Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coxswain Balls posted:

What are the chances of it being good like Briscoe and McCoy era L&O and not whatever it started to become in the later seasons?

50 / 50, at best. I'm not thrilled by the idea of Rick Eid running the show; while I enjoy Chicago PD as generally dumb fun whenever it doesn't waste an entire episode on Marina Squerciati's boring-as-gently caress character, it is waaaaaay too heavy on the side of copaganda for my tastes, and I'm kind of afraid of Eid bringing that sensibility to Law & Order.

fartknocker posted:

The McCoy thing is interesting because IIRC SVU wasn’t consistent with him after vanilla ended. He showed up a few times and was name dropped some more, but then there were some other episodes referring to a new, unnamed DA that made it sound like he’d left.

Season 13 establishes that McCoy is out of office (Cutter mentions "the new DA"), but he's suddenly back in office in season 19, when Barba gets prosecuted for assisted suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Bring Stone back from the dead. Do it Dick Wolf, you coward.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bring Stone back from the dead. Do it Dick Wolf, you coward.

Pretty sure he and Michael Moriarty aren't on speaking terms anymore, not since Moriarty went batshit crazy and completely off the reservation.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Who would be the current day equivalent to Fred Thompson?

Opposite politics but Franken?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Pretty sure he and Michael Moriarty aren't on speaking terms anymore, not since Moriarty went batshit crazy and completely off the reservation.

I remember looking up Moriarty on the internet years ago, wondering why he'd left the show and what he'd got up to, and just :stare: at the results.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh yeah he's like totally batshit crazy. He makes Qanon look like sane rational people.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Whenever an episode comes up with a seconds counter on the location cards I get pumped because it's gonna be something like trying to find a kidnapped child or a murderer on the loose. I like how they do it sparingly enough that it's exciting when it happens.

This one starts up and it turns out the time pressure is "they need to find the spree killer before opening tipoff at tonight's Knicks game because Lennie has some sweet courtside tickets". This show is awesome.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Whenever an episode comes up with a seconds counter on the location cards I get pumped because it's gonna be something like trying to find a kidnapped child or a murderer on the loose. I like how they do it sparingly enough that it's exciting when it happens.

This one starts up and it turns out the time pressure is "they need to find the spree killer before opening tipoff at tonight's Knicks game because Lennie has some sweet courtside tickets". This show is awesome.

That just reminded me. They better not do some bullshit where one of the cops in the reboot is Lennie's long lost son we never knew about.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jose Oquendo posted:

That just reminded me. They better not do some bullshit where one of the cops in the reboot is Lennie's long lost son we never knew about.

They’ll bring back Ken Briscoe from SVU :v:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Could be his grandson. His (living) daughter is probably old enough to have an adult child by now. It'd still be a stretch, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God drat what a bummer of an ending to that episode.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Kudos for Sundance putting together a "Sopranos on Law and order" marathon and not just running all of Michael Imperioli's episodes in a row.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

The best of these is S7E19 “Double Down”, which has a straight timer (a kidnapping) and then takes some absolutely crazy twists to keep the clock going for days. Features a scene in McCoy’s apartment, even. And then the Order “half” (it’s one of those episodes with the timing a bit blurred) features one of McCoy’s top five tricks ever.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Am I the only person who loving hates that OC is constantly present in SVU? I think that I find it extra grating because 1. I hate the idea of Olivia hooking up with Stabler. 2. My least favorite SVU episodes are the ones involving organized crime. 3. SVU feels weird and disjointed because it has to bend itself into knots to make Stabler-show fit into it.

Everyone just seem tired and done with the whole thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sarcopenia posted:

Am I the only person who loving hates that OC is constantly present in SVU? I think that I find it extra grating because 1. I hate the idea of Olivia hooking up with Stabler. 2. My least favorite SVU episodes are the ones involving organized crime. 3. SVU feels weird and disjointed because it has to bend itself into knots to make Stabler-show fit into it.
The crossover in the SVU episode didn't really make sense to me. If Stabler is working undercover then surely he would not be able to go out in broad daylight to work another case, right? Did I miss something?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

J-Spot posted:

