Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If anyone is wondering what else might be on that, I recently stumbled on this:

https://twitter.com/valdasine/status/1279257431160348672
I also get a regular trickle of people coming to the two things I put in the bundle from https://randombundlegame.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I need to run a spooky one shot over voice chat with 19 hours to prep. Please point me at something that's cheap, quick to learn, and comes with modules or sample adventures. Ideally not Lovecraft related, zombies a plus.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Splicer posted:

I need to run a spooky one shot over voice chat with 19 hours to prep. Please point me at something that's cheap, quick to learn, and comes with modules or sample adventures. Ideally not Lovecraft related, zombies a plus.

A Wizard?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

10 Candles with uhhhh virtual tealights. I guess this would only work if you do a vidcall

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

10 Candles with uhhhh virtual tealights. I guess this would only work if you do a vidcall
Looking for a bit more crunch.

Leraika posted:

A Wizard?
Can you present this in a more easily searched format?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A Wizard is just that. He wears a pointed hat.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Splicer posted:

Slasher Flick?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

A Wizard is just that. He wears a pointed hat.
Thanks! That's slightly more content warnings than I'm looking for.

King of Solomon posted:

Slasher Flick?
Oh what's that one like slasher flick but in space?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alien? Mothership?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Splicer posted:

A Warm and Pleasant Hum.

If you got that huge Itch.io bundle a while back you should already own it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tribe 8 is getting a new edition(!).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of spooky stuff had a dream last night where out of nowhere the Moon just blows up(mind you not the whole thing, just like part of it), and that definitely feels like the kind of scenario you could mine at least a one shot from, with or without any additional supernatural stuff happening as well

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Splicer posted:

Spire and Heart work pretty well for one shots and pretty simple/rules lite but have some mechanics. Spire at least had an excellent 2 books in strata and Shadow Operations.
Including the group basically getting Wicker Man'd. Strata's stuff was made more variable length, but Shadow Operations were designed as 1 shots mostly. Anything Spire is pretty married to its setting though, much like Blades.

Where you looking more for a full game or just interesting hooks? Also was this supposed to be like a slasher where the players are getting killed off or just spooky stuff? I found 6 bites for 6 princes from the racial justice itch.io bundle was a fun slightly creepy jumping off point but it's not really a fully fleshed out anything -just a map and vague backstory to see what players do when presented with the situation.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of spooky stuff had a dream last night where out of nowhere the Moon just blows up(mind you not the whole thing, just like part of it), and that definitely feels like the kind of scenario you could mine at least a one shot from, with or without any additional supernatural stuff happening as well

If the moon blows up like this, does it end the werewolf threat (because there's no longer a full moon at all) or make it much, much worse (because now there are a bunch of separate moon bits around the earth and some of them are bound to be fully illuminated at pretty much all times)

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Johnny Landmine posted:

If the moon blows up like this, does it end the werewolf threat (because there's no longer a full moon at all) or make it much, much worse (because now there are a bunch of separate moon bits around the earth and some of them are bound to be fully illuminated at pretty much all times)

They're perma- slightly hairy and hangry

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
According to Space Station 13, an incomplete werewolf is a werebassethound.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

I have been waiting for this for so long, hell yes. Curious to see how they'll leverage FitD for it, hopefully it's not just an excuse to do a lazy reskin.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Kestral posted:

I have been waiting for this for so long, hell yes. Curious to see how they'll leverage FitD for it, hopefully it's not just an excuse to do a lazy reskin.

"External design team" tells me it's a labor of love, not a cash grab.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't really know what you want from spookiness but Broken Spire definitely has ghosts and some elements of horror and is very, very ready to run as a one shot, if you know base Blades in the Dark.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I had a dumb idea for a "horror" TRPG that's a Dead by Daylight-like where you play as Kobolds/Gobbos trying to hide and escape from XP-grinding mid-level adventurers who while being able to be deceived and tricked, are nigh-unkillable by the players. You have to work out on stuff like trying to put traps somewhere away from the rogue or avoid the sharp senses of the animal companions, get out of range from the wizard's detection spells and the like.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Farmed by Faerun

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I'm surprised Dream Pod 9 is still around. Looking at their website they seem to be only into minis these days.

I liked Jovian Chronicles.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Splicer posted:

Horror Rules is the go-to for a good friend of mine.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CitizenKeen posted:

"External design team" tells me it's a labor of love, not a cash grab.

I agree with that, the people behind it are definitely fans, god bless them. Unfortunately even real fans of a work have fallen prey to the siren song of "make a lazy PBTA hack for the thing we love because it's easy and it's the current design hotness." See: Interstitial and potentially the Avatar RPG.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vadun posted:

A Warm and Pleasant Hum.

If you got that huge Itch.io bundle a while back you should already own it.
I never bought it because I forgot and missed the deadline. Why I forgot and missed the deadline is closely related to why I'm now trying to prepare a spooky session with 9 hours prep time.

