some quick googling... is this just thick cut aburaage?

Yeah, it's like an aburaage steak that gets toasted before being sliced and served so it's crisp on the outside and spongy soft on the inside. Usually eaten with shoyu and accents like katsuobushi, green onion and/or grated ginger. I spent a lot of time in the area that makes it so it's the first thing that comes to mind for tasty aburaage, but it's not an appropriate sub for normal thin aburaage pouches.

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
Had a bit of a rough 100 day-ish lockdown in Sydney, Australia, and I knew that I wasn't going to get the ramen I Need during that time - so I tried to learn how to make it:

https://imgur.com/a/LWr4Di2

This is a femur bone 16 hr tonkotsu soup, sous vide 12 hour chashu, 6 hr soy/mirin marinated egg, wood ear mushrooms, toasted sesame. The tare is salt based, and I made the noodles myself.

Recently made a shoyu tori paitan for eight people which was fun. Now that I'm out of lockdown I'm trying to find where the good butchers are!

Also funnily, kombu is illegal to import into this state, on account of the high arsenic content. I went to a Japanese grocer and the owner was out the front, cooking tofu shabu-shabu style, dipping it in a ponzu he was trying to sell, and when I saw the soup had kombu in it and asked him where I could get some, since I heard it was illegal, he made the world's most nervous laugh.

ed: fucken how do you add images to posts these days

BIG BABY JESUS fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BIG BABY JESUS posted:

Had a bit of a rough 100 day-ish lockdown in Sydney, Australia, and I knew that I wasn't going to get the ramen I Need during that time - so I tried to learn how to make it:

https://imgur.com/a/LWr4Di2

This is a femur bone 16 hr tonkotsu soup, sous vide 12 hour chashu, 6 hr soy/mirin marinated egg, wood ear mushrooms, toasted sesame. The tare is salt based, and I made the noodles myself.

Recently made a shoyu tori paitan for eight people which was fun. Now that I'm out of lockdown I'm trying to find where the good butchers are!

Also funnily, kombu is illegal to import into this state, on account of the high arsenic content. I went to a Japanese grocer and the owner was out the front, cooking tofu shabu-shabu style, dipping it in a ponzu he was trying to sell, and when I saw the soup had kombu in it and asked him where I could get some, since I heard it was illegal, he made the world's most nervous laugh.

ed: fucken how do you add images to posts these days

This looks delicious, awesome work.
I did not know about Kombu but it's not surprising at this point to hear that.