Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

also even hn didn't like that dude, apparently paul graham shadowbanned him a year before he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

http://harmful.cat-v.org/society/children/ posted:

Children are nothing more than a toy some parents use to feed their ego and feel important. They are a nuisance and make life miserable for everyone else around.

Some recommended articles for parents, prospective parents, or anyone that has to suffer the evils caused by little evil goblins.

:kstare:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I wonder what Zed Shaw and _why thought of each other

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

linux desktop sees bt fitness band
android sees bt fitness band
android sees bt headphones
linux desktop DOES NOT see bt headphones

totally normal things going on in broadcom + fedora 34 land

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Trying to install Arch for the first time whilst also tired, I now have a computer with no network connection that I can't download a package to fix because...no network.

(I know I can drop back into the live USB and fix it, I'm just marvelling at my ability to cut the branch I'm standing on).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Trying to install Arch for the first time whilst also tired, I now have a computer with no network connection that I can't download a package to fix because...no network.

(I know I can drop back into the live USB and fix it, I'm just marvelling at my ability to cut the branch I'm standing on).

this is a Linux rite of passage, you haven’t done anything wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Last Chance posted:

this is a Linux rite of passage, you haven’t done anything wrong

not true, they installed linux, for one

and arch no less

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

true

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

there is virtue in making something and then letting it go

dropped it like a sack of flour

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
For what it's worth, I'm only trying Arch out of desperation after experiencing the "Linux has no sound lol!" meme in reality for the first time ever under Debian. I have never touched it before and expect my chances of success are minimal.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is a joke suggestion but if you have a usb wireless or wired ethernet then that might be a good crutch for now.

Also, you can install ubuntu, which just works.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

flashpoll, which one would you rather see in a script:

(1) cat butt | grep fart | cut -d' ' -f1

or

(2) cat butt | awk '/fart/ { print $1 }'

?

neither because both cats are superfluous.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

sb hermit posted:

this is a joke suggestion but if you have a usb wireless or wired ethernet then that might be a good crutch for now.

Also, you can install ubuntu, which just works.

Look if I can't spend hours hand-crafting my own hostname file and agonising over which network manager to forget to install, what is even the point of doing a Linux?

If I wanted poo poo to just work I'd use the best Linux: Windows

(Realtalk I tried Ubuntu first and was rewarded with no video trying to use the amdgpu driver. Debian gave me video but no sound over HDMI, which is workable in a pinch but not ideal so I figured I'd go for broke with Arch before I give up).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
if nothing else you've had the wholly authentic linux experience top to bottom so far.

i hope you found some varying and possibly contradictory suggestions for manual edits to config files that did not solve the issue either because the things they referenced don't exist on your system or because a minor version difference in some component means they no longer work as described

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Look if I can't spend hours hand-crafting my own hostname file and agonising over which network manager to forget to install, what is even the point of doing a Linux?

If I wanted poo poo to just work I'd use the best Linux: Windows

(Realtalk I tried Ubuntu first and was rewarded with no video trying to use the amdgpu driver. Debian gave me video but no sound over HDMI, which is workable in a pinch but not ideal so I figured I'd go for broke with Arch before I give up).

here are the correct choices in arch linux imo:
- networkmanager for networking - all the other ones inevitably break or are missing important features ime
- pipewire with pulseaudio adapter for sound - its now a drop-in replacement to the point that all the regular pulseaudio tools like pavucontrol work the same with it

and dont forget to systemctl enable them because they aren't enabled by default for whatever reason

and yeah i pretty much always need to boot back into the usb stick and arch-chroot again because i forgot to install networkmanager the first time, or because i forgot to run both grub-setup and grub-install since they're buried in separate sections of the grub install guide. most arch docs are great but the install guide structure makes it real easy to miss important steps

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also recommend use a tool like yay or similar for installing AUR packages like awscli-v2 or steam or slack-desktop. annoyingly yay itself has to be installed using go tools, i wish it was just a regular package. maybe there's a different one that's available as a regular package

e: actually it looks like you can just grab a prebuilt binary from the releases page

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 19, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

systemd-networkd is alright if you have very basic networking needs but otherwise iawtp

