Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shoeberto posted:

I am also having a hard time finding a movie to put me in the mood for the spooky season. Last year I found the Suspiria remake which was pretty solid. Haven't really had anything grab me this year.

I think I'm just kinda bored of movies, it sucks.

do you have netflix? haunting of hill house/bly manor were pretty good mini serieses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have more disk space on my NAS now so i could do with some movies to fill it with too

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

do you have netflix? haunting of hill house/bly manor were pretty good mini serieses.

that's super weak beep

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Later the dude takes a trip on a yet-to-be-finished railroad (that used Oregon pine, no less) in the Chilean Andes that will connect to Mendoza and facilitate trade!! Dude was writing with a business audience in mind. I read it before traveling down there myself and the bus from Mendoza to Santiago de Chile goes right by those tracks, which have been abandoned to the forces of nature decades now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
well i liked them. :colbert:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my personal pick for 2021 halloween is VHS 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opnSln8Ue2U

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's not good but ratman and blade armed body horror loving own

oh man and the well armed militia story

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i want to watch tetsuo: the iron man at some point but also i dont do well with body horror so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it just doesn’t really interest me

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

President Beep posted:

lol, I started hill house a few weeks ago at the rec of a friend, maybe I should just follow through (I am fuckin terrible at finishing shows)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hbag posted:

i want to watch tetsuo: the iron man at some point but also i dont do well with body horror so

it's not that bad, it's more of an art movie that's been hyped up

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Let's all watch Indiana Jones 4 to see how it aged

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'll hook you up, what do you like? can you handle horror gore?

Negative, my gore/torture tolerance is very low. I've had trouble with certain episodes of Gray's Anatomy when my wife watched it. Small or really OTT stuff is fine (Evil Dead 2 is one of my all time favorite movies) but generally I just like stuff that's creepy/trippy/moody.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

Negative, my gore/torture tolerance is very low. I've had trouble with certain episodes of Gray's Anatomy when my wife watched it. Small or really OTT stuff is fine (Evil Dead 2 is one of my all time favorite movies) but generally I just like stuff that's creepy/trippy/moody.

oh rubber horror gore is okay

I would say Natural Born Killers then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLKNclOtLg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shoeberto posted:

I am also having a hard time finding a movie to put me in the mood for the spooky season. Last year I found the Suspiria remake which was pretty solid. Haven't really had anything grab me this year.

I think I'm just kinda bored of movies, it sucks.

if you want something kid-friendly but very good, Over the Garden Wall is incredible good and very October-vibes

Sleepy Hollow is also a bad-yet-good movie for october icabod vibes.

Trick R' Treat is a mandatory halloween night-after-kids-stop-coming vibe movie, but also good to watch it before halloween if you'd rather.

Then just getting into actual spooky movies there's some new-ish ones the past few years like:
Midsommar
Heridarity
Color out of Space
Mandy

A longer list would be
In The Mouth of Madness (john carpenter ftw)
The Thing (john carpenter ftw)
The Fog (john carpenter ftw)
Pontypool
It Follows
Rec
Session 9
Jacob's Ladder
Rocky Horror
Frighteners
Evil Dead
The Mummy (the good one, not the bad one)
Les Diabolique
Arsenic and Old Lace

also lots of old pre-1970 monster movies are pretty good.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's not that bad, it's more of an art movie that's been hyped up

i really loving like the poster for the sequel

look at this poo poo
sick as hell

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that's super weak beep

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the thing is on netflix. watch that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I recommend Natural Born Killers because it's scary now that you're old

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Natural Born Killers is great

Rodney Dangerfield is in it and his part is really hosed up and he plays it so well

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hbag go to bed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

i would like to state for the record i swapped out that one drive with another one and it turns out it was just that one drive eating poo poo, the others work fine

the drive that the SMART monitor said was failing and that you needed to replace?

how about that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways hbag will either retreat to irc and die fat and mad or will straighten up a little bit and we'll get to watch their path from junior support ticket person to junior devops and in 11 years will finally understand all the poo poo we're howling about and make this cringe rear end `You Were Right.` post comprising of 3,270 words and 41 paragraphs but it'll be too late so let's just look forward to that content

loving the optimism that this place will still be around in 11 years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rather than watching scary movies y'all should just play phasmophobia. it's 13 dollars and extremely creepy and a ton of fun with friends. (don't play with pubbies, they ruin the mood)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol if you don’t sit around the camp fire telling stories, like that caveman family in the opening sequence of amazing stories. lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

rather than watching scary movies y'all should just play phasmophobia. it's 13 dollars and extremely creepy and a ton of fun with friends. (don't play with pubbies, they ruin the mood)

i would also make a point out of ruining the mood though

[ghoul knocks something off a desk]
"oi watch it dickhead"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hbag posted:

"oi watch it dickhead"

it's 4am

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

no its 3:20 AM
and i dont have any classes tomorrow
let me loving enjoy my night jesus christ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

"oi watch it dickhead"

sounds like you're a pubby.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Fool posted:

loving the optimism that this place will still be around in 11 years

we survived two decades of lowtax, a decade and change of jeff will be a breeze

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

sounds like you're a pubby.

a j4g, except the guild is fyad

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

we survived two decades of lowtax, a decade and change of jeff will be a breeze
I can't wait until it turns out that jeff is actually lowtax, like that episode of Red Dwarf

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_67t6I_beg

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hbag posted:

no its 3:20 AM

that's so much better

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

graph posted:

that's so much better

40 minutes better, to be exact

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Gonna be an early night for me I think. Woodworking got cut short because I’m drilling a series of dowel supports with a hole saw and it’s killing my dewalt drill’s batteries

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

Now 35

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hbag posted:

and those 40 minutes are going to be really worth it :)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Also today was the 12th anniversary of adopting Cassie and she’s not going to make it to 13 it’s been bittersweet all day :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Also today was the 12th anniversary of adopting Cassie and she’s not going to make it to 13 it’s been bittersweet all day :smith:

that sucks, cassie looks like a very good dog :(