Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For the past couple weeks, I've been running into a problem where Chrome will completely stop loading a page. There will be usually be an image that is only half loaded somewhere. The loading symbol on the tab is still spinning. If I tell it to stop loading and then reload, nothing happens. If I try to open a new tab or window, nothing loads, even after closing the original tab. Soon other applications will start having loading problems too, such as games or discord. Eventually I have to hard reset my computer because even the shutdown process hangs. This usually happens every few hours, and mostly here on the forums (though that could just be because I spend a lot of time here).

If I open up the task manager, I can see that there's still a chrome.exe process running, even if I close every Chrome tab and window. If I try to end the task, it keeps running. If I go to details and try to end it, it gives me an "access denied" error.

I've tried deleting my cache, deleting my browser data, deleting my cookies, and reinstalling Chrome. Nothing seems to work.

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run https://www.hdsentinel.com/ to check the health of your drive(s).

If your drive is okay then I'd try another browser like Firefox and see if it freezes as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zogo posted:

Run https://www.hdsentinel.com/ to check the health of your drive(s).

If your drive is okay then I'd try another browser like Firefox and see if it freezes as well.

I tried HD sentinel and it told me everything was A-OK. I also tried moving chrome to another drive, and it still happened. I'll give firefox a shot for now.