Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

How much? link?

I haven't played ETT in months, I was thinking on buying one as to motivation to come back again.

I've seen them on Amazon for 30 bucks, but I got mine off Aliexpress for like 10 including shipping. Just search "amvr paddle".

e: Aliexpress link here

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So my VR Ears finally arrived this afternoon and.... they're pretty great, actually :peanut:. Sound is amazing, and I was worried it had a bit of a hum initially but just needed to turn up the SteamVR volume and turn DOWN the volume on the VR Ears. Lone Echo 2 sounds amazing if you wave your thrusters about, and I can't wait to try H3VR with these.

For anyone else who has a Vive Pro and is getting/wants these, you'll need a Phillips-00 screwdriver to do a bit of minor surgery on your headset. Aside from the obvious bit of removing the earpods and replacing them with the plastic covers, you have to remove the cable guide on the left side of the headset strap. There's three tiny screws along its length you'll need to undo and it'll pop free. The cable can just hang free thanks to the cable guide on the back of the headset with no issue, and just don't install the guide for the top-left strap of the left VR Ear pod, because it'll mount on the groove.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 21, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only RE4VR releases this week on Quest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUtqw7_XVQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

I had watched before two or three films in the Quest 2, as a private cinema. But yesterday I decided to try something in 3d Avatar of course.
I never liked 3d in real cinemas, but in a VR headset, without flickering, glasses dimming the image, a good resolution and perfect stereoscopic effect (separate views for each eye), I have to say it was a pretty drat good experience!

Yeah I watched a bunch of 3D stuff in the headset now, it's super cool seeing the effect really effortlessly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Yeah I watched a bunch of 3D stuff in the headset now, it's super cool seeing the effect really effortlessly.

The PSVR's resolution's pretty so-so by modern headset standards, but if you've got 3d-capable blu-rays it's a great way to watch them through a PS4/5.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

They are saying
"Join us for a live event on Thursday October 21st, and witness the unveiling of our most highly anticipated product release yet."

So who knows, maybe this will be their first "prosumer" product. I imagine something expensive, like close to $2000, but still way cheaper that their current professional offerings.

Oh look ,I was right! 1990€ (+taxes)
https://uploadvr.com/varjo-aero-announced/
https://varjo.com/products/aero/

Varjo Aero

Dual mini-LED displays with 35 ppd peak fidelity, 150 nits of brightness, and a 115° field of view for stunning edge-to-edge clarity.
Crystal-clear, variable resolution, aspheric lenses offering a massive step-up in visual fidelity over consumer-grade Fresnel optics.
Automatic IPD adjustment and ultra-fast, built-in eye-tracking at 200 Hz for a tailored, optimal experience to every user, every time.
Premium lightweight comfort with a 3-point precision fit headband, active cooling, and optimized ergonomics for long-duration usage.
Get the ultimate experience of SteamVR content including Microsoft Flight Simulator, and excel with professional 3D software such as Gravity Sketch and KeyVR.
No annual software subscription but full access to Varjo Base software updates, including a high-definition virtual desktop with Varjo Workspace.
Weight 717g
edit: oh yeah, this is the headset. You are expected to buy some Index knuckles or whatever and the base stations.
/compares prices... Oh, so it's four times more expensive than the Index, once you factor in taxes.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 21, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfhEz7pURaI

IGN gave it 9/10 and are pretty happy with it. I’m sure I’ll end up getting it but I’m going to wait until I can see exactly what is and isn’t in it in terms of extra content / rewards. I know Mercenaries and Ada aren’t in but is the same NG+ progression of keeping permanent/unlimited unlocks in place? Does professional make any additional changes in VR? Is the Plaguas Remover or the rest of the special weapons moved to other sections in terms of obtaining them or has it all been simply removed?

