Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I finished Sunreach. Overall it was quite good, and I like FM as the POV character. I can't say I was fan of Jorgen's miraculous escape but it was pretty obvious it was coming.

One thing that did bother me was that the Superiority is supposed to be a massive organisation controlling several planets, but can barely scrape together a dozen fighters to take out a "rogue" Minister, or send more than a single ship to deal with the DDF.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The superiority are ostensibly nonaggressive pacifists, so presumably they have logistical issues putting together a military

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tunicate posted:

The superiority are ostensibly nonaggressive pacifists, so presumably they have logistical issues putting together a military

i think i had a stroke reading this

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The superiority are really bad at war, makes you wonder how humans ever lost in the first place to be honest. In the first war they also had allies that where quite advanced.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure that'll get expanded upon when Sanderson inevitably decides to turn Skyward into a trilogy of trilogies at some point :v:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

His Divine Shadow posted:

The superiority are really bad at war, makes you wonder how humans ever lost in the first place to be honest. In the first war they also had allies that where quite advanced.

They probably lost cause the delver/s attacked them

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
ReDawn cover reveal:

Alanik's bone protrusions aren't as obvious as I thought they would be. Drops in 20 days.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So far, I'm finding Warbreaker to be one of the most fun Sanderson stories yet. Real big fan of basically every single pov character.

Sixth of Dusk was also really cool. It's probably my second favorite arcanum story after Emperor's Soul, with Shadows for Silence in a clean 3rd place. I'm saving Edgedancer until after I finish Warbreaker so I can go right into Oathbringer and Rhythm of War, which will be the last leg of my Cosmere marathon until I'm caught up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tweet my meat posted:

So far, I'm finding Warbreaker to be one of the most fun Sanderson stories yet. Real big fan of basically every single pov character.

Sixth of Dusk was also really cool. It's probably my second favorite arcanum story after Emperor's Soul, with Shadows for Silence in a clean 3rd place. I'm saving Edgedancer until after I finish Warbreaker so I can go right into Oathbringer and Rhythm of War, which will be the last leg of my Cosmere marathon until I'm caught up.

Don't forget Dawnshard. It comes right before Rhythm of War, just like Edgedancer comes right before Oathbringer.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I just got to the end of Well of Ascension, and I think it wrapped up nicely.

A few spoiler type things:

I was really mislead about the Well until the last minute. I assumed that it would be some sort of shard (only knowing about that from the tidbits at the end of dawnshard) but then the fact that it was some malignant deity that had been trapped was a huge twist. It feels like the definition of 'evil' for this god is very different from how Odium behaves, so I'm wondering how much (if any) crossover there is.

I also really, truly thought that the bead of metal in the room would be the inverse of Atium, and in stead of letting you move forward, it would let Vin travel back and prevent the mist spirit from killing Elend.

The fact that the steel inquisitors took the bodies of the keepers doesn't bode well. If the inquisitor-making process has any aspect of resurrection, then it's going to be terrifying that there will be a bunch of evil, powerful feruchemist/allomancers waiting in the shadows during the next book. I was also a bit bummed about how things turned out for Marsh- I guess there is something greater that controls the inquisitors. I was expecting him to come back and be a good guy again. I'm also sad they didn't double-tap and kill him after his injury. Everything else in the book is is very brutal and thorough, while he was down they should have taken a few seconds to pull that spike out. I guess he's necessary for the plot of the next book, but leaving him there to escape doesn't feel consistent with what had happened earlier.

I was feeling a bit tired of hearing (listening on audiobook) the repeat of the same snippets of the old steel rubbing that I felt like I had all heard before, but it was such a fantastic reveal at the end. The idea that whatever it is can manipulate both writing and metal minds sets up all sorts of fun stuff for unreliable histories.

I saw someone rank it as fairly low on the collection of sanderson books, and I probably agree. It wasn't the best, and there were a few bits that dragged on/bothered me, but overall I enjoyed it.

I've already got Hero Of Ages downloaded- is that a good place to go next? Should i jump over to Arcanum unbound at some point? I've already read all of Stormlight, and also warbreaker.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

road potato posted:

I've already got Hero Of Ages downloaded- is that a good place to go next?

Yeah, absolutely.

