Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i lied this is still the jigen appreciation zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

p.s. part 6 just started. it looks like it's set in LONDON ENGLAND and based on one episode it seems alright

you can watch it on HiDive in some areas apparently:
https://www.hidive.com/tv/lupin-the-3rd-part-6

pretty weird to see albert return so i wonder if there's gonna be a lot of returning chars this season since theoretically that one guy who definitely isn't james bond from pt4 might show up

edit:
lmao i forgot about thread symbol tag poo poo whatever

anyways the ed is loving INCREDIBLE

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 17, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode seemed more about Holmes than it did about Lupin but I imagine that’ll change soon.

Also, the guy who’d been voicing Jigen since the very beginning retired after the prologue episode that aired prior to this. From here on he’ll be played by Akio Ohtsuka (who was the Japanese voice of Solid Snake/Big Boss in the Metal Gear series). Somewhat ironic considering his late father Chikao Ohtsuka played Goemon briefly back in the 70’s.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Larryb posted:

The first episode seemed more about Holmes than it did about Lupin but I imagine that’ll change soon.

The theme of the season is supposed to be "Mystery" so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a lot from Lupin's perspective. Lupin's usually got everything figured out, and we follow holmes/lily instead as they try and solve everything around Lupin it could be pretty cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyronic posted:

The theme of the season is supposed to be "Mystery" so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a lot from Lupin's perspective. Lupin's usually got everything figured out, and we follow holmes/lily instead as they try and solve everything around Lupin it could be pretty cool.

Makes sense, still seems interesting so far regardless though

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

gently caress I just finished part 1. Now there is a new one?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DelilahFlowers posted:

This is the show’s 6th season, yes (7th if you want to include A Woman Called Fujiko Mine)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DelilahFlowers posted:

I don't think anyone watches Part 2, with its 200 or so episodes, all the way through. It's not like Lupin is big on continuity anyway. Part 5 makes a bunch of references to previous parts, but mostly in an Easter egg-y way; it has a few episodes that are throwbacks to the style of Part 2 (and in one case Part 3), and a few characters of the week from Part 2 make brief cameo appearances, but there's no actual important plot points being called back to. I think the only actual plot threads in Part 5 building on previous parts were all from Part 1 (e.g., Goemon originally being Lupin's enemy).

That said, Part 6 will probably be building on Part 5 (that's where Albert was introduced) and maybe Part 4.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
4, 5, and 6 could be thought of as having some continuity and it feel united enough that they may as well have been a continuous Part 4 rather than three different parts whose major differences is setting and the arc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

It's not like Lupin is big on continuity anyway.

Actually, I'll go further and say that the Lupin franchise blatantly ignores continuity (including fairly central points of characterization) between series, and Part 1 and Part 2 aren't even consistent with themselves. Zenigata is sometimes portrayed as competent enough to catch any criminal except Lupin (and even Lupin only gets away by luck at times), while in other episodes he's a complete buffoon. For that matter, Lupin himself is sometimes hypercompetent and sometimes (especially in Part 2) a horny idiot. Lupin also becomes a lot less ruthless about a third of the way through Part 1 (around the time Miyazaki takes over) without any real acknowledged character development in-universe. Fujiko's competence also fluctuates, as does her level of sexualization and her tendency to betray Lupin. (Miyazaki tried to tone down the rather sexist femme-fatale trope, but sometimes he went too far in the other direction and almost turned her into one of his little-girl heroines; some later writers who didn't share Miyazaki's feminist sensibilities turned her into an outright damsel in distress.) Jigen is probably the most consistently written, but even then, whether he's gay and whether he's American seem to depend on the writer.

Silver2195 posted:

That's not even getting into timeline issues: What years were the main characters born in? (You have to either apply a Marvel-style sliding timescale or assume an offscreen adventure involving a fountain of youth or similar plot device to keep the characters using smartphones in Part IV consistent with the Part I episodes explicitly set in the 70s.) Fujiko has a bunch of backstories that don't quite fit together. (Apparently this is because in the original manga, there were multiple characters named Fujiko Mine, which Part I combined into a single character.) Mamo, one of the few recurring true villains, is such a pile of inconsistencies that the wiki suggests, "This can be attributed to the fact that these stories may have taken place in different universes or that the existance [sic] of a time machine caused the space time continuum to crumble."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

4, 5, and 6 could be thought of as having some continuity and it feel united enough that they may as well have been a continuous Part 4 rather than three different parts whose major differences is setting and the arc.