Coolness Averted posted:

Spire and Heart work pretty well for one shots and pretty simple/rules lite but have some mechanics. Spire at least had an excellent 2 books in strata and Shadow Operations.
Including the group basically getting Wicker Man'd. Strata's stuff was made more variable length, but Shadow Operations were designed as 1 shots mostly. Anything Spire is pretty married to its setting though, much like Blades.

Where you looking more for a full game or just interesting hooks? Also was this supposed to be like a slasher where the players are getting killed off or just spooky stuff? I found 6 bites for 6 princes from the racial justice itch.io bundle was a fun slightly creepy jumping off point but it's not really a fully fleshed out anything -just a map and vague backstory to see what players do when presented with the situation.
I should probably have just said "Hey I want to run something like AFMBE's coffee break of the dead but with less 90s jank"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 19, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kestral posted:

I agree with that, the people behind it are definitely fans, god bless them. Unfortunately even real fans of a work have fallen prey to the siren song of "make a lazy PBTA hack for the thing we love because it's easy and it's the current design hotness." See: Interstitial and potentially the Avatar RPG.

I still feel dumb that when I tried "I'm going to apply Vincent Baker's design philosophy to make a version of Promethean where the rules aren't hateful spaghetti" I wound up making the same stats as AW.

Legend of the Elements is a pretty straight, canonical even, AW-hack, but credit to those fans they did at least make the harm system 1) make more sense for Avatar and 2) more fiction-driven than even AW.

Plutonis posted:

I had a dumb idea for a "horror" TRPG that's a Dead by Daylight-like where you play as Kobolds/Gobbos trying to hide and escape from XP-grinding mid-level adventurers who while being able to be deceived and tricked, are nigh-unkillable by the players. You have to work out on stuff like trying to put traps somewhere away from the rogue or avoid the sharp senses of the animal companions, get out of range from the wizard's detection spells and the like.

I genuinely like this. Not sure who I'd play it with, but I do like it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kestral posted:

Kargo Kult: Divinity Lost

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bbcisdabomb posted:

Horror Rules is the go-to for a good friend of mine.
I'm going to be panic running trail of cthulhu but definitely checking this out for future use

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm surprised Dream Pod 9 is still around. Looking at their website they seem to be only into minis these days.

I liked Jovian Chronicles.

Jovian Chronicles was one of the first RPGs I ever got, I have almost the entire second edition line still. I wish they'd do more with it besides minis. Heavy Gear was good too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dream Pod 9 also did a really neat fighting card game called Video Fighter that was packaged in a VHS tape case and when they were still Ianus Publications released some truly weird supplements for R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk including Night's Edge, Grimm's Cybertales, and the Media Junkie and Necrology scenarios.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I have dim memories of them putting gay relationships in the Heavy Gear metaplot as well like it was no big deal, back in the late 90s. Anyone else remember that?

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

hyphz posted:

Did they change the book content too?

Lost Worlds Giant Goblin on the left, Queen's Blade Risty on the right!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wheeljack posted:

Lost Worlds Giant Goblin on the left, Queen's Blade Risty on the right!

Haw haw I recognized the cover artist as one of the guys who worked on QB but not that it was a full on crossover

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, thread, what games do interesting things with domain management? The examples I know of are Ars Magica, which has a pretty engaging (if not overly fiddly) system built around playing as part of a covenant, Spellbound Kingdoms, which has some pretty interesting systems to support PC-managed organizations, and Pendragon, which sort of half-asses an estate management simulator. What else is out there?

I'm mostly thinking about RPGs, but if any wargames or even boardgames do something interesting, I'm all ears.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Haystack posted:

So, thread, what games do interesting things with domain management? The examples I know of are Ars Magica, which has a pretty engaging (if not overly fiddly) system built around playing as part of a covenant, Spellbound Kingdoms, which has some pretty interesting systems to support PC-managed organizations, and Pendragon, which sort of half-asses an estate management simulator. What else is out there?

I'm mostly thinking about RPGs, but if any wargames or even boardgames do something interesting, I'm all ears.
HarnManor.

HarnManor.

HARNMANOR

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

HarnManor.

HarnManor.

HARNMANOR

My great escapist fantasy isn't to be a super buff courageous hero wielding a great hammer, but to be a middle manager deciding which proportions of barley and hay to grow.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
harnmanor

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is exactly the kind of management crunch my 5e campaign's wizard is always asking for but would be super pissed off to actually have to deal with

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My great escapist fantasy isn't to be a super buff courageous hero wielding a great hammer, but to be a middle manager deciding which proportions of barley and hay to grow.
He's called a reeve, you uncultured swine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The best detail is near the bottom of the first image, where you can see that the rules require that your lord actually have to make a roll in order to convince his serfs to change what they're planting.