John Locke
Aug 31, 2004

Bad things happen to people who hang around with me.

road potato posted:

I've already got Hero Of Ages downloaded- is that a good place to go next? Should i jump over to Arcanum unbound at some point? I've already read all of Stormlight, and also warbreaker.

As someone who literally just finished Hero of Ages, 100% yes. I also started with Stormlight, then read Warbreaker and just finished up Mistborn Era 1. On to Alloy of Law!

e: Hoid and Era 1: I know Hoid isn't as big a presence in Mistborn E1 as he is in Stormlight but I feel like I may have missed some of his appearances. I know he was a Luthadel beggar in Final Empire and Vin almost talked to him in Hero of Ages but her instinct called her off. Was he the Allomancer that kept chasing her in Fadrex or did that turn out to be Ruin?

John Locke fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 9, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

John Locke posted:

As someone who literally just finished Hero of Ages, 100% yes. I also started with Stormlight, then read Warbreaker and just finished up Mistborn Era 1. On to Alloy of Law!

e: Hoid and Era 1: Was he the Allomancer that kept chasing her in Fadrex or did that turn out to be Ruin?

The latter.

mewse
May 2, 2006

road potato posted:

I've already got Hero Of Ages downloaded- is that a good place to go next?

Yep

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

So, I've finished Stormlight. I enjoyed it all even though Rhythm felt like an absolute slog at times. What would be a good series to move onto next, maybe something with not-so-powerful magic?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

So, I've finished Stormlight. I enjoyed it all even though Rhythm felt like an absolute slog at times. What would be a good series to move onto next, maybe something with not-so-powerful magic?

The First Law series, starting with The Blade Itself

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

scary ghost dog posted:

The First Law series, starting with The Blade Itself

I'll second this, but it can be very, very brutal. That's not a bad thing, I enjoy them but I really need to be in the right headspace to enjoy them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Torrannor posted:

The latter.

Neither actually.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Neither actually.

Right, I confused this with another situation! It's been a while since I read Secret History.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Maybe mix it up with the Rivers of London series lol

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Slanderer posted:

Maybe mix it up with the Rivers of London series lol

Aw yes. This one is great!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I always recommend Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series for people that like Sanderson's rigid magic rule set with logical if surprising and clever exploits. In a world with wizards that can teleport and explode things and freeze them and shield themselves and kill with a touch, he can... see a few minutes into the future. Sometimes longer if the circumstances are right, but usually only when nobody else is involved.

And because everyone underestimates him and his abilities he consistently punches way above his weight

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finished Oathbringer, it was amazing. Hard to believe I'm already on the home stretch of the Cosmere marathon. I just have to read Dawnshard and then Rhythm of War, which comes out in paperback in a week or two luckily, and I'll be fully caught up with the exception of Whitesand which I may or may not wind up getting.

It's been a fun ride, never really got burnt out on any of the stories, though I do hear Rhythm of War can be a bit slow, and I also know the big spoiler about how Kaladin's plotline works out in Rhythm, which is a shame to know ahead of time, but luckily I don't get too bothered by being spoiled and the rest of the book is still a mystery to me.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Weekly update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T03rKoxkBpw

Nothing really too new, but he keeps mentioning "movie stuff [he] can't talk about" so we better get some updates on a Mistborn movie in this year's State of the Sanderson.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Rhythm of War will be received better by people in the future reading the series for the first time, when they can immediately read Stones Unhallowed (or whatever book 5 is called), similar to how Crossroads of Twilight was better received by readers who could go straight to Knife of Dreams, or Well of Ascension when the first MIstborn trilogy was complete. It's imho a fine book on it's own, but it does suffer a bit from obviously needing to set up the midseries finale.

Leng posted:

Weekly update:

Nothing really too new, but he keeps mentioning "movie stuff [he] can't talk about" so we better get some updates on a Mistborn movie in this year's State of the Sanderson.

Can't really believe we get WoT as a series and maybe Mistborn as a movie. Or a trilogy of movies?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Torrannor posted:

I think Rhythm of War will be received better by people in the future reading the series for the first time, when they can immediately read Stones Unhallowed (or whatever book 5 is called), similar to how Crossroads of Twilight was better received by readers who could go straight to Knife of Dreams, or Well of Ascension when the first MIstborn trilogy was complete. It's imho a fine book on it's own, but it does suffer a bit from obviously needing to set up the midseries finale.

Can't really believe we get WoT as a series and maybe Mistborn as a movie. Or a trilogy of movies?