The crossover in the SVU episode didn't really make sense to me. If Stabler is working undercover then surely he would not be able to go out in broad daylight to work another case, right? Did I miss something?
I didn't get it either :shrug:
The episode suddenly turning into this huge rear end mafia operation merely to create drama between Benson and Stabler kind of ruined the emotional impact of the victim and her last lines. It kind of downplayed her experience. I guess that was the point but it was just so poorly done.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If the eventual new vanilla Law & Order doesn’t have the same slightly dingy squad room from the 27 they had for all 20 seasons of the original, it should automatically fail.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Random SVU episode as background noise, and I think my new favourite line just came from Stabler: "Jason, if you bring a lawyer into this, it'll just screw everything up! They just make things worse!" :allears:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Just saw the new episode of SVU and loving lol. Rollins and FINN of all people get super mad at the new guy for getting a bit rough with a perp. Like waaay less than what they usually do themselves.
Love when they just amnesia stuff on this show. Some of the best episodes have been when they have to face their cruel treatment of perps. Like when Olivia gets confronted by the guy who was raped in prison after they specifically threatened that that's what was going to happen to him. Or when Stabler tried to live in solitary confinement and realized how inhumane and mentally damaging it was.
.... Aaaaand then they continue to threaten people with the very same things a few episodes later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Random SVU episode as background noise, and I think my new favourite line just came from Stabler: "Jason, if you bring a lawyer into this, it'll just screw everything up! They just make things worse!" :allears:

he's not wrong, think about all the L&O episodes that would be neatly tied up if the second half just never happened

what do you mean those people are frequently actually not guilty, the cops caught them

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Sarcopenia posted:

Just saw the new episode of SVU and loving lol. Rollins and FINN of all people get super mad at the new guy for getting a bit rough with a perp. Like waaay less than what they usually do themselves.
Love when they just amnesia stuff on this show. Some of the best episodes have been when they have to face their cruel treatment of perps. Like when Olivia gets confronted by the guy who was raped in prison after they specifically threatened that that's what was going to happen to him. Or when Stabler tried to live in solitary confinement and realized how inhumane and mentally damaging it was.
.... Aaaaand then they continue to threaten people with the very same things a few episodes later.

Real cops don’t learn from their mistakes (or the mistakes of others) so I’d say this is pretty accurate. 🤷‍♀️

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My favorite line that shows up in the commercials for SVU is when Huang is yelling at Elliot, "What are you gonna do next, bash in someone's skull to make them talk?!". Like, probably?

Then in one episode they're talking to a serial killer in a cell, no guards, Stabler riles the serial killer up, Huang warns him to back off because something is up...Then it turns out that the serial killer had memorized guard shifts or something, attacks, and gives Huang a concussion!

...I miss Huang, he was my favorite. Though I guess if he had continued to be on the show he would have ended up either being killed or attempting to kill Finn or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t he leave to play a psychiatrist on another series that was cancelled after one season? He could have come back.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Didn’t he leave to play a psychiatrist on another series that was cancelled after one season? He could have come back.

Yes, he was on Awake, which was a criminally under-watched show.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else having trouble scrubbing that final shot from OC out of their brain?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else having trouble scrubbing that final shot from OC out of their brain?

YES omg

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So today on TV it was the SVU episode with Judd Hirsch and Wallace Shawn playing the crotchety old Jewish stereotypes. And, for the most part, their performances are a lot of fun. It's a good episode. But then you get Benson basically listing off their Jewish stereotypiness as evidence of being sexually assaulted as children. And I dunno, that seems kinda hosed. Needed Munch to set them straight.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm finally caught up on the last couple of SVU & OC episodes, and just...I really need someone on the internet to hate the Rollins/Carisi couple with. Will anyone join me, please? :ohdear:

My notes about the Wheelhouse episode are as follows:
* A well-acted episode with guests that had nothing to work with.
* How the hell did the victim get the impression that Carisi liked Rollins? Did she even see them look at each other more than once?
* I wish the douchebags' lawyer had been Buchanan. This guy was great and all, but Buchanan would have been greater. So much smarm.

J-Spot posted:

It really seems like he's TRYING to get caught sometimes. Between talking to his son seriously, when are we going to find out that Eli is the son of the dude Kathy had sex with while she & Stabler were separated? in broad daylight in front of a public school and going back to his actual home every day, is he making any kind of effort to keep this Eddie Wagner thing going? It's not like going undercover is some regular old 9-5. Does he take weekends off too?

