Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Nitrousoxide posted:

This was in there. The Reverend Mother chastises Jessica for not having only daughters as she's about to leave on her ship.

A lot of people are whining about missing stuff there is actually in the loving movie. It's usually people that gives it bad reviews which should tell a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spergin Morlock posted:

it will be the final season of Dune on HBO and people will hate it like they hated GoT

oh no help me step-ghola I'm stuck

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

They could have done the dinner scene but just had everyone milling around mixing instead of sitting at a table, then you could have all of that be spoken dialogue between characters as they pass by or whatever.

Once again I'm glad goons don't make movies

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've read the book and honestly don't remember the "dinner scene" at all. All the inner thoughts stuff sucked.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

I've read the book and honestly don't remember the "dinner scene" at all. All the inner thoughts stuff sucked.

Nope nope. Gotta add in everything or the people who’ve read it 10 times will get mad. Especially the old school homophobia. Gotta have that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Happy Dune Day everybody

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The sleeper has awakened.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah so far the complaints about the movie sound like some weak "but where is Tom Bombadil?" poo poo, or telling on youself that you didn't pay attention.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I gotta be honest. I brought in a half pint of whiskey and drank it pretty fast and every time I took a pull I had a big gulp of coke with it so consequently I had to take a BIG piss during the last 30 minutes so I’m pretty mad about the 5 minutes I missed and will be giving this movie a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ZeusJupitar posted:

I've always assumed that the various other planets/groups who the Bene Gesserit had seeded with their prophecies would side with the Fremen, although I dunno if that's reflected in the books.

They definitely faced a great deal of resistance:

"Statistics: at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions..."

Dr.Radical posted:

Speaking of mentats, I liked that little bit where when the mentats are doing calculations their eyes roll back. Or was that supposed to be like the lens that goes over a crocodile’s eyes when they go underwater?

I really liked that but they only do it once which if I was a non-book reader would make me think he just had the numbers on hand.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

The sleeper has awakened.

the spice must flow

and by spice i mean weed

and by flow i mean get in my lungs

10.5 hours to go!!!!!! :dance:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dr.Radical posted:

I gotta be honest. I brought in a half pint of whiskey and drank it pretty fast and every time I took a pull I had a big gulp of coke with it so consequently I had to take a BIG piss during the last 30 minutes so I’m pretty mad about the 5 minutes I missed and will be giving this movie a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Just lmao if you don't wear a giant diaper to the screening and tell people that you're theme dressing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Simone Magus posted:

the spice must flow

and by spice i mean weed

and by flow i mean get in my lungs

10.5 hours to go!!!!!! :dance:

Definitely the best way to see it

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Weed, Dune and IMAX was v cool. I nearly had a panic attack during the scene when he put his hand in the box.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Groovelord Neato posted:

I really liked that but they only do it once which if I was a non-book reader would make me think he just had the numbers on hand.

I think both Hawat and De Vries did the eye thing at least once but I could be wrong

also I can't remember if they actually ever referred to Piter De Vries by his name

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Miguel Prado posted:

Weed, Dune and IMAX was v cool. I nearly had a panic attack during the scene when he put his hand in the box.

I live in a country where getting weed is not super easy so I didn’t have it when I saw this unfortunately so I have nothing to add here except: DUDE YES. That sounds perfect

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1451174429954818048?s=21

Another 3 year hype cycle begins lol

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Filthy Hans posted:

I think both Hawat and De Vries did the eye thing at least once but I could be wrong

also I can't remember if they actually ever referred to Piter De Vries by his name

Vries does it very fast while talking with the Sarduakar commander.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bad Bad Office lmao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
the Sopranos movie was interminable and dumb

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

the Sopranos movie was interminable and dumb

Sopranos is practically a comedy and there's nothing funny in the entire flick. Can't imagine how bad an entire prequel series would be.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sopranos is practically a comedy and there's nothing funny in the entire flick. Can't imagine how bad an entire prequel series would be.

I hooted when they said the varsity athlete line. Hooted and hollered

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Groovelord Neato posted:

The guys who played Sal, Paulie and Big Pussy looked like they were trying out for a gig at SNL

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Many saints is probably the worst thing I watched this year. In his defense perhaps david chase used up all of his power resisting the studio's demands for someone to say gabbagool

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

Nope nope. Gotta add in everything or the people who’ve read it 10 times will get mad. Especially the old school homophobia. Gotta have that

https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/1451169406067871744

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ah yes like the Baron, Trump was famously keen on meeting his enemies face to face and using cunning and complex planning to outwit them.

Like, Trump is easily one of the dumbest humans on planet earth. The baron is not very Trumpy.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Trump posted:

A lot of people are whining about missing stuff there is actually in the loving movie. It's usually people that gives it bad reviews which should tell a lot.

Anyone can dislike the movie for whatever reason but there's a few recurring whiners that I find hard to take seriously:

1. People upset that things they like from the books aren't in the movie, but that are phrasing it as "I am concerned that non-book readers won't understand what is happening." As you said, plenty of these things are in the movie. They just want more of it, for its own sake. Not really a movie criticism.
2. People who just want Dune to be a carnival of weirdness.
3. People complaining that it's "cold." Not unfounded, but extremely predictable and at this point it just means "I don't like Vileneuve or Nolan movies." Which, hey, fair enough. You knew what you were getting into watching this Denis Vileneuve movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess maybe there just isn't enough space in a movie adaptation of dune for a depiction of the baron that doesn't have to resort to "loooooves disgusting fluids" to convey that he's a bad guy. There's a reason people go to bat for the miniseries version despite, well, it being the dune miniseries

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Ah yes like the Baron, Trump was famously keen on meeting his enemies face to face and using cunning and complex planning to outwit them.

Setting aside whether the Baron Harkonnen is or should be portrayed as a Trumpy queen (lol), the comparison to the Emperor in Star Wars is absurd. The actual antagonist in Star Wars is Darth Vader. Imagine George Lucas watching the rough cut of a A New Hope and thinking "this isn't working. Darth Vader needs to be a lot more fun and gay."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pedro De Heredia posted:

2. People who just want Dune to be a carnival of weirdness.

a lot of people had their brains scrambled by Jodorowsky's Dune documentary so unless there are golden dolphin toilets and chriss foss checkered spaceships its not enough Dune or something

Baron is a lot of fun here, just the different kind

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It doesn't get much more "brains scrambled by jododune" than thinking the harkonnens should have a gigeresque aesthetic. Get your own ideas denis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Setting aside whether the Baron Harkonnen is or should be portrayed as a Trumpy queen (lol), the comparison to the Emperor in Star Wars is absurd. The actual antagonist in Star Wars is Darth Vader. Imagine George Lucas watching the rough cut of a A New Hope and thinking "this isn't working. Darth Vader needs to be a lot more fun and gay."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jewmanji posted:

The baron is not very Trumpy.
But Trump is a Baron. John Baron.

I know, it's "Barron"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

But Trump is a Baron. John Baron.

I know, it's "Barron"

When they film Dune Messiah the Baron's ghost/possession scenes will just be those recorded phone calls of "Hi this is John Baron I just wanted to say as Mr. Trump's Baron Harkonnen's spokesperson that people are saying he is just absolutely great, huge hands and everyone loves him"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know about trailers for books but there's an art/design book for DUNC coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrJYtoVmrU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/RealChalamet/status/1451282856119050242

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
it's easy to compare Trump to literally any bad politician because Trump is bad in pretty much every way it's possible to be bad

he's like the Everydouche

edit: TWO HOURS TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

only one way to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Steve Yun posted: