Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I am passing because I got stupid pets who have stupid bills and I have stupid bills and rent coming up.

I will not buy anything...

:same:

But also Vinegar Syndrome is next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ended up with

When We Were Kings
Love & Basketball
My Dinner With Andre
and Onibaba

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Clockwork Orange 4K steelbook back in stock: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/a-cloc...p?skuId=6470857

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Already gone. Bummer.

Picked up Tremors 4K from the Arrow sale!

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 20, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
drat. Hope it helped someone here.

RE: Tremors 4K, it looks great! A seriously good job for a B-movie like it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tremors 4K is on my Christmas list so I left it alone. I mentioned that it was on sale though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Tremors 4k is one of the easiest recommendations if you like the movie. The movie looks fantastic. The real honeypot is the special features, though. I had sorta known that they built Perfection for the film, but seeing how they built THE ENTIRE TOWN from scratch, and the location scouting, and the production design is just awesome. There's also an entire history of the film from the pitch to the writing to the production to the release to the flop to it being rediscovered on VHS and it's growth as a cult classic, and that was also great.

Kevin Bacon also does an interview and he says Tremors is his favorite movie he's worked on, and it's the only film of his he rewatches.

There's hours of stuff. I spent a night watching through the extras, and I maybe got through 1/3rd of them.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
$11 shipping for a single blu ray from Arrow is ridiculous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

$11 shipping for a single blu ray from Arrow is ridiculous.

That's why you buy 22 blu rays so it's only $0.50 each for shipping.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Seriously who buys a single disc in a sale? lol!

I bought:

Elvira
Hellraiser 1 & 2
The Loveless

Surprisingly fast turnaround too, they sent it out in like a day.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

That's why you buy 22 blu rays so it's only $0.50 each for shipping.

I thought Arrow didn’t do flat shipping rates.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Arrow stuff is already on the way too. Since it’s DHL I’m thinking it’ll get transferred to USPS and stuck in my mailbox. There’s another Blu (Night of the Demon - Indicator) in there already that took forever to show up, and I’m out of town till the weekend. Not that my neighborhood has any issues. I’ve had packages sit on my porch overnight before.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I loathe when something gets sent with DHL, it just means I'm 100% gonna get dinged with another 10-20 dollars in fees :canada:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
My Arrow buys were just upgrades, really:

The Thing
Robocop
To Live and Die in LA

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

E.G.G.S. posted:

I loathe when something gets sent with DHL, it just means I'm 100% gonna get dinged with another 10-20 dollars in fees :canada:
I thought they completely pulled out of the US after their plans to compete with UPS and FedEx didn’t work out 20ish years ago. But then every once in a while something will get sent through them and USPS handles last mile.

I ordered some books from Amazon.Ca one time and they got sent by DHL and then some weird local delivery service took over.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought some stuff because of sales.

Criterion:

Night of the Living Dead

This thing is jaw dropping.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

This thing is jaw dropping.

A total revelation. It was such a rare thing because the movie had this bizarre path through public domain where we'd all seen it on various third-rate DVDs and T.V. broadcasts and then this Criterion blu ray comes along and it completely transformed the film for me. It's a must own on the same level as any Kurosawa or Berman or Altman Criterion release.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

A total revelation. It was such a rare thing because the movie had this bizarre path through public domain where we'd all seen it on various third-rate DVDs and T.V. broadcasts and then this Criterion blu ray comes along and it completely transformed the film for me. It's a must own on the same level as any Kurosawa or Berman or Altman Criterion release.

I would buy a 4K release in a heartbeat.

A shame Day doesn’t seem to be line for any sort of 4K treatment anytime soon. It needs some love.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, previously the best release available was Elite's Millennium Edition DVD which had its own flaws, but the Criterion Bluray was a revelation since film restoration technology finally got good enough where they could handle the water damaged negatives.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1451189050052775948

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my copy of The Man Who Saves the World (aka Turkish Star Wars). Other than the need to fill in missing footage from video sources (ranging from YouTube quality to what seems like a slightly better VHS rip) and it being a BD-R...

- AVC compression with maxed out bitrate, encoded 1080p, has 21 chapters
- Sound is PCM 2.0 mono
- 1.66:1 aspect ratio (video sourced portions are windowboxed a la Metropolis)
- Removable English subtitles
- No aggressive noise reduction on either the picture or sound
- Has a BFI/Kino style text intro warning about quality variations.
- Actually has the Turkish theatrical trailer (assumed it was the one shown online)
- Packaging is a proper non-eco Blu case and even has a miniposter enclosed.

