Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ohh I didn't realise that was out on app lab! I've been waiting so long for it to be on Quest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Powerbeats VR i believe it was, and it is getting an in-headset release through the app lab on Wednesday! Super excited about it tbh.

https://www.roadtovr.com/powerbeatsvr-release-oculus-quest/

Ooh, that does look good, I'll check it out, thanks.

lunar detritus posted:

Do you ever stop flailing around in Synth Riders higher difficulty settings?

Flailing around kind of describes the core gameplay loop, but once you get good enough to just naturally react to everything then it becomes very skillful and deliberate flailing.

So yes, just keep at it. I can't play anything under Expert now and always default to Master, it's too pedestrian otherwise.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I just went up to master and I'm now sometimes flailing hard enough to make my upper arms ache. I have to deliberately try for smooth movements out of self-preservation.

e: Also it's pretty silly that you'll finally complete a song on master and find your score is well under when you snoozed through a perfect run on normal.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 18, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress yeah viking game is great, also looks like it's officially releasing on the store in like three days so I guess I would have just got it then! But having it a few days early is fine too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

Antlion not only makes a great product, the team behind it is great. Love em. Have a problem? Seriously just join the discord or email support. It'll get fixed. James, Joe, Allie, all great people.

I love my ModMic, but I have two problems with it:

1. The cable is fixed. I'd very much prefer a standard USB cable with a socket on the device.

2. It only comes with two of the magnetic bases, and they're stupidly expensive to buy more. I used up my included two on Monoprice headphones that broke when I started using a softphone and was wearing them all day rather than intermittently, then it's $19 for three more little pieces of plastic with magnets. I ended up peeling the one off the last broken set and using gorilla glue to attach it to my new set, which became its own pain in the rear end as wet glue is apparently slippery enough for the magnet in the speaker to pull the magnet in the mount to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

1. The cable is fixed. I'd very much prefer a standard USB cable with a socket on the device.

2. It only comes with two of the magnetic bases, and they're stupidly expensive to buy more. I used up my included two on Monoprice headphones that broke when I started using a softphone and was wearing them all day rather than intermittently, then it's $19 for three more little pieces of plastic with magnets. I ended up peeling the one off the last broken set and using gorilla glue to attach it to my new set, which became its own pain in the rear end as wet glue is apparently slippery enough for the magnet in the speaker to pull the magnet in the mount to it.

You do know there's a wireless version, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

explosivo posted:

Hey that's awesome, I was wondering if they were going to put this on the oculus store eventually. I had thought about showing this to family before but would probably never be in a scenario to show them as a steam vr game. This became one of my favorite rhythm games ever and up there with the best game I've played in VR to date. It feels right, it looks awesome, and while I'm not normally into hokey pirate/viking metal it really works with the theme and I was surprised with how much I dug pretty much all the songs in the game.

Valhallelujah is a frickin amazing song. I'm glad this is finally getting a Quest port since micro-lag and random stuttering when trying to play it over Virtual Desktop is an exercise in frustration. I hope they build cross-platform multiplayer in too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

1) Wireless one solves this. No idea on the wired ones. :(

2) 3d print more if you've worn down the plastic on them. The magnets are removable and the adhesive is just standard 3m. In fact, if you ask them in the discord they'll just link you a roll in most cases and say "buy this, its cheap". So either way, easy to fix friend.

https://amzn.to/3n4h7RJ

Thats the 3m they use. Cut to fit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024912

Theres the "print your own thing" things.

Sorry. No links for the magnets atm. :(

lunar detritus posted:

Do you ever stop flailing around in Synth Riders higher difficulty settings?

When your ability catches up yeah. You're flailing because you're still beyond your skill cap. You're riding the line. Let loose and just dance around more :)

Turin Turambar posted:

A pair of months ago, some people here were discussing the pros and cons of some 'fitness' games with automap generation. Does anybody know the names?

Powerbeats VR is the only one I rec right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i wish i remembered the modmic when i was buying new headphones, now i'm stuck with a lovely gaming headset for another 5 years lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Dear fellow europeans, help the Zuck create the metaverse
https://about.fb.com/news/2021/10/creating-jobs-europe-metaverse/

This is really fantastic news. 10,000 people getting paid to dick around and waste Facebook's money because they have no real direction with this kind of project, so it's doomed to fail? Epic

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Uhhhhh is that THE Nick Clegg?

Edit: yes, yes it is. Lmao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demeo news posted:

Hey Adventurers,
During the Steam Digital Tabletop Fest this year we’ll be sharing a dev play session where we pick their brains about Demeo and what it’s like working with the game. We’ll also share an announcement that we’ve kept a secret for a while now!
Attend the event here on Steam on Thursday, October 21 at 11 am PT/8 pm CEST!

Finally, the last update was time ago. We know the save game functionality is in development, I expect that, a new dungeon, and maybe news of the PC (non VR) version.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Finally, the last update was time ago. We know the save game functionality is in development, I expect that, a new dungeon, and maybe news of the PC (non VR) version.

