Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Strong Michael Scott at the improv class vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

I finished Disco Elysium and boy that ending sucks.

I also somehow managed to beat the game and earn 0 achievements so go me.

I know I said this in another thread where you mentioned this, but seriously send that save to the devs. I bet they would be very interested in how you did it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also consider sending a brain biopsy to the devs so it can be examined for any novel prion diseases

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Barudak posted:

Im honestly just as surprised as you are.

From what I gather the game doesnt like pragmatism.

The game generally frowns on people who play the game as a by the books cop, you will be non stop called out for being a boring person by a lot of your own personality traits, you gotta embrace the strange or the game will just show you the door.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Judge Tesla posted:

The game generally frowns on people who play the game as a by the books cop, you will be non stop called out for being a boring person by a lot of your own personality traits, you gotta embrace the strange or the game will just show you the door.

No I played by the books cop because I wanted to see if it's possible. It's not only possible but also a pretty good storyline on its own. Barudak should've at least get one of these:

I think Barudak just roleplayed a :geno:cop who wouldn't say anything he personally wouldn't say.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

or who didn't say anything

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

The confusing thing is that Boring Cop is its own copotype with associated lines and achievement which means they somehow managed to not even commit to Boring Cop. It’s also very easy to naturally arrive at Sorry Cop because of where the story starts and the recent actions of your fuckup of a character. really not sure how you get through the entire game without adopting any copotype nor ideology (not even the non-ideology!)

By halfway through the first day I was the Communist Cop of the Apocalypse and it was a lot of fun

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I thought there was a thing that popped up that was like, "You've been saying a lot of left-wing stuff, wanna be Communist Cop?" and you can just say no every time one of those comes up.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
A lot of people who have a bad time with Disco Elysium generally tend to be the people who refuse to engage with the way that the game wants you to play it. The load screens tell you to do weird things explore your options and gently caress around with things, but if you don't then the game doesn't come together in the same way as it does for most people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The confusing thing is that Boring Cop is its own copotype with associated lines and achievement which means they somehow managed to not even commit to Boring Cop. It’s also very easy to naturally arrive at Sorry Cop because of where the story starts and the recent actions of your fuckup of a character. really not sure how you get through the entire game without adopting any copotype nor ideology (not even the non-ideology!)

a brief summary of what he “did” and why it came back to bite him during the Shivers check:

Barudak posted:

Didn't help the cryptozoologists so no bonus
Reported the body instead of solving it so no bonus
Didn't attempt an impossible check so no bonus (can fix this I guess but why the gently caress is this of all things connected)
Told the music kids trying to start a drug lab to gently caress off, no bonus
I have 6+ hours before I can do the gun quest so I can fix this, but still possible to not get this bonus and now that I've looked it up and desparate to not have to keep reloading Im changing the outcome Im choosing to avoid no bonus
Didn't go on a weird date by abusing my rank with a woman with a dead husband so no bonus
No credit for the murder reconstruction I think for missing the gunshot wound, no bonus

if this is any indication then he only “played” the game in the sense that he had it displayed on his monitor and occasionally clicked a mouse. it’s like the DE equivalent of that guy from earlier who couldn’t make it past the first jump in Metroid Dread because they didn’t realize holding the button made you jump higher

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

God drat is the way Disco Elysium fans discus the game insufferable. It's like Undertale for people who read a lot of tweets about Mao.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

God drat is the way Disco Elysium fans discus the game insufferable.

you have to put your elbow into it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

a brief summary of what he “did” and why it came back to bite him during the Shivers check:

if this is any indication then he only “played” the game in the sense that he had it displayed on his monitor and occasionally clicked a mouse. it’s like the DE equivalent of that guy from earlier who couldn’t make it past the first jump in Metroid Dread because they didn’t realize holding the button made you jump higher

:psyduck:

The whole reason you're THERE is because of the body. How do you not investigate it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

The whole reason you're THERE is because of the body. How do you not investigate it?

Different bodies. The one on the pier if you follow Kim's recommendation and just report it for other cops to deal with, you get no credit towards the shivers check. If you do the entire autopsy of the main victims body but fail the bullet detection check you also get no credit towards the shiver check despite everything else you do in that scene.

Basically if there was a way to get no credit for the shivers check I inadvertently did it, which quite soured me on a game that I spent 23 hours playing in total.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain DIEgiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/VcFJPUA.mp4
This is the moment I always think of when I recommend Mad Max

e: whoops, I thought we were in the good things in games thread :v:

Yeah despite some rough edges it's a hoot Tom-lay when it comes together.

It goes on deep discount a lot, there's currently a good deal on Green Man Gaming if you want to try Max out without breaking the bank

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/mad-max/

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Barudak posted:

Different bodies. The one on the pier if you follow Kim's recommendation and just report it for other cops to deal with, you get no credit towards the shivers check. If you do the entire autopsy of the main victims body but fail the bullet detection check you also get no credit towards the shiver check despite everything else you do in that scene.

Basically if there was a way to get no credit for the shivers check I inadvertently did it, which quite soured me on a game that I spent 23 hours playing in total.

Oh, that makes sense.

