Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dorium posted:

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

DYING.

11,000 thousand notes just on the pilot.

I’ve had the very very sad experience of watching a showrunner I like deflate in real time under the weight of studio pressure, going from very sparkly and bubbly on his first showrunner job to husk-like by season wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't find the ITYSL thread

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1450517999413338113

Kanye doesn't want to be around anymore. He's got too much stuff on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Could the Dragon Reborn have an insta account?

Perrin does tough mudder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My notes would be like "Hmm really leaning way too hard into this battle of the sexes stuff and is there a way that smiles can start touching eyes"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

zoux posted:

Ye is the Brian Wilson of hip-hop, and I don't care if you disagree with me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

This Hollow Man remake sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ye is literally the most talented musical artist in history. He can do as he wishes

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What if Nynaeve had a buzz cut?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector 34 posted:

What if Nynaeve had a buzz cut?

BUT THE BRAID TUGGIN

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

I really think Netflix may pull Cowboy Bebop off.

https://youtu.be/_JDWm1f6-M0

I know nothing about the Anime beside there is a corgi(which that alone is enough for me) and I'm fully in for this show.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’ve had the very very sad experience of watching a showrunner I like deflate in real time under the weight of studio pressure, going from very sparkly and bubbly on his first showrunner job to husk-like by season wrap.

Yeesh, its really bad in all creative fields waiting for and receiving loads of feedback (especially late feedback that in my field I often get sucker punched by) but I cant even imagine show/movie production. just seems insurmountable.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Craptacular! posted:

I really have a problem with how much someone in this production loves Tarantino. He may wish to file a restraining order soon.

wtf there weren't any feet in that trailer :confused:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
My wife started watching Ordinary Joe and I’ve seen most of about three episodes with here. I absolutely do not get the point of the show. It’s like a less interesting Sliding Doors and the concept overstays itself welcome quickly. Instead of making one good show, there are three very mediocre ones edited together to make them seem better.

Am I totally off base here? Is there something really good about this show that I’m just missing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only saw the first episode and it's the ultimate designed-by-committee affair. Let's put music, medical, and cop show all at the same time. It's the TV version of a KenTaco Hut.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

I really think Netflix may pull Cowboy Bebop off.

https://youtu.be/_JDWm1f6-M0

Disclaimer: I've never seen the original

The styling on the trailer is fantastic. How do fans feel about John Cho being the lead? I don't know how old the character is supposed to be but Cho is looking every bit of 50.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Slamhound posted:

2000 SciFi Dune remains the best Dune.

Lord deliver us from "Visualists."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nehkPVz9aXA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaius Marius posted:

Ye is literally the most talented musical artist in history. He can do as he wishes

He's so talented the devil met him at a crossroads to sell his soul instead

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Disclaimer: I've never seen the original

The styling on the trailer is fantastic. How do fans feel about John Cho being the lead? I don't know how old the character is supposed to be but Cho is looking every bit of 50.

Spike seems pretty old and world-weary in the series; I think it fits the character better than whatever anime age he’s supposed to be.

E: 27 lol

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 20, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

oh he's definitely too old to play spike. it probably won't be a big deal, but the high collar they've put him in makes him look really stiff in a 'i'm too old to be flipping around' kind of way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spike is world weary in the series cause of the poo poo he's been through. Not because he's two decades too old to play the role and desperately trying to pretend he's still young. Him and vicious were young guns who came up together in their mafia. They shouldn't look like old men

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John Cho probably isn't playing a 27-year-old character in the show

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it changes it to either be like spike and vicious were in the syndicate for 20+ years together, OR all of this happened about 20+ years ago and spike's still drifting. it's not really the same character in either case.

spike wasn't wise or weary from having so much life experience, he was reckless and sarcastic because he didn't really care if he died. he was also pretty immature and childish a lot of the time with jet being the adult. now faye and jet are both about 15 years younger than him, which is a different dynamic. unless they totally ignore that.

so yeah he's too old to play spike unless they're changing stuff. they might just completely ignore it. he can be all right in the role despite being too old for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dorium posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/why-was-y-the-last-man-canceled-1235033351/

Just a whole bunch of horrible things coming up one after another killed the show. crazy.

Wait the lady behind The Killing was the EP here? Well, no wonder.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dorium posted:

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-amazons-wheel-of-time

DYING.

11,000 thousand notes just on the pilot.

Amazon exec: can we replace all the actors with drones?

e: my only complaint with Cho (unfair as it is since it hasn't come out yet) is that Spike is supposed to be a playful rogue, and all his sadness and fuckedupness only bubbles to the surface sometimes in the rare occasion when someone from his past shows up.

This is Spike from the show/movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utLWiscq8d4

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 20, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
In the 80s/90s (and itt, I guess), anyone over the age of 29 is basically dead already...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Wait the lady behind The Killing was the EP here? Well, no wonder.

Nope, that was Veena Sud. Eliza Clarke just worked on the middle two seasons I think.