The novelty of Demeo is moving pieces around in VR so I think a 2d version would be pretty dull if it's just as-is. Saving mid run will be nice but all that game is missing is some gearing/leveling to keep me coming back to play it more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

The novelty of Demeo is moving pieces around in VR so I think a 2d version would be pretty dull if it's just as-is. Saving mid run will be nice but all that game is missing is some gearing/leveling to keep me coming back to play it more.

I think the 2d version is more for people who want to cross play with their non VR friends.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Alctel posted:

Uhhhhh is that THE Nick Clegg?

Edit: yes, yes it is. Lmao

Yep. Selling out to the tories wasn't enough, he had to go the whole hog.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You do know there's a wireless version, right?

EbolaIvory posted:

1) Wireless one solves this. No idea on the wired ones. :(
I generally avoid wireless things when I don't need them to be wireless because inevitably the battery is always dead at the worst time and interference issues are a pain in the rear end. My ModMic was purchased for use with wired analog headphones so getting the wired version made sense, I just didn't realize the cable was going to be an annoyingly weird length that always leaves me with too much or not enough, thus the complaint about it not being removable. On my headphones I can use whatever cable I want, which was great before buying the DAS because I could hang a short cable off the headset and plug them in with no slack. A removable USB cable would make the ModMic-on-Vive install more or less as nice.

Also I thought the wireless one was Bluetooth, which has multiple levels of suck when trying to use with a PC, but that seems to have been a mistake on my part.

quote:

2) 3d print more if you've worn down the plastic on them. The magnets are removable and the adhesive is just standard 3m. In fact, if you ask them in the discord they'll just link you a roll in most cases and say "buy this, its cheap". So either way, easy to fix friend.

https://amzn.to/3n4h7RJ

Thats the 3m they use. Cut to fit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3024912

Theres the "print your own thing" things.

Sorry. No links for the magnets atm. :(

That is certainly useful though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

I generally avoid wireless things when I don't need them to be wireless because inevitably the battery is always dead at the worst time and interference issues are a pain in the rear end. My ModMic was purchased for use with wired analog headphones so getting the wired version made sense, I just didn't realize the cable was going to be an annoyingly weird length that always leaves me with too much or not enough, thus the complaint about it not being removable. On my headphones I can use whatever cable I want, which was great before buying the DAS because I could hang a short cable off the headset and plug them in with no slack. A removable USB cable would make the ModMic-on-Vive install more or less as nice.

Also I thought the wireless one was Bluetooth, which has multiple levels of suck when trying to use with a PC, but that seems to have been a mistake on my part.

That is certainly useful though.

The wireless works great. It also works while charging so if you do forget, no big. Its a wired mic for 20 min or whatever. I just use those magnetic cable things and at night when im done i just slap it on one and thats that.

I use it on my VR stuff, my zoom calls, pretty much everything. And the interference isn't an issue. I run a poo poo ton of BT/Wireless in this room (3+ trackers, 4 light houses, multiple cameras/IP cams, mics, headsets, etc.) and the only problems are generated from tracker dongles which is solved by moving them away from poo poo. Theres going to be some weird edge case stuff but really I just shove the dongle on a front usb port and call it good. The only time my mic went wonky was when I forgot a tracker dongle sitting next to it. Which, tracker dongles break everything so whatever.

I'm a loving shill for antlion, don't get me wrong. #Sponsored etc. But I 100% did not take anything from them until I used one myself for a while and was recommending them before I realized how good the customer service is.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My first wireless mod mic had a lot of interference whenever I played PS4. I never really noticed it on PC or VR. I've had zero issues with my replacement, though. It's a really good choice if you want or already have good headphones but don't want a dumb looking gamer headset.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some youtuber in Japan jumped the embargo date of RE4 VR (it seems the embargo lift is tomorrow, so tomorrow there will be much more)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysy3ltD7bww&t=132s

Video will be deleted soon, I guess.

and this is Sim City on VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIzlgmSFsWk

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another fitness app. This seems to be 'a bit of everything' type of thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9OKr8e6k44

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

That sure is an art syle.
Or a lack of one I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I guess the 'a bit of everything' part applies both to the gameplay and the art !

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Game had potential. Its also pretty dead.

Problem.

Its made by devs and people who apparently seem to think crossfit style hard impact gently caress your body movement is good for you in VR. Nothing ever felt good doing it. It was all clunky feeling and janky.

PowerbeatsVR is better for working out.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

another city sim dies stillborn from car culture

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Puzzling Pieces DLC being released this Thursday - looks like Mars Base stuff

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

It's probably just a bunch of disparate asset packs rather than their own in-house 3D modelling.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

and this is Sim City on VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIzlgmSFsWk

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK IPD
YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Skateboarding in AR MR:

https://twitter.com/stanlarroque/status/1448700584693993478
https://twitter.com/stanlarroque/status/1450125862196633602

panic state fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I love that it fades out about 0.5 seconds before it tells the wearer to steer directly into the nearest pedestrian.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
But the idea is pretty cool, and eventually what we all want in VR, right? The ability to see around us and still have an imaginary world you can project as you please.

