Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've got a phone interview today, which is nice since I've only been actively applying for a couple of weeks now. I realize the advice in the OP for phone interviews is solid, it's just been years since I've had to do this so I'm slightly nervous. I just keep reminding myself it's mostly to make sure my resume isn't full of poo poo and that I can speak coherently and without sounding like a jerk.

With that said, what's the best way to ask what the next steps are? Just a "Thanks for reaching out. Would you know when I might hear back about another interview?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just ask "What are the next steps in the process?"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've got a phone interview today, which is nice since I've only been actively applying for a couple of weeks now. I realize the advice in the OP for phone interviews is solid, it's just been years since I've had to do this so I'm slightly nervous. I just keep reminding myself it's mostly to make sure my resume isn't full of poo poo and that I can speak coherently and without sounding like a jerk.

With that said, what's the best way to ask what the next steps are? Just a "Thanks for reaching out. Would you know when I might hear back about another interview?"

I would bullshit it up a bit more,

"I enjoyed our conversation today around how I might best fit into the team. I'm enthusiastic to further discuss how my set of skills could be leveraged to benefit [business], and am eager to meet again online, on the phone, or in person."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Thank you both! I think I'll just go with the simple "What are the next steps in the process?". Simple and to the point, which I'm sure a recruiter doing a ton of these calls will appreciate.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't give a poo poo what recruiters like, but I prefer the straight approach for sure. Wouldn't want to work anywhere where people are impressed with corporatese bullshit. YMMV.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Update, it went really really well.

Was able to glean a bunch of info from the recruiter and they sent me an assessment that so long as I pass, I move onto the next step which is apparently an informal conversation with the hiring manager before going onto the formal interview phase.

Also the compensation question came up, and I used the "Hey it's really early in the interview process so I don't really know what a fair compensation figure would be since I don't know too much about the role yet. Would you be able to provide me with a range or figure that I could use to help me figure out if we're in the same ballpark?" response.

Got a "oh yeah sure, here's the starting salary. Is that number acceptable to you?" response back, which was :stare: compared to my current salary so I just responded with "Yes, I believe that is a fair market rate for this kind of position." So uhh, always gonna do that from now on. But honestly just hope this opportunity works out.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Good luck! It's amazing how much of compensation negotiation comes down to "don't name a number first" and "ask for more".

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Not to brag, but I might have an offer on the table.

Do you guys have any golden advice or templates for writing a good resignation letter to exit gracefully?

I'm trying to avoid getting myself locked into consulting for the company until the end of time because deliverables are so unclear on projects.

There's no thread for this, AFAIK, and figured there'd be good experience in the thread.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Handsome Ralph posted:

Got a "oh yeah sure, here's the starting salary. Is that number acceptable to you?" response back, which was :stare: compared to my current salary so I just responded with "Yes, I believe that is a fair market rate for this kind of position." So uhh, always gonna do that from now on. But honestly just hope this opportunity works out.

It's too late now, and also not going to be hard to come back from it, but that was a slight mistake. A better answer would have been something like "That's a good starting point". There's always room to ask for more, go check out the negotiation thread. Even if it's 2 or 3x your current salary, might as well shoot for 3.5x and happily accept 3.2x for literally just asking "Can I please have some more?"

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
You don't need to go into lots of detail, just stick to the facts.

"I'm writing to advise that I am resigning from my role as Button Pusher effective *date*. Thank you for the opportunity to have worked here as I've learned a lot. Kind regards, etc"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Not to brag, but I might have an offer on the table.

Do you guys have any golden advice or templates for writing a good resignation letter to exit gracefully?

I'm trying to avoid getting myself locked into consulting for the company until the end of time because deliverables are so unclear on projects.

There's no thread for this, AFAIK, and figured there'd be good experience in the thread.

For what goes in writing just really simple. Date you're leaving, date you're giving notice. Don't put anything about reason or really any details. Keep a copy.

The letter is just a cya for any potential future disputes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Happiness Commando posted:

It's too late now, and also not going to be hard to come back from it, but that was a slight mistake. A better answer would have been something like "That's a good starting point". There's always room to ask for more, go check out the negotiation thread. Even if it's 2 or 3x your current salary, might as well shoot for 3.5x and happily accept 3.2x for literally just asking "Can I please have some more?"

Solid advice, thank you! Will def. drop that one if the opportunity presents itself again with compensation with this position, but if not, I'll have it on hand for next time. :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That said, I don't think you closed the door to negotiating up and its worth doing. They might just say "No, this offer is the offer" but no company worth working for will pull an offer entirely over a reasonable counter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

"I am quitting to pursue my dream of not having to work here."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Lockback posted:

That said, I don't think you closed the door to negotiating up and its worth doing. They might just say "No, this offer is the offer" but no company worth working for will pull an offer entirely over a reasonable counter.

Yeah, I figure this is the case. I didn't hard lock myself to the number they gave me (at least I don't think I did, I literally just said that figure sounded appropriate for the position not, "yeah that is an exact match of what I'm looking for").

