Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The issue is that the best Batman cartoon after TAS is Brave and the Bold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that the best Batman cartoon after TAS is Brave and the Bold.

That's a weird way to spell Harley Quinn.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think BATB edges out the Harley show because Batman is great in it (maybe even the best Batman?), while Harley is arguably the worst part of her own show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watched the first few episodes of the new season of Young Justice. The main group, so far, is just Ms. Martian, Superboy, and Beast Boy on Mars. But they followed up on the end of season 3 stinger with Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, and Chameleon Boy slinking around Mars, too, for some yet unknown reason. Seems they're going for more of a mystery tack instead of social or political drama. But there's a whole lot of racial text and subtext with the different colored Martians. It hasn't gotten cringe, yet. But it could go dumb real quick. Here's hoping.

One cool thing is they're doing mini-scenes that are dialogue only during the credits which expand what everyone's doing right now. And the episode three one was Superman on the phone with Lois while she's dealing with their baby. Soooooooo, maybe Jon Kent is A Thing in this series now?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 24, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

That's a weird way to spell Harley Quinn.

Harley Quinn is excellent but is not as much a Batman show. (Also I still put it in third if you count it but that's not because of criticism about it.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Watched the first few episodes of the new season of Young Justice. The main group, so far, is just Ms. Martian, Superboy, and Beast Boy on Mars. But they followed up on the end of season 3 stinger with Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, and Chameleon Boy slinking around Mars, too, for some yet unknown reason. Seems they're going for more of a mystery tack instead of social or political drama. But there's a whole lot of racial text and subtext with the different colored Martians. It hasn't gotten cringe, yet. But it could go dumb real quick. Here's hoping.

One cool thing is they're doing mini-scenes that are dialogue only during the credits which expand what everyone's doing right now. And the episode three one was Superman on the phone with Lois while she's dealing with their baby. Soooooooo, maybe Jon Kent is A Thing in this series now?

Jon has been a thing since season 3

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nodosaur posted:

Jon has been a thing since season 3

Then I must've completely blocked that out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

I liked when Conner was talking to M'Gann's dad and learned that Martian Manhunter had improved him in that regard by spending time on Earth, stating he was surprised because humans are not exactly well known for racial tolerance.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I grew up on Batman TAS and then later the DCAU but never really got into DC comics much - I read Marvel. That said, I recently got into Harley Quinn - the show - and I absolutely adore it, and I was surprised since I generally dislike what little I've seen with the characters since the DCAU.
Anyway, I mention that since my knowledge of DC comics outside the broad strokes and loving Amanda Conner's Power Girl run is pretty much 'nothing' so yeah.

That said, both I and a friend who I turned on to the show absolutely adore their take on Ivy. Normally the DCAU is like my platonic ideal for most Batman characters, but goddamn if HQ's Ivy isn't the platonic ideal of Ivy to me now.
So yeah, mentioning it here since I'm just wondering if there's any comics worth reading that take an approach to Ivy that's at all like the shows?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I grew up on Batman TAS and then later the DCAU but never really got into DC comics much - I read Marvel. That said, I recently got into Harley Quinn - the show - and I absolutely adore it, and I was surprised since I generally dislike what little I've seen with the characters since the DCAU.
Anyway, I mention that since my knowledge of DC comics outside the broad strokes and loving Amanda Conner's Power Girl run is pretty much 'nothing' so yeah.

That said, both I and a friend who I turned on to the show absolutely adore their take on Ivy. Normally the DCAU is like my platonic ideal for most Batman characters, but goddamn if HQ's Ivy isn't the platonic ideal of Ivy to me now.
So yeah, mentioning it here since I'm just wondering if there's any comics worth reading that take an approach to Ivy that's at all like the shows?

Good news, the show has a comic miniseries currently running about Harley and Ivy on their "honeymoon".

The show also takes a lot of cues from Conner and her husband's run on the Harley comic itself.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 25, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

Good news, the show has a comic miniseries currently running about Harley and Ivy on their "honeymoon".

The show also takes a lot of cues from Conner and her husband's run on the Harley comic itself.

I thought I vaguely recalled having heard Conner's Harley Quinn run was kind of awful? Or was it just the early New 52 part of it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Young Justice S3 felt like kind of a mess. I don't think what the show needed was to focus on MORE characters. That may be why they've narrowed the scope to like three for the moment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought I vaguely recalled having heard Conner's Harley Quinn run was kind of awful? Or was it just the early New 52 part of it?

I thought it was pretty bad but hey to each their own. I dipped out once they introduced a character named Red Tool who is literally Deadpool (but less funny) because do you get it aren't we funny?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was pretty bad but hey to each their own. I dipped out once they introduced a character named Red Tool who is literally Deadpool (but less funny) because do you get it aren't we funny?