Our grandchildren will have some pretty awesome headsets to detract them from the hellscape we've created to obtain the technology.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there actually anything to do but admire the a m b i a n c e? So far, I sat through some Japanese pop song, unable to do anything except change the EQ by moving bits around, and couldn't even move myself until a monster handed me a gem. What's the actual gameplay? Is there any? So far it's just been, as I say, babby's-first-VR-excursion level stuff.

Yeah there's a really fun simulation systems in there, with the AI creatures you eventually meet and how they interact with the environment which you can manipulate with physics.

I'm just always blown away by games that simulate water and sand physics... knowing that it is essentially the spiritual sequel to From Dust is comforting

Also yeah, the game does get harder. I remember one mission involving leading the paper deer away from paper tigers....

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Nocheez posted:

But the idea is pretty cool, and eventually what we all want in VR, right? The ability to see around us and still have an imaginary world you can project as you please.

Our grandchildren will have some pretty awesome headsets to detract them from the hellscape we've created to obtain the technology.

I've been way more excited about AR over VR until Microsoft broke my heart with their hololens over and over

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nocheez posted:

This is 0% important to me. I think what you can do is a lot more interesting when you can manipulate 100% of the photons instead of needing to passthrough a significant % of real life photons. I think AR can be neat for cases that are meant to enhance your day to day life (google maps overlays, giant tv screens on the wall, etc), but all the really cool stuff is going to be in VR, I think. To put it flippantly, I don't think, say, Space Pirate Trainer would be more fun if I could still see my wall of anime figurines

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Lemming posted:

This is 0% important to me. I think what you can do is a lot more interesting when you can manipulate 100% of the photons instead of needing to passthrough a significant % of real life photons. I think AR can be neat for cases that are meant to enhance your day to day life (google maps overlays, giant tv screens on the wall, etc), but all the really cool stuff is going to be in VR, I think. To put it flippantly, I don't think, say, Space Pirate Trainer would be more fun if I could still see my wall of anime figurines

This thing can do that! They say there's a near pixel-perfect transition between the Lynx's FOV and peripheral vision. So 100% of the photons in your normal HMD field of view do get manipulated. Here's a demo of portal tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmdUygh6edU&t=111s

panic state fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 19, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ott_ posted:

This thing can do that! They say there's a near pixel-perfect transition between the Lynx's FOV and peripheral vision. So 100% of the photons in your normal HMD field of view do get manipulated. Here's a demo of portal tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmdUygh6edU&t=111s

Yeah, I just mean that this is the type of thing that I think is more interesting, whereas I think that AR, at least at the moment, is both significantly harder and has fewer use cases I find interesting. I think the hype cycle has moved on from VR a lot and moved to AR, when I feel like it's very backwards in terms of which is going to be able to do interesting things in the near future

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

Which is why, in that instance, you would still use VR to immerse yourself fully. We still can use whatever is best as a guardian, but there's no reason you can't play a game that is "fullscreen" instead of opaque, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Which is why, in that instance, you would still use VR to immerse yourself fully. We still can use whatever is best as a guardian, but there's no reason you can't play a game that is "fullscreen" instead of opaque, right?

Yeah but if the interesting case is VR, then the AR part isn't that important, and AR is orders of magnitude harder than VR. Optically being able to pass through real life photons puts a ton of constraints on the optics, so pseudo-AR which is just VR with passthrough is much easier and gets you a lot of use cases anyway.

My underlying point is that I'm not particularly excited about new hardware because I think the hardware we already have kicks a ton of rear end and the software just needs to catch up to the hardware. We haven't come close to using it to its full potential yet

boz
Oct 16, 2005
My prescription inserts from VR Wave just came in and they are great. Wearing glasses in the Quest 2 was killing me.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Camera passthrough AR is really cool, but all the platforms having differing incompatible implementations is really annoying. Like most native SteamVR headsets have passthough cameras but Valve has done gently caress all to make it usable for developers, and now OpenXR has a really limited implementation where you can't actually access the camera feed (which SteamVR naturally has not added support for).

I recently managed to get SteamVR interface working and projecting correctly, and wrote a UE4 plugin for it. It's fun to play around with.
https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1445302471170183170

Just try to add that refraction on the Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

forest spirit posted:

Yeah there's a really fun simulation systems in there, with the AI creatures you eventually meet and how they interact with the environment which you can manipulate with physics.

I'm just always blown away by games that simulate water and sand physics... knowing that it is essentially the spiritual sequel to From Dust is comforting

Also yeah, the game does get harder. I remember one mission involving leading the paper deer away from paper tigers....

Oh nice! I hadn't played it again yet because I wasn't really looking forward to just walking through an art exhibit - this sounds really good