The good news is, I passed the assessment test thing so that door is still open. Now it's on to meeting with the hiring manager for "an informal chat" though I was told it would last about 20-30 minutes and that if it went well, I'd then move on to the formal interview . No idea what the "informal chat" will entail (guessing mostly just to see if my personality clashes with the hiring manager? IDK, gonna treat it as an excuse to just ask a bunch of questions about the job), but it's over Zoom, so I figure I will wear my suit in any case.

Right now just trying to contain my feelings of :woop: and :ohdear: but it feels good getting back out there and at least getting bites this go around. Been with the same company for over ten years, so it's been awhile since I've really had to do this (beyond internal interviews for promotions and such).

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 6, 2021

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Eric the Mauve posted:

"I am quitting to pursue my dream of not having to work here."

Goodbye Felicia,
Employee Name

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Second interview today for the same position I had the phone interview for last week. It was with the hiring manager and it was a "are you a good fit?" type interview rather than the usual STAR one. Seemed like it went well. I asked the "Assuming I'm a good fit for this position, when is the anticipated start date?" at the end and got a detailed response so I'm optimistic about that. She said the third and final round of interviews will be next week, and that I will hear something by Friday if I'm selected for the next stage. Gonna continue to apply to stuff in the meantime but the wait's gonna kill me a bit :ohdear:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Took the threads advice.

I have an interview at 430 today for an HRIS Project Manager role. I'm a little nervous because while I am qualified for it, its a little outside my comfort zone.

(also have an interview for Payroll Manager role tomorrow, based in HR and not finance, so i am hopeful.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dude I'm sorry, hate to burst your bubble and all that, but unless it's a company too tiny to have a real HR person you are not going to get any job that has "Payroll" in the title.

Rooting for you to get the PM gig though, if it's a decent company. A niche like that would be real good for you to settle into for a few years.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rooting for you on PM role too! There are way worse niches to swing in to for a little bit

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Considering I was payroll and HRIS at my current company until 2019, I’ve got plenty of experience

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’ve been recommended by someone high up in a major company to another large company, which is surprising, humbling, and scaring me to death. My most recent resume was slapped together after realizing how badly I needed to change jobs, and my portfolio is a weird blend of ancient work and a splash of brand new concepts. I’ve been catapulted from retail to referrals to popular brand companies in 2 years, and it’s giving me whiplash.

I have a call with the department lead in the morning, and I’m trying to keep myself together. I’m used to doing formal interviews, which are mostly practiced answers with strategic humor/humanity mixed in… I can’t imagine this should go any differently.

Out of curiosity, what should my LinkedIn profile look like relative to my resume? Should I be more detailed about my job descriptions on LinkedIn, or should the resume and my profile look similar/the same?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Resume and LinkedIn should generally be the same, but you'll probably want to limit your resume to 1 page (assuming less than 10 years of experience), but LinkedIn can be as long as you want and you'll want to stuff it with the keywords recruiters in your industry are searching for.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

sim posted:

Resume and LinkedIn should generally be the same, but you'll probably want to limit your resume to 1 page (assuming less than 10 years of experience), but LinkedIn can be as long as you want and you'll want to stuff it with the keywords recruiters in your industry are searching for.

That makes sense—thank you! I worry about overdoing LinkedIn, but I can definitely list keywords for years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

broken pixel posted:

That makes sense—thank you! I worry about overdoing LinkedIn, but I can definitely list keywords for years.

I wouldn't worry too much about overdoing linkedin. I'd pare away anything that has no relevance (Do we need to know about your years as a sandwich artist?) and I'd say keep each role to a reasonable amount, but it's a good place to show your whole history if that is advantageous. Resume should be much more tailored to the specific role.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Took the threads advice.

I have an interview at 430 today for an HRIS Project Manager role. I'm a little nervous because while I am qualified for it, its a little outside my comfort zone.

(also have an interview for Payroll Manager role tomorrow, based in HR and not finance, so i am hopeful.)

Update: I have a second interview with HRIS project manager this afternoon.

I had a second for the payroll role yesterday and another on on Tuesday - the hiring manager I met with also has a recent bankruptcy haha.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Didn't hear anything back on Friday from the recruiter about my interview last week with the hiring manager and if I was selected to go onto the final round, so I figured I didn't make it. Was a little down about it but chalked it up as experience either way.

Got an email this evening letting me know the hiring manager liked me and that I've made it to the final round of interviews :woop:

So the final round is three interviews for 30 minutes each. One with a team lead, one with a unit director iirc, and another with an internal client. Got about a week and a half to prep for it. Nervous but I made it this far. Worst case scenario, I don't get it but I get some interview experience out of it and still have my current job to fall back on. Best case scenario :homebrew:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Tomorrow interview, and I would probably need help to figure out what is to be expected.

As background, this is a position as a director of an international programme (DoE funded) in a (US) university. I need to make a presentation of my work life and plans for the programme, which I think is ok for this kind of position. The main interview is with the international community representatives, which also should be ok (or not, but I don't think anyone can help with that).