I’m a sucker for yet another RE4 port, but if the game is strictly just the campaign with no incentive for replays, I’ll happily wait for a sale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Varjo Aero

Dual mini-LED displays with 35 ppd peak fidelity, 150 nits of brightness, and a 115° field of view for stunning edge-to-edge clarity.
Crystal-clear, variable resolution, aspheric lenses offering a massive step-up in visual fidelity over consumer-grade Fresnel optics.
Automatic IPD adjustment and ultra-fast, built-in eye-tracking at 200 Hz for a tailored, optimal experience to every user, every time.
Premium lightweight comfort with a 3-point precision fit headband, active cooling, and optimized ergonomics for long-duration usage.
Get the ultimate experience of SteamVR content including Microsoft Flight Simulator, and excel with professional 3D software such as Gravity Sketch and KeyVR.
No annual software subscription but full access to Varjo Base software updates, including a high-definition virtual desktop with Varjo Workspace.
Weight 717g
edit: oh yeah, this is the headset. You are expected to buy some Index knuckles or whatever and the base stations.
/compares prices... Oh, so it's four times more expensive than the Index, once you factor in taxes.

That's pretty much as-expected given their other products. I'm more surprised there's no audio solution beyond "use earbuds", or an effort to integrate the Index's audio system just to make it as premium as possible. What's frustrating about it is you couldn't even try to mount VR Ears onto that thing to work around that problem, because there's so stuff bolted onto the sides of the straps there's nowhere to even try it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

I've seen them on Amazon for 30 bucks, but I got mine off Aliexpress for like 10 including shipping. Just search "amvr paddle".

e: Aliexpress link here

I bought the cheapest one I saw, just 11€ lol. All of them seemed the same in pictures. I will comment on it when I receive it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So odds that we'll see any Quest 2 deals this holiday season? My Quest 1 is making GBS threads the bed (cracks in the case due to other issues causing it to drop guardian a bunch), and I would like to upgrade. I'm happy to pay full but if there is probably going to be some $100 black friday deal I'll be annoyed if I don't wait another few weeks.

All the same things you can do with Quest 1 in terms of sideload/custom beat saber etc you can still do with Quest 2 right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chin Strap posted:

So odds that we'll see any Quest 2 deals this holiday season? My Quest 1 is making GBS threads the bed (cracks in the case due to other issues causing it to drop guardian a bunch), and I would like to upgrade. I'm happy to pay full but if there is probably going to be some $100 black friday deal I'll be annoyed if I don't wait another few weeks.

All the same things you can do with Quest 1 in terms of sideload/custom beat saber etc you can still do with Quest 2 right?

Probably not going to be major hardware deals since they did a minor refresh recently to make the base storage 128gb and it's still selling like crazy. You might get $10-25 off if you're lucky but it's no way going to be as heavy at $100 off unless they're absolutely rabid about selling more.

And yes it's still the same OS on it so sideloading Beat Saber mods works the same way.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kinda sucks that it doesn't have any passthrough cameras.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

Kinda sucks that it doesn't have any passthrough cameras.

Apparently that was a deliberate choice to cut down the weight of the HMD.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

njsykora posted:

Probably not going to be major hardware deals since they did a minor refresh recently to make the base storage 128gb and it's still selling like crazy. You might get $10-25 off if you're lucky but it's no way going to be as heavy at $100 off unless they're absolutely rabid about selling more.

And yes it's still the same OS on it so sideloading Beat Saber mods works the same way.

Thanks! Probably will just order then. Although I saw someone say just wait until after the 28th in case there are any announcements at FB Connect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently that was a deliberate choice to cut down the weight of the HMD.

Adn the price, I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demeo update

quote:

Today is the day we’ve all been waiting for! We just released the save game session feature, allowing you to save checkpoints and pick up where you left off at a later time. We also added two new cards, a new lamp and some improvements for the overall game experience. We hope you enjoy it!

Save game session feature: You can now save a checkpoint at Cleepto’s Bazaar to continue your game later. The host will be presented with the option when entering the bazaar between levels. Launch a saved checkpoint by going to ‘host game’ or ‘skirmish’ and select ‘continue’ to see your available saves. You can store up to three multiplayer checkpoints and three skirmish checkpoints.

New card/lamp: Vortex Lamp - When broken, the vortex lamp drags all creatures towards its center and deals 1 damage. It can be found on levels and as a card in chests.

New card: Regroup - Teleport all of your teammates to your position, no matter where they are on the map.