Even then, Part 5 ignores the ending of Part 4. Lupin suddenly becomes world-famous due to the Lupin Game; but shouldn't he already be globally notorious because he was blamed for an incident in which most of the population of Italy was briefly knocked out?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think anyone watches Part 2, with its 200 or so episodes, all the way through. It's not like Lupin is big on continuity anyway. Part 5 makes a bunch of references to previous parts, but mostly in an Easter egg-y way; it has a few episodes that are throwbacks to the style of Part 2 (and in one case Part 3), and a few characters of the week from Part 2 make brief cameo appearances, but there's no actual important plot points being called back to. I think the only actual plot threads in Part 5 building on previous parts were all from Part 1 (e.g., Goemon originally being Lupin's enemy).

That said, Part 6 will probably be building on Part 5 (that's where Albert was introduced) and maybe Part 4.

You just wait.

The time Lupin took on Inspector Columbo's son, Bolonco, is going to prove central to this season's arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Even then, Part 5 ignores the ending of Part 4. Lupin suddenly becomes world-famous due to the Lupin Game; but shouldn't he already be globally notorious because he was blamed for an incident in which most of the population of Italy was briefly knocked out?

Also Part 5 itself ended with him revealing to Fujiko that even his normal face was just a mask (which 6 thankfully seems to be ignoring so far)

chiasaur11 posted:

You just wait.

The time Lupin took on Inspector Columbo's son, Bolonco, is going to prove central to this season's arc.

He already seems to be up against what I assume is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes who just happens to have the same name so I guess anything’s possible.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

its vaguely interesting that 4/5 are blue jacket while 6 is back to green jacket despite pt6 being connected to pt5 via albert at least

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also Part 5 itself ended with him revealing to Fujiko that even his normal face was just a mask (which 6 thankfully seems to be ignoring so far)

I always took that to mean that Lupin recently had plastic surgery and then started wearing a mask of his previous face, rather than that he was always wearing a mask from the beginning.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

He already seems to be up against what I assume is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes who just happens to have the same name so I guess anything’s possible.

I think that's another continuity issue; didn't Lupin already meet Sherlock Holmes III in a throwaway Part 2 episode?

Edit: Lol, Part 2 actually had two completely different Sherlock Holmes IIIs: https://lupin.fandom.com/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_III_(Part_2_Episode_15)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 18, 2021

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I always took that to mean that Lupin recently had plastic surgery and then started wearing a mask of his previous face, rather than that he was always wearing a mask from the beginning.

given how much of parts 4 and 5 have to do with identity and how lupin is so fluid as a char/series its kind of the kicker to that

"his relationship w fujiko is that she is one of the cores of his identity/the series regardless of ehat role she is filling"

its a really fantastic kind of followup to the thesis of the mine fujiko series which is also exploring similar concepts

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

That makes a lot more sense at least so let’s go with that (though doesn’t he say something just beforehand about showing her “Lupin’s true face” or something along those lines?)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't watched a Lupin since Fujiko Mine, which is also the only Lupin I watched but I decided to hop on this season and the first two eps were a lot of fun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So apropos of basically nothing in Part 6 itself, I will be putting my (non-existent) chips on the squares "The villain is going to be Moriarty" and "Zenigata and possibly Lestrade arrest Moriarty for the crime of being Moriarty by the end of the series".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Lupin fights James Bond in this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lupin III actually revealed in the original manga that the face he normally wears is just another disguise. Like in the final episode of part 5 it's not show what his actual face looks like.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I hope Lupin fights James Bond in this.

He already did that in Part 4.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

He already did that in Part 4.
That dude with the echolocation was more like some kind of weird bat man IMO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The James Bond vs Lupin was one of the TV specials

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering nobody’s aged a day since the 70’s I think we’re meant to believe the show is on some kind of sliding timeline.

On another note, I’ve never actually read the Lupin manga though I hear it’s very different from the anime version in some respects. Is it worth checking out regardless though?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Considering nobody’s aged a day since the 70’s I think we’re meant to believe the show is on some kind of sliding timeline.

