Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

in the world of ORB the people that can paint an eye are king

the Orb can tell if you are trying to deceive it and will punish you

quote:

Spoofing attacks involve presenting the Orb with modified, fake, or non-human irises. For example, an attacker might show the Orb a photo of an iris or an animal iris, hoping to generate a unique IrisHash. To defend against attacks like this, we’ve equipped the Orb with a suite of multi-spectral sensors and custom fraud-detection algorithms. This advanced anti-spoofing system complements the iris imaging system, and operates locally on each device.

also they answered my question finally:

quote:

The Orb is also resilient to various forms of tampering, including attempts to modify its software, extract its cryptographic secrets, or disable its anti-spoofing system. This resilience is critical, since any of these intrusions might allow a hacker to generate fraudulent IrisHashes. The Orb’s embedded systems reliably detect advanced attacks of this kind, and prevent corresponding fraud.

so yes, this is all privately controlled and the only way to access the network is via the Orb, fantastic

e:

quote:

To further increase the difficulty of an attack, Orbs will be remotely monitored and compared to other Orbs. Such monitoring is based on non-biometric metadata from the Orb, including battery level, temperature, and network strength. Anomalies will be flagged and lead to Orbs being deactivated. This anomaly detection happens in a controlled environment in the cloud and therefore comes with higher security guarantees than device-level spoof and tamper detection.

attempting to tamper with or disable an Orb will be detected by the Orb Collective and dealt with harshly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:orb:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
orb is dangerous and will attack if threatened

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Hmmmm I bet that website will totally still exist 1 year from now, still in the planning phase of solving the longstanding problem of "unique-humanness" which magnify the potential intelligence of this kind of SOCI at least as much as the neocortex magnified the intelligence of the mammalian brain.

And whoever gets there first will "win" in a fashion that is rarely seen in history.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

orb declares that people born without eyes or who lost them due to an accident are not human

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Hmmmm I bet that website will totally still exist 1 year from now, still in the planning phase of solving the longstanding problem of "unique-humanness" which magnify the potential intelligence of this kind of SOCI at least as much as the neocortex magnified the intelligence of the mammalian brain.

And whoever gets there first will "win" in a fashion that is rarely seen in history.

what are you talking about they already solved it and have production models of Orb ready to go, get in on the ground floor with Orb today before it's too late to get on its good side

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
do not taunt happy fun orb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prior art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yQhXDquII

drk
Jan 16, 2005
wait a minute

https://operator.worldcoin.org/dataconsent.pdf posted:

Furthermore, like all software, the Algorithm is not error free and may make an incorrect decision, such as determining that you have already claimed your Worldcoins when you haven’t

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vortmax posted:

do not taunt happy fun orb

dammit i was racing to remember how that bit went :argh:

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Boxturret posted:

orb declares that people born without eyes or who lost them due to an accident are not human

Sweet, they've already hooked Orb up to Delphi

Eyeless humanoid
It is unnecessary

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why the ‘Big Short’ Guys Think Bitcoin Is a Bubble

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i can't get enough of this Orb website

https://i.imgur.com/sdtfXpo.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e9KhJPyEhM

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shame Boy posted:

so yes, this is all privately controlled and the only way to access the network is via the Orb, fantastic

classic crypto pattern: solve all the problems crypto introduces with centralization; claim it's decentralized anyway because it's "on the blockchain"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

orb exposure is very dangerous so operators can not work more than a two hour shift managing the orb

thread is sleeping on this hilarious detail imo. 20 people, working four at a time in shifts, for the amazing capability of eight hours a day!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

thread is sleeping on this hilarious detail imo. 20 people, working four at a time in shifts, for the amazing capability of eight hours a day!

yeah i was wondering about that, i guess the Orb must require a ton of maintenance every night or something

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HappyHippo posted:

it is and it's the same loving problem with every blockchain "solution" that tries to map to real world objects: the blockchain only records the movement of numbers, it can't do the hard part which is guaranteeing that those correspond to anything in the real world

It’s a “complicated math problem,” which means it can be solved by entering a specific random number in a plain-text notepad file to verify that I am Napoleon “on the blockchain,” making it undeniable!

