Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Looking for a thread about your hobby and want to ask if there is one? Want to start a new hobby thread but don't know if there's interest? Have quick questions about other people's hobbies that aren't worth making an entire thread? Want to chat about hobbies in general? This thread is for you.

corgski fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

In HCH:

In other forums:
More hobby threads to come as I have time to index them.

HCH buy/sell trade thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949919

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 14, 2023

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Highlights!

Coming soon

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 18, 2020

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

If this is the thread to get some hobby help, then please for the love of god help me.

I currently have like, 4-6 semi-ongoing projects scattered throughout my apartment and I have run out of ideas of how to centralize them and store them. I've got some bins full of yarn, some Ikea crates of poorly organized fabric, two different sewing kits because I keep forgetting I already own various tools, a half-restored table loom, some minis primed and ready for painting, and who the gently caress knows what else. For goons who dabble in a lot of different crafts/DIY arts how do you keep all your poo poo organized?? Anyone have any good tips for getting stuff sorted out when your projects can vary in size and scope?

Also, are there any goons out there into weaving?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bingo Bango posted:

I do not weave myself but I recently got excited about making myself a loom for some dumb reason and would love to learn and know more about weaving!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

For organization I sucked it up and bought a ton of matching plastic shoeboxes and tubs so they’d stack neatly and just started sorting things out and putting labels on them. (Having a good label maker is a godsend.) Having a giant stack of tubs in the corner of my office isn’t the best but it’s better than having everything scattered in mismatched containers all over the place.

Right now I have four of those Home Depot yellow lidded tubs full of (to be) refurbished cameras/spare parts/etc, a 32 quart bin of old clothing and scraps to recycle into other projects, a 16 quart bin of current sewing projects, and way too many 32 and 16qt bins of old retrocomputing bits and I’m still not done.

E: oh god that just reminded me I have another Home Depot tub full of a lifetime supply of muslin in my shed too. If I ever need to build flats again I guess it’s nice to have?

corgski fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 22, 2020

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I got into making stuff with preserved plants a while ago and ended up doing more projects than I had planned with them. I've been dumping them in the monstrous Post your projects thread. Stuff like this:

I don't have any more projects with them planned at the moment but I've been thinking of posting a thread about making thangs out of dried/preserved plants (whether it's more wall-art type stuff or flower arrangements, wreaths, etc) and to record some of the stuff I learned for my own future reference. Before I type up a whole mess of poo poo no one will ever read, I figured I'd post an interest check.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Wallet posted:

I got into making stuff with preserved plants a while ago and ended up doing more projects than I had planned with them. I've been dumping them in the monstrous Post your projects thread. Stuff like this:

I don't have any more projects with them planned at the moment but I've been thinking of posting a thread about making thangs out of dried/preserved plants (whether it's more wall-art type stuff or flower arrangements, wreaths, etc) and to record some of the stuff I learned for my own future reference. Before I type up a whole mess of poo poo no one will ever read, I figured I'd post an interest check.

Speaking for myself, this is a hobby I'd never heard of and would therefore not have asked for, but it looks interesting. If you posted a thread and linked it here I would check it out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Have you ever been curious how some takes a small pile of wood from a box that claims to be a 'kit' and turns it into a model wooden ship, but get super bored of following a build log that takes over a year? I'm in the process of posting the build log of my best effort so far at making a cool boat out of a bunch of wood and money in this thread:

Sanding, $pending and Swearing: The saga of a wood model ship build

The thread is currently about 3.5 months into a 13+ month project, and I'm trying to get a week or more worth of material up each day. Lots of pictures and even a video!

Started with this:

With the goal of maybe someday having something resembling the picture on the box:

Join me in the much abbreviated journey and ask all the questions you want whether about this specific mess, or the hobby in general and I'll by happy to at least try to answer everything I can.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Is there a thread here for making puppets/muppets? It's something I've wanted to do for a long while but I'm looking for some guidance.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bingo Bango posted:

If this is the thread to get some hobby help, then please for the love of god help me.

I currently have like, 4-6 semi-ongoing projects scattered throughout my apartment and I have run out of ideas of how to centralize them and store them. I've got some bins full of yarn, some Ikea crates of poorly organized fabric, two different sewing kits because I keep forgetting I already own various tools, a half-restored table loom, some minis primed and ready for painting, and who the gently caress knows what else. For goons who dabble in a lot of different crafts/DIY arts how do you keep all your poo poo organized?? Anyone have any good tips for getting stuff sorted out when your projects can vary in size and scope?

This post it old BUT:

I'm lucky enough to have a arts and crafts thrift store nearby, so I frequently edit and purge. You gotta KonMari that poo poo sometimes (although my quilting fabric stash came in very, very handy when everyone needed masks made of tightly woven cotton all of a sudden. I used up probably 85-90% of it). No one needs two duplicate sewing kits. If it's something easy attainable/relatively cheap and you haven't used it in a year or whatever, out it goes.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This post it old BUT:

I'm lucky enough to have a arts and crafts thrift store nearby, so I frequently edit and purge. You gotta KonMari that poo poo sometimes (although my quilting fabric stash came in very, very handy when everyone needed masks made of tightly woven cotton all of a sudden. I used up probably 85-90% of it). No one needs two duplicate sewing kits. If it's something easy attainable/relatively cheap and you haven't used it in a year or whatever, out it goes.