On another note, I’ve never actually read the Lupin manga though I hear it’s very different from the anime version in some respects. Is it worth checking out regardless though?

It's darker and Lupin is more of an outright villain.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Visually it's very different too as Monkey Punch's style was very much more influenced by Mort Drucker than other manga styles

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is it still good in spite of the stark contrast to the anime though?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's always kind of weird whenever Lupin and his crew do something that almost definitely kills a bunch of cops who weren't doing anything particularly evil besides "trying to catch Lupin," although the police of every nation do seem to have decided that "unchecked lethal force" is appropriate in spite of Lupin's case in spite of the fact that, aside from occasionally using rocket launchers against the police force, is a surprisingly nonviolent criminal.

After thinking about this it is probably because there is not much for the police to actually do in a high-speed car chase against a master criminal and his borderline-supernatural accomplices if they aren't allowed to deploy ranged weapons.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Killing a bunch of cops is, at worst, morally neutral hth

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rand Brittain posted:

It's always kind of weird whenever Lupin and his crew do something that almost definitely kills a bunch of cops who weren't doing anything particularly evil besides "trying to catch Lupin," although the police of every nation do seem to have decided that "unchecked lethal force" is appropriate in spite of Lupin's case in spite of the fact that, aside from occasionally using rocket launchers against the police force, is a surprisingly nonviolent criminal.

After thinking about this it is probably because there is not much for the police to actually do in a high-speed car chase against a master criminal and his borderline-supernatural accomplices if they aren't allowed to deploy ranged weapons.

its the same logic as the Yakuza games, Kiryu has never killed anyone, especially all those high speed chases with helicopters, motorcycles, and tanker trucks exploding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh no, near the end of part 5 the gang stopped dicking around and explicitly killed a shitload of cops. so many dead cops.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh no, near the end of part 5 the gang stopped dicking around and explicitly killed a shitload of cops. so many dead cops.

they killed a LOT of people in part 5 and i love it

it makes the part near the start w lupin and those punks where he talks about how he's a thief and sometimes that means they steal lives too

esp. in the context of stealing identities (including the very title/identity of lupin the third) AND murdering hella people

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fereydun posted:

they killed a LOT of people in part 5 and i love it

it makes the part near the start w lupin and those punks where he talks about how he's a thief and sometimes that means they steal lives too

esp. in the context of stealing identities (including the very title/identity of lupin the third) AND murdering hella people

I think the one bit where they kill people in part 5 that didn't quite work for me was towards the end, when they were making the one last big break from the cops. Most of the time, when Lupin's actually killing people rather than vague explosions happening and think what you will, they're characterized as people who definitely have it coming, one way or another. They'd kill Lupin in cold blood if he didn't get the drop, or they're selling slaves, or there's some other plot point that emphasizes why Lupin's going full throttle rather than showing his more standard caution.

The last fight had a couple lines to show these cops were assholes, but there was nothing to make it clear why Lupin and Jigen were going with active murder rather than trick shots and stunts like with the police earlier in the series, and nothing came of it after. It just feels like there's a tiny bit missing to either spin it as "Hey, Lupin's our likable, charismatic hero, but he's also a stone cold killer whose scruples are more a matter of whim than any deep morals, and he'll ditch them in a heartbeat if he feels like it" or "Lupin's totally in the right here and you should cheer as he and Jigen kill these dudes."

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lupin said ACAB

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they killed cops, not people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also pretty sure Lupin did not kill those cops was just Jigen, who was doing so to rescue the captured Lupin from an armoured truck, and had few other options to free him.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
That entire sequence is a punchline. We see the various tonally different but still canon iterations of Lupin throughout part 5 that makes it look like he can get away by pulling something cartoonishly harmless and have a preceding speech by Zenegata about how he knows Lupin is a good guy deep down and wishes they could be friends. Then they just waste one hundred cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

That entire sequence is a punchline. We see the various tonally different but still canon iterations of Lupin throughout part 5 that makes it look like he can get away by pulling something cartoonishly harmless and have a preceding speech by Zenegata about how he knows Lupin is a good guy deep down and wishes they could be friends. Then they just waste one hundred cops.

That's kind of the problem. It might have been meant as a punchline, but it didn't play like one, which makes the whole scene feel awkward in a season that's mostly really solid.