“gently caress off with your drugs, Dr Ali, the blockchain prooves I am Napoleon!”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

okay it literally is just a magic orb, excellent.

man orbing dudes must pay real well I guess

I always thought Piper was the prettiest. I bet Leo “orbed” that poo poo all the time!!!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
can't wait to contact my credit card company to have my eyes replaced because hackers stole them

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

stare into the Orb's dark black void

Put your hand in the Box Orb and control your pain to avoid the Gom Jabbar.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
couldn't orb just keep a copy of everyone's eye pattern? 'cuz that's what i'd do, you know, just in case i ever felt like taking everybody's money and running

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

give your eyes to ORB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT5qC1HLemM&t=4820s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boxturret posted:

orb is dangerous and will attack if threatened

pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to orb

caution: orb may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds

orb contains a proprietary secure core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled or looked at

discontinue use or orb if any of the following occurs:
  • itching
  • vertigo
  • dizziness
  • tingling in extremities
  • loss of balance or coordination
  • slurred speech
  • temporary blindness
  • profuse sweating
  • heart palpitations

if orb begins to smoke, get away immediately. seek shelter and cover head

when not in use, orb should be returned to it's special container and kept under refrigeration. failure to do so relieves the makers of orb, worldcoin incorporated, of any and all liability

the composition of orb includes an unknown glowing substance which fell to earth, presumably from outer space

do not taunt orb

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The_Franz posted:

the composition of orb includes an unknown glowing substance which fell to earth, presumably from outer space

orb is satoshi?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EorayMel posted:

"ORB OPERATOR"

orberator

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
dehumanise yourself and face to bloodorb

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Didn't click yet will provide a tl;dr: because it is.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

of course it is. it's late-stage capitalism in it's purest form: burning resources purely to manipulate an imaginary number with no intrinsic value whatsoever

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

is it a bubble? or is it an O R B

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
losign my worldcoins because there was a tiny bit of lint on the sensor

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midjack posted:

orberator

Roy Orbison

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1451204574442835970

this is getting to the point of the 2008 american housing bubble, where normal people who have nothing to do with it will suddenly be told that their pensions are gone

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 21, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Satoshi may have the teeth, but the ORB has the eyes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wow I can't believe we didn't see that ORB thing already. the TC story links to a Bloomberg article from June. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-29/sam-altman-s-worldcoin-will-give-free-crypto-for-eyeball-scans

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

losign my worldcoins because there was a tiny bit of lint on the sensor

it just means that orb will require you to get a bit of lint surgically implanted in to your iris!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It sounds like the orb eats your eyes and a QR code that maps to a wallet, to consider that QR code as belonging to a unique person. So if someone gets you to present the wrong QR code, your eyes belong to their wallet now and you can never be considered a unique person.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

i love orb

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
seriously, have none of these orb people watched Demolition Man?

:nms:for those who also haven’t:nms:

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 21, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1451204574442835970

this is getting to the point of the 2008 american housing bubble, where normal people who have nothing to do with it will suddenly be told that their pensions are gone

I posted last year about how I had a bit of anxiety about this. People with honest to God real amounts of money can manipulate poo poo. Even the “essential” poo poo. It wouldn’t even have to cost a lot of money: The NSA, Microsoft, and Amazon server farms could decide to grab a 51% mining share with their server farms and change everything, including the balances of every exchange and personal wallet. And the infrastructure is already there and paid for… no capital needed except someone to write the software. And there is nothing anyone could do to stop it. It wouldn’t even be illegal because regulation in the space doesn’t really exist except a wrist slap if Biden’s accountant messed up reporting the taxes. I don’t think RICO works, either: is it against the law if you form a conspiracy to do something, um, legal? Every time the Girl Scouts get together to sell cookies breaks the law I guess.

It scares me because my Papa John left a generous amount in his will to pay for my Granny’s care at home. While I laugh at the coin shenanigans, some 27 year old true believer is trying to cover up his loss of half of her retirement and housing American dollars by doubling down on the same process and losing all of it. Institutions see easily manipulated gains in an area only their techbros in the mailroom talk about, and millions and billions are suddenly exposed to real risk of vanishing overnight. Some of these idiots get influence with politicians and suddenly Appleton doesn’t have police, fire, or money for subsidized utilities in the projects and the Country Club. That poo poo could be worse than nuclear winter, just because we can’t afford to harvest wheat, much less buy gas to truck it to the cities. We could have the worst famine in history with billions of tons of rice rotting in a field in Louisiana while New Orleans starves. Anybody dipping their pinky toe in these waters with a hedge fund’s capital should be smacked down. HARD. Even Madoff only devastated a small amount of people who may have lost $100M in one afternoon, but the vastest number of his victim pool weren’t necessarily evicted or inconvenienced much in their standard of living. No elderly couple had to eat dog food under the overpass because even the most brain dead boomer had professional folks to stop that. “Sell your third Learjet, Jeff, we were outbid on the fake meat burger deal!”

It’s not as funny as it used to be.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.