I would recommend doing a 3/3/3/3 or 4/4/4/4 playthrough now that you know things to check, because there are quite a few scenes you would have missed that you would have decent success on skill checks without the game bombarding you with extra dialogue like a 6/6/6/6 playthrough would do. The body on the pier's resolution is heartwrenching

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

alternatively he should just move on and accept that the game wasnt to his tastes if he managed to thread that particular needle

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, maybe watch some streamers or something if you want to get that missing content, but I don’t a second playthrough would give you much if you didn’t click with it your first time around

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"I didn't get much out of this game but I finished it"

"Okay cool now do it again"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

"I didn't get much out of this game but I finished it"

"Okay cool now do it again"

Ah my Undertale experience.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
My kids got me Subnautica for my birthday and I recently started playing it. I dunno what it is about being alone in an endless ocean that creeps me out but the first time an enormous monstrous fishmonster came screeching (literally screeching) out of the gloom to eat me I said "nope" and just turned it off. Not sure what it is about that game but it just makes me so uneasy*

*(It's probably the monstrous screeching fishmonsters)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The thing dragging Subnautica down for me was that nobody mentioned it was a resource gathering/base building game. I just wanted undersea terror, not wandering around looking for stuff to pick up :arghfist:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain DIEgiene posted:

The thing dragging Subnautica down for me was that nobody mentioned it was a resource gathering/base building game. I just wanted undersea terror, not wandering around looking for stuff to pick up :arghfist:

Skip the base building and get yourself a rad suit. Go straight to the burning crashed ship and try to go underneath it and then poo poo your pants.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nah I'm done with it, I gave it a second chance a while back and couldn't get into it, there are too many other games on my interest list to give it another try.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing The Riftbreaker which is kind of a hybrid base building/action game and I don't know who thought up the dumb idea to make one of the minerals you need to advance in the tech tree just randomly spawn instead of being harvestable. So instead of just mining it you have to use a scanner which will lead you to a spot where you can dig but what you get is random.

In the story mode when you first need it they send you to a spot on the map that just gives you enough to completely max out your storage capacity, which isn't exactly the sign of a well designed game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Nah I'm done with it, I gave it a second chance a while back and couldn't get into it, there are too many other games on my interest list to give it another try.

Good call.

I love Subnautica but the basebuilding and resource gathering is a significant part of things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I've been playing The Riftbreaker which is kind of a hybrid base building/action game and I don't know who thought up the dumb idea to make one of the minerals you need to advance in the tech tree just randomly spawn instead of being harvestable. So instead of just mining it you have to use a scanner which will lead you to a spot where you can dig but what you get is random.

In the story mode when you first need it they send you to a spot on the map that just gives you enough to completely max out your storage capacity, which isn't exactly the sign of a well designed game.

Are you talking about cobalt? Because eventually it will let you open a rift to a different map with actual deposits on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ah my Undertale experience.

Ah, the Nier Automata experience

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Well alright but you're missing an S-tier pants making GBS threads experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Same. The material you need to progress is a random drop too, and after swimming around a while not getting any I got bored and quit. Thank goodness for game pass

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I had a bunch of fun swimming around and exploring Subnautica, then before I actually had to build a base I could quit and watch somebody on youtube walk around their underwater palace. Worked for me.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Or just use the console friends. I hit the point where I had fun gathering stuff but didn't want to grind out the sub so I just poofed one into existence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Or just use the console friends. I hit the point where I had fun gathering stuff but didn't want to grind out the sub so I just poofed one into existence.

I had to lower Quake to 800x600 resolution to get it to a playable state on my PC, I can't console command didly on console or I'd have absolutely done that because I am envious of you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

thecluckmeme posted:

There's an achievement for finishing the game without ever checking out the hanging body.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Barudak posted:

There is an alternative to the shivers check if you fail it consistantly, the game directs you to talk to the fisherwoman's twins because there's a funky radio signal they can hear and things progress from there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Yeah I dropped it when I ran out of new places to explore (that I knew of) and was just running back to the same spot to farm more diamonds or metal or rubies or whatever to grind for the next upgrade.
Some time shortly after building the prawn suit iirc.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Judge Tesla posted:

There is an alternative to the shivers check if you fail it consistantly, the game directs you to talk to the fisherwoman's twins because there's a funky radio signal they can hear and things progress from there.

Yes, it is literally impossible to fail the Shivers check that ends the game because if you fail it twice after doing everything possible you get redirected to the 'Children of the Sea' and the final sidequest that autosucceeds it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

bewilderment posted:

Yes, it is literally impossible to fail the Shivers check that ends the game because if you fail it twice after doing everything possible you get redirected to the 'Children of the Sea' and the final sidequest that autosucceeds it.

I want to thank both of you. I failed the check once and then when nothing changed, went online. Everything on the first dozen results, and every single strategy guide published in the results, says you have to progress this way so I assumed this was the only way since the game has been out for years. The only way to get the information you shared to show up was to type in the quest name as otherwise I could not get it to show up which is hilarious for the failsafe of the desperate.

Now that I know it is smart enough to have an alternate route just presented catastrophically badly, I can recommend to other people I know who would dig it and let them know this quirk.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Oct 19, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I finished Subnautica without even stepping foot in 3 of the biomes, apparently. Didn't help that at least two of them were "this is entirely dark for absolutely no reason because that's how we can jump scare you with enemies". The game was a lot of fun, but there were some definite parts that felt way too grindy. The best part is definitely when you get the cyclops and prawn up and running and can go down way into the depths of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just used sandbox mode, it was fun enough.