Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tucson, Arizona, USA was built on top of not one, not two, but the first three of its original city cemeteries from the 19th century. Each time the city expanded, those pesky cemeteries were simply plucked of their headstones/grave markers and graded over to have houses and businesses built right on top of them as the 20th century marched on. Attempts were made from the second and third cemeteries to move the bodies and headstones beforehand to the (then) new cemeteries that replaced them, but most of the bodies were simply left in situ due to crooked undertakers, poor families that couldn't afford an exhumation, or simply because they were forgotten or had no living descendants left to give a poo poo about them.

Here's a short video that shows where the three cemeteries lay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr0vbJAdGUQ

The first cemetery from 1775 still lays underneath the street and buildings and remains relatively untouched. As shown in the video, the second National Cemetery had over a thousand burials painstakingly and archaeologically removed since the city razed some buildings that were on top of it to build a modern courthouse in the late 2000s. The remains were repatriated and reburied, some with full military honors since a lot of the remains came from the military portion of the cemetery. Here's some cool info and pictures about that:

https://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=86644
https://tucson.com/news/local/ceremony-marks-reburial-of-early-tucson-remains/article_6ddf36cd-0c66-58f2-aba8-07a23f24238b.html

There are probably more bodies still buried in the abandoned National Cemetery, but they are unreachable due the the railroad slicing through the top portion of the cemetery in the 1880s and the multiple warehouses that are just as old that are situated in the same area.

The third and final cemetery to be forgotten was called the Court Street Cemetery. After it was closed officially in 1909 by city developers, A large scale announcement was made that all bodies must be moved to the two new cemeteries way outside city limits (which both still exist, are still open, and have since been enveloped by the city). People were given three years to do so until the property was sold to the city around 1912. Just like the second cemetery, you had crooked undertakers and people that couldn’t afford to move remains, so by 1915, the city just redeveloped the land into a new neighborhood called Dunbar Spring. Over time, a Best Western hotel, another old hotel called the Sahara (which is now student housing), and a bank (since demolished) were also built on top of Court Street Cemetery. At least 4,000 burials remain, and every now and again, people living in the neighborhood find out the hard way when they get to digging. Here's some cool articles about burial finds from there:

https://desert.com/court-street/
https://desert.com/two-burials/
https://desert.com/burials-bank/

Any spooky history or legends that grace your city or town that are relatively unknown? Post them here for spooky October times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I dont live in San Jose anymore, but i grew up there and i lived real close to a park where there was a colony of albinos that lived in the back side of it rhat would catch you and eat you if you stayed out after dark

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Abraham Lincoln's funeral train has been said to show up near dusk on the anniversary of his death. Sightings can happen anywhere along the original train route but a lot are clustered around Chicago. People hear the whistle, or the train rumbling. Some will just see a speeding blur, while others describe the phantom train in great detail, even claiming to see it manned by a crew of skeletons. A switchman who worked for the railroad after Lincoln's death said the phantom train disregarded the switching he had done and kept going on the main tracks. They also say if the funeral train passes through an area the clocks will lose time or stop working.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Unless we start launching corpses into space everything is eventually going to become a cemetary

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

A giant snake lives behind Niagara Falls or possibly the edge of Niagara Falls is a giant dead snake or something, I don't remember

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Nooner posted:

I dont live in San Jose anymore, but i grew up there and i lived real close to a park where there was a colony of albinos that lived in the back side of it rhat would catch you and eat you if you stayed out after dark

yo those guys are hilarious

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw a skellerton

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There's a colony of albino skeletons that I've seen that live in the park that will steal you and bury you illegally under Lincoln's ghost train

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
i was born in the same hospital as gary glitter

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Devils Affricate posted:

Unless we start launching corpses into space everything is eventually going to become a cemetary

I live in America. It's already a cemetery.

The "Sunshine" Coast of Florida is called so because on Halloween night, the sun will shine brightly for three hours (9pm - 12am) and during this period, anyone touched by the light will grow ten times as strong but also lose cognitive function. This is actually why so many stories about "Florida Man" happen around the fall.

