Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Man, I don't know if I liked it. It was an objectively better movie than lynch's, but honestly the first half of this story is not really the exciting half, and it's gonna be a long rear end while before we get to the good stuff.

The music was... fine, but zimmer is honestly hit or miss on memorable themes, and this is no interstellar. I actually prefer the lynch soundtrack yes i know it's toto, fight me. I have to give the production design to lynch as well, that's the one (and only) thing that movie absolutely nails out of the park 100% of the time.

The ornithopters were loving rad, though.

I really liked the themes they're using from the books that lynch didn't include, specifically the beginning of paul's obsessive premonitions of jihad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just let Carpenter Brut do it like he did Blood Machines

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Beast Rabban would have a confederate flag in his home

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Man, I don't know if I liked it. It was an objectively better movie than lynch's, but honestly the first half of this story is not really the exciting half, and it's gonna be a long rear end while before we get to the good stuff.

If we do! That's the real rub. This could be it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DeimosRising posted:

The book doesn't really do anything to sell that he's so charismatic either. It just sort of assumes he is, and that "works" to an extent because we don't actually see him or anything.

A little late here. I just have been reading the book for the first time and it works within the context of the novel because mostly the Fremen want to believe in him because of their legends and he fits on at least a high level. He wouldn't have to work hard to do so.

But to your point, that doesn't mean Paul is *actually* charismatic. Honestly he comes off as a petulant little poo poo to me. Smart but still.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think my favorite paul scene in this was when he tries to pitch kynes on 'lol just make me the emperor'. I think that scene conveyed his intelligence/charisma/developing instincts moreso than anywhere else did, while also nicely showing that he has a really long way to go still

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSvz3p4vrw

Wish it included the FMV from the games but oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nehkPVz9aXA

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 20, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished watching. Extremely loving good. I wish it had more, but that is an impossible ask. What we got is still great and really well done. I am so happy with this adaptation of one of my favorite books.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The music was... fine, but zimmer is honestly hit or miss on memorable themes, and this is no interstellar. I actually prefer the lynch soundtrack yes i know it's toto, fight me. I have to give the production design to lynch as well, that's the one (and only) thing that movie absolutely nails out of the park 100% of the time.

Did you at least catch the Lynch Dune theme song near the end

I dunno, I had a loving orgasm over the soundtrack.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This movie loving ruled. Can't wait to watch it again as a lot of the dialog was sorta muddy. I hope to god we get part 2. Everything was perfect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Did you at least catch the Lynch Dune theme song near the end

I dunno, I had a loving orgasm over the soundtrack.

I missed that!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I was hoping that (book spoilers) they'd make it clear that the bene gesserit planted the fremen prophecies on arrakis eons ago as part of their spooky plans, and that jessica knows exactly which myth was planted. This is important because I really don't want to see paul end up the way he did in the lynch film, a literal, magical god of prophecy. The fact that paul is Just a Dude and the prophecy is bullshit is fairly central to the whole god drat premise.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Just saw an advanced screening on IMAX with my cousin. It's an astonishing movie. Honestly I can only nitpick things here and there, and would have not hesitated to sit through another hour of it. Give me a fuckin extended cut, Denis.

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

I'm going again on Friday. So loving stoked. I'll think of more to post later but at the moment I'm kind of just blown away and overwhelmned.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wouldn't really call it a handful. The steppe peoples in Asia pretty much constantly ravaged their neighbors (Eastern Europe, Arabs, and China) up until the invention of gunpowder.

IIRC one of that dude's points is that the steppe peoples' successes are remarkable because they're the exceptions rather than the rule. They were always a problem on the borders but as long as the settled societies they were harrassing were stable (usually when they weren't involved in internal conflict) they weren't much of a problem.

Every so often some charismatic leader would unite the disparate tribes and then they would be a huge problem, but this generally didn't happen, and when it did their successes tended to be fairly short lived, usually not lasting much beyond when said charismatic leader died. Having little to no civil or legal infrastructure is a big problem for longevity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I was hoping that (book spoilers) they'd make it clear that the bene gesserit planted the fremen prophecies on arrakis eons ago as part of their spooky plans, and that jessica knows exactly which myth was planted. This is important because I really don't want to see paul end up the way he did in the lynch film, a literal, magical god of prophecy. The fact that paul is Just a Dude and the prophecy is bullshit is fairly central to the whole god drat premise.

The sci-fi level is that he's a normal dude other than being an aristocrat with a shitload of education no one else has access to (including poo poo the Bene Gesserit don't usually share with men), but he was also eugenically selected to have one important advantage: being the best at taking space drugs.

Even on this level all it really allows him to do is see his place in the bs prophecy in really high resolution. So in psychologically realistic (I guess) terms, he's basically he's a guy who can "see the future" because he understand the context and his role in what is happening. And who takes drugs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmAizA26KPo

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The movie at least makes it very clear at least that the 'chosen one' prophecy was manufactured/hyped up ahead of the Atreides arriving.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

DeafNote posted:

The movie at least makes it very clear at least that the 'chosen one' prophecy was manufactured/hyped up ahead of the Atreides arriving.

I sailed forth and boldly acquired the film by letter of marque, but haven't watched it. In the book, though, the Baron is planning on using his own clumsier version by having Feyd kill the Beast Raban and then Paul steals the whole show. They might save that for the next one though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Dune rock opera would be worth it just for the moment when Dr. Yueh unplugs the Atreides amps.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
As someone with next to zero knowledge about Dune apart from trying and failing to play the 90s game as a kid, I thought the film was awesome. I liked the minimalism, and some of the scenes were amazing. I was absolutely in awe at the harvester scene, holy gently caress you could really get a feel for the sheer size and power of the sandworms. The scene on the other planet where the Harkonnen dude was recruiting the elite soldiers was super cool too, that weird as gently caress chant/throat singing thing made it super atmospheric.

