Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

I've always assumed that's because it's designed to be so customizable it spends all that time looking up config settings and grinding through layers of abstraction and redirection

god it's probably like our old form generator thing that piped data from XML through xsl to XML again then JavaScript to html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

serious question how is jira so incredibly slow? it's consistently and uniformly slow regardless of the number of issues in a project

because everything is a plugin and it doesnt have a real API so everything is like a 100 REST requests

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not all plugins are bad, its just that you have to be careful what you install because most of them are bad. the most important quality in a jira administrator is their ability to ignore plugin installation requests from project managers.

other issues are the atrocious data design and the ui being entirely javascript

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

loving lol just looked at our internal confluence page. 20mb of resources and 6 second load time.

one of the resources is a 322kb PNG of a magnifying glass

e: actual page size 18kb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol i looked that up and they thought they'd get clever by batching all the css for the page together instead of having individual css files, but instead they hosed it up and caused the page to generate dynamic files on every page load which makes them completely uncacheable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
but what if a manager changes the issue field set while I'm constantly reloading a ticket

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

because everything is a plugin and it doesnt have a real API so everything is like a 100 REST requests

It's also older than God so it has an ancient architecture and has to remain backwards compatible with lots of stuff.

We get lots of requests for Jira to implement Markdown instead of their Jira-specific syntax, and folks just don't get that Jira first came out in 2002, way before Markdown was even a glimmer in the milkman's eye.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

lol i looked that up and they thought they'd get clever by batching all the css for the page together instead of having individual css files, but instead they hosed it up and caused the page to generate dynamic files on every page load which makes them completely uncacheable.

Cache-Control: lomarf

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

minato posted:

folks just don't get that Jira first came out in 2002, way before Markdown was even a glimmer in the milkman's eye.

this take sucks. the fact that jira is old is in no way an excuse for it not being able to handle markdown (if indeed it cant, i havent used it for a few years). "no, you just don't understand! we simply cannot let you take a picture to deposit your check - this bank was founded in 1850 before electronic banking was even a glimmer in the milkman's eye!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I inherited some weirdo open source derived wiki at work and every so often I get asked if I've migrated it to confluence yet and as far as I can tell it was based around using regexes to parse everything so I think my answer is "gently caress that" and I'll just screen scrape everything into static pages and mail them to the owners as an archive.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also holy gently caress do the PMs love jira now they got some plugin that creates a structure from it. Anyone ever seen a dashboard that aggregates thousands of jiras presented as evidence of progress? I have and it's loving disgusting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jira? the french metal band?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Michael Jira of Swans

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

jira? the french metal band?

jira is the written in Java

you're thinking of the one written in golang

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jira smells like it’s been cooking onions

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

eye-OH-lee

i have always heard the first syllable pronounced like a long “ā”, as in how the fonze says “eyyy” rather than like a long “ī” sound…

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

get out of my head

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCM4_5uB1ww

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

lament.cfg posted:

Michael Jira of Swans
Well that certainly explains why it's so long between albims

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Don't dox me

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Woah at still being sensitive enough to notice certain applications being slower or faster than others. It's an all-perpuating slog, every tool takes 2 seconds to display 500 bytes of actual data, who cares if this other one takes 4, I don't care anymore, that's just the way she goes, buddy. It's progress they say.
Nothing matters, face to jira or embrace escapism by playing with your apple ][ or something.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/thatlittledemon/status/1450873718557847552?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the hell is public liability insurance !???

is that because i’m a liability to the public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SpaceX documentation