Maybe as an anime 😂.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd be on board with a Mistborn anime from the team who did Castlevania.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Leng posted:

Weekly update:

Do you get to play Magic with Sanderson at the draft?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The original Mistborn trilogy should be a show with 8 episode seasons.
The Wax & Wayne series should be films.
Mistborn Secret History should be anime.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Do you get to play Magic with Sanderson at the draft?

I wouldnt put it past him to play

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Langolas posted:

I wouldnt put it past him to play

Brandon's a big magic nerd. He used to play with readers at his signings. But I think he's too popular to really do that these days.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Fezz posted:

Brandon's a big magic nerd. He used to play with readers at his signings. But I think he's too popular to really do that these days.

I first met him playing magic at my buddy's store before I found out he was an author ;).

And no, he's not too popular here in Utah to get in trouble going to the store to play magic. He still does it from time to time. Mostly people don't recognize/know him. Those that do recognize him generally know him already or he'll sign an autograph and play a game with the fan. He's a pretty class act when it comes to working with his fans.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I played Magic with him at the first Writing Excuses retreat. He brought this enormous cube with all the colors and decks and then there were like 8 of us who went through and built decks. I sucked and got eliminated in like 5 minutes. Side note, Brandon cooked dinner for everyone that night, and I'll let you guess what it was It was a huge cauldron of Mac and Cheese with like 8 pounds of 5 different cheeses.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if the WoT TV series will boost Brandon's works as well. My fist Sanderson book was Elantris, and I didn't bother with other Sanderson books because Elantris didn't impress me. It was only when it was announced that he would finish Wheel of Time that I read the Mistborn books. If people like the TV show, they might want to look into the books and find more works from the authors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if the WoT TV series will boost Brandon's works as well. My fist Sanderson book was Elantris, and I didn't bother with other Sanderson books because Elantris didn't impress me. It was only when it was announced that he would finish Wheel of Time that I read the Mistborn books. If people like the TV show, they might want to look into the books and find more works from the authors.

Eye of the World is *already* back on the bestsellers list, so presuming people who start reading eventually finish, then probably yeah.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eye of the World is *already* back on the bestsellers list, so presuming people who start reading eventually finish, then probably yeah.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the books transition to Sanderson finishing them. I read most of his books over the last couple of years and started through Wheel of Time earlier in the year. Partway through book 5 so still a long way to go before Sanderson jumps in.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just finished The Way of Kings followed by Words of Radiance after a week of frenzied reading. It was a friend’s recommendation, my first Sanderson since reading Mistborn >10y ago, which made almost zero impression on me at the time. I feel like I’ve just eaten my way through a massive bag of sweets in one go – it was enjoyable at the time but I now feel regretful and a bit sick and have no idea whether I want to do it again.

the Good:
- Getting the obvious out of the way - it has magic armour, ridiculous anime swords, gravity-bending ninjas, aerial duels in the middle of two simultaneous hurricanes - when it comes to people each other with weapons it's gloriously, unapologetically OTT and sometimes that's all you need.
- I genuinely like the character writing, particularly Kaladin. I like that he comes across to everyone as a bitter, sullen jerk rather than a irresistible brooding hero, how his attitude grates on people regardless of his very understandable reasons for being that way. It's definitely one of the better written depictions of capital-D depression in SFF lit. I especially liked the bit where he realizes that Shallan is every bit as traumatized but handling it in a different way.
- I expected Dalinar’s story to be just another episode of “straightforward soldiers good, slippery decadent politicians bad” so I was pleasantly surprised by his arc going in precisely the opposite direction. I was particularly struck by his big realization at the end of WoK that just leading by example isn't enough - sometimes you need the big stick to get people in line. It felt cynical in a thoughtful, adult way, rather than the exhausting "the world is just poo poo forever" Abercrombie/GRRM approach.
- I really like the natural history aspect of the worldbuilding, this whole ecosystem of plants and animals adapted to the storms, with our familiar Earth animals confined to the bit where the storms have dissipated. It's neat that it's something people are interested within the story as well, and that there's an active scientific community in the background. Plus the focus on just how hard it is to glean reliable information from ancient history.
- I like all the little side stories about stuff going on in the rest of the world. I don't know if they're all connected to the meta-plot but I think I'd prefer it if they weren't. Just cool interludes about traders and burglars and cobblers. Except the frictionless thief kid, who is incredibly annoying.