Convex posted:

i was born in the same hospital as gary glitter

Did a nurse dance down those steps from The Jokering movie with you as a baby?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I hear the train a comin
I can see albino heads
And Abe ain't seen the sunshine since
I don't know when

Yeah it's fucken Lincoln's Death Train
It comes for you and me

Albinos hanging off it
They're gonna torture me

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Oh if they take me from my kitchen
If albinos take my life
Before they do I'll ask Abe just why he's cursed to ride

Ride across the landscape
On a funeral train

Yeah Abraham Lincoln
And his albinos too

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gary Glitter's albino ghost drive's lincolns train past the same hospital a group of skeletons hang out in

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pittsburgh has the urban legend of "The Green Man". Depending on which version you heard, he was either:

1) A kid who climbed an electrical pole, got shocked and horribly disfigured so he lived in an abandoned house or the sewers. He glowed green due to the electricity that surged through him.

2) That same kid, except he died and his glowing green ghost haunted the area where he was killed

3) A steel worker who died from an electrical shock in the plant and whose green ghost wandered the streets he used to walk to work every day

In reality, he was a real dude named Raymond Robinson. He really had been shocked as a kid, climbing a pole to try and grab a bird's nest. He miraculously survived, but lost his eyes, nose, and right arm. He lived a quiet life with relatives who helped take care of him and liked to stay out of the public eye, so he started walking at night to avoid people. That's where the legend sprung up, since people would catch glimpses of him in their headlights and jump to the conclusion that he must be a ghost.

He also seemed pretty cool because he'd BS with people who brought him beer or cigarettes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Real story, there are some supposedly 'haunted' locations near my hometown...it's all bs and no real good story.
What always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up was that in my pretty small'ish home town, a river cuts through it.
At some point in the 1800's they decided "Well it freezes in the winter but it's not always safe to cross and we still want to move poo poo, let's dig tunnels underneath it" and those tunnels are still there, and you can get to them from the basements of certain buildings in town.
Most of the doors are in locked rooms and people won't tell you where they are because they don't want people using these ancient coal/whatever tunnels that run under the river that are just held up with big timbers.

They don't USE the tunnels anymore, but I just think about them, down there, sometimes, these old, extremely unsafe passageways under all that water, in the dark, and...eesh.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
We had the trial for the Lindbergh baby here.

And Keith Adolph Hitler Campbell as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
the albino ghost of general sherman will show up and burn everything down if you say "the south shall rise again" at the train tracks at midnight

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It's still covered in bullet holes and bomb scars from the Spanish Civil War.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Gary Glitter's albino ghost

good username here, if you're a psychopath

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

kntfkr posted:

We had the trial for the Lindbergh baby here.

was the baby found guilty?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know about my current city, but back home there is the "Screaming Tunnel".
Its somewhat famous having had some movies scenes shot there and whatnot.
Depending on who you talk to, the story is:
A: A nearby farm house was on fire and a little girl, also on fire, ran in to the tunnel and died.
B: A dude who lived in the farm house nearby went crazy, killed his family, and his daughter escaped, ran in to the tunnel, dude caught her, and set her on fire.
So legend has it when you go in there and light a match, or lighter or whatever the ghost of the dead girl will blow that poo poo out.
I've smoked weed in that tunnel and the ghost didn't seem to mind people coming in there to smoke mad treez so I guess she's kinda chilled out in the last few decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Tunnel

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Big Beef City posted:

was the baby found guilty?

I'm pretty sure the hopewell cops killed the baby or found it and left it on top of their car and drove off and then tried to cover it up because hopewell police are famously stupid. I don't know what happened in the trial cuz it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
A century ago a man was killed here. It was murder. Some say he is still dead.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Big Beef City posted:

Real story, there are some supposedly 'haunted' locations near my hometown...it's all bs and no real good story.
What always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up was that in my pretty small'ish home town, a river cuts through it.
At some point in the 1800's they decided "Well it freezes in the winter but it's not always safe to cross and we still want to move poo poo, let's dig tunnels underneath it" and those tunnels are still there, and you can get to them from the basements of certain buildings in town.
Most of the doors are in locked rooms and people won't tell you where they are because they don't want people using these ancient coal/whatever tunnels that run under the river that are just held up with big timbers.

They don't USE the tunnels anymore, but I just think about them, down there, sometimes, these old, extremely unsafe passageways under all that water, in the dark, and...eesh.

why didn't they just build a bridge?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 18, 2021

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
There's a small island to the south of the city, sort of an amusement park and resort type place with beaches and aquariums and hotels and rollercoasters. Also an old WW2 fortress built by the brits to fend off the Japanese. ( Didn't work — they invaded from the North instead. On stolen bicycles. ) The fortress today is a museum with some gun emplacements and bunkers for tourists to explore.