Game updates:
Save game session feature added (checkpoints)
New card/lamp: Vortex Lamp
New card: Regroup
Added option to choose which adventure to play when using quickplay
Improved randomization of rooms in quickplay. This also makes it easier to find new rooms when encountering an inactive host
Reworked the line-of-sight to solve an issue where the magic wall didn’t work as intended and fixed an issue where enemies were able to attack through walls, etc.
Added an in-game message when a player leaves, joins or gets kicked
General bug fixes

I had the issue with the magic wall. I even did a screenshot when magically, monsters went through a blocked corner. :/

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Sure seems to be a lot of whining about censorship and “historical erasure” in the comments on these here RE4VR reviews, guess I’ll go look up wtf they’re talking about….

They, uh, removed the “ballistics = boobies” lines. :banjo:

Edit: ok removing the “I thought you’d be older” line is kinda strange but I’m ok with it as long as it doesn’t set a precedent for removing all the “lol Sam ur old” radio slams in some future Splinter Cell remake.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 21, 2021

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Adn the price, I guess.

Not like they'd have to put the full deluxe optics package in there. Something like the cameras on the Index would probably be enough.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

Sure seems to be a lot of whining about censorship and “historical erasure” in the comments on these here RE4VR reviews, guess I’ll go look up wtf they’re talking about….

Edit: ok removing the “I thought you’d be older” line is kinda strange but I’m ok with it as long as it doesn’t set a precedent for removing all the “lol Sam ur old” radio slams in some future Splinter Cell remake.

There were a pair of lines where I thought 'oh, they are not THAT bad, as to need to remove them' (not the ballistics one). But in total it seems they changed 5-6 sentences in the entire game, so yeah, people like to get outraged.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leathal posted:

I think there’s some merit to the conversation since it’s pretty funny to trim/cut out all the flirty cheesy lines from a 15 year old game obviously going for a B-Horror film style back then. Doubly so when it’s a classic game in every sense of the word that has been ported to literally every other console / gaming system including the Nintendo Switch and not once has the idea of editing the game had been considered because… who’s ever complained about this poo poo before??? And triply so because it’s the obvious American stereotype of censoring the (barely) sexual innuendo out of a game that features zombies, horribly violent deaths, and generally a ton of super graphic combat where you’re mowing down hundreds of zombified villagers and cultists.

But it’s also such a little thing (literally like 6 lines/scenes total were cut) that has no bearing on the actual meat of the game (gameplay) that I can’t be bothered to really care about it. My grievances with the port are the obvious lack of Mercenaries, Ada, and possibly more. I still can’t find any information of what exactly is in the game outside of the campaign and the shooting gallery training.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Yeah it's minor but giving Facebook editorial say about games is a bad precedent given, ya know, they're Facebook

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, Luis creeping on a teenager is gross but it's just kind of a dumb thing to scrub from a 10+ year old game. :shrug:

I just wish I had the option to play it but oh well!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I deleted my Facebook years ago when they did something particularly horrible. When I got my Quest 2 I tried to go slinking back to my old account but they wouldn't let me. Strangely enough it was because they thought my name was fake. I have a last name that gets a lot of reactions from people, and in between my first and second account creations it was the title of a popular TV show.

Facebook happily took a fake last name though, and they haven't touched my account since.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Yeah it's minor but giving Facebook editorial say about games is a bad precedent given, ya know, they're Facebook

You know, the only way to actually play the game is to pay FB for it in a device that you also paid money to FB, so *you are actually giving them money for them to have editorial say*.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gangringo posted:

I deleted my Facebook years ago when they did something particularly horrible. When I got my Quest 2 I tried to go slinking back to my old account but they wouldn't let me. Strangely enough it was because they thought my name was fake. I have a last name that gets a lot of reactions from people, and in between my first and second account creations it was the title of a popular TV show.

Facebook happily took a fake last name though, and they haven't touched my account since.

They're mostly just looking for human-like behaviour really. The big fuckup was the Quest 2 launch when a whole lot of people made throwaway accounts for their new headset relatively-simultaneously and heuristically it made Facebook's account AI upset because it looked like someone was making a shitload of bot accounts so *BAN-BAN-BAN* :awesomelon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a few full playthroughs on YouTube already and I’ve been glancing through them. Game looks/play real well. The attache/marchant UI looks a little too cluttered and small but manageable if you’re used to the systems. Feels like they could have maximized the virtual space and make it less cramped, tho.

Still can’t find any clips on special weapons or professional mode but I assume at least professional is in.