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

AUR packages like awscli-v2

whats the deal with Amazon themselves not packaging awscli? I get not providing Arch packages (no disrespect but it's a bit niche) but they don't even provide debs or RPMs, just a tarball you can unzip into /. packaging is hard and stuff but smaller orgs than AWS manage to either get packages into the big distros or operate their own yum/deb repositories that you can configure. why does Amazon refuse?

that question isn't necessarily for Mr. JPEG specifically but your post made me think about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

could be some combination of the following:
- to be fair, arch linux users probably aren't famous for wanting to get real work done with their machines
- is awscli still python-based? if so its probably enough of a headache just getting it packaged for the more mainstream stuff like ubuntu/fedora
- probably not a lot of upward career mobility in getting a cli tool to work on B tier/C tier linux distros

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

- pipewire with pulseaudio adapter for sound - its now a drop-in replacement to the point that all the regular pulseaudio tools like pavucontrol work the same with it

pipewire is great, and the only real bugs now are from userland software doing terrible things that it shouldn't be doing, ala

https://twitter.com/flibitijibibo/status/1447705283556487168?s=20

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Progressive JPEG posted:

here are the correct choices in arch linux imo:
- networkmanager

I'm glad my tactic of picking the most generic sounding option has paid off.

Boring update: it works! I can finally get that sweet sweet upscaled N64 emulator action going in both sound and vision.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jammyozzy posted:

I'm glad my tactic of picking the most generic sounding option has paid off.

I can finally get that sweet sweet upscaled N64 emulator action going in both sound

are you sure about that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i wonder what slackware's up to these days

does it have systemd yet

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sapozhnik posted:

are you sure about that

I woke my partner up at 11 last night by accidentally blasting the Goldeneye theme. I'd cranked the TV volume all the way up loving around with another distro and forgot to turn it back down :shobon:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

also even hn didn't like that dude, apparently paul graham shadowbanned him a year before he died

i thought you were talking about esr and it was saddening to see the present tense on his wikipedia page.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
is anyone using rocky linux in production yet or is that a clown question

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ansible Adams posted:

is anyone using rocky linux in production yet or is that a clown question

Rocky linux became a joke the second IBM made RHEL free for <= 16 systems

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

im dealing with a lot more than 16 systems here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ansible Adams posted:

In that case, no idea. It looks like Rocky Linux has a release. :shrug:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i hope rocky linux use roman numerals for their release numbering

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Ansible Adams posted:

pay up then

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DoomTrainPhD posted:

When was this

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

february, so a whole four months before rocky's first release

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

matti posted:

pay up then

not up to me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ansible Adams posted:

not up to me.

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://rockylinux.org/sponsors/

AWS, Microsoft, Google and Azure are all sponsors, so it'll be likely that more images and stuff will be tested on that platform.

Anyways, I'll probably pick it up at some point for testing, before I start moving services from CentOS 8 to rocky linux. The kicker is that I likely have some stuff on Stream, so that could (in the worst case) necessitate a reinstall rather than just running a script.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I installed pipewire on the recommendation of this thread and it is really great both architecturally and in allowing me to loving BLAST lovely music at my friends over discord while also talking to them. It really does work seamlessly as a drop-in replacement for pulseaudio.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Maximo Roboto posted:

I wonder what Zed Shaw and _why thought of each other

Lol, if they were to ever touch eachother we'd get a time cop situation

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sb hermit posted:

https://rockylinux.org/sponsors/

AWS, Microsoft, Google and Azure are all sponsors, so it'll be likely that more images and stuff will be tested on that platform.

Anyways, I'll probably pick it up at some point for testing, before I start moving services from CentOS 8 to rocky linux. The kicker is that I likely have some stuff on Stream, so that could (in the worst case) necessitate a reinstall rather than just running a script.

yeah the list of sponsors seems to bode well for the project, and we're still mostly rhel 7 so we have room to find the right rhel 8 derivative for us. this one definitely seems like the most promising. we'll launch some dev envs with it and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m using rocky in dev now. it’s exactly what i want: centos 8 but supported. “free” rhel8 is clearly a trap and lol if you voluntarily give ibm money when you have any alternative