Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Did you at least catch the Lynch Dune theme song near the end

I dunno, I had a loving orgasm over the soundtrack.
Not only does Hans Zimmer reference Brian Enos Prophecy Theme as played by TOTO, I swear there are sequences throughout the movie that sound like they're inspired from the MIDI files of Dune II: Battle For Arrakis.

Also, :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Future dictators being weird dudes is very realistic. Read napoleon's journals, the guy was a profoundly weird young man

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I also really appreciate that the different groups have variations on the different technologies; Harkonnen Sandcrawlers look different than those used by Atreides, as do the ornithopters.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hakkesshu posted:

This is an awful lot of words to say something that doesn't really apply to Dune. I mean yes, some of these tropes are deployed, but the Fremen succeed primarily because they have Space Jesus and Space Mary in their midst and also ride around on gargantuan undefeatable worms.

They don't ride the worms on other planets. The worms couldn't survive the humidity. The Fremen succeed in the Jihad because they are by far the greatest warriors in the universe and they have absolute faith in the righteousness of their cause.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's more that the Sardaukar have no idea what they're up against and also they are at an extreme disadvantage in that environment. Obviously the Fremen are real good at fighting, but I always thought it was a Vietnam parallel more than anything, considering when the book came out.

The Sardaukar are themselves so capable and deadly because they are raised and trained on a similarly deadly world. That's the real reason why the prison planet Salusa Secundus is so important to the emperor. They get clowned by the Fremen because the Fremen spent their lives on the one planet even more deadly than SS, and the Fremen learned BG space Karate.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have always taken away that the entire point of the Fremen is not that they were the noble savages at all, but that they were a highly industrialized, specialized society that put a great deal into hiding the fact that they were. Like they just outright state multiple times "Oh gently caress there are a lot more Fremen and their technology is just as advanced as ours." They are just playing a different game than every else (terraforming Dune) while allowing the imperium to fight over (a perceived) control of Dune -- which the imperium never truly had

Yes. The Fremen are way more advanced than anyone else realizes (except maybe the Guild). But also, they have learned to survive in basically the worst possible environment that humans could still eek out survival in.

Remember the old Fremen saying: "God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You can't do a Dune rock opera because David Bowie is too dead to be Paul, Steve Perry is too old to be Gurney Halleck, Mick Jagger is too old to be the Emperor, and Stevie Nicks is too old to be Moiham.

1977 was the last chance.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not only does Hans Zimmer reference Brian Enos Prophecy Theme as played by TOTO, I swear there are sequences throughout the movie that sound like they're inspired from the MIDI files of Dune II: Battle For Arrakis.

hans zimmer is really good at being "inspired" by musical themes from other sources. he's so good at it that he got sued by the estate of gustav holst for a song in the gladiator soundtrack sounding a bit too much like "mars" from the planets. he is also a huge dune nerd so it wouldn't be too surprising if he is familiar with the games

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

also, ICNICICS

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1450854328319807489

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hans zimmer is really good at being "inspired" by musical themes from other sources. he's so good at it that he got sued by the estate of gustav holst for a song in the gladiator soundtrack sounding a bit too much like "mars" from the planets. he is also a huge dune nerd so it wouldn't be too surprising if he is familiar with the games

At least Zimmer was intentionally ripping off Mars in a context that made sense (Rome, war, terror), whereas John Williams has just sailed on stealing from Holst for his entire career

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The existence of shields and the lack of space battles in the Dune universe makes the Fremen taking over much more believable in my mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The existence of shields and the lack of space battles in the Dune universe makes the Fremen taking over much more believable in my mind.

The Houses also barely have armies. Actual war is far too expensive in the Duniverse to be worth it usually.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the whole "numerical inferiority" thing gets turned around when you realize the Atreides empire has a total monopoly on strategic mobility. No one else can go anywhere.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

AlternateAccount posted:

You can't do a Dune rock opera because David Bowie is too dead to be Paul, Steve Perry is too old to be Gurney Halleck, Mick Jagger is too old to be the Emperor, and Stevie Nicks is too old to be Moiham.

