Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Evosolution INC
4 Billion Years Until Project Deadline

"Hello DESIGNERS! Welcome to Planet Vega 4 - A bit barren at the moment, as we only just got the basic GOLDILOCKS setup into a PANGEA configuration, but that's where you come in! Our client want this place THRIVING with a decent ECOSYSTEM before the first batch of SENTIENTS are due in FOUR BILLION YEARS - so we got our work cut out for us!

So! First order of business! We've got some ICECAPS that VEGA-PRIME is already hard at work melting into WATER for us, not to mention a bunch of ROCKS everywhere, but there's nothing to turn all of those wonderful RESOURCES into a breathable atmosphere! That's where you lot come in! We need an EVOSOLUTION! So, Designers! What should we do? The gengineers are ready to implement your ideas at a moments notice. Go on, don't be afraid, just throw some ideas out there and we'll see what sticks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
> deploy algae to the secondary body
> rename algae "moon slime"

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I mean, clearly we need more tectonic activity and volcanoes. Shake the ol' ball up a bit. Sure, pangeatic configurations sound all good and nice, but then you end up having Category AHMAGAD hurricanes travelling from one end of the world-ocean and hitting the shoreline in the other end to devastating effects. Let's see about having at least three or four continents here, get some stable weather configurations in. Not to mention, all that geological activity might get us started on the primordial soup needed for baseline carbonic life.

Unless we want to go somewhere a bit more esoteric, of course. What say you, gents, ladies, otherbeings?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Lightning Bolts and Volcanoes

So: rain storms and geothermal movement

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What we need here, chief, is a classic magsnail. Eat some magma and belch out the gasses. Nothing cuter than a magsnail volcanic nest too! Those gemstone pellets will come in handy for the sentients.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

> deploy algae to the secondary body
> rename algae "moon slime"

They seem to have caught on! They wont do much for Vega-4 without some form of interstellar transmission though! Any suggestions?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Big fucken rock smacking the moon and pelting the lands below with slime-ridden detritus ought to do it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

-Move the world precisely four inches to the left. Since directions are relative, "left" referring to our current viewing angle of the whole affair.
-Generate a simple aquatic lifeform: The Spheroop, a... jelly-sphere thing that propels itself along the sea floor via 'inhaling', turning, and 'exhaling' water, siphoning the nutrients it requires for this process from the hydrothermal vents while excess minerals are stirred into the water, laying the ground for more advanced (relatively speaking) life.
-We do have hydrothermal vents, yes? No? If they don't, best put some in so they don't starve first.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Scribbleykins posted:

I mean, clearly we need more tectonic activity and volcanoes. Shake the ol' ball up a bit. Sure, pangeatic configurations sound all good and nice, but then you end up having Category AHMAGAD hurricanes travelling from one end of the world-ocean and hitting the shoreline in the other end to devastating effects. Let's see about having at least three or four continents here, get some stable weather configurations in. Not to mention, all that geological activity might get us started on the primordial soup needed for baseline carbonic life.

Unless we want to go somewhere a bit more esoteric, of course. What say you, gents, ladies, otherbeings?

That sounds more like a GEOSOLUTION, we don't really have the biomass on-site to make any worldbreakers yet!

Lux Animus posted:

Lightning Bolts and Volcanoes

So: rain storms and geothermal movement

Sky critters would need an ATMOSPHERE to live in, silly! One problem at a time!

Slaan posted:

What we need here, chief, is a classic magsnail. Eat some magma and belch out the gasses. Nothing cuter than a magsnail volcanic nest too! Those gemstone pellets will come in handy for the sentients.

There you go! This is why I hired you lot! Something like this?

Now we just need something that eats it and we can get some evolution going!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

They seem to have caught on! They wont do much for Vega-4 without some form of interstellar transmission though! Any suggestions?

Explosive spore release every perihelion

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Indeed. The algae needs to start building spore pods that explode sending the algae and the gas hurtling into the planet

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Adding a collective hive mind for moon slimes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lava worms could be a good pred for the magma slugs if nothing reasonable gets formed on its own

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That sounds more like a GEOSOLUTION, we don't really have the biomass on-site to make any worldbreakers yet!