It's hilarious that a gray market release like this had more care put into it than a ton of major studio poo poo. Whoever put this out deserves a pat on the back

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So it didn’t actually have the SW footage included? I figured they went all the way.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
does the title bar on the arrow site go to the middle of the page blocking the content for anyone else?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

It's hilarious that a gray market release like this had more care put into it than a ton of major studio poo poo. Whoever put this out deserves a pat on the back

it is an absolute treat, yeah

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So it didn’t actually have the SW footage included? I figured they went all the way.

The 35mm print is incomplete, as there's a lot of splices and missing sections, so those are filled in with video sources. It's rather seamlessly done. It actually has more footage than the bootleg that's probably the most familiar version online. Not unlike how the 2010 restoration of Metropolis uses pristine 35mm whenever possible, but all the stuff that survives in 16mm has extra black borders because the source didn't contain the full frame.

I really like how the publisher actually notes this on the back cover (and on the website), in addition to the text card before the film. If this isn't the work of a pro (perhaps one of Arrow's or Indicator's guys), they deserve to working with the proper boutique labels.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 22, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The 35mm print is incomplete, as there's a lot of splices and missing sections, so those are filled in with video sources. It's rather seamlessly done. It actually has more footage than the bootleg that's probably the most familiar version online. Not unlike how the 2010 restoration of Metropolis uses pristine 35mm whenever possible, but all the stuff that survives in 16mm has extra black borders because the source didn't contain the full frame.

I really like how the publisher actually notes this on the back cover (and on the website), in addition to the text card before the film. If this isn't the work of a pro (perhaps one of Arrow's or Indicator's guys), they deserve to working with the proper boutique labels.
Ok. I thought it meant you only got the Turkish material and had to go and put it back together yourself.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Got my copy of The Man Who Saves the World (aka Turkish Star Wars). Other than the need to fill in missing footage from video sources (ranging from YouTube quality to what seems like a slightly better VHS rip) and it being a BD-R...

- Sound is PCM 2.0 mono
- Actually has the Turkish theatrical trailer (assumed it was the one shown online)

Anyone who tracked down a 35mm print of The Man Who Saves the World is absolutely doing it as a labor of love.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, there’s a story there and I want to hear it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I wonder if they went looking for it or if it was a similar situation to the goon who found an original print of Manos.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I need to set a rule for myself that I only buy UHDs that I know I'm going to rewatch. I bought Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not really sure why I did. While it looks good on UHD, that movie is punishing and I'm not sure I ever want to watch it again :negative:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SPR usually gets once a year watch from me. It’s a real technical achievement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Anyone who tracked down a 35mm print of The Man Who Saves the World is absolutely doing it as a labor of love.

Last known surviving print, apparently

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can’t find the cut stuff from Event Horizon, and Michael Mann refuses to have anything to do with the cut material from The Keep, but some rando goes and cuts Turkish Star Wars back together and sticks it in a nice package all on his own.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Can’t find the cut stuff from Event Horizon, and Michael Mann refuses to have anything to do with the cut material from The Keep, but some rando goes and cuts Turkish Star Wars back together and sticks it in a nice package all on his own.

This poo poo is why I never lose hope.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't find the original post, but apparently Douglas Trumbull finally got the OK to do his 2001 documentary and it's going to feature the footage cut from the premiere version that was found about a decade ago in the vaults. (Note: It's "just" the first set of 65mm color separations prior to Kubrick recutting the film to the version everyone is familiar with and it's unlikely the soundtrack exists)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

- Sound is PCM 2.0 mono

Nice! I can't wait to watch it in November.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Indicator is having a sale, some of their stuff is region free, noted on the film's page.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

I watched their release of Night of the Demon last night and it looked amazing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Shout sale started and thoughts and prayers for their website.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh man, VS just canceled the UHD release of Censor (just doing a deluxe Bluray edition now). :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Oh man, VS just canceled the UHD release of Censor (just doing a deluxe Bluray edition now). :smith:

If anyone is curious, I did email VinSyn to see if there would be a UHD in the future, and this was the reply

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

There are no plans by any label to release Censor on UHD. The film’s post production was limited to 2k SDR and the conversion to 4K HDR was not feasible. We attempted it, but the results were not acceptable.

VS