(Also Seasons 3 and 4 of The Killing are really, really good. I remember when the AV Club's meme went from being "gently caress You, The Killing" to "gently caress" -- You, The Killing. Those were good times.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who is apparently never content with making progress on their backlog ever I’m considering starting King of the Hill for the first time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In the 80s/90s (and itt, I guess), anyone over the age of 29 is basically dead already...

Anime is full of 13yo protagonists saving the world, 20 is aarp eligible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Which is, of course why Beboop stood out. The 27 year old was....a 27 year old. The 36 year old was a 36 year old. Even the child hacker comes off as a child.

John Cho is way to old to play Spike in any way that captures who the character is or what they do, which means of course that you have to change who the character is and what they do. It's doubtful they can do it better, which really only leaves worse on the table. Still could be fun though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

Which is, of course why Beboop stood out. The 27 year old was....a 27 year old. The 36 year old was a 36 year old. Even the child hacker comes off as a child.

John Cho is way to old to play Spike in any way that captures who the character is or what they do, which means of course that you have to change who the character is and what they do. It's doubtful they can do it better, which really only leaves worse on the table. Still could be fun though.

I'm not sure that's true tbh, certainly so given the trailer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not sure that's true tbh, certainly so given the trailer.

If the entire show was that trailer it'd be insufferable, and he doesn't feel like Spike. And Vicious looks loving ridiculous. He looks like a C+ cosplayer of Vicious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

I only saw the first episode and it's the ultimate designed-by-committee affair. Let's put music, medical, and cop show all at the same time. It's the TV version of a KenTaco Hut.

Me and my roommate didn't even make it to the half-way point of the pilot.

In discussions with her, I like the idea, but it's just garbage for execution. If you're going to show how someone is across multiple timelines, make at least one of the timelines batshit insane. Like in one timeline he could be an office drone just like everyone else, but in the other timeline he's an alien bounty hunter or something exciting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's an adaptation. Things change in adaptation. It's not the same as the original by nature, and it shouldn't be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, but in order to take advantage of that you have to be systemic. Whereas this seems piecemeal. Here's a recent example to spell out what I mean, the adaptation of Y: The Last Man. They added a bunch of new poo poo to the story, updating some of the themes to the times, but that's it. They just added a bunch of new poo poo. They didn't meaningfully alter the original story in a way that makes that new poo poo seem organic to what they were doing with the characters or overall plot. They just put some stuff in there and also kept the old stuff and expected it to....just sort of work I guess?

You can't do that. You can't just change things without taking into account the context of what they mean for the story. I know for a fact even before Bebop releases that they are doing a variation of the original story, because they've already cast all the loving parts. There's Vicious and Green Bird in that trailer, both seeming hilariously out of place, as they call their shot. They've changed something, and appear to be telling the same story, without any care for what that change means to the context of the story. And that's innately a bad move.

It doesn't doom them or anything [Ridiculous looking Vicious isn't a great sign though, it's impossible to take that guy seriously as an antagonist], it's just a poor choice.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Cowboy Bebop looks cool and good OP, just watch the anime again if you've already decided this adaptation is bad

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probably will, but hey they might pull it off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why are you starting with the assumption that they made the change without updating the context? There's been zero indication one way or the other.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Honestly asking "what would have made people happy," at this point?

Vicious looks like a cosplayer? Ummm...have you seen Vicious in the original, or any cosplayers lately?

I dunno, guys, I'm starting to think all adaptations are just a bad idea...the endless "I haven't seen the thing yet (because it isn't out, yet) but here is a list of all of the things that are wrong and why the series (which I haven't seen) will not work and will fall apart" is tedious and boring to read. Changes from the source material aren't even a bellweather for badness: :bsg: and The Expanse have both made major changes to positive effect.

I'm honestly wondering what joy there is in simply pointing out every difference that you can find in an episode or trailers and holding them up like Simba as proof incarnate that this media is trash-garbage.

As someone who has been getting a lot of catharsis shitposting in the GoT thread: is this all just pent-up aggression at how the most high-profile adaptation in the last 20 years poo poo the bed? Not everything can be Lord of the Rings.

feedmyleg posted:

Why are you starting with the assumption that they made the change without updating the context? There's been zero indication one way or the other.

Basically this. People are like ~oh but why do you hate discussion~ but there really isn't anything to discuss if people are just posting :speculate: with no context besides a wall of book spoilers. It's also stupid to expect people (who are still enjoying a thing) to interact with someone's shitposting when they clearly hate the thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As someone who was 27 yesterday and 42 today, the extreme whinging about John Cho's age and how it just doesn't work for the character kinda doesn't sit well with me (including how he can't possibly have the same dynamic with younger crewmates.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I've watched the anime a bunch of times going back to when it first aired on Adult Swim and not only was I never really sure of Spikes age, I also don't think it was something that defined his character. You can be reckless and cocky in your mid 30s. Or an actor can play younger than their age, I don't think John Cho looks 20 but he sure doesn't look 50 and Spike could easily be in his mid 30s with Jet in his mid 40s.