Okay, so I might've missed the premiss, but are you saying silicate life ain't on the table? That we can't EVOLVE THE WORLD?

Fucken hell, I'm outta here.

*UPSET DOORSLAM*

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019

lava worms could be a good pred for the magma slugs if nothing reasonable gets formed on its own

Planned to make moon slimes into an apex predator of Vega 4

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah but the thing with moon slimes is they're p much a backup solution atm. Unless there's a mega catastrophe they'll periodically sporulate the primary, but aren't particularly well adapted for it

They're a good primary producer for now, a lot like the magsnail. They should at least be able to start up an alternate biosphere on the secondary, even if it's not really the best place to grow life

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Make a bug.

A water bug.

I like water.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
make an algae that takes in water and heat and then makes farts - then we can have an atmosphere

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let’s make tiny little extremophile bears with six limbs to eat the snails and excrete a 70% nitrogen, 21% oxygen blend.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Indeed. The algae needs to start building spore pods that explode sending the algae and the gas hurtling into the planet

Explosive spore release every perihelion

Theanael posted:

Adding a collective hive mind for moon slimes

Looks like the moon slime spore pods are a success, but the gengineers are having some trouble adapting a hive-mind to work with single-cell algae colonies... something about lack of complexity? What do I know! It's all technobabble to me. They look like they are trying to figure themselves out though, and you know what they say about evolution? Variety is key! I'm sure the mindmold will be good for something.

Dog Kisser posted:

Make a bug.

A water bug.

I like water.

Theanael posted:

Planned to make moon slimes into an apex predator of Vega 4

Uuh, good news and bad news, Designers! Looks like we got some COMPLICATIONS!

The Lavaworms were a great success! Sort of! They are very big and threatening, owing to the hostile environment of Vega4! However! They are stuck in their lavapools and can't really threaten the magmaslugs as they just crawl away any time a lavaworm gets near. Clearly, the lavaworm needs some sort of evolutionary edge. Anyone got any ideas on how to make them more mobile, without devastating the still tiny magmaslug population?!

Oh and all the waterbugs died, on account of not having anything to eat. Sorry. However some of the moonslime spores seem to have taken root on the carcasses, so that's something?

We are almost ready to give the ol' timeskipper a slap and see where history takes us, but I feel we are lacking a certain something... ah, yes, variety! We've got your standard issue Magmaslugs, lavaworms and waterbugsporegardens, but how much more exciting would life be if they had some treevolountionary branches?! A lot, that's how much. So, give me some intra-species variety!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The spores should eat the bugs and float on the water!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Oh and all the waterbugs died, on account of not having anything to eat. Sorry. However some of the moonslime spores seem to have taken root on the carcasses, so that's something?

What about the algae I asked to make in the water for the water bugs

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Arcanuse posted:

-Generate a simple aquatic lifeform: The Spheroop, a... jelly-sphere thing that propels itself along the sea floor via 'inhaling', turning, and 'exhaling' water, siphoning the nutrients it requires for this process from the hydrothermal vents while excess minerals are stirred into the water, laying the ground for more advanced (relatively speaking) life.
-We do have hydrothermal vents, yes? No? If they don't, best put some in so they don't starve first.

To fulfill the sudden aquatic vacancy, we would like to re-propose this.

As for variance:
-Lavasnails: Not, oddly, an adaptation of the magmaslug, but the lavaworm. It's capable of forming a hardened shell, permitting it to (briefly) leave its pools to find sustenance.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The purple magsnail has adapted to predation by growing crystalline spikes but is slow and can't escape from the magma

The yellow magsnail has cooled off and starts to live farther from the magma vents but has to eat spores and dead lavaworms and magsnails for sustenance. They'll give us some good decomposition

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Lux Animus posted:

What about the algae I asked to make in the water for the water bugs

Uuuh sorry! The Gengineers said something about "running out of algaepowder" after seeding Vega4-Secundus with Moonslime, but they have a compromise for you! Coral!