1977 was the last chance.

Sting could be Emperor Shaddam IV though.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I've always assumed that the various other planets/groups who the Bene Gesserit had seeded with their prophecies would side with the Fremen, although I dunno if that's reflected in the books.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

With the exception of special effects rendering, I found this movie to be DRASTICALLY inferior in comparison to the 84 Dune movie.

1. Nothing was as cool as seeing the full sized prop of the guild navigator arriving at the Emperor's chamber
2. Nothing was as imaginative as watching space get folded by the navigators during the crossing, in this movie they just cut from Caladan to Arrakis showing us nothing. Weak.
3. Zimmer's score was BAD compared to the 84 score and I'm aware that the score at the end references the 84 movie. Doesn't make up for the score being awful throughout the movie.
4. Nothing in the movie helped to explain the Harkonnen and Atreides rivalry like the sequence when the Baron responds to the Duke's letter then floats off to attack the flower boy and pull out his heart plug.
5. No pugs.

2/5: Boring, Beige, and Bloated. I'll be surprised if part 2 ever gets made.

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 20, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Sting could be Emperor Shaddam IV though.

And Harry Styles can be Feyd.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I still cannot remember anything from the David Lynch soundtrack except the main theme and that one big moment (you know the one).
Then again I've barely seen that movie too. I just feel the zimmer soundtrack is fine.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I remember the credits theme for the original because it was hilariously out of place.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Remember the end of Lynch Dune when Paul became an actual god?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
edit: n/m someone else already said it, with spoiler alerts which may be good there

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Houses also barely have armies. Actual war is far too expensive in the Duniverse to be worth it usually.

also the guild would technically have veto power if they just refused to move troops around, unless the houses reverted to old tech and took decades to fly between planets

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
"he who controls the spice controls the universe" is meant to be taken pretty literally. it doesn't leave a lot of room for war if one faction controls all the oil. i mean spice. oil, it's oil. spice gas. fill 'er up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

G-III posted:

5. No pugs!!!!!

2/5: Boring, Beige, and Bloated. I'll be surprised if part 2 ever gets made.

yeah when chani says "this is just the beginning" i laughed out loud

e: they did cut a lot of characterful stuff and replaced it with... nothing, since the movie was still pretty slow but rushed at the same time.

no catty interplay between paul and the reverend mother
no mention of jessica having a son in defiance of the BG
no water ritual with the dead bodies
no paul giving water to the dead
no gerny doing a song
no baron liking young boys

then you consider how Dune 84 added like half a dozen iconic lines and visuals, this film just subtracted stuff mostly.

also in their haste to not cast any arabs at all, the end of the movie ended up being the whitest actor ever born being forced to kill an incoherently roaring black man was a bit of a weird image
i dunno that whole thing seemed like they tried to sanitise the movie and ended up being more eyebrow raising than the original "drat space muslims are BADASS and totally crazy!"

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 20, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Communist Thoughts posted:

This was in there. The Reverend Mother chastises Jessica for not having only daughters as she's about to leave on her ship.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Lynch Dune is a mess with some interesting bits, but if you're going to watch a mess with some interesting bits I'd rather watch Zardoz

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

no baron liking young boys

yeah.... gently caress this movie 1/5 stars

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
Unless I completely missed it, they also didn't explain what a mentat is.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

AwkwardKnob posted:

yeah.... gently caress this movie 1/5 stars

The baron is a weird freakish perv who was bred to be evil and LOVES it.
Even after he dies to a toddler he still lives on as a ghost who is so horny he nearly brings down the empire

'21 baron was extremely boring imo

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Speaking of mentats, I liked that little bit where when the mentats are doing calculations their eyes roll back. Or was that supposed to be like the lens that goes over a crocodile’s eyes when they go underwater?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Speaking of mentats, I liked that little bit where when the mentats are doing calculations their eyes roll back. Or was that supposed to be like the lens that goes over a crocodile’s eyes when they go underwater?