the Bad:
- The social/cultural worldbuilding feels a bit superficial. Literacy being exclusive to women seems like it should be a fundamental aspect of the setting, rather than just a weird twist on an otherwise standard faux-medieval European gender dynamic. Likewise the whole darkeyes/lighteyes thing feels very rote. Sanderson keeps teasing that there's a whole world of high-caste darkeyes/low-caste lighteyes which is much more interesting, so why don't we get to see it? Maybe I've been spoiled by the Baru Cormorant books idk
- A very personal bugbear: my ~immersion~ took a hell of a beating from his haphazard use of anachronistic modern language. Two examples that stuck with me for some reason: fantasy warrior aristocrat telling his subordinates to withdraw if something "seems off"; fantasy proto-feminist tract using "progressive" with its specifically 20th-Century meaning of "socially and economically liberal" - but it happens almost every other page. I'm not demanding Tolkien levels of "Anglo-Saxon words only or gtfo" but I'm a pedant who'd just like some drat consistency.
- I'm sorry but Kaladin is a really dumb name

the Both Good and Bad:
- the names Propernouns are all so incredibly on the nose, it's like it was written by a 14-year-old whose first exposure to fantasy was World of Warcraft and still thinks it's the most awesome thing ever. Ghostblood Stormblessed Everstorm Honorblade Voidbringer Lighteyes Windrunner
- even in a field that's filled with "Book 1 of the Forever Trilogy Quintet Sequence" the first book has a remarkably high setup:payoff ratio. The comparison point I kept coming back to was The Eye of the World - both series have a similarly monumental scope and premise (revive ancient magic to unite the entire world against Ancient Evil) but EotW lays out the premise right from the very start, establishes most of the main characters and tells a relatively self-contained story in its own right with a clear objective and antagonist. (Now I think about it, that's also true for Mistborn, which I know has like 17 sequels). By contrast, the world has barely changed between the start and end of WoK, and 2 of our 3 heroes don't even know what the overarching goal is. Instead, most of the book is spent setting up Kaladin and Dalinar's (but noticeably not Shallan's) character arcs. I don't think this is a bad thing per se but I'm pretty sure his publisher would never have let him get away with it if he weren't already an established fantasy author. You want to write how many books in this series? (Also starting off with awesome gravity magic and then not having it appear again until the next book is pretty ballsy.)

writing all that has helped me conclude that I probably will read the remaining books, though it hurts knowing that it'll be a good decade before it all wraps up. are the novellas worth reading?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Reminder that ReDawn is dropping today (or tomorrow for you folks in the Western hemisphere)!

I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not to buy it. On the one hand, I do want to read it before Cytonic comes out and Sanderson just put in a personal plea in the latest YouTube weekly update video for people to buy it because apparently his publisher is scared no one will buy it.

On the other hand, while I liked Sunreach, I kinda felt the characters were just slightly off, which I put down to the novella being written by Janci instead of Brandon. But last night I did read a Janci standalone that was on a free promotion and the writing was pretty good, so it's not that she can't write. Maybe I'll have less of an issue because ReDawn is from Alanik's POV.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gato posted:

- A very personal bugbear: my ~immersion~ took a hell of a beating from his haphazard use of anachronistic modern language. Two examples that stuck with me for some reason: fantasy warrior aristocrat telling his subordinates to withdraw if something "seems off";

is that really an anachronism? it's an extremely old fashioned usage

your broader point isn't wrong, but i've just never once thought of that phrase as particularly current and modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gato posted:

J
- A very personal bugbear: my ~immersion~ took a hell of a beating from his haphazard use of anachronistic modern language. Two examples that stuck with me for some reason: fantasy warrior aristocrat telling his subordinates to withdraw if something "seems off"; fantasy proto-feminist tract using "progressive" with its specifically 20th-Century meaning of "socially and economically liberal" - but it happens almost every other page. I'm not demanding Tolkien levels of "Anglo-Saxon words only or gtfo" but I'm a pedant who'd just like some drat consistency.
?

Yeah this sort of thing was one of the most jarring shifts when Sanderson took over WoT. Twelve books in and suddenly the word "politics" shows up and you realize Jordan had n
*never* used it. Would have been fine without the contrast but the shift made it far too noticeable for comfort.