So in this fortress complex there's what used to be a guard shack. What's potentially spooky about it and not a lot of people know as they bumble around in there instagramming, it was used for a few years in the 90s to hold a modern-day political prisoner whose principal crime was opposing the ruling government fascist party who had been and remain in power since the founding of the country. He wrote incendiary articles and led a protest march. For these crimes the man was incarcerated for 23 years.

Because the man never recanted his opposition to the government, they decided to make a spectacle of his case and so shortly after his release from prison they imposed new sanctions on him and in 1989 banished him from the mainland. They specifically confined his movement to the one-room guard shack on the old fortress ground. This was a special diktat from the prime minister himself. So here's the perverse part about that arrangement. He was technically no longer in prison. So he was a free person. Technically. So he still had to pay rent. For the one-room guard shack that he was confined to. And buy and prepare his own food. But he had no money, because he had been in prison for 23 years. So they figured since he was confined to that place, they'd offer him a job as an assistant curator, you know to help with the fortress exhibits and such. The man rejected this generous offer since it would amount to a civil service position subject to strict restrictions against talking to the media without official permission.

By 1992 they let him leave the guard shack and move back to the mainland. Mr. Chia Thye Poh was nominated for the Nobel Peace Price in 2015.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

we have a pub which is built on the site where religious heretics were burned to death in the late middle ages, here's the sign they used:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
studio apartments start at around ~$1500 here

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

There's some old cement stairs that go from the road up the steep side of the hill up to the bluff that holds the big cemetery. I don't know what happens if you go up those stairs. Maybe a ghost gets you? Or you just see a ghost?

"Haunted Staircase, Greenwood Cemetery | Spokane Historical" https://spokanehistorical.org/items/show/77

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the street level of brattleboro vt was elevated one full storey and there's access doors to the hidden undervillage all up and down main st. i used to use the one in the movie theater men's bathroom.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Three! Three major Christian universities! Whole town is haunted by a dead messianic figure! Crazy poo poo!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

You can't drink in the strip clubs here. It's spooky just how much lamer they are because of that

naem
May 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

studio apartments start at around ~$1500 here

SpOoOoOoOokY

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

You can't drink in the strip clubs here. It's spooky just how much lamer they are because of that

So do people just show up already wasted?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we use the zip code and utility services of the nearest town but we're actually in an unincorporated part of the county

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

roomtone posted:

why didn't they just build a bridge?

They did. Which makes these tunnels even weirder and creepier.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So do people just show up already wasted?

I tried! Buzz didn't last long enough. And the strippers had to work extra hard to get lap dances because no one was drunk, so it led to so many awkward "my hot lesbian girlfriend and I are just so horny and ready to dance" pick ups. All I could order was like $6 diet cokes. Truly I was in hell.

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

There was a serial axe murderer in Austin Texas between the winters of 1884 and 1885, given the nickname "Servant Girl Annihilator."

SGA struck at random and was never caught.

6 of the 8 victims had a sharp instrument inserted into their ear canals.

Austin's famous "Moon Towers" were constructed as the city grew- ostensibly so one could read his pocket watch by the "light equal to that of a full moon," but it was largely in response to public safety after the murders. There are still a few of them left.

There's a great book by Skip Hollandsworth about the subject. It's also about the town itself and how it grew, after the Civil War. My main takeaway was how goddamn racist things were back then.

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Assassin-Scandal-Americas-Serial-ebook/dp/B015WAWL2M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_Girl_Annihilator

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 19, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LOLbertsons posted:

There was a serial axe murderer in Austin Texas between the winters of 1884 and 1885, given the nickname "Servant Girl Annihilator."

SGA struck at random and was never caught.

6 of the 8 victims had a sharp instrument inserted into their ear canals.

Austin's famous "Moon Towers" were constructed as the city grew- ostensibly so one could read his pocket watch by the "light equal to that of a full moon," but it was largely in response to public safety after the murders. There are still a few of them left.

There's a great book by Skip Hollandsworth about the subject. It's also about the town itself and how it grew, after the Civil War. My main takeaway was how goddamn racist things were back then.

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Assassin-Scandal-Americas-Serial-ebook/dp/B015WAWL2M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_Girl_Annihilator

Are parties at the moon tower a real thing?

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

Lol. Linklater is full of poo poo. Try climbing one and see how far you get before Austin PD plants drugs on you. Also, the actual Moon Towers are landmarks. Not in places where you'd have an out of the way kegger.

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Derpies at a moontower party, climbs to the top with a bunch of drunk/high people.

''just imagine how many people out there are tuggin' right now man. Just yankin' away".