A better joke would be giving Slade Wilson a substantial head injury like they did to Dick Grayson, and then have him start talking like Deadpool while he's recovering.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I was really surprised that the latest YJ episode Went into why Ms.Martian is always shapeshifted to a conventional human appearance. I kind of always assumed we were meant to quietly ignore that even though there was a whole arc about Ms.Martian hiding her true appearance and basing her earth persona off a tv show, she's gonna keep doing that after learning her friends accept her for who she is. No more bald shave and pronounced brow ridge though, wonder what that was about.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AlternateNu posted:

It was the episode where Oceanmaster tries to murder all the superbabies at once and The Light (TM) stops him because it would mean Injustice Superman ruling over earth with an iron fist

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The United States posted:

It was the episode where Oceanmaster tries to murder all the superbabies at once and The Light (TM) stops him because it would mean Injustice Superman ruling over earth with an iron fist

That reminds me. I wish they'd have used Lady Shiva more. She's my favorite DC antihero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's very much the two of them writing unfiltered, so it depends on your tolerance for that. But the general vibe of Harley as a well-meaning hosed-up gently caress-up is very much from that.
As is her explicitly hooking up with Pam. (Although Dini's obviously been pushing that for a while. He even managed to get fairly close in Gotham Sirens, by having Harley weaponise to hurt Ivy during the last arc)

Actually, was it a recent run on Batgirl where Babs hired Ivy to work for her tech start-up in the bio-tech arm?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been a few years but I remember Harley starting off pretty fun but as it goes on it gets progressively worse until you hit the costume changeover and like red tool appears and becomes a main character and it's completely unreadable

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Harley and Ivy being a thing was a thing from BTAS.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

Harley and Ivy being a thing was a thing from BTAS.

Well. It was really a thing from The New Batman/Superman Adventures retooling. BTAS ends with Mad Love, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Well. It was really a thing from The New Batman/Superman Adventures retooling. BTAS ends with Mad Love, right?

"Harley and Ivy" was from before the style change. "Mad Love" is a TNBA episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Their first team-up was in BTAS and had a line written to get the censors to focus on that and say "you can't say that" so they wouldn't see the other lines.

It was the Joker bursting in and saying "Haven't we been some busy beavers?" and somehow no one in the censor bored noticed and it was changed to "busy bees" later because Timm/Dini are loving cowards.

I'm more a Marvel guy than DC, but I think the Harley/Ivy team up was well before Harley even showed up in the comics and when Harley and Ivy have a team up it's as blunt as anything with Kate Pryde and Illyana or Rachel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The United States posted:

Yeah they considered it a nucellar option that they would not do unless they were going for broke utterly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Their first team-up was in BTAS and had a line written to get the censors to focus on that and say "you can't say that" so they wouldn't see the other lines.

It was the Joker bursting in and saying "Haven't we been some busy beavers?" and somehow no one in the censor bored noticed and it was changed to "busy bees" later because Timm/Dini are loving cowards.

I'm more a Marvel guy than DC, but I think the Harley/Ivy team up was well before Harley even showed up in the comics and when Harley and Ivy have a team up it's as blunt as anything with Kate Pryde and Illyana or Rachel.

Network censors must be the most depraved perverts on Earth to endlessly project their sexual obsessions onto entertainment meant for children.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Network censors must be the most depraved perverts on Earth to endlessly project their sexual obsessions onto entertainment meant for children.

To be fair, the DCAU was extraordinarily horny.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

wasn't "don't ya wanna ride your harley??" in like one of the very first episodes of btas

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

wasn't "don't ya wanna ride your harley??" in like one of the very first episodes of btas

Get the sense the character was created to make this line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Nope, that's from Mad Love. That's the line Timm had to re-storyboard because S&P felt the chopper style pose was too lewd. The original made it into the comics version of the story

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lobok posted:

She was basically created to be a modern equivalent of how the Adam West series had a token sexy female member of most of the gangs and henchmen the villain of the week would have

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lobok posted:

It’s funny because in her first appearance she’s in a baggy, shapeless harlequin costume and the joke is that it’s an inappropriately frumpy thing for a henchlady to wear. The show didn’t take her seriously until later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it's called Bruce Timm's Fan Fiction Portal for a reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is your regular reminder that Paul Dini married his wife because she’s basically a real life Zatana.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

This is your regular reminder that Paul Dini married his wife because she’s basically a real life Zatana.

Honestly surprised Zatanna didn't show up more in the DCAU/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

AlternateNu posted:

Super nice lady. I loiter at my local comic shop a little longer than usual every Wednesday before Thanksigivng, hoping their family will stop in again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

"I'm not a supervillain. I identify as an ecoterrorist."

That show just slays me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It’s funny because in her first appearance she’s in a baggy, shapeless harlequin costume and the joke is that it’s an inappropriately frumpy thing for a henchlady to wear. The show didn’t take her seriously until later.

Mark Hammil has a story about how when she was first introduced she was literally called "Jokers Hench Wench" in the script.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1448738808770424845?t=SRbX_CAWjzLqEmbBbTozxw&s=19

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That show gave every supervillain some kind of gang with no real explanation. That's a practice going way back to their roots when superhero comics were more focused on fighting like 1930s organized crime, although over time it got to be more about the supervillains on their own.

It's interesting that the one time they dug in to explain where this one henchwoman came from, she really skyrocketed to fame. Makes you wonder what would've happened if they did that more and explained where those sexy ladies with Mr. Freeze when he was trying to destroy the city came from, or where Joker got that robot. But then I guess the new characters they invented for the Superman Animated Series didn't take off anywhere nearly as much. There's no Mercy or Livewire movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Many, many years ago now I was talking with people about favorite Batman character designs and it was interesting to note how, even though Ivy is a buxom temptress in TAS, she's very different in a lot of other stuff. She's not as sexualized in her TNBA redesign, and in The Batman she's a skinny nerd. The Batman is an underrated version of Ivy in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But then I guess the new characters they invented for the Superman Animated Series didn't take off anywhere nearly as much. There's no Mercy or Livewire movie.

Yet! Honestly, I think it is just a matter of time. Mercy and Livewire have been pretty ubiquitous in other DC stuff, just as background characters. And Harley started on third base being tied to the most interesting villain opposing the most interesting comic book hero known for having the most interesting villains.