Also, skulking around that charity party, talking into his wrist, standing in the corner -- like, dude. Also also, Sergeant Bell's dress really should have drawn more attention to her than it did, but it was like she & Stabler were walking around with invisibility cloaks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm finally caught up on the last couple of SVU & OC episodes, and just...I really need someone on the internet to hate the Rollins/Carisi couple with. Will anyone join me, please? :ohdear:

Is there any pairing within the SVU universe that wouldn't be absolutely terrible? Now they're trying to pair up Olivia and Stabler, and well that's just going to be awful news for everyone involved, but Carisi and Rollins? Who are both established as... Flawed characters, at best? It will be funny when Rollins's sister shows up again and robs their home, though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Rappaport posted:

Is there any pairing within the SVU universe that wouldn't be absolutely terrible? Now they're trying to pair up Olivia and Stabler, and well that's just going to be awful news for everyone involved, but Carisi and Rollins? Who are both established as... Flawed characters, at best? It will be funny when Rollins's sister shows up again and robs their home, though.

You can only hope it ends with Rollins' sister murdering the both of them at dinner to steal her kid as her own as a way to write it all off the show.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rappaport posted:

Is there any pairing within the SVU universe that wouldn't be absolutely terrible?

McGrath and Rollins's sister would introduce some interesting, albeit hosed up, plot elements.

Come on, we're in season 23, let's get weird. Let Liv go full Florence Nightengale & bone one of the vics, let Carisi bone a lawyer, just end the show with a big rear end SVU orgy, why not?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

YeahTubaMike posted:

McGrath and Rollins's sister would introduce some interesting, albeit hosed up, plot elements.

Come on, we're in season 23, let's get weird. Let Liv go full Florence Nightengale & bone one of the vics, let Carisi bone a lawyer, just end the show with a big rear end SVU orgy, why not?

SVU is gonna end with Benson as police commissioner but still doing the initial interview of every guy Manhattan SVU arrests for public masturbation because her job totally doesn’t require anything else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

Well, they have had orgies on the show, just not with the main cast, er, starring. I feel like Olivia's too respectable to bone a vic nowadays though, that would have been a storyline for somewhere around season 5? Back then, Stabler's already beating most of 'em to a pulp, Liv can pick up what's left and go to town.

And given where Carisi works nowadays, he has definitely boned a lawyer or two.

And as I'm writing this, I suddenly realize I really, really don't want to see geriatric old man Ice-T naked. Just, please, no.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s funny seeing how bad Stabler is at this undercover stuff, people keep saying that they don’t know or trust him, but he still keeps leaving to see his family or talk to the other cops.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh god, I finally caught up on everything and lmao. Stabler really is super terrible at being undercover, he was being so obvious at that party. Also when he got drugged I at first thought that entire conversation with Benson about the letter didn’t actually happen and he was in Bell’s living room the whole time tripping balls imagining it.

Also I’m enjoying Albanian Crime Lord Vinnie Jones :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOLY gently caress posted:

Also when he got drugged I at first thought that entire conversation with Benson about the letter didn’t actually happen and he was in Bell’s living room the whole time tripping balls imagining it.

I wanted to cringe myself inside out during that scene. Has Christopher Meloni ever been under the influence of anything in his entire life? I've seen better high-acting in Lifetime movies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Poor Reggie. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HOLY gently caress posted:

Oh god, I finally caught up on everything and lmao. Stabler really is super terrible at being undercover, he was being so obvious at that party. Also when he got drugged I at first thought that entire conversation with Benson about the letter didn’t actually happen and he was in Bell’s living room the whole time tripping balls imagining it.

Also I’m enjoying Albanian Crime Lord Vinnie Jones :haw:

He's seriously the worst undercover ever. For God's sake, beyond all the going back to his house and the police station, he asks so many questions. Like, first rule of undercover work is that you don't make yourself conspicuous.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1455290366110752772?s=21

Seems like a good pick. I fell off Burn Notice after a couple of seasons but I remember liking him as the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh man I was already going to watch but if Donovan is lead? Hell yea :getin:

Donovan was great Burn Notice and all his characters he did in the show were great. Always loved seeing him pop in movies like Sicario. And I recall he was amazing in Fargo but it's been a while since I watched it. Also have a fond memory of him in The Pretender .

And IMDB lists him as being in 3 episode of the OG series.