Arcanuse posted:

With dead Waterbugs and Sphereoops littering the ocean floor, it is getting quiet thick with biomass! A great breeding ground for... something! Not all is lost though, a few Sphereoops have taken to floating above the Hydrothermal vents and have a better time off it, except for when the numerous Deepocean Stinkorals stink up the place, which is always. Sorry.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if magmaworms had some kind of extensible tongue they could eat better, but also woudn't be so mobile they could rampage across the planet

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Get this: waterbugs 2.0 :coal:
This version gets to eat particles of coral stink!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Waterbugs 2.0 eat coral and fart oxygen, but are also microscopic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I feel like almost all of these lifeforms are entirely too advanced if we're starting from scratch lol

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

The Parsimonious Nipper, an aquatic crustacean (think prawn with two big lobster claws) that lives in and around Deepocean Stinkcorals, trimming off pieces to build their nests.
Their numbers are limited; while the dead waterbugs and sphereoops will provide a steady foodsource, the populations longterm growth will be tied to the number of living sphereoops.
(Living off of corpses requires a source of said corpses, natch)
More living sphereoops, the more the sphereoops multiply, the more food the Nippers will have.

Who knows, perhaps this will encourage a sort of mutualism? Depends on what else shows up in the brine, I suppose.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I feel like almost all of these lifeforms are entirely too advanced if we're starting from scratch lol

(We are bullshit aliens trying to hurry everything along, no poo poo were gonna cheat lol)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems like nippers could spread corals asexually, like spreading plants via cuttings

Or just totally gently caress corals up big time

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
The Lavaworms can't survive if we want this place to actually have a stable atmosphere. Giant, ubiquitous pools of lava tend to gently caress with that.

What we can do is evolve them to live underwater and hang out in hydrothermal vents.

Leave the Magsnails, they'll die out on their own after the magma is gone.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

The Lavaworms can't survive if we want this place to actually have a stable atmosphere. Giant, ubiquitous pools of lava tend to gently caress with that.

What we can do is evolve them to live underwater and hang out in hydrothermal vents.

Leave the Magsnails, they'll die out on their own after the magma is gone.

Magmasnails can probably survive underground or in active volcanoes tho.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

How dare you all insult my glorious magsnails :(

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Rotfeeder: Basic bacterial life, feeds on discarded biomass, poops out fertile dirt

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

Slaan posted:

How dare you all insult my glorious magsnails :(

I would never insult the magsnails. They're going to do what needs to get done, but the ecosystem is going to leave them behind.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Woah there designers! Looks like the Ocean is getting full!

But look at it all! We've got a basic ECOSYSTEM going, with Aquatic Lavaworms feeding on Waterbears feeding on Sphereoops feeding on the energies of Vega4's Hydrothermal Vents and Stinkoral gas!
With all the excess biomatter being converted to nutrient rich soil by healthy patches of Rotgrass. Meanwhile, the Stinkoral population is kept from being gobbled up by the newly added Watermites by the cunning placement of Pruneprawns! Which are, in turn, eaten by both the Waterbears and the Lavaworms!

I'm so proud of you all! Lets leave the gengineers a bit of time to finish up the surface and then the fun can really begin!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Status report on moon slime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Looks like the surface is done! Now we just cook it for about a quarter aeon and see what happens!

So... why don't we all get to know eachother in the meantime? My favourite colour is ḯ̴̡͓̪̪͍̔̇̎͠ṅ̵̯͚̦̭ͅs̵̹̭̺̺̙̤̅̒̀͘c̴̺̱̆́̂̾͝͝r̷͌̚͜u̴͉̩̻̯͗̾t̶̜̯̪̖̙̹̓̋̚̕â̷̡̪͉͌͋̉͌̕b̵̰͖̔̋l̴͔̂̚é̵̯̰̱̠͕̀ and I've been Project Manager for the past three m-brations! How about you?