Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I have watched the thing at least eight times a year since 1995. There is not a better movie in the history of cinema and go gently caress yourself if you think otherwise.

The Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its $5 for 4k version on the microsoft store if you wanna buy it. Idk how the digital version works but its there.

Is it anything like Alien in terms of atmosphere/drama? I watched Alien semi recently and loved everything about it, mostly the practical effects and just the generally eerie atmosphere of space which isn't really a thing anymore.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
They practically own South America

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Its $5 for 4k version on the microsoft store if you wanna buy it. Idk how the digital version works but its there.

Is it anything like Alien in terms of atmosphere/drama? I watched Alien semi recently and loved everything about it, mostly the practical effects and just the generally eerie atmosphere of space which isn't really a thing anymore.

It is the greatest sci-fi/horror movie ever made, get it :milk:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I like Alien a little bit more, but The Thing is a very close second. Watch it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Kosmo Gallion posted:

They practically own South America

:hmmyes:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
well i bought it. ima watch it tomorrow. if this sucks, its your head op

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

well i bought it. ima watch it tomorrow. if this sucks, its your head op

A risk I'm willing to take

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

They have a lot in common, honestly, and I love them both. Well-defined and thoroughly lived in characters, natural relationship dynamics, intense isolation and paranoia, lots of creeping corridors, a hostile environment, a stealthy and intelligent threat, top notch practical effects, and kickass soundtracks. Like Alien it has its explosive moments, but the majority of the film is the characters trying to gain a foothold against anything in the situation. Including each other.

I adore the dolly creeps in the empty hallways set to music imitating a heartbeat. My favorite scene is the conversation between MacReady and Blair with the noose hanging between them. Right up there with the chain room scene in Alien.

I feel like Alien is sliiightly more flawless, but goddamn, do I love them both!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Guys you know you better watch out
Some girls, some girls are only about
The Thing, The Thing, The Thing

Girls you know you better watch out
Some guys, some guys are only about

That Thing Thing Thing Thing Thing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Omg. If you like practical effects then you'll LOVE The Thing. It's very well known for how amazing they are.

Linux Pirate posted:

I like Alien a little bit more, but The Thing is a very close second. Watch it.

For scifi/horror yeah. I agree.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

In our house, if The Thing is on, we're watching it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got the thing right here *points at crotch, which then splits apart into bladed tentacles*

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

a mysterious cloak posted:

In our house, if The Thing is on, we're watching it.

Yeah, definitely one of those channel surfing glue traps.

Movies I like competitively: Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, the Abyss.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
"first time watching The Thing!" has become my favorite sub-genre of reaction videos on youtube.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I decided to watch a bit of it when i got home and jesus pissing christ on a log that dog scene was horrible and somehow made far worse because it was done in practical CGI. I cannot overstate how much I do not want to experience that again. My skin is all itchy. Will finish the rest tomorrow.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I really thought Princess Mononoke was the last time id see something that viscerally disgusting but here we are

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
naked lunch is my thing
ensemble cast vs squirmy practical effects

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

one of my absolute favorite films i put it on at bed time a lot

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"You gotta be fuckin' kidding..."

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I mean I could go gently caress myself but I'd rather gently caress The Thing. They're paying tho if I get rock-burn

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Girls you know you better watch out
Some guys, some guys are only about

That Thing Thing Thing Thing Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amdK30

There's nothing to see here
I'm only a Husky.
Your average adorable rover.
But once I convince you
It's OK to trust me
Your civilization is over!

I can't wait to see their faces
when I spring
'cause they think that I'm a dog.
But I'm The Thing!
(I'm the Thing, baby)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I really thought Princess Mononoke was the last time id see something that viscerally disgusting but here we are

Double posting but who cares. Which part grosses you out? This is literally the movie I watch more than necessary. Is it the big boar puking blood? Cuz yeah it's kinda sick.

I'm not even really an anime person but that movie is dope

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

it was done in practical CGI

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

It's exactly b-movie Alien.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The Thing wins when it comes to visual effects, Alien wins when it comes to creature and set design.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

you cheating bitch! *pours booze in to computer*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sequel was just meh tho. A friend had the video game too and I remember it being competent but ultimately forgettable

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Brother Tadger posted:

Sequel was just meh tho. A friend had the video game too and I remember it being competent but ultimately forgettable

i loved that game. i was a kid though so the whole team mates randomly turning into things actually scared me a lot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The b&w version was also pretty drat good, also.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The Thing is the best movie ever made.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
The Thing is classic cinema. It cant actually be disliked.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Philthy posted:

The b&w version was also pretty drat good, also.

first time I saw it was on a black and white tv and it still kicked rear end.

I prefer it slightly over Alien

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Watch it with the commentary by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell on the audio if you get the disc

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Yeah I felt the same why when I saw my first Anime

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From start to finish I like everything about The Thing. Even the dog delivers a good performance

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I saw this in the theater the weekend it was released in June 1982. Oh man when the dog Thingifies in the dog pen some people just got up and walked out. Then a bunch more bailed in the scene where they defibrillate Norris

Saw this on a Friday and Blade Runner the next day. Both released the same day!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i clicked on this thread to be like "haha gently caress yeah this movie rules" but

Pimpcasso posted:

I have watched the thing at least eight times a year since 1995

goddrat man that is dedication, respect

sad question
May 30, 2020

Some good dog acting in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's pretty good.