The second (back-to-back!) interview is a thing I do not know so much about. It is with the PI and "university representatives". I have no clue what they are intending to ask. Is this more like "are you sure you would like to move to us?" or something really weird. I have no experience on US academic interviews, so I don't know what to expect Any experiences or pointers would be appreciated.

This could be of course just practicalities on salary expectations, etc, but I don't know...

Also, what kinds of things *I should* ask on these situations? Vacation/sick days? Moving allowance? Health insurance they advertised already earlier, but is there something crucial I should ask for?

Starting to get a little worried here..

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Letmebefrank posted:

Tomorrow interview, and I would probably need help to figure out what is to be expected.

As background, this is a position as a director of an international programme (DoE funded) in a (US) university. I need to make a presentation of my work life and plans for the programme, which I think is ok for this kind of position. The main interview is with the international community representatives, which also should be ok (or not, but I don't think anyone can help with that).

The second (back-to-back!) interview is a thing I do not know so much about. It is with the PI and "university representatives". I have no clue what they are intending to ask. Is this more like "are you sure you would like to move to us?" or something really weird. I have no experience on US academic interviews, so I don't know what to expect Any experiences or pointers would be appreciated.

This could be of course just practicalities on salary expectations, etc, but I don't know...

Also, what kinds of things *I should* ask on these situations? Vacation/sick days? Moving allowance? Health insurance they advertised already earlier, but is there something crucial I should ask for?

Starting to get a little worried here..

Academia is its own thing so if there isn't someone in this thread who has gone through this maybe check the grad school thread or see if a similar thing exists in Science Academia Languages.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I will update with more info when I’m home but these types of interviews are very standard in academia and you should not be asking HR style questions.

For my last academic job I had two days of interviews, almost all of them with panels.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

For administrative/non-teaching positions, the hiring process in academia can be... a lot. There's typically three parts: meeting with the search committee/meeting with the Dean/unit head (this is the part that really matters), a public presentation with a wide invitation set (matters, but somewhat less), and a series of "panels" with people with whom the position works with (this matters a lot less). These interviews are generally back-to-back. If you're lucky they might buy you lunch!

It sounds like you're concerned about this last part. Typically in these types of panels you're going to meet with a variety basket of people whose work/role is somewhat related to the position you're interviewing for. They could be someone who does the same type of work but elsewhere on campus, it could be someone who works for an office effected by your work, or it could be some random person they shoe-horned in to try to have a "diverse" panel.

These panels will operate in one of two ways: they'll either have a set of questions provided to them by the search committee that they'll ask of every candidate, or they'll have no questions and just want to have a conversation with you. The entire point of these interviews is to get a sense of you as a person and make sure you're tolerable to work with.

As terms of questions for you to ask, do not ask anything HR related. None of these people will have any involvement in things like leave or health insurance - at any decent sized university all of that is handled by entirely separate departments and is not typically something that can be negotiated because it's set. Instead, ask them what they're looking to see for a person in this role. Ask about their work. Ask about opportunities for professional development, travel and publishing (as appropriate).

For salary discussion, that will either be handled (most likely) by the department's budget/HR person, or rarely by the search committee themselves. Talking about money in these rooms would be a major red flag IME.

If you can provide some more information on the job I can probably provide more specific feedback.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are you supposed to network if you've graduated college?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Go out drinking with colleagues at every opportunity, join professional associations if applicable, and find and join some kind of group centered around an active hobby (NOT games) or a rec sports league, something along those lines.

It dawned on many of us too late what college is really for.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Had my interview today - first video interview, so weird.

I think it went well. Hope I'll hear back soon. This isn't my dream job but it's a bit better than a fully lateral move so I'm happy about it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Go out drinking with colleagues at every opportunity, join professional associations if applicable, and find and join some kind of group centered around an active hobby (NOT games) or a rec sports league, something along those lines.

It dawned on many of us too late what college is really for.

I'm social but I haven't been able to make connections with anybody. Not really in contact with anyone I used to be friends with anymore.

Just seems like college has been a wash for me. I just made bad mistakes at every corner. Now I feel like I will get nowhere. I'm a failure of a human being.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:therapy:

No, really. I'm not taking the piss here. Sounds like you need some help gaining perspective, and you should focus on that before you focus on making friends.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm social but I haven't been able to make connections with anybody. Not really in contact with anyone I used to be friends with anymore.

Just seems like college has been a wash for me. I just made bad mistakes at every corner. Now I feel like I will get nowhere. I'm a failure of a human being.

You’re finishing college with ADHD, that’s something worth celebrating. College for me was not set up for success with ADHD at all, so to actually see it through is a big deal personal success wise.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

Don’t feel bad: I’ve got no friends from high school or college and because I can’t drink I’ve never been able to build relationships that last at any company I’ve ever worked for. I’m lucky I found someone wonderful to marry because otherwise I’d be lonely as Hell.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Oh yea I also don’t hang out with anyone I knew from high school or college. Met most of my friends and wife through swing and blues dancing. loving pandemic. EDIT: and a goon I've been friends with since 2009.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Trip report: nothing like an interview to make you painfully aware of how basic your recent employer's offerings are.