Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Would this movie be okay for a 12 year old

I think it's fine. The average 12 year old on the average day probably sees and hears crazier poo poo in fortnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked this movie and I want to see part 2 but I get what people are saying about it feeling a bit bland. I liked all the casting choices and the dude who played Paul surprised me by making me like him as soon as we got to the gom jabbar scene.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

The violence isn’t graphic, there’s no nudity and not a huge amount of swearing.

There are definitely people dying and some weird parts that would make a younger viewer uncomfortable but it’s a pg13 movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ueYJZ7GSY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Once again I'm glad goons don't make movies

??? I have a ton of issues with the sci-fi channel miniseries but the way it includes and reworks the dinner scene like that is one of the things it handled very effectively.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Yes but have you considered watching The Goonies instead

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm a bit surprised at how little screen time Dave Bautista got, he was featured pretty heavily in the promos but he only got a couple of lines and then a quick scene where he beheaded some captured prisoners, that's it as far as I can recall

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
That's also my literal only complaint about the movie, having seen it twice now -- some of the peripheral characters we all know and love from the books, who got legitimate excellent casting -- they just don't get a lot of time to shine onscreen. Rabban, Piter de Vries, hell even the Baron. I truly hope they make an extended edition like LOTR got and yeah yeah I know the director would like NEVER DO THAT but gently caress that poo poo, use all the hours of footage you shot and give the fans what they want. This movie is for Dune fans. If the second part gets officially greenlit, that would be the SMARTEST way to drum up interest all over again before it comes out

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I really wanted more Thufir Hawat :(

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Fart Car '97 posted:

I really wanted more Thufir Hawat :(

Him and Gurney are going to feature fairly heavily in Part 2 though, if you know the book ;)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

AwkwardKnob posted:

Him and Gurney are going to feature fairly heavily in Part 2 though, if you know the book ;)

I do, but I also feel like they should have spent a little more time building his relationship with the family in Part 1 so that his arc is more impactful, because I think most people will just feel very whatever about him by the end.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They cut thufir in particular to the bone, I could certainly see omitting him in part 2

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/1451308000698851328?t=SuBSkP8Mc1KFWbStHEMWJw&s=19

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it good?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m 20 mins in and I want there to be 8 movies of this and for the love of god give me children of dune and god emperor.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
No way do I have time to catch up with 87 pages, but wow that film was fantastic!

Definitely worth waiting however many years that was (2020 sure as hell counts as more than one).

Took its time, never felt like it was rushing through the story. Epic in scale. Felt like it largely avoided big exposition dumps (at least from the POV of a book reader).

If they don't make a sequel, I say we riot...

Honestly, it felt like the best book to film adaptation I've seen since LotR. Loved every minute of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked it but didn’t love it, at least not yet. It felt a bit thin. So many of these actors had so little to do. My impression is that this would be far better as an 8-hour miniseries.

Arrakeen was really weird looking; that never registered as a city to me. I guess it makes sense that the sun would be totally blocked out, but they could have had at least one establishing shot from inside the city looking up at the palace or something. Most of the movie felt oddly depopulated honestly, even when there were crowds.

A strong part 2 could retroactively elevate this one, but I’ll believe that gets made when I see it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'll be having nightmares about the sights and especially sounds of Salusa Secundus.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Man I really liked it. Bombastic, visuals were great. Kinda wish it was a TV show or mini series. It was great setup but that's it.

If next week I was going to watch the next episode it would be great. Feels like I watched the least interesting part of the story and I worry that's going to hurt it with audiences.

And hurt the chances of the next one being made.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Goddamn I was so emotional when the movie ended, it was just so much from everything!

Definitely feels like stuff was cut out to shorten its runtime, some scene transitions just felt off to me.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's ok, I expected it to be sunk based on some of the casting choices and it exceeded my low expectations

it's uneven but the high points are very good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

axelord posted:

Man I really liked it. Bombastic, visuals were great. Kinda wish it was a TV show or mini series. It was great setup but that's it.

If next week I was going to watch the next episode it would be great. Feels like I watched the least interesting part of the story and I worry that's going to hurt it with audiences.

And hurt the chances of the next one being made.

Very similar. It has some flaws, but they’re all pretty much all caused by the basic idea of taking a super detailed and decently long book and turning it into a movie. The only ways to avoid those “flaws” would mess something else, or you’d just have to never even do it at.

Like the pacing was a bit on the slower side and they had to drop a bunch of little details that I liked in the book. But movies have a much more limited cap than books, because a movie can only be as long as you’re willing to do in one sitting. But if they sped up the pacing to cover more ground, it’d have a frenetic tone that really would fight the material. I like that it kept a slow build to sudden falls kind of rhythm and thought it really worked. So stuff had to be dropped and they did a drat fine job of picking and choosing what stayed and what went.