Full motion + dual wield is absolutely hilarious to see in action. Completely breaks the game in a “this is fun as hell” way :lol:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, Luis creeping on a teenager is gross but it's just kind of a dumb thing to scrub from a 10+ year old game. :shrug:

I mean it's a Japanese game so what do you expect

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Turin Turambar posted:

You know, the only way to actually play the game is to pay FB for it in a device that you also paid money to FB, so *you are actually giving them money for them to have editorial say*.

You're right and if we all walk more we can stop climate change. Stop buying into the propaganda that the buck stops with personal responsibility as opposed to the garbage mega corporations. Spoiler alert:. I don't own a quest or any VR device made by oculus.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think Ashley, Luis, and Leon are all in their 20s

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

Varjo Aero

Weight 717g

The eye tracking and foveated rendering is super cool

I don''t think I can go back to wired though :(

edit: oh you have to buy everything else separately. That def pushes it out of my price range!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It took 16 years, but they finally paid off the joke

Your right hand comes off!?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Professor Wayne posted:

I think Ashley, Luis, and Leon are all in their 20s

Yeah, I just looked it up and she's about 20 in RE4. So it's not as creepy, but Luis is still a sleaze.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More games out today

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
resi 4 is very well done. the sense of scale is perfect which I wasn't expecting since it was made for 3rd person. looking forward to playing past the giant first monster boss for the first time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I read two interesting things about RE4VR:

-It seems it actually works in the Quest 1 ! People have tried sideloading it and it works. Not sure how well, they say it runs fine.
-The resolution in Quest 2 is 1728 x 1904, which is higher than the default resolution most games use.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Any Oculus Go owner here?
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/unlocking-oculus-go/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty much as-expected given their other products. I'm more surprised there's no audio solution beyond "use earbuds", or an effort to integrate the Index's audio system just to make it as premium as possible. What's frustrating about it is you couldn't even try to mount VR Ears onto that thing to work around that problem, because there's so stuff bolted onto the sides of the straps there's nowhere to even try it.

Speaking as someone who uses hearing aids (which don't just crank volume, they play with frequencies to help me hear things that otherwise would be lost to me) the off-ear sound solutions of VR headsets in general have been wonderful. It's too bad that a high-end headset goes for "use earbuds".

I'm a little surprised to see this from a "headset quality above all" company because while earbuds are a good way to pipe sound directly into a person's brain, it's also a powerful way for your brain to flag the sound as "not real". In other words, earbuds are good for music but bad for (virtual) immersion. Maybe Varjo's quality focus is less on the experience as a whole and more on the HMD and visuals alone, leaving audio up to the user.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Eyes Have It posted:

Speaking as someone who uses hearing aids (which don't just crank volume, they play with frequencies to help me hear things that otherwise would be lost to me) the off-ear sound solutions of VR headsets in general have been wonderful. It's too bad that a high-end headset goes for "use earbuds".

I'm a little surprised to see this from a "headset quality above all" company because while earbuds are a good way to pipe sound directly into a person's brain, it's also a powerful way for your brain to flag the sound as "not real". In other words, earbuds are good for music but bad for (virtual) immersion. Maybe Varjo's quality focus is less on the experience as a whole and more on the HMD and visuals alone, leaving audio up to the user.

I must be weird. I actually prefer IEMs or high end buds over my index audio since it closes off all outside noise. I mean I still use my index audio 95% of the time because I'm lazy, but if I wanna get ultra immersed, i plunk in some earbuds and close out the world.

I wonder if thats down to the hearing aids? Have a buddy who VRs and uses BT ones so I think he just ties into the BT and uses that instead of headset audio.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My Q2 bobo strap just snapped after a few months, does anyone else have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

EbolaIvory posted:

Have a buddy who VRs and uses BT ones so I think he just ties into the BT and uses that instead of headset audio.

Hearing aids that can accept bluetooth directly are nice, but not all of them can do that. I had a pair that did, once, but things sounded "off" when using them that way, so it was more about convenience than anything.

Off-ear audio allows my ears and hearing aids to just work, uh, naturally I guess I would call it. Between eyeglasses and astigmatism and hearing aids, I gotta tell you poo poo feels like a pain in the rear end a lot of time. I take my rays of sunshine where I can get them.