Yeah I liked that too
More thufir, more of anyone really.
Don't feel like anyone really got a chance to shine despite having a mostly good cast

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really liked how they made the Baron more bull like, rather than just a fat slob, as kind of an echo of the bull that brought down Leto's father. Also the kind of obvious Kurtz / Apocalypse Now reference made me think of the bull slaughter scene in that.

I love 84 Dune as its own thing, but this was drat near a perfect movie for me.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

yeah when chani says "this is just the beginning" i laughed out loud

e: they did cut a lot of characterful stuff and replaced it with... nothing, since the movie was still pretty slow but rushed at the same time.

To be fair this exchange did happen but the dialog delivery in this movie is rapid fire speed so it was easy to miss. That was the other weird aspect of this: everyone is just machine gunning through dialog in the most unnatural way.

quote:

also in their haste to not cast any arabs at all, the end of the movie ended up being the whitest actor ever born being forced to kill an incoherently roaring black man was a bit of a weird image

The only way this works without it being seen as awful is if somehow they make part 2 and however many parts it takes to tell Dune Messiah because only by then is it obvious that 'white saviors are bad, actually' gets pulled off. Given what bland forgettable movie this was I doubt they'll make it that far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Jamis roaring and basically having a breakdown was tragic. I mean he’s a loud aggressive idiot but that whole sequence of his total confusion and defeat and then complete misunderstanding and accidental humiliation was really tragic and kinda heartbreaking.

Edit: it’s telling that the movie is kind of a goofy failure in that regard, since Duncan dying has functionally zero impact by comparison.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paddyo posted:

By who? (Don't say Toto)

I would throw Dream Theater's hat into the ring since one of their very, very early songs is based on Dune, but they also dropped that piece of Astonishit a few years ago so...

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

While I wish the dinner scene on Arrakis was in the movie, most of it is inner monologue. I mean most of Dune's dialog is internally or secret conversations between characters. I suppose they left out a lot so they didn't need to spend tangents explaining what they are (navigators, how interstellar space is done on giant ships where you're not allowed to look who is next to you, or even how Paul is being trained as a mentat). Same goes with the secret green house that the previous BG leaves Jessica notes in.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mousku posted:

Unless I completely missed it, they also didn't explain what a mentat is.

they have one line about thinking machines being proscribed due to their historical abuse by tyrants, and that's it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

The baron is a weird freakish perv who was bred to be evil and LOVES it.
Even after he dies to a toddler he still lives on as a ghost who is so horny he nearly brings down the empire

'21 baron was extremely boring imo

abusing his granddaughter from beyond the grave by making her have lots of sex he gets off on while semi-possessing her being the closest thing to a trans allegory i can recall in the series is sort of the chef's kiss on the baron's "gently caress you" to the reader

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
re: sex in the dune series: let's be extremely thankful they'll never make it to chapterhouse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SPACE HOMOS posted:

While I wish the dinner scene on Arrakis was in the movie, most of it is inner monologue. I mean most of Dune's dialog is internally or secret conversations between characters. I suppose they left out a lot so they didn't need to spend tangents explaining what they are (navigators, how interstellar space is done on giant ships where you're not allowed to look who is next to you, or even how Paul is being trained as a mentat). Same goes with the secret green house that the previous BG leaves Jessica notes in.

They could have done the dinner scene but just had everyone milling around mixing instead of sitting at a table, then you could have all of that be spoken dialogue between characters as they pass by or whatever.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

re: sex in the dune series: let's be extremely thankful they'll never make it to chapterhouse.

it will be the final season of Dune on HBO and people will hate it like they hated GoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

Spergin Morlock posted:

it will be the final season of Dune on HBO and people will hate it like they hated GoT

If they learn about kegels its going to be unbearable.