I really hope part 2 gets made because I love good weird sci fi. I also bought the book too so I can actually finally get round to reading it all.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 20, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Presents: Dune

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes please

alternatively

Yes, please (but only if they time travel)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Baron von Eevl posted:

GY!BE is still going and as far as I know are still firmly opposed to using their music in movies, out at least blockbuster Hollywood movies.

but they also don't copyright their music, which is why you get cool things like GY!BE in 28 Days Later (which the band approved of, eventually, i think) but you also get that LOST commercial that uses A Silver Mt. Zion in it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Failed Imagineer posted:

oh my god i would die, i would actually die

it would be great

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

This is an awful lot of words to say something that doesn't really apply to Dune. I mean yes, some of these tropes are deployed, but the Fremen succeed primarily because they have Space Jesus and Space Mary in their midst and also ride around on gargantuan undefeatable worms.

I have always taken away that the entire point of the Fremen is not that they were the noble savages at all, but that they were a highly industrialized, specialized society that put a great deal into hiding the fact that they were. Like they just outright state multiple times "Oh gently caress there are a lot more Fremen and their technology is just as advanced as ours." They are just playing a different game than every else (terraforming Dune) while allowing the imperium to fight over (a perceived) control of Dune -- which the imperium never truly had

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have always taken away that the entire point of the Fremen is not that they were the noble savages at all, but that they were a highly industrialized, specialized society that put a great deal into hiding the fact that they were. Like they just outright state multiple times "Oh gently caress there are a lot more Fremen and their technology is just as advanced as ours." They are just playing a different game than every else (terraforming Dune) while allowing the imperium to fight over (a perceived) control of Dune -- which the imperium never truly had

part of Paul being important here is (okay spoilers since some people are reading the book atm i guess) a) being willing to use the knowledge of how to destroy spice completely as a sincere MAD option, b) being able to make a legit claim to the imperial Throne, c) having literal House nukes to create a massive tactical advantage by using them against the landscape instead of primarily human targets. oh wait also d) Jessica and Paul teach the Fremen space king fu which makes them outright better fighters than anyone else literally anywhere. This is mostly a metaphor for teaching stuff like appropriate combat doctrines that allow this or that "native" army or unit to perform on a level equal to British troops back when that mattered and so forth.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 20, 2021

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

AwkwardKnob posted:

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

Yeah I understand why, though I was a lot more bothered by how there doesn't seem to be any Arab among the cast. It's a pretty enduring trend that when scifi or fantasy movies have non-White characters they tend to default to casting Black actors.

Fart Car '97 posted:

They're Sand Wakanda, just not as outrageously opulent so the rugged facade isn't that much of one.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

YaketySass posted:

They're Sand Wakanda, just not as outrageously opulent so the rugged facade isn't that much of one.

This made me look up which came first. I thought for sure that the publication of Dune largely predated the first comic with Wakanda, but I was wrong -- Dune came out in 65, and the first series with Wakanda came out in 66, not even a year apart. Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Eason the Fifth posted:

Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

I think in general society produces weirdos that are proportionally weird to how straight the rest of society is, so it makes sense

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eason the Fifth posted:

Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Yeah but in the culture at the time these were niche products for ur-goons, weirdos, and children. The mainstream was neo-suburbanites getting really excited by a new Dave Brubeck record and ordering a pair of chinos from the Sears catalog

Now thanks to Disney this poo poo is the coin of the cultural realm and you have like... presidential candidates saying Wakanda Forever

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

This made me look up which came first. I thought for sure that the publication of Dune largely predated the first comic with Wakanda, but I was wrong -- Dune came out in 65, and the first series with Wakanda came out in 66, not even a year apart. Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Decolonization was a thing back then.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They made it abundantly clear imo, clearer even than I remember the books being about it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They made it abundantly clear imo, clearer even than I remember the books being about it

Wow, i'll have to pay attention on a second watch then lol.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

Or it could be that this TV show isn't a fully accurate picture of the era in question.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

i don't know why i suffered through that, but no. this guy is horribly wrong.

paul didn't choose his path because his upbringing taught him to be a colonizer, that's explicitly not the point. he saw the jihad and chose it anyway because his real choices were 1. the painful extinction of humanity or 2. become a freaky god-worm and subjugate the human race for thousands of years. he saw the golden path, he just couldn't make that choice so he kicked the can down the road to his grandkids because he's a loving wanker.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I agree, it's kinda spread out over two or three scenes, but it's there.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I always thought that the Atreides invented ornithopters but it seems like they kind of come with the planet and are optimized for Dune's weather, but everyone seems really comfortable piloting them like they've done it a million times.

I really, really enjoyed the aesthetic of the Atreides technology in this movie. Everything is just massive and looks like giant slabs of concrete that slide around together and shift and fold. The giant ships and the smaller one that Idaho gets out of in his first scene. Goddamn.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ornithopters are very common in the duniverse. They always struck me as more of a 60's sci-fi "in the future machines will emulate nature" sort of a thing, though yeah showing the cool Atreides jet in the beginning kind of gave the impression that thopters were an "Arakkis" thing even if that's not the case.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i have a powerful urge to replay the old PC games. i only have super vague memories of the first one, the one that was like a visual novel instead of an RTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/Homeworld_Deserts_of_Kharak/ is a good Dune inspired game if anyone wants something more modern.