Lucky for me, I'm moving 500 miles in a couple of months so looks like life is going to force me to buckle down and do this anyway!

And yeah, mask making last spring did wonders for my stash although I was too burnt out by the time I needed to get started on Christmas presents that I barely made a dent in my yarn stash this year.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a thread for taking care of indoor plants?

I saw the bonsai thread and the gardening thread. Neither of those is quite right.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is there a thread for taking care of indoor plants?

I saw the bonsai thread and the gardening thread. Neither of those is quite right.

You want the Horticulture thread.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleetwood posted:

Is there a thread here for making puppets/muppets? It's something I've wanted to do for a long while but I'm looking for some guidance.

Didn't find one, but YouTube has tons of videos onaking any kind of puppet you can imagine. Adam Savage even did a one day build video.

https://youtu.be/JYwNuP7cwJs

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've restarted the needle felting thread!There was one a few years ago when I was a newbie but I'm still doing it and still want to spread the word about this wonderful easy fun craft!

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Is there a thread for resin/epoxy crafting, specifically dice making (or not)? Mostly just looking for some likeminded goons to follow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Marceline Abadeer posted:

Is there a thread for resin/epoxy crafting, specifically dice making (or not)? Mostly just looking for some likeminded goons to follow.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905563

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a spot to talk about baseball or sports card collecting? I want to post this card that was announced today.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

phosdex posted:

Is there a spot to talk about baseball or sports card collecting? I want to post this card that was announced today.

Well I just backtracked from my bookmarked NBA Topshot thread and looks like, The Armchair Quarterback might be your desired forum for card posting. But like what do I know.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is there a thread for paper making, stationary, letter writing, etc? I want to know more about paper and how it's used and made, how it changed over the years, why older paper is nicer, etc.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

HIJK posted:

Is there a thread for paper making, stationary, letter writing, etc? I want to know more about paper and how it's used and made, how it changed over the years, why older paper is nicer, etc.

I would suggest asking over in the pen thread, this seems right up their alley. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is there a thread somewhere about bee keeping? I browsed Pet Island, Ask/tell, The Great Outdoors, Hobbies, didn't see anything.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

spf3million posted:

Is there a thread somewhere about bee keeping? I browsed Pet Island, Ask/tell, The Great Outdoors, Hobbies, didn't see anything.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091681

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks! Not sure how I missed it.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Is there a thread for geocaching? I’ve been into geocaching for a few years now and it’d be cool to find other goons into it!

e: I set it up! It's now in The Great Outdoors! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981420

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 13, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Is there a thread for geocaching? I’ve been into geocaching for a few years now and it’d be cool to find other goons into it!

There used to be an Ask/Tell thread about it ages ago but it appears to have fallen into archives. If you made a thread in The Great Outdoors I'd love to see it.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, I'm looking for a thread about building machines out of aluminium pieces, Arduino, bread boards, printed circuit boards, etc. I just picked up a book unraveling the mystery of how to get aluminium parts, but I need recs for equipment (band saw, drill press, etc) and maybe some good video tutorials

E: I guess the Arduino and electronics threads work, and metalworking thread might help, but I'm trying to see if there's anything else pertaining to this particular application

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 30, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

3D printing thread might help? I think some of those people do other CNC machine building type stuff too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

There's an RC vehicle stuff thread somewhere too I think

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is there a thread for locksport / lock picking / toool nerds?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have a historical question about train lines and luxury train cars and I'm coming up with nothing when searching on my own. Is there a train enthusiast thread here on SA?

This is not a bit, I genuinely have a train question.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HIJK posted:

I have a historical question about train lines and luxury train cars and I'm coming up with nothing when searching on my own. Is there a train enthusiast thread here on SA?

This is not a bit, I genuinely have a train question.
Too lazy to look for it, but in AI, yes. It was called Locomotive Insanity for awhile, probably some variant of that now.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Is there a thread for locksport / lock picking / toool nerds?

I don't know of one but if someone finds or makes one link it here so I can jump in too!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

corgski posted:

I don't know of one but if someone finds or makes one link it here so I can jump in too!
Someone was just asking about one in the Stupid/Small questions thread so I guess somebody ought to make one!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3343753&perpage=40&pagenumber=2019#post518415625

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's got to be a drone thread somewhere; does anybody know where it is?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's got to be a drone thread somewhere; does anybody know where it is?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a pottery / wheel throwing and kiln firing thread?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a pottery / wheel throwing and kiln firing thread?

I was looking for one a few months ago and couldn’t find one here or in CC. Please make one! It’s something I’ve been interested in learning about and I know there are a few goons in here that do pottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A year later I finally got around to making a thread about making poo poo with plants and drying them and poo poo like that.