The one thing I’m actually curious and I swear not critical about : how salient were the shields to someone who hasn’t read the books? Like obviously they’re not gonna get the intricacies, but I don’t know if someone else would’ve gotten more than, “when they fight air go glowy and vrooom but sometimes red glowy and die.” Again not a criticism since I certainly don’t think something clearer like narration would’ve been any better and I thought they did well, but I want to sit someone down and hear what they thought was going on.

It’s a really cool detail, and they tried super hard to show it without explaining it, and I want to know how well they did.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

A tiny blip of sci fi beauty in the endless darkness of star wars and marvel forever and ever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Film was very good

Nitpicks:
The personal shields in the Lymch movie were cooler. On the other hand the swarms of dudes in shields lighting up in battle was awesome

Too many repetitive flashbacks

The shot of Paul’s hand melting in the pain box in the Lynch movie should have been in this movie, it was very anticlimactic without

Wish there was a navigator but oh well

Wish there was more Thufir

Bene Gesserits being bald looked striking in the Lymch movie and Villeneuve’s were kinda boring by comparison

That’s about it

Things I liked
The way sand gurgled and became liquid when sand worms came around

Most of the second half being full of surprises because I didn’t remember the book well and it was stuff that was cut from the Lynch movie.

Keynes going out like a boss

Making it clear the Fremen religion was planted

Bombs landing on shielded targets

Bigass lasers cutting through terrain

Heighliner looked awesome

The Voice was good

Landscape shots making it clear that the spice industry was a massive operation

Duncan getting fleshed out pretty well

A couple lines to make it clear that space travel and military action is super expensive

Making it clear the Bene Gesserit planted the Fremen religion

Dudes coming out of the sand

The palm trees burning, combined with the line about Dune being turned into a desert to make money

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 22, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

No navigator was a fuckin cop

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I got a big kick out of the hazmat crew lookin like Lynch’s Sardaukar

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha that too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Movie fuckin’ ruled but was too short. I would like a Director’s Cut please, I know you have one Villenueve, the meeting with the Reverend Mother was longer in the trailer.

But yeah, dang, it’s not the literal best adaptation of Dune theoretically possible but it’s drat close.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love the Daft Punk Crew but is that a loving Chambord bottle

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Steve Yun posted:

I love the Daft Punk Crew but is that a loving Chambord bottle

Looks sorta like a futuristic sci-fi take on the globus cruciger fashioned into a staff, sans the crucifix.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Saw the movie at home and enjoyed it quite a bit. While the pacing at times felt rather slow I was never bored and always glued to the screen. I think I'll go and get the imax experience Tuesday morning and have the whole theater to myself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Also, yeah, I wanted all the stuff that was cut out, but there's only one thing whose absence I really missed, and this is in spoilers for the sake of non-readers, because I'm going to casually drop a pretty massive plot twist from Part Two, so just maybe give this one a miss even if you saw the movie, ok.

It was part-and-parcel with everything Mentat being cut down to the bone, but I really felt the lack of the "Paul is a Mentat in training" stuff being gone. I think the point of Paul is that he is where everyone's plotting comes to a head. Atreides, Harkonnen, Bene Gesserit, Mentats, Fremen; they can all claim him as theirs. He's the fulcrum of history, he's the culmination of all dreams, he is the literal Messiah. And it's important that he be that, because he's ultimately a brutal criticism of Messiahs and a takedown of Great Man Theory, a thing Herbert points at to go "Look, that is what you want, isn't it just loving great, man you don't look happy at all, that's super weird". And in my opinion, Paul needs to be the ultimate Greatest Man Possible, the everything to every one, for it to work.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

:same:

watched dune it was extremely good and i want part 2 and part 3 and part 4 asap thanks

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Steve Yun posted:

My 9 year old daughter watched and liked it. Definitely not super terrible on violence or anything.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

dreffen posted:

My 9 year old daughter watched and liked it. Definitely not super terrible on violence or anything.

I was actually surprised by this, especially with Yueh's death Didn't have a problem with the lack of gore but was a tad surprised they were so clean with it. I guess they want parents to have an easy time taking their young teens to this.

I want part 2 yesterday. This was great, visuals were spectacular and most of the cast fit in perfectly. Paul is nigh-impossible to nail down, he's not a relatable character so if people don't "get" him I won't consider that a hit against the film.

Also, this landed WAY better than Foundation is. Which hurts cause I really want both to be great.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 22, 2021

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Definitely not his best. Blade runner was far and away better. Makes me wonder how much he owes to Deakins, his absence here was very apparent.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I went into this movie expecting it to be a murky incomprehensible mess based on the reviews and having never read the book and it was both easy to understand and extremely good wtf

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Parts of this movie did feel like a bunch of suits in a boardroom meddled with it, and demanded certain things of it. The lack of violence, and how clean the deaths felt, were almost for sure one of those things. Someone absolutely said "we want this to be our Star Wars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Really enjoyed it. Part 2 plz